Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Enough people bitched about "backdooring" that Blizzard caved and systematically neutered every hero with decent siege and even changed the base mechanics themselves so a totally push/siege playstyle was no longer viable.

Which is an amazingly stupid move considering that one of the things that set HOTS apart and attracted people to the game was that it had radically different priorities and you could do something like that even all the way up to Master's+. By comparison, that kind of poo poo stops working by Silver in LoL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I am 200% convinced Blizzard never knew what people liked in the game and made development decisions based on gut feelings, a trend which got worse after skeleton crewing the team

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Kith posted:

Enough people bitched about "backdooring" that Blizzard caved and systematically neutered every hero with decent siege and even changed the base mechanics themselves so a totally push/siege playstyle was no longer viable.

Which is an amazingly stupid move considering that one of the things that set HOTS apart and attracted people to the game was that it had radically different priorities and you could do something like that even all the way up to Master's+. By comparison, that kind of poo poo stops working by Silver in LoL.

Probably because push heroes do in fact suck to play against.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Countering push heroes is really easy: gank them like any other overextended target. If a team couldn't handle that, they got outplayed and deserved the loss. Simple as.

Instead of getting good, people cried about backdooring being unfair despite it being completely preventable and counterable and Blizzard caved because they were terrified of HOTS being "too different" even though that's realistically all it had going for it

Meanwhile, burst damage stealth characters have been a problem in QM since inception and will never not be a problem because nobody at Blizzard seems to understand that losing most of your health out of nowhere and often being unable to do anything about it isn't what most people consider entertainment.

Kith fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 5, 2020

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Kith posted:

Countering push heroes is really easy: gank them like any other overextended target. If a team couldn't handle that, they got outplayed and deserved the loss. Simple as.

Instead of getting good, people cried about backdooring being unfair despite it being completely preventable and counterable and Blizzard caved because they were terrified of HOTS being "too different" even though that's realistically all it had going for it

Meanwhile, burst damage stealth characters have been a problem in QM since inception and will never not be a problem because nobody at Blizzard seems to understand that losing most of your health out of nowhere and often being unable to do anything about it isn't what most people consider entertainment.

Hmm yes just dedicate half your team to counter the push character, so much fun, because you're sure as poo poo not solo ganking a good push character.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kith posted:

Have to disagree with you there. DotA splitpushing was stronger than HotS ever was.

It also has better anti-stealth and anti-push solutions. Go figure. :shrug:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The lost vikings rework entails choosing one of the three vikings before the match starts, and then you run around outside the map trying to find the other two; if you do your team wins.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shadowlyger posted:

Hmm yes just dedicate half your team to counter the push character, so much fun, because you're sure as poo poo not solo ganking a good push character.

Two players isn't half your team. And even then, there are multiple characters that are extremely effective at ganking solo. Most of them have been in the game since launch.

Cuntellectual posted:

Have to disagree with you there. DotA splitpushing was stronger than HotS ever was.

It also has better anti-stealth and anti-push solutions. Go figure. :shrug:

You and I are talking about different things. I'm not saying that splitpushing was stronger in HotS, I'm talking about how HotS has different prioritization (i.e. map objectives) that makes splitpushing more attractive as a general playstyle.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
It makes me sad that we’ll never see non-big three franchise characters like Blackthorne. Or Cyberhawk!!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Or Superman!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Can we all just agree that “backdooring” is a stupid as gently caress term, because you are literally going in the front doors? Backdooring is like Nydus or Drop shipping in.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Elysium posted:

Can we all just agree that “backdooring” is a stupid as gently caress term, because you are literally going in the front doors? Backdooring is like Nydus or Drop shipping in.

Yeah, backdooring is one of those terms that lost meaning when people picked it up en masse and started using it wrong. Backdooring is when you teleport in, or otherwise sneak past the wave/outer buildings, in order to hit the important buildings directly. It's not very viable in HotS and has never been a big problem.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That's why I used it as a quote - it's what the bad players bitched about, despite it not really being the appropriate term.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Might be getting a new character according to the hots Facebook page

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it's imperius

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

blizzard fan favorite The Raven Lord

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Murky's brother, Lurky.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, backdooring is one of those terms that lost meaning when people picked it up en masse and started using it wrong. Backdooring is when you teleport in, or otherwise sneak past the wave/outer buildings, in order to hit the important buildings directly. It's not very viable in HotS and has never been a big problem.

I still remember when using Abathur to tunnel in to the enemy base, dropping a bunch of ranged locusts, then using your hearthstone to recall to your own base was considered a broken, uncounterable strategy that would guarantee three dead enemy keeps.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

W.T. Fits posted:

I still remember when using Abathur to tunnel in to the enemy base, dropping a bunch of ranged locusts, then using your hearthstone to recall to your own base was considered a broken, uncounterable strategy that would guarantee three dead enemy keeps.

Still remember? That was the end of January. And it was broken and stupid so they patched it out within three weeks.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Be nice, time dilation is loving up everyone. It's been 2020 for at least three years.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Leoric suicide ghosting to the core ruled. So did stealth hammer core sneaks because only the absolute dumbest teams fell for it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kaal posted:

Still remember? That was the end of January. And it was broken and stupid so they patched it out within three weeks.

No, I'm referring to a few years ago, before they nerfed the range on his ranged locusts; before that, they could safely sit just outside the range of the keeps' guns and burn them down unopposed. Which meant that if the enemy team had an Abathur, you basically had to dedicate at least one team member to babysitting your keeps after level 16, or else Abby would tunnel in and wreck your poo poo uncontested.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

DDDDDDDDDARRRRRRRRRRRK

NEEEEXUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/heroes-of-the-storm/23367312/heroes-of-the-storm-ptr-patch-notes-april-6-2020

Cannon Towers, Forts, Keeps and Cores

quote:

A beam is now created from these structures to their targets, making it easier to see what is being attacked at a glance.
Allied Heroes of the structures who are being attacked by enemy Heroes will cause the structure to focus the offender until the offender is dead or leaves tower range.
A bright beam indicates that the structure is defending an ally Hero and is focusing on the beam target.
Structures reset targeting when the Call for Help target becomes invalid.
Structures reset targeting logic when they recover from being disabled.

Rip anub

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it's like they read this thread and take inspiration for what to gently caress up next lmao

E:
holy poo poo they finally implemented talent planning in the most lackluster way possible

the entire point of people asking for it was so they didn't have to choose talents manually, and Favorite Talents doesn't loving do that

E2:

i like how one of the most iconic skills of the High Templar is Psi Storm but the Tassadar Rework puts almost no emphasis on it as its own attack

Kith fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 6, 2020

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I feel like when a hero is on their fifth rework in like six years, you’ve fundamentally hosed up somewhere in development.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
These tower changes are weird. League of Legends style tower targeting changes the game really dramatically and I don't think it will go well.

Pants Donkey posted:

I feel like when a hero is on their fifth rework in like six years, you’ve fundamentally hosed up somewhere in development.
They're deleting the broken ability (the lifesteal shield) at least. I appreciate that they kept Tassadar mostly terrible for the last three years.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 6, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Looks like exp globes are permanent.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

They fundamentally hosed up when they made one of the most dangerous attack casters in RTS histories a support.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pants Donkey posted:

tbh the game itself is on its fifth rework in six years

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Not gonna lie, that cooldown on Force Wall makes me EXTREMELY sad. Even talented at 20 it's 11 second cooldown for 2.5s uptime, which is way worse than previously.

(And Wall Tassadar was the most fun thing to do with him, don't @ me.)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The league tower mechanics dont make sense without the context of tower plating. For the first 15 minutes or so of the game the first row of towers in league have enormous healthpools divided into six parts. This is called "tower plating". You get 160 gold when you destroy each row of tower plating.

Point being, the towers are set up to discourage diving because league is trying to promote an extended laning phase where the attacker is rewarded for doing incremental damage to the tower but also cant completely dominate the other player out of the lane. The idea is to make staying in lane for 15 minutes bearable for both the winner and the loser of the solo lane.

In HotS, that has never been a problem because the laning phase is so short. You can also only get marginally outscaled, unlike in league where a lane can go bad and your opponent's items are so much better that you are basically defenseless. I dont understand what the point is.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 7, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the Tassadar rework pleases no-one and i'm laffin

DrLogan is a buddy of mine and he's such a huge loving Tassadar stan that the developers took notice because he alone was skewing their data and sought his feedback

they followed none of it and he's quietly quitting the game over how much he dislikes the rework

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Keeping the beam on tassadar is a bizarre choice. Everyone hates the beam. I'd thought the only reason the beam existed was because dimensional shift and shield were broken so they had to give him a really stupid auto attack. But d shift and shield are gone, so.....?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
What.

No seriously what?

The beam is the best part of Tassadar, especially when you get to 20th level and get the option to chain it from target to target. Obviously it would be better if the chaining came earlier, or if they buffed the beam some. But I couldn't image playing Tassadar ever again if they got rid of the beam.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

What.

No seriously what?

The beam is the best part of Tassadar, especially when you get to 20th level and get the option to chain it from target to target. Obviously it would be better if the chaining came earlier, or if they buffed the beam some. But I couldn't image playing Tassadar ever again if they got rid of the beam.

Good news!

quote:

Khaydarin Amulet [Trait]

Quest: Resonance Beam charges 50% faster.
Reward: After remaining at full charge for 80 seconds, Resonance Beam bounces to hit 1 additional target for 50% damage.
Reward: After remaining at full charge for 160 seconds, Resonance Beam bounces to hit 2 additional targets for 50% damage.

This is a level 1 talent.

Also, the beam itself:

quote:

Resonance Beam

Tassadar’s Basic Attack is a long range channeled beam that deals 14 damage every .25 seconds and Slows its target for 10%. While channeling, your Basic Attack damage and Mana Regeneration increase by 25% a second, to a maximum of 100% bonus. While fully charged, gain an additional 3 mana per second. This bonus is lost after 6 seconds of not channeling.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What kind of name is Kugelblitz?

Is Tassadar supposed to be Jewish? :iiam:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 7, 2020

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

What kind of name is Kugelblitz?

Is Tassadar supposed to be Jewish? :iiam:

It's a theoretical type of black hole.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i did some math-numbers and AA Build Tass doesn't even deal noteworthy damage why the gently caress is it here lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kith posted:

the Tassadar rework pleases no-one and i'm laffin

DrLogan is a buddy of mine and he's such a huge loving Tassadar stan that the developers took notice because he alone was skewing their data and sought his feedback

they followed none of it and he's quietly quitting the game over how much he dislikes the rework

I have the feeling that the upcoming LoL update is going to do this on a mass scale. Usually I tend to reserve judgment until after a patch hits, but everything about it seems bad. If I wanted to play League, I have it installed and I can already do that. The constant push for players to only team fight is upending hero balance, massively simplifying the game, and ensuring that matches just come down to team coordination during objective fights. The Tassadar rework removes anything interesting about the hero. The slight Xul nerf indicates a fundamental misunderstanding about the game balance, and promises the same kind of useless dragged out "adjustments" that DW has gotten while dominating matches for months. The buffed cores seem neat thematically but the last thing this game needs is to drag out the endings. The entire Nexus theme has always looked like junk to me, and these skins are no different in that respect. The silent adoption of the XP orbs anomaly only confirmed what everyone knew - that these "anomalies" are as permanent as they are unpopular. I don't want to be relentlessly negative about the game, but I simply don't understand where the devs are coming from at all - whatever game they're building seems to have little to do with what actually attracted me to it.

Even the out-of-game updates are frustrating for me. The US Region changes seem to only promise worse ping in a game that has been suffering from connection issues ever since the pandemic hit the US. The favorite talent trees seem moderately useful, but also will guarantee that teammates will stop adjusting their talent choices based on the actual game they are playing in. The AI update basically represents a white flag being displayed on the part of the devs - if the bots are so bad that they're better off standing in base, then just give the other players stat bumps or end the match. The Storm League changes are QoL improvements for the affected players, but I assume that the match-maker will be completely unable to balance them.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 7, 2020