Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
What kind of curmudgeonly son of a bitch gets depressed over people enjoying Animal Crossing? It's, like, the cutest game.

Also Skyrim is boring, reinstall Morrowind instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Telemaze posted:

What kind of curmudgeonly son of a bitch gets depressed over people enjoying Animal Crossing? It's, like, the cutest game.

Also Skyrim is boring, reinstall Morrowind instead.

I'd replay morrowind on my switch.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

From your lips to Gods ear.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I reinstalled steam which I haven't touched since like 2015 and am playing some hotline Miami. Here's your takeout binch

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So will there be a babyboom in 9 months time. Because people got caged up together and just started copulating, or will common sense prevail, and will the birthrate drop because it’s not a great time to have a kid? Or people couldn’t hook up and accidentally get pregnant?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I guess you can do a couple practice runs before you go shopping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQdOwtmwKN8

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My friend who's stuck in africa posts about her cool encounters with nice people, but it's ok since the virus is fake news

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mrfart posted:

So will there be a babyboom in 9 months time. Because people got caged up together and just started copulating, or will common sense prevail, and will the birthrate drop because it’s not a great time to have a kid? Or people couldn’t hook up and accidentally get pregnant?

How do we call this generation, the coroners, the crooners, the coronatives ?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

How do we call this generation, the coroners, the crooners ?

Coroninals

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Bronze Fonz posted:

What I find nearly more distressing than the global pandemic bringing down the entire System® is so many goons' fascination with goddamn Animal Crossing, what seems to be an overglorified Pokemon Second Life.

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

It isn't my thing either but some people like chill games, why do you care?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ultimate Mango posted:

Why are people not picking up torches and pitchforks over this?

Why in the living gently caress are we testing animals when there aren’t enough tests for people?

It's probably more important to understand the potential for the virus' ability to spread among animals than it is to find out that a couple more people have it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Adenoid Dan posted:

Chloroquine trial in Sweden discontinued after no positive results and some severe adverse events in the treatment group.

I don't think that's a surprise at this point.

Edit: reporting not great so far, but I guess it was not actually a clinical trial? Just off label use.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ugh, I can't talk my elderly father into trying online banking, he could pay all his bills at home but he's still insisting on driving into town to go to the bank to handle all his transactions. He's at least stocking up on food so he only visits the supermarket as little as possible but they're no longer taking cash and are making everyone pay by card (they have tap-and-go so you don't even have to enter a pin number, if it's under a certain amount) so he had to figure out how to use his credit card at the till for the first time ever in his life, and now he'll be making an extra visit to the bank to pay off his card.

He says he doesn't like having any of his banking details in the computer WHAT DO YOU THINK THE TELLER AT THE BANK IS DOING, OR THE EFTPOS AT THE SUPERMARKET??

He lives way off in a country town and there's barely been any COVID19 cases detected in the area buy hopefully he'll come around when the numbers start increasing.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Musharraf posted:

No, deaths only matter if the mass media tell you they do. I didn't see goons panicking about the thousands upon thousands of daily deaths (from preventable causes) before this.

ive posted it time and time again but this is literally the stupidest argument around

people die every day
this is a fact

do you want more people to die every day?

if not, then prevent ADDITIONAL coronavirus deaths

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

It's a bit buggy at the moment, but Open Morrowind has been ported to the Switch. Requires a hacked console.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ugh, I can't talk my elderly father into trying online banking, he could pay all his bills at home but he's still insisting on driving into town to go to the bank to handle all his transactions. He's at least stocking up on food so he only visits the supermarket as little as possible but they're no longer taking cash and are making everyone pay by card (they have tap-and-go so you don't even have to enter a pin number, if it's under a certain amount) so he had to figure out how to use his credit card at the till for the first time ever in his life, and now he'll be making an extra visit to the bank to pay off his card.

He says he doesn't like having any of his banking details in the computer WHAT DO YOU THINK THE TELLER AT THE BANK IS DOING, OR THE EFTPOS AT THE SUPERMARKET??

He lives way off in a country town and there's barely been any COVID19 cases detected in the area buy hopefully he'll come around when the numbers start increasing.

My dad is like this too, he's on the vulnerable list which means staying inside for 12 weeks, we had a nice long chat about how well they're looking after him and getting him supplies.... then he noted how weird it is when he goes out to get the paper on the morning. Jesus ript.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

Corona Comix from Finland.

Stay safe Fingerpori guy. :ohdear:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The hosed up thing is that that regulator dies nothing to protect others, it prevents air coming in but not going out.

Obviously a joke though, as evidenced by the snorkel tube

Platystemon posted:

Sanitation isn’t the major concern.

It’s species.

No amount of hygiene can ameliorate the risk that certain animals have to incubate diseases that can jump to us.

A bat that is sold dead and irradiated or cooked isn’t going to infect anyone at the market or at home, but where did that bat come from?

Breeding or hunting bats repeatedly brings people into close contact with live ones, and that is an unacceptable risk.

The risk we currently take on with the factory farming of swine and poultry is also unacceptable, but politically that’s a much tougher nut to crack, and it isn’t like stopping the trade of bats, pangolins, and primates worldwide is itself easy.

"Certain" animals here basically being "all animals". Swine flu comes from swine. Mad cow disease comes from cows (and got to cows from sheep). The animals that we domesticate have been a significant source of disease since the beginning of human history

The key is that we can ameliorate those risks with more sanitary conditions. Disease doesn't spread from one animal to another by magic, it's a numbers game; eventually a fortuitous mutation in one animal's disease allows it to spread to another, and if that other type of animal comes in contact then the spread occurs. Limiting contact between animals, either of the same species or different, limits the spread of all diseases, and therefore limits the likelihood of a human receiving those diseases. If animals aren't allowed to literally sit in the excrement of other animals, then it's harder for diseases to jump between them. Such measures fall under the large umbrella of sanitation.

And of course, it's a lot harder to catch swine flu from a pig if you limit the number of times that humans come into physical contact with pigs, and having them clean themselves thoroughly when they do. This too is sanitation, and it is effective.

You can't actually eliminate this kind of risk. Even if you have everyone go vegetarian, plants are vectors for disease too; Hawaii recently dealt with a surprise outbreak of Rat Lung Worm, wherein an infected rat poops out parasitic larvae, slugs and snails carry the larvae onto fruits/vegetables, human accidentally ingests the larvae, larvae travel to the human's brain and causes meningitis and various neurological symptoms, sometimes death. But sanitation can significantly reduce all of these risks, the only question is how much sanitation is required and whether an additional level of effort is worth the reduction in risk.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Generation Ω

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Doomers? 1 hour after posting this a friend texted me to say they’re expecting a bundle of joy.
Probably from before the lockdown, though. Still, I feel this might be a year to skip on baby dreams.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Beachcomber posted:

Generation Ω alone

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

QuarkJets posted:

"Certain" animals here basically being "all animals". Swine flu comes from swine. Mad cow disease comes from cows (and got to cows from sheep). The animals that we domesticate have been a significant source of disease since the beginning of human history

Some animals are more equal than others.

We eat tens of billions of chickens per year and for all the hand‐wringing about wet markets, broiler farms are stronger incubators. There are tens of thousands of chickens under one roof.

How many bats are eaten in the world each year? Low millions?

We’re rolling tens of thousands of dice with poultry for every one we roll with bats and the risk of pandemics is on the same order of magnitude for both. Birds threaten us with influenza outbreaks every decade, while bats have threatened us with SARS, Ebola, and 2019‐nCoV in the last two.*

Per animal, and especially per gram of protein, bats are astronomically riskier to us than garden‐variety livestock.

The cost of the current pandemic will be almost incalculable. The bat market could be worth a trillion dollars per year and it would still make sense to shut it all down on a strictly economic basis, to say nothing of the value of human lives.

The bat market is not actually worth that much, as evinced by the observation that bats don’t sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars apiece.

*MERS is also bats’ fault, but we suspect that that didn’t come through direct human contact, so I will begrudgingly remove that from their column.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 6, 2020

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

mrfart posted:

Local newspaper in Munich reports that midwifes are under a vacation ban from Christmas onward... what does that tell you?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Nitr0 posted:

Oh you don’t like bats? That’s ok gimme a min I’ll go grab a dog or something.

Those inscrutable orientals sure love eating weird things

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Some animals are more equal than others.

We eat tens of billions of chickens per year and for all the hand‐wringing about wet markets, broiler farms are stronger incubators. There are tens of thousands of chickens under one roof.

How many bats are eaten in the world each year? Low millions?

We’re rolling tens of thousands of dice with poultry for every one we roll with bats and the risk of pandemics is on the same order of magnitude for both. Birds threaten us with influenza outbreaks every decade, while bats have threatened us with SARS, Ebola, and 2019‐nCoV in the last two.

Per animal, and especially per gram of protein, bats are astronomically riskier to us than garden‐variety livestock.

The cost of the current pandemic will be almost incalculable. The bat market could be worth a trillion dollars per year and it would still make sense to shut it all down on a strictly economic basis, to say nothing of cost of human lives.

The bat market is not actually worth that much, as evinced by the observation that bats don’t sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars apiece.

Most modern disease outbreaks have come from domesticated animals, not bats. I think it makes sense to not eat bats I'm just saying that your risk profile is all janked

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Hopper posted:

Local newspaper in Munich reports that midwifes are under a vacation ban from Christmas onward... what does that tell you?

quarantine is a time for hole abuse

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

QuarkJets posted:

Most modern disease outbreaks have come from domesticated animals, not bats. I think it makes sense to not eat bats I'm just saying that your risk profile is all janked

My risk profile is fine.

I’m more likely to die from a fall in my shower than I am to die skydiving.

I should not take that as encouragement to skydive daily.

If done daily, you’d better believe it would be more likely to kill me than showering. It’s an inherently riskier activity.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This whole thing about the market is weird for me because I have family that lives near it and it wasnt considered normal.

That relative also somehow still hasnt got Corona so either they were asymptomatic as hell or their messages to me are a ruse by the virus to lure me into a false sense of security

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

shovelbum posted:

who normally cleans

uh the cleaning lady? what kind of obvious question is that?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Platystemon posted:

MERS is also bats’ fault, but we suspect that that didn’t come through direct human contact, so I will begrudgingly remove that from their column.

The intermediary host for MERS was/is camels. It's not a case of 'we suspect' but 'we confirmed,' last I checked.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

My risk profile is fine.

I’m more likely to die from a fall in my shower than I am to die skydiving.

I should not take that as encouragement to skydive daily.

If done daily, you’d better believe it would be more likely to kill me than showering. It’s an inherently riskier activity.

Your risk profile is definitely janked. You're so preoccupied with the risks of your annual skydiving experience (bats at wet markets) that you keep forgetting to wear a seat belt in the car (poor sanitation at factory farms). But there's good news: dealing with one set of risks does not preclude dealing with the other. We absolutely need to deal with both

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
A hundred little joggers are complaining about each other in the park
One started coughing and goes "Hurgh huck hark!"
Police called the doctor
And the doctor said
"No more joggers jogging in the park!"

Ninety-nine joggers are complaining about each other in the park
Police called the doctor
And the doctor said

Ninety-eight joggers are complaining about each other in the park
Police called the doctor
And the doctor said

Ninety-seven little joggers..

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Tei posted:

What you want people to do? number crunching?
Al Zimmermann has a programming contest ongoing so, yes, that’s what I’m doing. But I also let others do whatever makes them happy while quarantined, I’m not judging. I’d rather have people play animal crossing in their homes than Pokémon go in the park, honestly.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Being able to chill is gonna become more and more valuable as this goes on.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Laughing Zealot posted:

Being able to chill is gonna become more and more valuable as this goes on.

I heard is the difference between dogs and wolves. Wolves can't manage the stress as easily has dogs. And thats why dogs are cool to have around, even around kids that will abuse them. But you don't let your kids play with wolves unsupervised (or supervised). Except if you are trying to lower the number of kids in your family, then is a good way.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Al Zimmermann has a programming contest ongoing so, yes, that’s what I’m doing. But I also let others do whatever makes them happy while quarantined, I’m not judging. I’d rather have people play animal crossing in their homes than Pokémon go in the park, honestly.

The PS4 console have a game that let you do art, "DREAMS". I am tempted to do that, but the console is too loud. Also WFH.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

QuarkJets posted:

Your risk profile is definitely janked. You're so preoccupied with the risks of your annual skydiving experience (bats at wet markets) that you keep forgetting to wear a seat belt in the car (poor sanitation at factory farms). Good news: dealing with one set of risks does not preclude dealing with the other but we absolutely need to deal with both

I said, like forty posts ago:

Platystemon posted:

The risk we currently take on with the factory farming of swine and poultry is also unacceptable

I do not oppose action on this front.

I am merely suggesting that it’s higher‐hanging fruit.

If skydiving one day and driving every day have the same risk of killing me in a year, you know what? It’s a whole lot easier to take a big bite out of risk by not skydiving that it is to stop driving.

If only cleaning up our farms were as easy as putting on a seatbelt.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Tei posted:

I heard is the difference between dogs and wolves. Wolves can't manage the stress as easily has dogs. And thats why dogs are cool to have around, even around kids that will abuse them. But you don't let your kids play with wolves unsupervised (or supervised). Except if you are trying to lower the number of kids in your family, then is a good way.
Yeah but how about different dog breeds like a pitbull? :can:

Also why is Kushner doing anything in the white house in the first place besides having a family connection?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I said, like forty posts ago:

I do not oppose action on this front.

I am merely suggesting that it’s higher‐hanging fruit.

If skydiving one day and driving every day have the same risk of killing me in a year, you know what? It’s a whole lot easier to take a big bite out of risk by not skydiving that it is to stop driving.

If only cleaning up our farms were as easy as putting on a seatbelt.

I,

too,

ensure

all

my sentences

are

separate

paragraphs.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I wish this Meat Horror Olympics y'all are engaging in would take note from the IOC and be postponed until next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want to talk about China, please limit it to a discussion of my Chinese relatives belief that trump is going to revoke citizenship for all Americans outside the US because the deadline given is when the bombing of his global war starts in every country around the world and Trump doesnt want to take the hit in the polls for bombing Americans