Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Someone got angry at me because I thought it was good that there was a wide variety of materia available in Midgar and that you didn't have to grind.

Like... really angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lmao I like the idea that there's someone who's such a purist that they'd be pissed you can get materia and spells that you couldn't in the original

Cloud should be stuck with the Buster Sword for 80% of the game and you should be able to cast like five spells total for the whole thing or it's not faithful!!!!!!! :argh:

(Also looking forward to people being mad that you almost certainly won't get to carry over your levels, equipment, and materia to part 2 because you're already ending part 1 with -ga level spells and levels in the 30s and 40s)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

exquisite tea posted:

Why would you be surprised that the game is good. It's a remake of what is already a very good game, some might even say one of the best RPGs ever made.

The more surprising thing is that it even came out to begin with.

I mean, go back a few dozen pages ITT for some extreme pessimism.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Just finished it tonight. Can confirm, that metascore is very accurate. It actually feels like a good blend of old and new, both plot and gameplay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

zakharov posted:

I will not!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

exquisite tea posted:

Why would you be surprised that the game is good. It's a remake of what is already a very good game, some might even say one of the best RPGs ever made.

After Blizzard showed just how easy it is to completely destroy a "sure thing" with Warcraft III: Reforged, everyone realized that remakes are not actually a "sure thing" and got worried.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

zakharov posted:

Yeah because if the thing is good you can feel the pessimism being washed away in an awesome wave while you also enjoy the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kith posted:

After Blizzard showed just how easy it is to completely destroy a "sure thing" with Warcraft III: Reforged, everyone realized that remakes are not actually a "sure thing" and got worried.

I think the venn diagram of people who were really invested in the War3 remake and FF7 are limited to like, me and you. I don't think they have much to do with each other.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just wanna fuckin play this game!!!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

AnarkiJ posted:

I'm still have a theory that square hasn't forgotten about all the people that just wanted a faithful 1:1 remake. Had a thought like, they could do what they did with FFXV:PE and make a Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Pocket Edition kind of thing. That way everybody who has a switch can play ff7remake too, cause there's no way square will get this running on the switch as is. That way they can justify doing a smaller scale game with remade assets and new translation for all the people that never played the original or just want something exactly like the old game but better translated and remastered everything in 4k. Except I'm sure it'll still be awful cause they'll use like chunky chibi models for all the characters and monsters like ffXV:PE did and everyone will hate it.

Also I never actually played ffXV:PE so have no idea how it compares to XV other than the chibi models, I'm one of the weirdos that liked XV on release too.

I think Pocket Edition did alright, earning a few million downloads on mobile platforms (though how much of that translated into actual money being spent is unclear) but nobody ever talks about it so in that sense it wasn't very successful. Perhaps they'll do the same for Remake, since both games had crazy high production costs and SE will no doubt want to recoup those costs somehow.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I think there are a lot of people whose default assumption has been that it will be passable and a bit bland. The FF series has been on a slow decline for a long time now (FFXIV seems to have a lot of niche appeal but the MMOs are a different beast).

As someone who was crazy about FF as a kid I've certainly not been that interested in a final fantasy game since XII and barely paid attention to the 7 remake until I played the demo and realized it might actually be good.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Hell, same

ff7r and trials of mana should hopefully make the rest of April a lot more bearable

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm feeling reasonably optimistic about the future parts coming out within a reasonable amount of time, too (granted I define that as like 2 years or so between installments). The engine is there, they've built the combat system, got a lot of assets to keep using, a set direction for the gameplay and story now, all of that. Hell, the FFXIII games were about 2 years between installments and those even had big gameplay changes between them.

Mainwaring posted:

I think there are a lot of people whose default assumption has been that it will be passable and a bit bland. The FF series has been on a slow decline for a long time now (FFXIV seems to have a lot of niche appeal but the MMOs are a different beast).

As someone who was crazy about FF as a kid I've certainly not been that interested in a final fantasy game since XII and barely paid attention to the 7 remake until I played the demo and realized it might actually be good.

Before E3 2019 I sort of passively assumed the game was still stuck in development hell and if it did ever come out it'd be really pretty but kind of bad. That presentation, all the previews after that, and the demo turned me around completely, though.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Mainwaring posted:

That's me exactly. Like FFXV was such a disaster of game making, despite a decent story told over like half a dozen media pieces. I really thought square just cold not make video games anymore.

It didn't help that between Hitman, Tomb Raider, and Deus Ex all of their other IPSs were in decline.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Thundercracker posted:

That's me exactly. Like FFXV was such a disaster of game making, despite a decent story told over like half a dozen media pieces. I really thought square just cold not make video games anymore.

It didn't help that between Hitman, Tomb Raider, and Deus Ex all of their other IPSs were in decline.

:agreed:

Also :lol: Kingdom Hearts is also a franchise that exists

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

exquisite tea posted:

I think the venn diagram of people who were really invested in the War3 remake and FF7 are limited to like, me and you. I don't think they have much to do with each other.

Warcraft 3 and Final Fantasy 7 alone occupied probably a good 20% of my brain as a thirteen year old. There are dozens of us

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm pleased the reviews are so positive, and I'm really excited for my copy to arrive.

I just can't shake the feeling that I'll reach the end and be left thinking "that's it?" - and none of the reviews have said anything that assuages that.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

With all honesty I've lost a lot of faith in Square-Enix to produce anything of high quality for Final Fantasy since like... 2006? To me everything they've put out after FFXII has either felt hollow or like a blatant low-effort cash grab (looking at you, mobile and PC ports of older games). Aside from FFXIV at least.

Mainwaring posted:

Pretty much this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

:agreed:

Also :lol: Kingdom Hearts is also a franchise that exists

the kingdom hearts franchise is a garbage fire and KH3 was especially awful but the involvement of disney and their legal team introduces so many other problems with that series' development that i can't help but view it as an outlier

i was still less than enthused about this, and still am, but the demo did a lot to alleviate my concerns. we're still all going to die before this project is complete

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

I think Square could always make good games--the Bravely games, Octopath Traveler, etc. all came out during Square's "can't do anything but FFXIV right" phase--but they were a lovely publisher for western games like Tomb Raider and Hitman, and I think just had a habit of getting stuck in horrible quagmires with anything Final Fantasy. The development of FFXIV 1.0 and that whole disaster is well-documented and I bet it's emblematic of how things went for everything Final Fantasy for a good while there.

Given the budget the FFVII Remake is getting, and the fact that it's going to be like at least three games, I doubt we'll see a Final Fantasy XVI any time soon, but I really hope that when the time does come for that, they take the lessons learned from FFXIV 2.0 and FFVII Remake and just, y'know, worry about making a good game instead of getting stuck in a vortex about the Final Fantasy label and its legacy.

And of course on the "Enix" side of Square Enix, Dragon Quest has been killing it. Both Dragon Quest Builders games are great, and Dragon Quest XI is fantastic.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

I think Square could always make good games--the Bravely games, Octopath Traveler, etc. all came out during Square's "can't do anything but FFXIV right" phase--but they were a lovely publisher for western games like Tomb Raider and Hitman, and I think just had a habit of getting stuck in horrible quagmires with anything Final Fantasy. The development of FFXIV 1.0 and that whole disaster is well-documented and I bet it's emblematic of how things went for everything Final Fantasy for a good while there.

Given the budget the FFVII Remake is getting, and the fact that it's going to be like at least three games, I doubt we'll see a Final Fantasy XVI any time soon, but I really hope that when the time does come for that, they take the lessons learned from FFXIV 2.0 and FFVII Remake and just, y'know, worry about making a good game instead of getting stuck in a vortex about the Final Fantasy label and its legacy.

And of course on the "Enix" side of Square Enix, Dragon Quest has been killing it. Both Dragon Quest Builders games are great, and Dragon Quest XI is fantastic.

I intentionally specified Final Fantasy for that reason myself. The DQ series still kicks rear end and the Bravely series seems decent.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I wish they'd just do something good with their more obscure title, Vagrant Story, Actraiser, Valkyrie Profile, I'd love some more of any of those.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Harrow posted:

Yoshi-p is the Exec Producer on FF16 so I bet we'll see something sooner than you expect (still not for another year though)

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Agents are GO! posted:

I wish they'd just do something good with their more obscure title, Vagrant Story, Actraiser, Valkyrie Profile, I'd love some more of any of those.

I would love them to update actraiser. The first one is amazing and 12 year old me loved it so much.

Glad the reviews for ff7 are positive, though I was sure they would be. Pretty excited to play. I never beat it when I played younger, the grind for endgame material is what sank me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Square is generally fine. Their western releases were all great until recently (dropping Hitman and Mankind Divided being bad were big blows). And they still put out classics like Nier Automata.

Everything to do with Final Fantasy has been terrible since XII though - and even that was borderline. Apparently XIV is good. :shrug:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

XIV is good.

https://twitter.com/FF_XlV_EN/status/1245396906009903105

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the kingdom hearts franchise is a garbage fire and KH3 was especially awful but the involvement of disney and their legal team introduces so many other problems with that series' development that i can't help but view it as an outlier

I think the only good way to experience Kingdom Hearts is through LPs but I'd love to see a documentary that explained all the legal problems the developers had to work past. It all sounds like a nightmare, what with how Disney enforces strick rules regarding how characters from different franchises are allowed to interact with one another and their depictions must meet certain standards, which can vary significantly. And also if Disney's subsidiaries have existing contracts with other companies it can complicate matters even further.

In KH1, even though Mickey was a significant part of the story, they weren't legally allowed to show him on screen except once, at the very end:

Nomura posted:

That's also the reason Mickey is in only one scene in Kingdom Hearts 1. At the same time, another company was releasing a game that had to do with Mickey, so though we were denied his usage, we persisted and eventually got "as long as you only have one scene, from far away, as a silhouette, with him waving his hand or something". Since we had to make the best of the biggest [and only] chance we had, that's why that scene appears that way."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stev posted:

Square is generally fine. Their western releases were all great until recently (dropping Hitman and Mankind Divided being bad were big blows). And they still put out classics like Nier Automata.

Everything to do with Final Fantasy has been terrible since XII though - and even that was borderline. Apparently XIV is good. :shrug:

FFXIV is very good. The latest expansion's main story (Shadowbringers) is the best Final Fantasy story in a long time, with one of the best FF villains ever, and the first expansion (Heavensward) has an excellent story, too. Stormblood is... okay.

But it's also still very much an MMO, and it has its rough patches. The A Realm Reborn content--the level 1-50 stuff--has a ton of filler and padding, even if it does have a good story buried under all that, so there's a gigantic barrier to entry. This is something they're actively working on and I think the next major patch is supposed to come with a rework of the ARR content to streamline it and cut out the padding so new players have an easier on-ramp.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

FFXIV is very good. The latest expansion's main story (Shadowbringers) is the best Final Fantasy story in a long time, with one of the best FF villains ever, and the first expansion (Heavensward) has an excellent story, too. Stormblood is... okay.

But it's also still very much an MMO, and it has its rough patches. The A Realm Reborn content--the level 1-50 stuff--has a ton of filler and padding, even if it does have a good story buried under all that, so there's a gigantic barrier to entry. This is something they're actively working on and I think the next major patch is supposed to come with a rework of the ARR content to streamline it and cut out the padding so new players have an easier on-ramp.

I've tried to get into it three or four times, but the first 10 hours of ARR are so intensely boring that I just lose the will to carry on every time.

If they do some sort of rework that just lets you blitz through the main story quests to get to the good content then I'll give it another go. I'm not keen on the idea of an outright levelling skip though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, and I wouldn't recommend buying a leveling/story skip either. Part of the reason Shadowbringers is so good is that it can build on everything that came before.

What's going on right now is they're adding a New Game+ feature that lets you replay previous expansions' stories, but they haven't added ARR to it yet because they're reworking it first. No idea how extensive that rework will be, but if they can cut out the filler (and speed up leveling from 1-50 as a consequence) then I think that'd be a great time to try again.

ARR really drags as it is now and I don't blame anyone for bouncing off it. I know there are some people who like it--a friend of mine had a blast the whole way through when she first got into FFXIV during Stormblood--but I think for a lot of people it's just something they just put their head down and try to power through. Revamping it would be a huge win for bringing in new players.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You -can- skip the ARR story for a fee, but there's a ton of important stuff in there that doesn't become important until later, and come time for Shadowbringers and especially the Dark Knight stories they play a lot with the player's thoughts and feelings regarding even the boring things that have happened up to that point. We'll see what happens in 5.3.

e: ye

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Updated review: This is like watching The Hobbit in what I assume is a twelve hour director's cut. Also The Hobbit if everyone wanted to bone down with Bilbo for the entire series.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I honestly think that the Crystal Tools debacle was an important growing pain for HD-era Square Enix. It's taken a while for the aftermath of that to play out, with two whole mainline Final Fantasy games needing to be reworked in a new engine (which still wasn't amazing, but at least didn't crash constantly), but FFXV ended up being so much more charming and compelling than it had any right to be and absolutely sticks the landing, especially with the reworked final chapter in the Royal Edition, while FFXIV has gradually morphed into an incredibly slick experience with just the best soundtrack, and is able to have fun with the series and its legacy instead of being weighed down by its own sense of prestige.

With FFVII Remake, they finally gave up trying to reinvent every part of the wheel and just used an off-the-shelf engine, and cranked out a solid title with decent mechanics that is equal parts amazing spectacle and knowingly overblown goofiness. I would be very surprised if we get another FFXIII for the next mainline title.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Naoki Yoshida said in an interview last year that he thinks FFXVI should go back to a straight-up fantasy setting so if it's true he's involved in FFXVI then we'll probably see something that's nothing like XIII or XV.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

I've tried to get into it three or four times, but the first 10 hours of ARR are so intensely boring that I just lose the will to carry on every time.

If they do some sort of rework that just lets you blitz through the main story quests to get to the good content then I'll give it another go. I'm not keen on the idea of an outright levelling skip though.

I made it to what I think is the middle of Heavensward before burning out last year. Might go back to it at some point but holy moly they really don't want you to reach the stuff everyone raves about and there's just so much padding to get there.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Ten-fifteen hours in, my biggest gripe is one we saw in the demo as well: if an enemy does a big or interrupting attack after you have selected a special ability or magic but before it is performed, you will lose both the attack/action and the ATB bars it needed.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Terper posted:

You -can- skip the ARR story for a fee, but there's a ton of important stuff in there that doesn't become important until later, and come time for Shadowbringers and especially the Dark Knight stories they play a lot with the player's thoughts and feelings regarding even the boring things that have happened up to that point. We'll see what happens in 5.3.

e: ye

Ignore this man, skip ARR, it's boring as poo poo, watch a YouTube and go enjoy the fun stuff.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They are revamping the starting experience for FFXIV, I dont know how much they are going to improve it but its probably second only to adding new story to the actual game because the biggest bar on getting new people on board is how incredibly time consuming it is for new players to go through 2.0 to 3.0

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I enjoyed the Squeenix Deus Ex and Tomb Raider games :shrug:

But yeah, based on the last decade I didn't think that Square could release a good FF game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pennfalath posted:

Ten-fifteen hours in, my biggest gripe is one we saw in the demo as well: if an enemy does a big or interrupting attack after you have selected a special ability or magic but before it is performed, you will lose both the attack/action and the ATB bars it needed.

Barrett has steelskin to prevent staggers. I imagine stuff like barrier or some other mangic should help in preventing / mitigating this. It feels like a deliberate decision so you don’t just blindly cast abilities and spells during combat and keep an eye on who’s getting attacked and when your attack windows are.