Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I don’t think there’s another roadblock quite like Hornet, just because the game opens up so much after you fight her. It’s common to hear people getting stuck against Soul Master, Mantis Lords, Watcher Knights, Crazy Laser Dude 2 and some other bosses, but in these cases the player can just go explore somewhere else until they get stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

nrook posted:

I don’t think there’s another roadblock quite like Hornet, just because the game opens up so much after you fight her. It’s common to hear people getting stuck against Soul Master, Mantis Lords, Watcher Knights, Crazy Laser Dude 2 and some other bosses, but in these cases the player can just go explore somewhere else until they get stronger.

This was going to be my post. The game opens up so much after the first couple of upgrades that very few bosses are hard stops until you get to doing the true ending and DLC. After beating Hornet 1 there's no reason to repeatedly throw yourself at a given boss, since there's always something else you could be doing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hornet wasn't a block for me, but False Knight was. Soul Master was a big one, too.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Watcher knights were the biggest roadblock for me in my first playthrough, until I saw a strat online that just said to face tank them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

my actual biggest roadblocks were Great Husk Sentries and Mossknights :sweatdrop:

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
It took me like 12 total hours of fighting mantis lords to beat them. I must have died 400 times. I was too stubborn to go away and come back later. It was... painful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That's one of the better boss fights at least. If I was gonna be stuck on someone for 12 hours I'd be glad it was them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's funny, I don't recall any boss fight in particular being a huge blocker, other than the original Mantis Lords which you're quite explicitly told to come back for later. I hear stuff like Soul Master is everyone's bane but I casually walked past him in like 1.5 tries, and I'm terrible at these games and normally need like a dozen tries per boss. I never ever managed to finish the arena of fools lvl3 fight for example, I'm that bad.

So someone being stuck on Hornet might not mean they need to cheat past all fights for the rest of their game, brains are weird and break or clutch on random things.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The boss I had the hardest time with in terms of attempts is probably the Traitor King, everything else was probably under 10 tries.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
And as I recall, the Traitor Lord gets a lot of extra difficulty from being hard to get back to.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

It was the Soul Masters fake-out move that got me every time. Took me 20-30 tries to get it done, and at least 2 or 3 sessions. I think there's a lot to be said for going away and doing something else and coming back later, rather than just abandoning the fight entirely to go somewhere else. Your brain works on problems subconsciously and when you come back to the same boss fight a few hours or a day later after a sleep, sometimes your muscle-memory has improved over the break.

Well, that's how it seems to work for me at least.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm personally stuck on the first Grimm fight since I can't for the life of me figure out dodging his bullet hell attack effectively and even if i dodge everything else perfectly that just takes too much health off me, but I just rebought the game on Steam so I'm hoping once I'm done replaying and get up to that again I'll be magically more in control of my jump height.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s really a testament to how well made this game is but there’s always a point where a boss goes from super difficult to trivial and it’s so satisfying.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RCarr posted:

It’s really a testament to how well made this game is but there’s always a point where a boss goes from super difficult to trivial and it’s so satisfying.

That exact moment when a boss just clicks is a thing of beauty.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

RCarr posted:

Absolute Radiance doesn’t have this point and it pisses me off!!!

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm personally stuck on the first Grimm fight since I can't for the life of me figure out dodging his bullet hell attack effectively and even if i dodge everything else perfectly that just takes too much health off me, but I just rebought the game on Steam so I'm hoping once I'm done replaying and get up to that again I'll be magically more in control of my jump height.

Which bullet hell part, the one where he's in the center and fireballs come out of him? You can get past that part by hugging the corner of the arena. The fireballs come in stacks either one or two high, a normal jump will clear the solo fireballs and a double jump will clear the doubles.

If you mean the part where he shoots a bunch of bats at you, you can immediately double jump into the air, wait there for a second, and dash at him to avoid it and get a few hits in. If you dash too soon he'll teleport to the opposite end of the arena and continue shooting bats though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

We’re you playing on console before? Because I also recently bought the PC version on GOG and it really does feel completely different. It actually took me a long time to start competently pogoing on spikes again because I was so used to accounting for lag in the Switch version.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jimmeeee posted:

Which bullet hell part, the one where he's in the center and fireballs come out of him? You can get past that part by hugging the corner of the arena. The fireballs come in stacks either one or two high, a normal jump will clear the solo fireballs and a double jump will clear the doubles.

I'm good with the bats one, it's the centre one yeah. It just felt like every time I jumped it was either slightly too low or high enough that it hit whatever fireball was above me? It's been a while since I tried it so I might be remembering wrong.

TheMadMilkman posted:

We’re you playing on console before? Because I also recently bought the PC version on GOG and it really does feel completely different. It actually took me a long time to start competently pogoing on spikes again because I was so used to accounting for lag in the Switch version.

Yep, I was playing on Switch before. That's interesting to know, I'm gonna go start on the PC and see how different it feels.

ETA: It does feel more precise somehow but it might also have to do with playing it on a larger screen than a handheld-mode Switch. Wow I forgot how to fight without steady body!

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 6, 2020

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

The thing I like about other "the difficulty is the point" games like Bloodborne or DSouls is that when you really start banging your head on the wall with a particular fight, you at least have the option of grinding/chalice dungeons to just overlevel it; this isn't an option with Hornet.

Right now I'm dodging boss fights with all of Mantis Lords, Soul Master, Dung Defender, Crystal Head bench guy but am having fun going around getting exploration tools and upgrades.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

RCarr posted:

Not GPZ!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It happened with GPZ for me then I fought the next more difficult incarnation, repeat x9

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
GPZ is one of my favorite fights in the game :shobon:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i think GPZ's difficulty is overrated, the real killer is markoth

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Organza Quiz posted:

Spoiler for Grimm 1 By that point in the game, it's possible to use a combination of charms to get the howling wraiths spell to kill him in seconds, just park under him and blast away. Of course this is extremely cheesy and you won't learn to deal with him which probably makes Grimm 2 impossible, but if you just want his sweet sweet loot, it's possible :v:

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Martman posted:

One more thing, it's definitely possible to get 4 mask shards for a health upgrade before you encounter Hornet, but I can see why you wouldn't expect that. There are two that you've probably gotten from the shop, and I'll spoiler some other available ones:

:words:

Getting an extra health could actually make a big difference. Good luck bug bro.

Hey, thank you for this breakdown. I've tried the lot.

My vaunted abilities at platforming do not seem to be up to the task of pogoing through that inverted ubend of spike-pieces on the path to Brooding Mawlek. I'm finding the timing of the downward-slash drat hard in general. There's still a Grub in the Crossroads that I have yet to get, despite the fact that I can see that he's technically get-able with my current powers, just because I can't perform three pogo-bounces in a row.

Went to Grubdad, realised there were fewer rescued Grubs there than I'd realised, so went on a Grub-listening tour of the environs. Returned to Grubdad and received my third Mask shard! (Bought the first two from the shop.)

Stone Sanctuary dark-place? drat, I gave a good go at exploring that sans-lantern, but damned if I could put up with exploring that space-that-is-spikes without light, given the Sonic-levels of "trust us, you just have to jump" that its platforming entails. I'm not even a third of the way to the cost of a lantern, but at least this is an ifallelsefails option for a fourth shard.

Mask shard under the False Knight? Yeah I'm sitting in the hot springs after giving up on that one. "Kite a fly? How hard can that be? Oh, loving Thrust-Centipedes kill it before I can get it back to the hole, every time. gently caress." :v: Any tips on how to manage this one? That fly is pretty insistent on its Thrust-Centipede-seeking.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oof I didn't remember the flies getting killed by the centipede things. Your post inspired me to reinstall the game real quick to make sure I'm not giving terrible advice, and yeah it is possible... but you pretty much have to kite the fly up and over the centipedes by pogoing on them. It's very much doable but it's also annoying and fiddly and then afterwards you have to go through a section where you'll probably take at least two or three more hits. At that point if you're gonna do one of these methods I'd recommend the first, because that u-bend you're referring to is actually the only part that requires the spike bounce. Now, to be honest, the Brooding Mawlek is fairly hard at that point in the game. On replaying it just now I'm not sure it's worth recommending as an alternative to Hornet. It's slow in some ways, but still requires very quick responses to a couple of its moves and takes a bunch of hits.

Sorry to lead you on a wild goose chase, but I wouldn't want you to go crazy doing any of these methods when Hornet's still gonna Hornet. Maybe try getting past the spike bounce section once and see what you think of the boss there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah I'd say the Brooding Mawlek is harder than Hornet if you lack the dash.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I will never get the good ending of this game because The Radiance is too hard for me no matter what I try. Doesn’t help that you do White Palace before that.

I absolutely understand people saying so-and-so is impossible for their abilities. Still an incredible game tho

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I had to go max damage and speed. The unbreakable strength, the quick strike, and the steady body, not sure what else I used. I could whale away on him between his attacks and mostly dodge the flying poo poo. I still took a bunch of damage but could get through the worst of it. Still took me like 15-20 tries.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Radiance can be cheesed with a bunch of +spell damage, maxing out on the extra blue bubbles of health, and then doing the upwards howl attack a bunch.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That also works on basically every other boss

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

jeeves posted:

The Radiance can be cheesed with a bunch of +spell damage, maxing out on the extra blue bubbles of health, and then doing the upwards howl attack a bunch.

Yeah if you can enter the fight with a full soul meter, you can do Shaman Stone Howl four times immediately and skip the entire first phase of the fight.

Bust Rodd posted:

That also works on basically every other boss

This is very true, it's easy to get in the mindset that you need to play every fight like a dance where you never get hit, but damage racing the bosses is usually way quicker and easier.

Tenebrous Tourist fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 10, 2020

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The bosses that I remember being super annoying were: Traitor King, Nosk until I learned to cheese him, and, I think he was called, the broken vessel?

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

The bosses that I remember being super annoying were: Traitor King, Nosk until I learned to cheese him, and, I think he was called, the broken vessel?

Broken Vessel for some reason was the easiest fight so far for me, I just found it really easy to adapt to his moves for some reason.

So far for me 1st Hornet was far and away the biggest source of frustration (2nd Hornet I steamrolled, being loaded up with charms and masks). That and the platforming above the Deepnest tram, and the Greenpath one to get to the Nail Art guy, I cannot for the life of me do either of those.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I loved this game so I made a fan art of it.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1252676625222811650

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTMqcQ73FAw

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s kinda weird that after like 30 years of
games and TV and books that my favorite fantasy character in any medium turned out to be a dead bug with a rusty nail.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Playing this game with a randomizer is a lot of fun and has definitely forced me to git gud.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

This is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

someone else feels the same

https://twitter.com/sleepy_sealion/status/1253413865972396033