Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

I was going through some East German chemistry patents a while back

*red light starts blinking in corner of GCHQ*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Yeah that's neither as bold or as cowardly as I was wondering might happen, but squarely in the

??? sideways ???

I guess it's because the position is now vacated by Rayner.

And because Starmer wanted Miliband in a mid-tier post, but didn't think Shadow Education played to his strengths?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Made some bread for the first time, and it was actually pretty good!

Either I got lucky or I'm some kind of baking savant.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Sure, but there's the whole filing cost and process, whereas copyright is an automatically occurring thing. I get why it is, there's no library or numbered list of copyrights, it's just weird that copyright is so extensive in timeframe whereas patent is so limited. Like it'd make more sense if you owned the copyright for life but people were allowed to remix or use it in part in other things without paying royalties after say 25 years, or if copyright was automatic but non-transferable, or if you could transfer it, but you had to register it.

It's generally because patents have to be unique. You can file for £60 if you do the prior art searches yourself or you just feel confident about doing it. The reason patents are generally short is because your idea is supposed to be useful to society so it's long enough for you to make money out of it before everyone gets a crack at it. Patent is 20 years, maybe copyright should be as well, or just life of the creator? I'm not sure.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

crispix posted:

Daddy Bowis sent me a letter today :holy:

I hear he personally licked all the envelopes from his hospital bed where he's currently having a member of special branch clean up his runny bum.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

But why? Surely simply curing the sick is good and the company itself shouldn't be generating profit?

I am of course speaking of how things should be as opposed to how they are.

I'm still confused, you're argument seems to be that patents don't work for capitalism, but they really really do, like all the time they feed into the capitalist system.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Gonzo McFee posted:

I hear he personally licked all the envelopes from his hospital bed where he's currently having a member of special branch clean up his runny bum.

I thought grooms of the stool could only be in the monarch's employ but I suppose it makes sense to give them that level of security clearance

You could really do a lot of damage to a person with unfettered access to their arse

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Aramoro posted:

I'm still confused, you're argument seems to be that patents don't work for capitalism, but they really really do, like all the time they feed into the capitalist system.

Oh no, I mean it does work for Capitalism, it just doesn't "work" for helping folks (which is supposedly what Capitalism is for)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Aramoro posted:

It's generally because patents have to be unique. You can file for £60 if you do the prior art searches yourself or you just feel confident about doing it. The reason patents are generally short is because your idea is supposed to be useful to society so it's long enough for you to make money out of it before everyone gets a crack at it. Patent is 20 years, maybe copyright should be as well, or just life of the creator? I'm not sure.

I think copyright used to be just life of the creator until Disney got the yanks to go with life of the creator + the number of years since Walt Disney died, and everyone else followed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

marktheando posted:

I think copyright used to be just life of the creator until Disney got the yanks to go with life of the creator + the number of years since Walt Disney died, and everyone else followed.

“US copyright law traces its lineage back to the British Statute of Anne, which influenced the first US federal copyright law, the Copyright Act of 1790. The length of copyright established by the Founding Fathers was short, 14 years, plus the ability to renew it one time, for 14 more. 40 years later, it was changed to 28 years. It was not until a full 180 years after its establishment that it was significantly extended beyond that, in Copyright Act of 1976 to "Either 75 years or the life of the author plus 50 years". and the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 (also called the "Mickey Mouse Protection Act", because it prevented the copyright from expiring on the first commercial success of the cartoon character Mickey Mouse), which increased it even more, to 120 years, or the life of the author plus 70 years.”

Edit: thought I was in uspol, still.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 6, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

I think with copyright the terms should be different for different uses.

Like if you put out an EP and I just duplicate it without any creative labor of my own and start selling it for a quid less then that's clearly bullshit and artists should be protected from that.

But if I want to remix a song from the 50s that they themselves stole from a delta bluesman without credit, then having to hunt down the rights holder because the original author only died 30 years ago is some horseshit. That should be like 20 years max to encourage creative freedom, in the same way that patents are short to encourage innovation.

crispix posted:

You could really do a lot of damage to a person with unfettered access to their arse
:frogon::heysexy:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

peanut- posted:

Are people still getting post delivered generally? I've had nothing since Wednesday and am expecting things that I know have been sent.

My block is (South Wales)
(Our local postperson uses a pull-along cart as it is town centre.)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Could people take me out of the OP for Labour contacts? I resigned my membership this afternoon after Keir appointed a transphobe to the NEC.

Have considered doing this a number of times during Corbyn's tenure but this was the final nail in my faith that transphobia was going to be dealt with in the party. It's loving everywhere and Labour isn't safe for LGBT+ people to be in.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mfcrocker posted:

Could people take me out of the OP for Labour contacts? I resigned my membership this afternoon after Keir appointed a transphobe to the NEC.

Have considered doing this a number of times during Corbyn's tenure but this was the final nail in my faith that transphobia was going to be dealt with in the party. It's loving everywhere and Labour isn't safe for LGBT+ people to be in.

Oh yeah, me too

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's Bristol West cut in half.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/_x_6_6_6/status/1247117797492170752
lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What's this 'Karen' thing? I feel I have missed something.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Stereotypical middle aged middle class woman who wants to see your manager immediately.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm asking the question already knowing the answer in my heart, but you can't get UC/JSA if you quit your job, can you? Even if you quit because your company is forcing you not only to come in to work when there's nothing to do, but threatening to dock your wages if you're not in exactly 9-5 even though that means you have to travel on public transport at the busiest time?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1247169890819203072

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Essentially you know the lady who says "I want to speak to your manager" because you are dealing with two things at once when you are on the front desk of some big hotel/ retail place? That.

Except that a lot of Terfy folks are now crying about it because it's misogynistic. To be slightly fair to them, it is. But it is more about Class than anything else and the fuckers saying it are the exact same people who identify most closely with "Karens" than anyone else.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It’s almost always a middle-aged white woman who is both completely blind to her privilege and extremely offended when you point out she’s using it

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

Barry Foster posted:

Oh yeah, me too

I hope that if Labour becomes a better place for everyone that you folks feel able to come back. Keep safe and keep fighting the good fight.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm asking the question already knowing the answer in my heart, but you can't get UC/JSA if you quit your job, can you? Even if you quit because your company is forcing you not only to come in to work when there's nothing to do, but threatening to dock your wages if you're not in exactly 9-5 even though that means you have to travel on public transport at the busiest time?

Yes you can

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

communism bitch posted:

Stereotypical middle aged middle class woman who wants to see your manager immediately.

Also, white - I think it's from black twitter originally

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Josef bugman posted:

I hope that if Labour becomes a better place for everyone that you folks feel able to come back. Keep safe and keep fighting the good fight.

Sure, it won't though. There's too many transphobes in the PLP, far too many in the CLPs and no-one's paying any attention to turfing them out.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

feedmegin posted:

Also, white - I think it's from black twitter originally
Yeah, it's the woman who called the cops because some black people were having a picnic in the park, and those like her.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1247172802744115200

But where are the positions for the people who did nothing but poo poo on the party any chance they could get, asks a journalist.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you can claim straight away, but if the DWP don’t accept that your reason for quitting was good enough your first 3 months will be sanctioned.
no idea how the situation you’ve described would play out. but if they can afford the 20% pay cut for going on the government furlough scheme that could be a better option if the company accepts the suggestion

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

Good news, another contributor figured out a way to do it that's relatively hobbyist proof!

Ah good good, I didn't think it would need to be very complicated. The ones I've seen on commercial masks are pretty simple. Literally just a flap of flexible rubbery stuff which is mounted in such a way that it blows open from one direction and sucks closed with airflow the opposite way. Admittedly yeah you need a rubber washer or flap made from a different kind of material, but there are components companies out there like Essentra who sell those things by the 100,000 - I've used Essentra for stuff before, most of their stuff has "In stock - 130,217" or whatever.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
presumably they're keeping Boris in for a second night if they've not announced he has been discharged yet?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/status/1247156159896748032?s=19

Well at least we're not digging mass Graves in the parks yet.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

yet

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Well, so long as it's dignified and orderly :monocle:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

crispix posted:

At least they're still in boxes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Looke posted:

Yes you can

Cerv posted:

you can claim straight away, but if the DWP don’t accept that your reason for quitting was good enough your first 3 months will be sanctioned.
no idea how the situation you’ve described would play out. but if they can afford the 20% pay cut for going on the government furlough scheme that could be a better option if the company accepts the suggestion

Thanks both, I wasn't asking about a specific person, more a composite of a couple of people I know in broadly similar situations (which suggests there are probably tens of thousands in similar or worse positions).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

That doesn't even make any sense, why bury them in Central Park then come back and dig them up in a few months?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm assuming the plan is to dig them up again wherever they bury them, so it might just be that it's more efficient to move them to somewhere central than shipping them to some fields?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
The problem with British parks is that we already used them as plague pits so you can't do any digging without pulling up piles of bodies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leith_Links#The_Plague_of_1645

quote:

The plague which struck Leith in 1645 was only one of many periodic outbreaks of plague that occurred in Edinburgh and Leith between the 14th and 17th centuries. The historian Christopher Smout believes that the 1645 epidemic, which occurred at a time when warring armies were on the march, probably resulted from the spread of typhus. It may have been carried north by Scottish soldiers present at the Siege of Newcastle where plague was reported after the town's surrender to General Leslie on 19 October 1644.

The records of South Leith Parish Church reveal that the first cases of "the pest" appeared in Yardheads in April 1645 and that the outbreak reached its height that summer. David Alderstone, member of the Kirk Session and the town's Water Bailie, left a unique, detailed record of the epidemic. The town was divided into quarters, each under the supervision of a quartermaster charged with ascertaining the number of infected in each quarter and supplying them with food. As a quarantine measure the infected were removed to huts on the Links, divided into quarters corresponding to those in the town and similarly placed under quartermasters. An overseer appointed to co-ordinate their activities reported initially that "he cannot gait up ane list of the names and ludges in the Linkes becaus none will go with him", but by 17 July he had succeeded in handing in "a paper book of paper wrytin on both sides...divyding the Ludges, who buildit thm, to qm [whom] thei appertaine, how many people were in everie Ludge". However, he seems to have fallen victim to the plague because an entry for 20 July names someone else as overseer.

An entry for 17 July, when it was "ordained to provyd some wemen to help to fill ye cairts [of muck and refuse]" suggests there was a shortage of able-bodied men for cleansing the town. The women were drawn mainly from the infected, although female prisoners were also put to work. The bailies and quartermasters visited the huts daily, distributing to each person three half-loaves of bread, a Scotch pint of ale and any other necessities. A special storehouse manned by two storekeepers was built to accommodate the provisions. The huts were cleaned by "foul clengeris" who wore a distinctive uniform described as "ane joupe [coat] of blak with a St. Andrew's Cross of quhyte clayth sewit about with the sam for designing and knawing of thame be utheris". Clothing was disinfected by boiling in large iron cauldrons. Clothing that could not be so treated was burned, or placed in kilns to subject it to the smoke and heat of burning heather and whins. One such kiln in the form of a converted castle doocot still stands at Lochend, about a mile south of the Links. Apart from a few exceptions in South Leith Kirkyard, the dead were buried on the Links, wrapped in the coarse blankets in which they had lain. After the outbreak had abated Aldinstone, a fortunate survivor, reported to the Session on 3 February 1646 that the number of fatalities for South Leith amounted to 2,421 (out of an estimated population in excess of 4,000), for Restalrig 160 and Craigend (i.e. Calton) 155, making a total of 2,736 for the whole parish. No records have survived in respect of the smaller parish of North Leith.

During works in the playground of St Mary's RC Primary School (on the north edge of Leith Links) the remains of 79 bodies were found, thought to be victims of the plague. They were interred in Rosebank Cemetery in 2018 and marked with a memorial plaque.