Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Serephina posted:

Ohhhh, gently caress those lunchboxes. The really great news? You can't recycle the fuckers. Once your base is up just throw them in the trash. Where they belong.

Man, doing a no-base no-vehicle run of Subnautica sounds like it'd be a rad as hell challenge. The first few moments of the game where the best (aside from thirst and storage), maintaining that level of vulnerability would be cool and help keep the tension up.

It's not really possible to not run out of oxygen in the depths involved without any vehicles or bases at all, i'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
When I played the game for the first time, I made it about eight hours without realising those small cubical crates also hold blueprints. I built my first seaglide at the same time as my first seamoth. Before that, I was swimming up to 600m along the surface, unaided. It SUCKED.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Wolpertinger posted:

It's not really possible to not run out of oxygen in the depths involved without any vehicles or bases at all, i'd think.

I think those floating oxygen pumps + some veeeery long pipes might make it possible? Also maybe you could plant brain coral beds for bubbles

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Re: base chat - I like the edge of the mushroom and kelp forests! For late-game, obviously the Deep Tree Cove, although it's fun to build something in the lava zones once the game is over.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

This is what I consider to be aberrant play, no (or few) normal users will intentionally delay fixing the radio until after disabling the platform. It's worthwhile to spend resources to secure things so that a user in an aberrant situation won't break the game, it's even worth it (frequently) to put cool polish on that security. What it's not worth it to do, usually, and especially for a team/project of this size, is to put a lot of resources into securing that stuff.

I'm usually not a fan of Schrodinger design solutions, but in this case I give it a pass.

In W3, the major dilemma in Velen, how to deal with the crones and the tree spirit, can be completely derailed by doing things out of order, and a decent number of non-aberrant players will; so it's totally secured in such a way that if players do that, they get a slightly different outcome. But even in a game like W3, those outcomes are just a remix of states and scenes that already exist in the game.

I'm actually surprised they even thought to put in a radio message for people who speedrun/don't repair. I'm sure the number of players who do these sorts of things are in the single-digit percentages, but it's still neat that they thought of making the game coherent for that ~aberrant~ play. It'd have been much easier to have something absurd happen like the Sunbeam getting exploded after the gun is disabled and have silly videos posted on youtube.

I love that kind of game design because it lets the player make choices without knowing they are happening. I get a lot of FOMO playing games and a prompt comes up with a choice: much better to let the player react without knowing they are. I think my favorite early example of this is whether or not to save Paul Denton in Deus Ex. My punk-rear end flew out of the window so fast it wasn't until years later, beating the mediocre sequel, that I even realized you could stay and save JC's brother in Hell's Kitchen!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The key speedrun strat is to remember that you can build additional water tanks and swap them out.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Have any Subnautica modders figured out if it's possible to make resources stack? One of my pet peeves about the game is the incessant lack of inventory space and the need for so many storages if one wants a decent sized stockpile of stuff. Yes, I want to carry a mountain of stuff in my suit like I can in Terraria or Minecraft.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I know there's a mod that lets the fabricator suck any resources out of storage containers nearby, which sounds like it'd take a lot of the tedium out of crafting.

Not sure about infinite stacks though, sounds like it'd totally break the scavenging aspect of the game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

gandlethorpe posted:

Bought this game during early access but never got around to playing until yesterday. I played 6 hours straight until I had to stop because of motion sickness (around the time I got the Seamoth), lol. I've been missing out.

I'm finally at the point where I'm looking to build a base. I don't want to spoil too much or rely too much on guides, but can anyone give vague tips on choosing where to build? I found out the place I started building is called Sparse Reef, and that's probably not a great choice going by the name, even if there's a lot of space. Not too late to relocate.

The edge of the kelp forest right where it starts going sharply down is a great place for a base. Kelp Forest has a lot of useful materials and once you go a bit deep past 200m you can find lithium I think.

OxySnake posted:

I usually build a Red Grass base, fun area that's very peaceful.

I also usually build one at the Tree Cove in the lost river.

Its safe, very peaceful and can be used as supply storage if you go mining around or stock up for the lava zone.

Yea Tree Cove is the canonical base location. Huge space, geothermal, cool scenery and all but one of the materials you need for all the end game stuff, plus it's right on the edge of crush depth for the seamoth so you can build a moon pool for it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Problem with that plan: If you built the base there using the cyclops, the seamoth is still on the surface. And visa-versa. Only way to fix that is to make a run or two with the seamoth IN the cylcops, and possibly have more than one seamoth if you plan on using them to shuttle to the surface.

After a while I just admitted that I just live in the Cyclops now, and the fun seamoth days where behind me.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I keep a seamoth on my Cove Tree base so I can shuttle between it and my safe shallows base as needed. My Cyclops doesn't leave the depths anymore, too slow.

I got my moth down here by piloting it and my cyclops in tandem. I'd use the moth for a bit to explore and figure out where to go next, then I'd leave it in place as a beacon, seaglide back to the cyclops, move the cyclops to the position of the moth, repeat.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
i got really good at piloting my cyclops from cove to surface and vice-versa. i think my record was <2minutes. cyclops can really move if you put it in overdrive.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Do stone nodes respawn, or do you have to find a new place to gather every time?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
They shouldn't be respawning under normal circumstances. There is more than enough for your needs, just not in the Safe Shallows.

Fauna of shark-size and larger won't respawn either, just in case you feel like gutting those loving manatees near the lifepod. Just sayin'.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Serephina posted:

They shouldn't be respawning under normal circumstances. There is more than enough for your needs, just not in the Safe Shallows.

Whoa whoa whoa, you're telling me I have to go to the scary places?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wait, the Reapers and that don't respawn?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nope! If you kill a leviathan, it stays dead. Not the 3 Ghost ones that keep you from walking off the map tho.

I think there's 8 reapers? One ghost juvenile, one normal ghost? It's possible to depopulate them all. I know I did to the juvenile in the dead river, cuz he was being a huge dick constantly.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Serephina posted:

Nope! If you kill a leviathan, it stays dead. Not the 3 Ghost ones that keep you from walking off the map tho.

I think there's 8 reapers? One ghost juvenile, one normal ghost? It's possible to depopulate them all. I know I did to the juvenile in the dead river, cuz he was being a huge dick constantly.

There is a total of 31 leviathans on the map, not including the 3 ghosties in the void

It's possible to kill them but honestly I never bothered with that, I never found them to be much of an issue while navigating with my cyclops, just turn off the engine as soon as they aggro on you and they leave you alone

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'd definitely kill the one in the bone pool, though. That's p much the only time they actually harass me.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It occurs to me that one thing I've never done in all my playthroughs is installing one of those laser cannon mods and just laying waste to every reaper I can find. Might be a fun project this week.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The Ghost Leviathans in the Grand Reef definitely respawn after a while. I had to kill one of them after finding out I built my base too close to its patrol route and it was back after an in-game day or two.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I never had much of an issue with the juvenile in the Lost River. Yeah it can bang you up a little but you can usually avoid it noticing you if you run silent and keep your distance, and if you get noticed in either the Cyclops or the Seamoth it won't do much damage to you. Run for it and it'll leave you alone soon after, and you can get out and effect any necessary repairs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figured out safe routes in and out of the Lost River pretty easily, key thing is simply to avoid the juvenile's territory, even if it means taking some tight gaps.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Recently started playing this and feeling a lot of love and a lot of jank. The draw distance is kind of argh. And the first time I played (I restarted because I wanted to retry the start a bit more smoothly.) I was in visual range of a point of interest floating upside down. Have never found it again. UI is just a little too fiddly (can't equip an item without putting it on the 5 button hotbar, frex).

Any mod suggestions that take a little bit of pain out?

For Sensor rooms, am I best just parking a camera near the loot I want to find? (Except near Stalkers, obv)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tylana posted:

Recently started playing this and feeling a lot of love and a lot of jank. The draw distance is kind of argh. And the first time I played (I restarted because I wanted to retry the start a bit more smoothly.) I was in visual range of a point of interest floating upside down. Have never found it again. UI is just a little too fiddly (can't equip an item without putting it on the 5 button hotbar, frex).

Any mod suggestions that take a little bit of pain out?

For Sensor rooms, am I best just parking a camera near the loot I want to find? (Except near Stalkers, obv)

I'd definitely recommend Blueprint Tracker and EasyCraft. As for sensor rooms, the cameras can be handy for that but there's also the HUD chip.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
There are three juveniles in the Lost River, one for each of the ways into the Lost River (leading toward the Cove or the wrecked precursor facility). One of them hangs out a ways in from the Mountains entrance, above the hole leading down into the deeper warmer area. One of them is in the Ghost Tree Forest, via the Northern Blood Kelp Zone. The last hangs out over the Jumbo Leviathan's fossils, right over the skull, usually, which is where the entrance to the Lost River from the Deep Grand Reef and Blood Kelp Trench meet (this area is also where the other entrance from further down the Blood Kelp Trench winds up, at the other end of Mr. Jumbo).

Yes, they're all avoidable, but they're all also rather conspicuously right in The Way for someone dipping a toe in the Lost River and looking to move deeper toward the center (the Cove Tree) or deeper deeper (right down to the warmer place, via the Mountain entrance area).

They're also kind of jerks! Bloody kids.

(In my experience they do not, in fact, ever respawn, no matter how long you go after sending them on to the great currents, nor do either of the three adults that hang out in the Grand Reef or Blood Kelp Zone, nor any of the Reapers scattered throughout the map.)

(I've never actually killed a Sea Dragon, now that I think about it, they're just not worth the trouble, I guess, this said by somebody who has literally prawn-fisticuffed at least a hundred of the other assorted giant jerks through multiple playthroughs)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Looks like I need to hunt magnetite and diamonds. Not a huge surprise. Is there anything that cares about me taking too long to do?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The only thing you can ever miss out on by taking too long is watching the Sunbeam, and you get ample warning for that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

guppy posted:

I never had much of an issue with the juvenile in the Lost River. Yeah it can bang you up a little but you can usually avoid it noticing you if you run silent and keep your distance, and if you get noticed in either the Cyclops or the Seamoth it won't do much damage to you. Run for it and it'll leave you alone soon after, and you can get out and effect any necessary repairs.

I had to kill it because I built a base inside the giant skeleton's mouth and it kept aggroing and ramming into the side of the skull while screaming every 30 seconds or so

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tylana posted:

Yes, pretend the cameras are mobile beacons you can fly around the ocean. Then you can explore from the safety of your scanner rooms.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks for the helpful answers, guys. :D Life is going easier now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
You monsters, killing those beautiful, solitary animals... :smith:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

WarpedNaba posted:

Wait, the Reapers and that don't respawn?
The ones that appear in the off-map void are the only ones that are unkillable because they're specifically spawned in to keep you in bounds. Every time you kill one, another will spawn in (and they're tough customers too.)

Tenzarin posted:

Yes, pretend the cameras are mobile beacons you can fly around the ocean. Then you can explore from the safety of your scanner rooms.
Unless you're near stalkers. The only time I have ever killed something out of malice in the game was a stalker who would not leave my camera drones alone. Piles of metal scrap laying around, getting shoved in it's face. No it just had to yoink the camera drone and pull it several hundred yards away! Eff everything else, gotta steal that camera drone and drop it in the middle of nowhere in the ocean! Hit in the face with fish? WHO CARES I GOTTA NOM THAT CAMERA DRONE!
I put the camera drone deep in a lava geyser. Pick that up now you camera stealing prick. (It did. It died.)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Tylana posted:

Looks like I need to hunt magnetite and diamonds. Not a huge surprise. Is there anything that cares about me taking too long to do?

The only time you're rushed to do anything in the game is if you've seen a timer pop up on screen. That happens once, and you won't miss it somehow.

Don't stress (more than you already are).

Lots of Magnetite around the Jellyshrooms, and lots of diamonds fairly close to the surface (comparatively) down in the Sparse Reef, the spot at the bottom of the towering pillars lining a steep slope down from the red grass area to the south-west of the safe shallows. If you head into the cave system once you get down there, near the big wreck (not the REALLY big tall wreck that's further out), you'll find a ton of shale, which has diamonds inside it. Lots of rubies and lithium, too, it's a very handy spot for the fairly early gathering of more advanced materials.

It is 2 to 300 meters deep, though, so bring lots of oxygen tanks or the seamoth (but park it above the crush depth).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You monsters, killing those beautiful, solitary animals... :smith:

Hey, I don't bother them, they don't bother me! But when they bother me, I'll bother them. I'm just one more organism on the planet, looking to survive, no different than them. There's no difference between me and them, save they have huge bodies and mouths and so forth to do their fighting, while I use tools to do mine. And when they do wind up dead, they'll feed thousands of smaller animals for weeks or months, just like dead whales do on the bottom of the Oceans on Earth.

That's just the circle of life, baby.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Newbie trip report : After a few restarts, mostly due to a perverse desire to have a better start, but also to not random explore somewhere with no idea where I am so much, I am now at the point of having hunted down nickel, become increasing worried about my character's own health, have listened to A LOT of voice logs, gotten a little cross at trying to get a exo-suit into a moonpool that was high off the floor. A built something big and clumsy (And then gotten annoyed trying to get the suit into THAT). My poor loyal Seamoth might be mothballed (haha) soon. It's handy but all my remaining clues are below it's fully upgraded depth.

I did end up checking a wiki in one area where I'd found several things like what I was looking for, but weren't quite it.

Can say, trying to play without EasyCraft might have killed it for me though.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
Agreed. EasyCraft reduced the frustration level by an order of magnitude and means you spend more time having fun instead of opening and closing lockers!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

So I need the prawn to mine kyanite but I need kyanite to make the depth module to get there :smithicide:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tagichatn posted:

So I need the prawn to mine kyanite but I need kyanite to make the depth module to get there :smithicide:

No, that's incorrect. I mean... obviously? Stop reading spoilers and just keep playing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You should be able to reach some Kyanite with the Mk1 Prawn depth module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

You only need the MK.1 depth module to mine kyanite, not the MK.2. :ssh: