Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

jabby posted:

Also read that Dominic "if it means some pensioners die, too bad" Cumming's 74-year old Uncle has died of coronavirus.

Sorry, with coronavirus.

Supporter of the Uncle Killing Party: “I never thought that [i]my[i/] uncle would be killed!”

E: 60: the number of minutes remaining in Boris Johnson’s life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/montie/status/1246899218905796608?s=20

no

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

jabby posted:

My issue with this is that I don't think the government wants to stop people hanging around in parks. They know it's not a big problem, it's just a handy scapegoat and distraction from their failings. Sending BoJo to hospital doesn't seem like a good PR move under any circumstances, since it just (unfairly) makes people think he's a weak leader.

He doesn't actually need to be in hospital. They just say he's gone in. Few checks, well, recovered, reunited with his pregnant girlfriend.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, or maybe I'm the only one seeing through d. Cummies 11th dimensional chess.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

winegums posted:

Maybe I'm being paranoid, or maybe I'm the only one seeing through d. Cummies 11th dimensional chess.

It's kind of the central point of PR - leaves you doubting the reality of basically everything. I think it's equally plausible that it's engineered or it's a genuine medical call. Guess we'll find out if we welcome PM Raab in a week or so.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you're going to make paranoid conspiracy theories you might as well get creative.

They're doing this to gauge peoples reactions, allowing people to see who is supporting him and who is crowing for his death. They'll prey on the unemployed and the bored curtain twitchers to do the legwork on identifying dissenters. Any such posts will be used in evidence when the peoples government kicks it into high gear. Or maybe, just maybe, they can intercept a letter a dissenter is about to receive from the DWP and lace it with a biological agent.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Azza Bamboo posted:

If you're going to make paranoid conspiracy theories you might as well get creative.

They're doing this to gauge peoples reactions, allowing people to see who is supporting him and who is crowing for his death. They'll prey on the unemployed and the bored curtain twitchers to do the legwork on identifying dissenters. Any such posts will be used in evidence when the peoples government kicks it into high gear. Or maybe, just maybe, they can intercept a letter a dissenter is about to receive from the DWP and lace it with a biological agent.

Well yeah obviously you can get silly with it but it's a pretty incontestable reality that perception management in politics is very much core business and differentiating between constructed messaging and objective reality can be a challenge.

Though I agree that staging the hospital trip for PR is probably unlikely, it can definately be leveraged favourably

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Or maybe Boris just overdid it on the coke and wine and it's better to say "oh yeah he's being checked for his covid"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If Bojo becomes martyred then it will be the same way that Churchill would have been martyred if he had died during the Blitz because he went out to shake hands with a Fritz fire bomb. Hail Saint Boris, the patron saint of twits and tossers.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nenonen posted:

If Bojo becomes martyred then it will be the same way that Churchill would have been martyred if he had died during the Blitz because he went out to shake hands with a Fritz fire bomb. Hail Saint Boris, the patron saint of twits and tossers.

I think it's a bit late to surrender to the germans

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In all likelihood Brexit will once more be delayed because of COVID, so...

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I don't know if he'd really get any martyr credit for dying of this. He just caught an infection in his house and died. His fans predominantly think this whole thing is overblown anyway.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

he got infected shaking the hands of the sick, he's basically jesus, or even better, lady di

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

not even #PrayForBojo

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

winegums posted:

He just caught an infection in his house and died.

Nadine Dorries killed Boris.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Either this is political theatre or Johnson is fighting for his life. Routine tests is a thoroughly unconvincing lie.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

jabby posted:

it just (unfairly) makes people think he's a weak leader.
Listen, if the man can't even control his own lungs how can he be trusted to run the country?

Also

big scary monsters posted:

I hope Johnson lives to stand trial for his crimes.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 6, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Never thought a pandemic could be simultaneously so loving awful and so hilarious, lmao

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I have taken some time this morning to mediate over the philosophical and moral ramifications of taking delight in the- oh gently caress this

loving shake hands with danger you poo poo-mellified wastrel, you can get banged right on your eton loving mess of a chin and if I ever get the chance I shall piss on thy grave, bastard

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Just remember to remain 2 meters away from anyone else attempting to pee on the grave.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Ms Adequate posted:

When I first saw Contagion I thought "Yeah there are people like Jude Law's character but it's probably a bit overstated in this for dramatic effect, in reality in a situation that serious he wouldn't get a huge audience"

it's me, i'm the loving moron dupe

The fact that the USA government behaves so calmly and professionally in Contagion provides an absolutely wild contrast with real life

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tomberforce posted:

Well yeah obviously you can get silly with it but it's a pretty incontestable reality that perception management in politics is very much core business and differentiating between constructed messaging and objective reality can be a challenge.

Though I agree that staging the hospital trip for PR is probably unlikely, it can definately be leveraged favourably

If Boris is doing this as a PR stunt, he kept someone with a genuine case out of a hospital bed to do it. Not out of character, but it cannot be "leveraged favourably".

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Kassad posted:

Just remember to remain 2 meters away from anyone else attempting to pee on the grave.

nice orderly queue, distance markers on the ground

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

If Boris is doing this as a PR stunt, he kept someone with a genuine case out of a hospital bed to do it. Not out of character, but it cannot be "leveraged favourably".

It absolutely can and is being (by favourably I mean in terms of public perception of the government, not anything actually good) . Scrutiny of the governments disastrously inept handling of this entire crisis is currently being lost in a wave of 'get well soon Boris'.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

*Quote is not edit*

:blush:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I think anyone who feels this is a PR stunt are too deep in the "Tories as PR masterminds" hole. At best, his condition is bad but not as bad as the average admittied patient but he's being put on oxygen by an abundance of caution for the prime minister. Doubt he'll be ventilated but think he'll just be on supplementary oxygen for a few weeks.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Boris being given too much oxygen is how we ended up with him as PM in the first place

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I think anyone who feels this is a PR stunt are too deep in the "Tories as PR masterminds" hole. At best, his condition is bad but not as bad as the average admittied patient but he's being put on oxygen by an abundance of caution for the prime minister. Doubt he'll be ventilated but think he'll just be on supplementary oxygen for a few weeks.

Probably the most likely scenario, yes.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

I don't see why he couldn't get oxygen in place at no 10

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Chinese Gordon posted:

I don't see why he couldn't get oxygen in place at no 10

Wait was he intubated or just given an oxygen nostril line

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Him doing this as a PR stunt doesn't actually involve him going to hospital. He just gets his press team to write a letter saying

"Boris is sick and has gone to hospital now.

Sincerely,
Boris' mum"

There's no active scrutiny of this. Nobody's checking the hospital admissions book to see if he checked in.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Wait was he intubated or just given an oxygen nostril line

Just supplementary oxygen apparently, which I'd have thought he could get at no 10. I really don't think they'd have chucked him in the hospital unless it was absolutely essential

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

winegums posted:

Him doing this as a PR stunt doesn't actually involve him going to hospital. He just gets his press team to write a letter saying

"Boris is sick and has gone to hospital now.

Sincerely,
Boris' mum"

There's no active scrutiny of this. Nobody's checking the hospital admissions book to see if he checked in.

Don't see the point of doing this tbh. Going to the hospital makes him look weak/might cause panic and if he's actually just eating pies in his pants there's a good chance it'd end up getting leaked anyway.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey did anybody mention the BBC ran a fake Grand National with computer generated horses and took the whole thing deadly seriously with classical music and everything

all past jockeys and experts weighing in on which of the famous racehorses from history was definitely gonna win the prerendered race. none of the riders started doing dances on the back of the horse or anything! surreal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I still like that they said he's gone in for "routine tests"

Just checking on his cholesterol, nothing to do with the virus, nothing at all sir

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Boris being given too much oxygen is how we ended up with him as PM in the first place

:golfclap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Hey did anybody mention the BBC ran a fake Grand National with computer generated horses and took the whole thing deadly seriously with classical music and everything

all past jockeys and experts weighing in on which of the famous racehorses from history was definitely gonna win the prerendered race. none of the riders started doing dances on the back of the horse or anything! surreal

Time Commanders reboot looking pretty sad.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's a shame corbyn's no longer in place as he could've seen off another tory PM... By death.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just checking on his cholesterol, nothing to do with the virus, nothing at all sir

I said it in the coronavirus thread but it's kind of a UK thing to say you're going into hospital "for tests" in the sense that once you're there they will attempt to figure out what is wrong with you.

As opposed to all the times you go to hospital and they just leave you in a cupboard somewhere for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

9.30pm on Sunday is a totally normal time to have a routine check.

My money's on "he took a turn for the worse, doesn't need a tube in him right now but they want him in the hospital so they can do it at a moment's notice if they need to"