Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

Well, RE4 Leon was 6 years older and probably a lot more jaded.

That I can understand. Just something about his RE2make model looked off to me, in a weirdly goofy way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
From certain angles, he looked weirdly Asian to me.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Resident Evil 4 is still one of the best games of all time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bogart posted:

Resident Evil 4 is still one of the best games of all time.

1000%
I played through it again last year, it just needs a new coat of paint and updated controls. I'll be very sad if they remake it and don't stick close enough to use the original voice acting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

People were bagging on Leon's look back in 1998. He was also meant to be dorky and the remake nailed the look of his original render while making him even MORE of a boy scout. If RE2 was a movie he would totally be played by Chis Evans channeling all the energy of early Captain America.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Leon in RE2 was based off of Leonardo DiCaprio

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Leonardo DiKennedy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's unlikely Leon was specifically based on DiCaprio unless someone at Capcom was wild over Romeo + Juliet as Titanic came out a month or two before RE2 released, but Steve is absolutely inspired by DiCaprio's role and all other portrayals of him outside the Dreamcast game they give him a Leon haircut instead of the DiCaprio middle-part.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
RE3R has a pretty blatant RE4R tease in it so I'd expect that to be up next, probably after the main team finishes their next project (which is totally going to be RE8 I bet)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like the actual systems built into RE6, it’s just the scenario design of that game is so bad. Drop RE6 controls into Resident Evil 4’s structure and you can have another $60 Capcom.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
dino crisis remake

come to me, i invoke you

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RE4make but with Dino Crisis as the tie-in bonus content.
All of Leon's contextual attacks remain intact.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I would love that. The second is one of my favourite games on PS1 but the first is kind of a huge mess. It has an excellent intro and first act, but after that it has a half finished feeling.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Finished RE3 three times and it has grown on me each time. It's a completely different feel from RE2's survival horror. It almost feels like a more old-school "level" style game. Yeah, it's survival horror still, but the various set pieces feel more like levels. You got a sewer level, a spider level, a couple of arena boss fights. It's a different direction, but I kinda dug it. Maybe it's because I've been playing a lot of Doom Eternal, I dunno. I also, oddly, appreciate that it's pretty short and nearly all of the dialog and cutscenes are skipable (including the drat walkie-talkie stuff). It feels so arcade-y at times that I'm really surprised the wasn't a Survivors arcade-style mini game added on. Maybe we'll get some more free DLC.

If people asked me should they buy this over RE2, I'd say probably not, but I still like it more the more I play it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Blockhouse posted:

RE3R has a pretty blatant RE4R tease in it so I'd expect that to be up next, probably after the main team finishes their next project (which is totally going to be RE8 I bet)

What's this now?

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Hellburger99 posted:

Finished RE3 three times and it has grown on me each time. It's a completely different feel from RE2's survival horror. It almost feels like a more old-school "level" style game. Yeah, it's survival horror still, but the various set pieces feel more like levels. You got a sewer level, a spider level, a couple of arena boss fights. It's a different direction, but I kinda dug it. Maybe it's because I've been playing a lot of Doom Eternal, I dunno. I also, oddly, appreciate that it's pretty short and nearly all of the dialog and cutscenes are skipable (including the drat walkie-talkie stuff). It feels so arcade-y at times that I'm really surprised the wasn't a Survivors arcade-style mini game added on. Maybe we'll get some more free DLC.

If people asked me should they buy this over RE2, I'd say probably not, but I still like it more the more I play it.

I agree. It's definitely not as good as 2, but it's still a very good game and fun to play through. I loved the final showdown moment with Nemesis.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Does the RE3 remake still have the randomized damage on your weapons from the RE2 remake? Because that was really annoying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Hel posted:

Does the RE3 remake still have the randomized damage on your weapons from the RE2 remake? Because that was really annoying.
Not sure if the damage is randomized, but it does still have manually set health values for individual zombies and increasing overall enemy health as you progress through the game, so the exact same number of shots tends to not kill any two given zombies.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah, each zombie in RE2make had unique HP values. The damage was always constant.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’ll be a voice of dissent: I think this might be better than the re2make. Jill feels like more of a character than Leon or Claire ever did and the great set pieces built around Die Hard Jill are a joy to play through.

The opening five minutes of this game slap harder than anything I’ve played in a long time. And the bones of Raccoon feel lived in so I never got tired of sprinting through them to get away from that giant fucker oh god why is he so fast.

*disclosure: I have not totally finished the game but I’m right at the end

I don’t think we need a RE4make but I’d take a good version of Zero or Veronica or honestly a full retcon of 5 and 6 into playable games.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

weekly font posted:

I’ll be a voice of dissent: I think this might be better than the re2make. Jill feels like more of a character than Leon or Claire ever did and the great set pieces built around Die Hard Jill are a joy to play through.
I won't disagree that Jill has a lot of personality in this game, but I would really like to know why you think that Leon and Claire don't. They're really well-differentiated and have tons and tons of dialogue (both plot and incidental) that goes to great lengths to establish their personalities and characters. Not trying to start an argument about it, just genuinely curious.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 6, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I will never get tired of Claire's exasperated "What's wrong with you?", said with all the weight of someone who is sick of their friend being a weirdo, while she shoots the guts out of a roving corpse.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 6, 2020

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
everyone talks about Claire from the RE2 remake as if she's Jill from the RE3 remake because she swears a couple times

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Jill looking like she's barely in her 20s and having jiggle physics was a total bummer but Nemesis looked rad so IDK give and take I guess.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, she is supposed to be a 23 years old special forces agent as of Resident Evil 1/3, so that's not quite something you can blame the game for. :v:

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Has anyone played Visage? I played for about 15 minutes and loving hell my blood pressure couldn't take it. I'm guessing it only get more intense?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, she is supposed to be a 23 years old special forces agent as of Resident Evil 1/3, so that's not quite something you can blame the game for. :v:

According to the RE wiki born in 74, joined the army, got into Delta Force, and then was recruited into STARS at 22

In JRPG terms she's the grizzled war vet of a 1000 battles

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Alright well the jiggle physics are still a total bummer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Len posted:

According to the RE wiki born in 74, joined the army, got into Delta Force, and then was recruited into STARS at 22

Jill's talents are lying on her resumes and then being badass enough to back it up anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Len posted:

She still doesn't hold a candle to Chris Redfield, who is all that, but also a former ace pilot on top of it all. Joined at 17, went into retirement around 23, became leader of a special forces team by 24. That kind of career makes me feel bad about myself.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Resident Evil 10 is just evading the guy with a video camera trying to nail Jill and Chris on charges of stolen valor.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 6, 2020

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I really love when people bring up that Jill and Chris are unbelievably young at the start of the series, but because they never rebooted it , later RE is one of the few games with female characters over the age of 30.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Is Jill also the daughter of a cat burglar or was that some S.D Perry background/ something I imagined?

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Has anyone played Visage? I played for about 15 minutes and loving hell my blood pressure couldn't take it. I'm guessing it only get more intense?

Chapter 1? The answer is yes, very much so.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hel posted:

I really love when people bring up that Jill and Chris are unbelievably young at the start of the series, but because they never rebooted it , later RE is one of the few games with female characters over the age of 30.
That it runs on real-time by long-standing tradition is genuinely one of the best things about the series. You might actually one day see people who are old but still useful and important in it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

She still doesn't hold a candle to Chris Redfield, who is all that, but also a former ace pilot on top of it all. Joined at 17, went into retirement around 23, became leader of a special forces team by 24. That kind of career makes me feel bad about myself.

I made my peace a long time ago with the knowledge that I'll never be able to punch a boulder. Some people can, and that's okay. :unsmith:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I made my peace a long time ago with the knowledge that I'll never be able to punch a boulder. Some people can, and that's okay. :unsmith:
I have found that I can punch a boulder, but the boulder really does not care. :smith:

But I have science and explosives now, which is almost as good.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cardiovorax posted:

I won't disagree that Jill has a lot of personality in this game, but I would really like to know why you think that Leon and Claire don't. They're really well-differentiated and have tons and tons of dialogue (both plot and incidental) that goes to great lengths to establish their personalities and characters. Not trying to start an argument about it, just genuinely curious.

Claire was better cause at least she had a scene that felt like there was some genuine emotion (Sherry/Irons) but both Leon and Claire's main character traits seemed to be "being sad about their B-character." I didn't care a ton cause the game was good and the "this is fine" tone they both had about driving into a mini apocalypse was completely on par with writing for a Resident Evil character. Which is to say, bad.

Weirdly the characters that got the most help in being a character in Re2Make was the lady Birkin and Kendo. Great side characters all up and down 2.

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Is Jill also the daughter of a cat burglar or was that some S.D Perry background/ something I imagined?

I don't know if it's canon but it's absolutely in those books.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

I still haven't gotten back to it. It's terrifying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

weekly font posted:

Claire was better cause at least she had a scene that felt like there was some genuine emotion (Sherry/Irons) but both Leon and Claire's main character traits seemed to be "being sad about their B-character." I didn't care a ton cause the game was good and the "this is fine" tone they both had about driving into a mini apocalypse was completely on par with writing for a Resident Evil character. Which is to say, bad.
Fair enough. Gotta admit, though, if that is the problem you had with it, I'm not sure why you would say that Jill is better. She's definitely also very much a B-movie character who just takes things in stride and makes quips about it as she goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
'bitch can't even swim' is hilarious and not ridiculously bland, at least