Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
If Captain Charles B. McVay III were around, I'm sure he'd also have faith in the Navy and its treatment of Captain Crozier.

Except he killed himself in 1968 because the Navy scapegoated him for the loss of the USS Indianapolis, making him the only captain in the US Navy to be court-martialed for losing his ship due to enemy action, and he kept getting letters from the families of his crew that said things like "Merry Christmas! Our family's holiday would be a lot merrier if you hadn't killed my son." I mean, sure, during his court martial the Navy said he hazarded his ship by not zigzagging, and maybe all the top US submarine commanders testified at the court martial saying "zigzagging is useless and wouldn't have made a difference." It's possible that maybe a couple of the lives lost while the crew were adrift at sea could have been prevented if the Navy knew they needed rescuing, but how was the Navy supposed to find out? The SOS signal the Indianapolis transmitted was only received by three locations! Anyway, the court martial found McVay guilty of hazarding his ship by failing to zigzag.

Ask the family of Gunner's Mate Second Class Clayton Hartwig about the apology the Navy never gave them when they said "hmm, maybe our first investigation was wrong when we said Hartwig was a queer who deliberately blew up the Number Two turret on the USS Iowa because he was having problems with his absolutely homosexual relationship, but there's no way whatsoever that there was anything wrong with the powder we were using. Nevermind the fact that the officer in charge of the investigation is responsible for the powder used in all battleship guns and nevermind that crap coming out of Sandia National Labs saying that there was a problem with the powder. It's a big mystery. Anyway, Hartwig probably wasn't one of them gays. Maybe."

Yup, good ol' trustworthy Navy.

McNally fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There is only one possible solution and that of course is Eddie Gallagher vs. Brett Crozier in a no holds barred MMA competition on an abandoned Russian submarine in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Winner determines the future of America, loser gets thrown into the reactor.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pryor on Fire posted:

There is only one possible solution and that of course is Eddie Gallagher vs. Brett Crozier in a no holds barred MMA competition on an abandoned Russian submarine in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Winner determines the future of America, loser gets thrown into the reactor.

:hmmyes:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i am very excited to continue going through basic phase / underways while my dipshit "brothers" continue going to house parties or whatever amid a pandemic

our sister ship is duty section only and not doing underways, but not my ship, and they're supposed to be ahead of us in schedule hmmmmmmmmmmm

i did get to see the comfort leave while i was standing topside rover, that was neat. silver linings.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

McNally posted:

If Captain Charles B. McVay III were around, I'm sure he'd also have faith in the Navy and its treatment of Captain Crozier.

Don't forget Boorda. I sure as gently caress haven't.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't forget Boorda. I sure as gently caress haven't.

I don't think the Navy hosed him, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

McNally posted:

I don't think the Navy hosed him, though.

I don't remember SECNAV or SECDEF stepping up to defend him.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't remember SECNAV or SECDEF stepping up to defend him.

There was nothing to defend. Newsweek hadn't yet run the article when Boorda committed suicide.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

McNally posted:

There was nothing to defend. Newsweek hadn't yet run the article when Boorda committed suicide.

A cynic would say he shot himself because he knew he wouldn't get any support.

My dad worked for Boorda and was really torn up when this all happened.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It is almost as if an institution based upon promoting nobility to leadership positions with little consideration to their ability has caused long term structural problems within the institution. :thunk:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

vulturesrow posted:

While I admire CAPT Crozier's regard for his crew and other embarked Sailors, if it the situation sent down the way the SECNAV said then his firing was justified.

All I've seen is that it was sent via email, unencrypted (not to be confused with anything classification-related) and had too many/the wrong naval officers CCed. Modly seemed to suggest that sending the email directly to him would've been fine, somehow.

Edit:
There's some precedent for Crozier being elected president, though.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 5, 2020

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Godholio posted:

All I've seen is that it was sent via email, unencrypted (not to be confused with anything classification-related) and had too many/the wrong naval officers CCed. Modly seemed to suggest that sending the email directly to him would've been fine, somehow.

Edit:
There's some precedent for Crozier being elected president, though.

I have to double-check another article, but I recall also reading Modly saying something like "he'd given the CO his phone number and would have been fine with a call" or something like that. Strikes me as odd since calling the SECNAV on his personal number also seems like something that could be construed as "going outside the chain".

But yeah I have about as much faith in SECNAV/SECDEF/DOD doing the right thing/being honest as I have faith China announcing their actual COVID case/death numbers.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 5, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1246814814338527234?s=19

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Looks like the captain is also himself infected with Covid. Poor dude can't catch a break.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

at least he wont have too hard of a time gathering a new crew to his next endeavor

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2020/april/unleash-privateers

i think this is an aprils fool joke but i cant tell anymore

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Why do I have a feeling that in this Hellworld, this administration is going to try and spin it as him trying to save his own rear end and not those of his crew?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 5, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LingcodKilla posted:

at least he wont have too hard of a time gathering a new crew to his next endeavor

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2020/april/unleash-privateers

i think this is an aprils fool joke but i cant tell anymore

I doubt it's a joke. Importantly, Letters of Marque apply only in wartime. On the other hand, most nations disavowed privateering by the end of the 19th century However, the US was not a signatory to that agreement.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

joat mon posted:

I doubt it's a joke. Importantly, Letters of Marque apply only in wartime. On the other hand, most nations disavowed privateering by the end of the 19th century However, the US was not a signatory to that agreement.

I'm no law talkin' guy but the companion piece to that article (on the next page in the print version) seems pretty thorough

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2020/april/us-privateering-legal

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This totally doesn't have a millenia-long history of starting existential wars between great powers or anything

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

This totally doesn't have a millenia-long history of starting existential wars between great powers or anything

Gotta jumpstart the economy somehow.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Jesus Christ that wasn’t an April fools joke??!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just lol if you trust China to not just treat you as pirates.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Privateers and armed merchants were obsoleted by centralized fire control and have only fallen farther behind since then

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

Privateers and armed merchants were obsoleted by centralized fire control and have only fallen farther behind since then

It would have to be different. Pirates have shown piracy is still viable, use a mothership in international waters and small craft. Shoot for tankers or vlocs and drop them somewhere or offload oil to another ship. Or just sink them, privateers are about denying trade.

It might be viable but would require a lot of thought and I'm not sure if it's the best way. We went through this with Blackwater and other private security, the less outsourcing of conflict the better.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

It would have to be different. Pirates have shown piracy is still viable, use a mothership in international waters and small craft. Shoot for tankers or vlocs and drop them somewhere or offload oil to another ship. Or just sink them, privateers are about denying trade.

It might be viable but would require a lot of thought and I'm not sure if it's the best way. We went through this with Blackwater and other private security, the less outsourcing of conflict the better.

It seems like a pretty horrible idea. Piracy is only viable when there is no political will to go after motherships and shore bases aggressively anyway, like it's an occurrence of circumstances that definitely don't apply in a broad superpower proxy war. Everyone knows the US has no industrial base now anyway, we can't even make rubber gloves and poo poo lmao superpower is a strong word

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

So I work in direct care of covid patients down in our isolation and cohort ward and like, almost definitely have the virus at this point, and the head NP here is almost definitely going to try to make me go to her all hands call in a less than 50x50 room with like 45 people, who will then go take care of oncology patients.

A global force for good!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

shovelbum posted:

It seems like a pretty horrible idea. Piracy is only viable when there is no political will to go after motherships and shore bases aggressively anyway, like it's an occurrence of circumstances that definitely don't apply in a broad superpower proxy war. Everyone knows the US has no industrial base now anyway, we can't even make rubber gloves and poo poo lmao superpower is a strong word

Oh we can. We just chose not to because ignoring problems to keep Number Up is how capitalism rolls.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Got a text last night from my Senior Chief saying we're all required to wear face masks starting today.

The text included a link to the youtube video of the Surgeon General making a face mask out of a t-shirt and rubber bands.

At least it's east to disassemble?

This was not just a setup for that joke, I'm being 100% serious.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Reported text of acting SECNAV's address to TR over 1MC

this one gets a "holy loving yikes" from me

(I don't think anyone would lie when making this transcript, but it would have to have been made real time by someone in the ship's company)

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Gate guard made me pull down my mask WTF SHIPMATE

Stay healthy, Seagoons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Red Crown posted:

(I don't think anyone would lie when making this transcript, but it would have to have been made real time by someone in the ship's company)

That’s some trumpian bullshit right there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Gate guard made me pull down my mask WTF SHIPMATE

Stay healthy, Seagoons.

Walk around everywhere in a flash hood.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Walk around everywhere in a flash hood.

Lol is this a joke? Nose to chin only, shipmate. Flash hoods, ski masks, etc NOT AUTHORIZED.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

That’s some trumpian bullshit right there.

"I cannot control or attempt to change whatever anger you have with me for relieving your beloved CO. If I could offer you a glimpse of the level of hatred and pure evil that has been thrown my way, my family's way over this decision, I would. But it doesn't matter. It's not about me. The former Vice President of the United States, Joe Biden, suggested just yesterday that my decision was criminal. I assure you it was not. Because I understand the facts and those facts show that what your Captain did was very, very wrong in a moment when we expected him to be the calming force on a turbulent sea."

Listen here jack, this isn't about me but let me pontificate about myself for a bit

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Red Crown posted:

Yeah the crew didn’t take it very well.

“ so the sec nav Is calling the captain stupid and naïve and then said were whiney and it was wrong of us to cheer our captain off. just wait til yall here the recording of the sec nav on our 1mc . literally just flew all the way to guam and come on the ship for 15 min and talk poo poo on us and the captain and cuss. oh I cant wait for the day he gets what he deserves! god I wished people could have been here with us to see the whole story. we have been lied to, pushed to the side. Washington dragged their feet to help us for weeks until our captain did what he did and forced it to happen for us and to take care of us. I know were just a number but this way past ridiculous! ive stayed silent but im done with it! I hope the world see how bad this guy is! “

And so on.

Smooth move dude.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah the crew didn’t take it very well.

“ so the sec nav Is calling the captain stupid and naïve and then said were whiney and it was wrong of us to cheer our captain off. just wait til yall here the recording of the sec nav on our 1mc . literally just flew all the way to guam and come on the ship for 15 min and talk poo poo on us and the captain and cuss. oh I cant wait for the day he gets what he deserves! god I wished people could have been here with us to see the whole story. we have been lied to, pushed to the side. Washington dragged their feet to help us for weeks until our captain did what he did and forced it to happen for us and to take care of us. I know were just a number but this way past ridiculous! ive stayed silent but im done with it! I hope the world see how bad this guy is! “

And so on.

Smooth move dude.

I am shocked!

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
***Big fuckin' sigh***

Can anyone recommend an info source re: Crozier and the TR? Be cause the civilian members of my extended family and in-laws absolutely insist on discussing it with me, and I only know what I've scrolled past while sighing deeply.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

All they need to see is the crew cheering him like he just won the loving Super Bowl.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Godholio posted:

All they need to see is the crew cheering him like he just won the loving Super Bowl.

I will not say who, out of sheer loving embarrassment, but it has been asserted to me by someone that shares my last name that the crew assembled to cheer him off at Captain Crozier's instruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I will not say who, out of sheer loving embarrassment, but it has been asserted to me by someone that shares my last name that the crew assembled to cheer him off at Captain Crozier's instruction.

The crew doesn't start chanting someone's name in the way they did because they were instructed to do so. He saved lives because the Navy didn't give a gently caress about them.

Go read his letter and then read the secnav's message and compare/contrast.