Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bardeh posted:

Haven't had anything for quite a few days now. I imagine it's a really lovely time to be a postman to be honest. It's hard to complete most rounds at the best of times, let alone when every fucker in the country is buying literally everything online and half the delivery office is off sick and/or self-isolating. That, plus the fact that they're not allowed to van-share at the moment means that I would imagine there is a quite frankly ridiculous backlog in every delivery office.

Is this the beginning of the chain of events that set the scene for the beginning of Going Postal?

Because if so I'm looking forward to post golems in a few decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't even know how the delivery office I used to work in will even be functioning without van-sharing. 90% of all rounds there were two people sharing a van, and still on some days if there was a problem with your van it would be a struggle to find a replacement. If they need literally double the amount of vans....well, it just doesn't work. Thank gently caress I'm not a postman anymore.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Isn't patent law all about ensuring that things people "create" become used by a few uber rich companies who buy out anything that might change things and build it into something they want to see?

Not in principal. When I did our patent application with my company it was to give us the opportunity to get our product out there without a larger much more organised company being able to sweep and do the same thing with a higher marketing budget. In practice it lets large companies buy ideas.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 6, 2020

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ronya posted:

it's still the case that the move toward lower tuition fees and cheaper/freer childcare has shifted the zeitgeist... okay, maybe Britain did not need an agonizing seismic shift in the Labour party for the politics of the squeezed middle to assert itself. Still, nobody really has any bright ideas here.

tens of millions just got laid off during the worst ever financial crisis during a global pandemic, I'm not sure the squeezed middle has come back to existence just because the Labour party didn't bother to vote in its own leadership contest

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Just built the wife’s home office setup while she made lunch. She delivered my cheese toastie with a horrified look and pointed out that we were actually performing traditional gender roles for literally the first time in our marriage.

I married well.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bobstar posted:

Is this the beginning of the chain of events that set the scene for the beginning of Going Postal?

I wish Moist von Lipwig was the Prime Minister.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Aramoro posted:

Not in principal. When I did our patent application with my company it was to give us the opportunity to get our product out there without a larger much more organised company being able to sweep and do the same thing with a higher marketing budget. In practice it lets large companies buy ideas.

Why is it that when Capitalist ideas don't work in practice it is a failure of that particular subset, but when Communist ideas don't work in practice it is because it never will?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

peanut- posted:

Are people still getting post delivered generally? I've had nothing since Wednesday and am expecting things that I know have been sent.

We've had three instances of Royal Mail saying they've attempted delivery of packages in the last week. We've been in 24/7, no one's been and no cards have been left.

Can't get through on the phone either and we have no idea where our orders actually are or how to get them.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Josef bugman posted:

Isn't patent law all about ensuring that things people "create" become used by a few uber rich companies who buy out anything that might change things and build it into something they want to see?

It's used to provide an incentive for people to create something - if it'll take me 2 years to design and create something, and then another company just copies it straight away and I lose a massive share of the market it becomes much harder for me to justify spending two years of lost wages etc designing it.

Owning a patent on the product means that I can spend the time designing, knowing that if it's successful I will be given a limited period of exclusivity to sell the product.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Neither rain nor snow nor glom of nit, but don't ask us about global viral pandemics or Mrs Cake.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Only One World Cup matters, two world wars and One World Cup
(Ed: actually why aren't the Beeb just showing 1966 on repeat?)

From a few pages ago:

Smoking ghosts:

When I bought my flat end of 2019, no one had lived in it for 2 years. The guy who had lived here died and was a heavy smoker.
It had new carpets etc (which the seller - his executors - had put in to try and make it more sellable) and the windows had been locked slightly open for months.
But there is still this smell of smoke which arises occasionally (but which wasn't apparent when I bought the flat - except for one time and I mistakenly thought that was a neighbour smoking).
I washed all the walls down and a lot of the time can't smell anything, but now and then it suddenly reeks of it. (I am very sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke and can smell someone lighting up 100m or more away). (Oh and thanks to whoever recommended the Febreze anti-tobacco spray several moons ago - I finally managed to find some when I was visiting a city, not something that I can find in any of our town shops.)
I think it's to do with the outside temperature / humidity. I keep meaning to make a note of when it happens but haven't got round to it yet.
Cigarette smoke just clings and hangs around forever.

Covid-19 chat:

Got my billet doux from Boris through the letterbox this morning. Haven't read it yet.
I've decided to refrain from commenting on his covid=19 status.

The one thing I am noticing though is there is definitely a time delay of about 12 days between first symptoms - and the belief that someone only has it mildly - and hospitalization (if needed). That was exactly the same for Michael Rosen and other people I am noticing.

I didn't take my Government Mandated Walk yesterday and I suffered for it overnight. I have various leg/back muscle problems that need exercise and my physio is closed for the duration. If we have to stay indoors, my tiny flat (26sqm) has a maximum single run of 5m so I would have to do that 1000x in a day to make the 5km daily walk! I will be very dizzy.

It's definitely a pain to use but you might consider sanding and going over with a shellac primer. It works pretty fam dantastic as a sealer

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

It's used to provide an incentive for people to create something - if it'll take me 2 years to design and create something, and then another company just copies it straight away and I lose a massive share of the market it becomes much harder for me to justify spending two years of lost wages etc designing it.

Owning a patent on the product means that I can spend the time designing, knowing that if it's successful I will be given a limited period of exclusivity to sell the product.

But I assume that the incentive will mainly have vanished because most "new" inventions aren't actually done by a single person, but by a larger organisation.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1247158845690044416

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Why is it that when Capitalist ideas don't work in practice it is a failure of that particular subset, but when Communist ideas don't work in practice it is because it never will?

As part of a capitalist ideal it's isn't not working? You invent something and someone pays you for it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aramoro posted:

As part of a capitalist ideal it's isn't not working? You invent something and someone pays you for it.

Doesn't work how it is "supposed to" then, under the way capitalism is "supposed" to work.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Hell yeah he's tuss enough

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

The problem with patents is that the barrier to entry is high for the ordinary person and the timespan is short.

The problem with copyright is the complete opposite.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Jess Philips is appointed gently caress all

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I find the theory of patent/copyright law fascinating, can anyone recommend a good book on it, perhaps one that covers the history of it and also covers the communist (practical or theoretical) approach to it?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Full Shadow Cabinet is released -

https://labour.org.uk/press/keir-starmer-appoints-shadow-cabinet/

quote:

• Keir Starmer, Leader of the Opposition
  • Angela Rayner, Deputy Leader and Chair of the Labour Party
  • Anneliese Dodds, Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer
  • Lisa Nandy, Shadow Foreign Secretary
  • Nick Thomas-Symonds, Shadow Home Secretary
  • Rachel Reeves, Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
  • David Lammy, Shadow Justice Secretary
  • John Healey, Shadow Defence Secretary
  • Ed Miliband, Shadow Business, Energy and Industrial Secretary
  • Emily Thornberry, Shadow International Trade Secretary
  • Jonathan Reynolds, Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary
  • Jonathan Ashworth, Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
  • Rebecca Long-Bailey, Shadow Education Secretary
  • Jo Stevens, Shadow Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
  • Bridget Philipson, Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury
  • Luke Pollard, Shadow Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Secretary
  • Steve Reed, Shadow Communities and Local Government Secretary
  • Thangam Debbonaire, Shadow Housing Secretary
  • Jim McMahon, Shadow Transport Secretary
  • Preet Kaur Gill, Shadow International Development Secretary
  • Louise Haigh, Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary (interim)
  • Ian Murray, Shadow Scotland Secretary
  • Nia Griffith, Shadow Wales Secretary
  • Marsha de Cordova, Shadow Women and Equalities Secretary
  • Andy McDonald, Shadow Employment Rights and Protections Secretary
  • Rosena Allin-Khan, Shadow Minister for Mental Health
  • Cat Smith, Shadow Minister for Young People and Voter Engagement
  • Lord Falconer, Shadow Attorney General
  • Valerie Vaz, Shadow Leader of the House
  • Nick Brown, Opposition Chief Whip
  • Baroness Smith, Shadow Leader of the Lords
  • Lord McAvoy, Lords’ Opposition Chief Whip

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

peanut- posted:

Are people still getting post delivered generally? I've had nothing since Wednesday and am expecting things that I know have been sent.

I've not had my letter from Joris yet, nor my letter for being in the ultra high risk group that should have been here weeks ago.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
David Lammy, Shadow Justice Secretary :getin: That's a good pick if ever I saw one

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bring out the budgetstones.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
RLB to Education, huh

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Doesn't work how it is "supposed to" then, under the way capitalism is "supposed" to work.

A principal of capitalism is that everything has a price, does it mean some people are working out patents with out the ability to produce them just to sell them? Sure. But most people use patent protection to make the thing they patent.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ronya posted:

RLB to Education, huh

Yeah that's neither as bold or as cowardly as I was wondering might happen, but squarely in the

??? sideways ???

I guess it's because the position is now vacated by Rayner.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Ugh get that oval office Ian Murry tae gently caress

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The problem with patents is that the barrier to entry is high for the ordinary person and the timespan is short.

The problem with copyright is the complete opposite.

It's not too bad really, myself and my colleague filled and got a patent on something, the patent office really help you through the process. It's more complex because they are attempting to stop you patenting things that everyone already knows and does, unlike copyright where is an actual concrete thing, patent is an idea about how to do a thing so it's naturally more complex. Any reasonably intelligent people could file a valid patent.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I find the theory of patent/copyright law fascinating, can anyone recommend a good book on it, perhaps one that covers the history of it and also covers the communist (practical or theoretical) approach to it?
I don't think there's one single communist approach to it.

I was going through some East German chemistry patents a while back and they all seemed quite close to Western ones. The 'owner' of the idea was almost always the research institution rather than a business or individual, but that's not really unusual in the West for those types of patents.

Most anarchists would dispute the whole idea, because as Kropotkin would say, your brain only got that idea to make that thing because of the whole of society, the people that taught you to read, the people who taught you science, the people who made books available free in libraries, the people who blowed the glass for your glassware, the people who hauled the coal that kept your lab warm, so that patent contains a small amount of the sweat of all their brows.

Within a capitalist system that just means that big companies would profit from your work for free, but he would say that's a problem with big companies and profit rather than intellectual freedom.

Aramoro posted:

It's not too bad really, myself and my colleague filled and got a patent on something, the patent office really help you through the process. It's more complex because they are attempting to stop you patenting things that everyone already knows and does, unlike copyright where is an actual concrete thing, patent is an idea about how to do a thing so it's naturally more complex. Any reasonably intelligent people could file a valid patent.
Sure, but there's the whole filing cost and process, whereas copyright is an automatically occurring thing. I get why it is, there's no library or numbered list of copyrights, it's just weird that copyright is so extensive in timeframe whereas patent is so limited. Like it'd make more sense if you owned the copyright for life but people were allowed to remix or use it in part in other things without paying royalties after say 25 years, or if copyright was automatic but non-transferable, or if you could transfer it, but you had to register it.

As it is it's automatic like a human right, but alienable like a bond or a chocolate bar, and it lasts for far too long.

Also Disney keeps extending it which is a joke because most of their movies are pilfered from the public domain.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ugh get that oval office Ian Murry tae gently caress

Like I said on the Twit machine, I'd rather a dastardly Sassenach as Shadow Scottish Secretary than that turd in the punch bowl.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
bojo definitely not dead and actually completely fine and normal, nothing to see here, move along

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson in 'good spirits' in hospital posted:

Boris Johnson says he is in "good spirits" after spending the night in hospital with coronavirus.

The PM was taken to St Thomas' Hospital in London on Sunday evening with "persistent symptoms" - including a temperature and a cough - for routine tests.

He remains in charge of government, although Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab chaired Monday's coronavirus meeting.

Mr Johnson, 55, tested positive for coronavirus 10 days ago.

In a tweet, he said he was "keeping in touch with my team as we work together to fight this virus and keep everyone safe".

He also thanked the "brilliant NHS staff" taking care of him and other patients, adding: "You are the best of Britain".

The prime minister's official spokesman said he remained in hospital "under observation", and described Russian reports that Mr Johnson had been placed on a ventilator as "disinformation".

He is continuing to receive updates and briefings in hospital, the spokesman added.

Last month, the prime minister's spokesman said if Mr Johnson was unwell and unable to work, Mr Raab, as the first secretary of state, would stand in.

e: I'm sure they would definitely tell us if he was dying

saw this guy in the response to the tweets and he's so Tory boy it hurts

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1247137221167153153?s=20

E2: Johnson is definitely a Tory boy, but this is the one I meant

https://twitter.com/JamesLYucel/status/1247138334713032706?s=20

XMNN fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 6, 2020

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The aldi near me has been out of sunflower seeds so I changed to a mix and I was worried the birds weren't as keen on it. I swapped it out with black sunflowers and the bullfinches are back which is a relief:

CHOMP:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Like I said on the Twit machine, I'd rather a dastardly Sassenach as Shadow Scottish Secretary than that turd in the punch bowl.
Monkey paw curls up for Shadow Scottish Secretary Jess Phillips.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

broad tent-y looking with the expected sidelining of corbyn figures

i kinda think the rachel reeves and chancellor right wing cabinet stuff was probably put out beforehand to make whatever came next look better

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Josef bugman posted:

But I assume that the incentive will mainly have vanished because most "new" inventions aren't actually done by a single person, but by a larger organisation.

The organisation still needs to pay those workers, and therefore have them developing something which can be monetised. Take pharmas, where development can take years and years, so they want a period of exclusivity to make sure they can get a return.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So we have

Anneliese Dodds - Shadow Chancellor
Lisa Nady - Shadow Foreign Secretary
Nick Thomas-Symonds - Shadow Home Sec
Rachel Reeves - Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
Jonathan Ashworth - Shadow Sec for Health and Social Care
David Lammy - Shadow Justice Sec
John Healey - Shadow Defence Sec
Ed Miliband - Shadow Business, Energy and Industrial Sec
Jo Stevens - Shadow Digital, Culture Media and Sport
Bridget Philipson - Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury
Luke Pollard - Shadow EFRA
Steve Reed - Shadow Communities and Local Government Sec
Thangam Debbonaire - Shadow Housing Sec
Jim McMahon - Shadow Transport Sec
Preet Kaur Gill - Shadow Intl Development Sec
Louise Haigh - Shadow Northern Ireland Sec
Ian Murray - Shadow Scotland Sec
Marsha de Cordova - Shadow Women and Equalities Sec
Andy McDonald - Shadow Employment Rights and Protections Sec
Rosena Allin-Khan - Shadow Minister for Mental Health
Lord Falconer - Shadow Attorney General

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

The organisation still needs to pay those workers, and therefore have them developing something which can be monetised. Take pharmas, where development can take years and years, so they want a period of exclusivity to make sure they can get a return.

But why? Surely simply curing the sick is good and the company itself shouldn't be generating profit?

I am of course speaking of how things should be as opposed to how they are.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ukle posted:

Jonathan Reynolds, Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary

This is the only pick that's worrying me. Sure there's some assholes, but this guy feels more like a snake.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Daddy Bowis sent me a letter today :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I ordered a book a couple of weeks back a few days before the lockdown begun, and i've had some other mail through but not that. i'm just assuming it's gone forever and if it does turn up eventually that'll be a nice bonus. i mean it's not like i actually need it and one of the independent bookshops around here got some money out of it so could be worse.