Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I. M. Gei posted:

Also quoting this from a couple of pages back cuz I need to buy something immediately.

Someone in DIY suggested lemon essential oil might be a good thing to try, since I don’t have anymore space to put new plants. So now I need to ask a few questions to figure out how much oil to buy.

1. How much oil do I need to apply to an area about 450 sq ft in size? I kinda doubt any of y’all would have any experience with this, but a rough estimate would help me out immensely.
2. How often might I need to apply it?
3. How DO I apply it? I’m assuming I need to spray it (I already have a backpack sprayer I can use), and that I have to mix it with something to make it sprayable. What should I mix it with so I can spray it?

Or is there something better for the job than lemon essential oil out there that I should use instead (that won’t acidify my soil)?

Citrus and many other essential oils are toxic to cats so uh avoid that one.

Use a cat specific deterrent spray like bitter apple or rosemary extract+denatonium benzoate (the chemical that makes nintendo switch cartridges taste bad).

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Boogalo posted:

Citrus and many other essential oils are toxic to cats so uh avoid that one.

:stare: ... good to know. Thanks.

I just discovered companies like Ortho and Bonide make cat repellent sprays and granules. Do any of those products work? The Amazon reviews are a bit iffy.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 1, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay so after doing a bit more research, I’ve decided to go with a combined assault. I plan to lay chicken wire on the ground where my apple trees are (which is the only part of my yard where this is feasible), set up a motion activated sprinkler (or hopefully two, if I can afford it), and apply cat repellent spray and/or granules around the individual plants themselves.

The chicken wire is gonna be a pain. I’m gonna have to rent a chainsaw to remove a couple of thick stumps to make the ground level before I lay it down. I’m also a little worried I might trip and fall on it, so if y’all know any ways to minimize the possibility of that I’m all ears.

I need y’all to recommend me some good motion sprinklers, repellent sprays, and repellent granules. For the sprinkler(s), I’m leaning toward an Orbit 62120 Garden Enforcer and, if I can afford a second one after that, either an Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer or a second Garden Enforcer, but do tell me if there’s anything better. I have no idea what sprays or granules are good. The ones Google showed me either had questionable reviews or were made from potentially toxic poo poo like the aforementioned citrus oils.

Help me!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey my cat has had some kind of URI for about two months that hasn't gone away, so we took her to the vet. The vet gave her a shot of antibiotics that will last two weeks and a booster shot to stimulate her immune system. Since then she's been pretty sleepy and hasn't really eaten much at dinner or breakfast time(it's been about 24 hours). Should I be worried? Is there a way to get my cat to eat more if she's nauseous or something?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nah she'll probably just eat more when she's hungry and no longer groggy from the shot. You'll often see stressed cats moved into a new house seemingly not eating for the first day or two. They can survive on little food for a while and be ok.

I'd be worried if she still continues to not be hungry for another day or two. And even then, just call your doctor for advice first, to ask if it's normal.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah she'll probably just eat more when she's hungry and no longer groggy from the shot. You'll often see stressed cats moved into a new house seemingly not eating for the first day or two. They can survive on little food for a while and be ok.

I'd be worried if she still continues to not be hungry for another day or two. And even then, just call your doctor for advice first, to ask if it's normal.

I looked up how to make a nauseous cat eat, and gave her some chicken pate with a little bit of chicken broth and she nibbled on that for a few minutes so there's that.

Only ate about a third of it but she's not a super heavy eater anyway and she's used to our other cat finishing her meals for her once she's done, so I'm not super worried.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Okay so after doing a bit more research, I’ve decided to go with a combined assault. I plan to lay chicken wire on the ground where my apple trees are (which is the only part of my yard where this is feasible), set up a motion activated sprinkler (or hopefully two, if I can afford it), and apply cat repellent spray and/or granules around the individual plants themselves.

The chicken wire is gonna be a pain. I’m gonna have to rent a chainsaw to remove a couple of thick stumps to make the ground level before I lay it down. I’m also a little worried I might trip and fall on it, so if y’all know any ways to minimize the possibility of that I’m all ears.

I need y’all to recommend me some good motion sprinklers, repellent sprays, and repellent granules. For the sprinkler(s), I’m leaning toward an Orbit 62120 Garden Enforcer and, if I can afford a second one after that, either an Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer or a second Garden Enforcer, but do tell me if there’s anything better. I have no idea what sprays or granules are good. The ones Google showed me either had questionable reviews or were made from potentially toxic poo poo like the aforementioned citrus oils.

Help me!

Dude we mostly know stuff about taking care of pet cats here, not keeping them out of a garden. This is why you don't really get responses when you post about this in this thread. The plants thread might be better, or the small questions thread, or pretty much any thread other than the pet cat thread, aside from having some idea of what's toxic or not.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My cat has taken to drinking out of the toilet rather than out of his dish/cup, ever since I stopped leaving cups of water on the coffee table for him to drink out of (he splashes everywhere). Do I need to worry about this? I do keep my toilet clean.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Not a Children posted:

My cat has taken to drinking out of the toilet rather than out of his dish/cup, ever since I stopped leaving cups of water on the coffee table for him to drink out of (he splashes everywhere). Do I need to worry about this? I do keep my toilet clean.

Put the lid down, you savage.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not a Children posted:

Yeah, don't let your cat drink out of the toilet. Close the lid and weight it down if he knows how to open it.

How often do you change your cats' water and clean the bowls? He might prefer fresh water - since the toilet has new water every time you flush, it seems fresher to him. I have a cat who rushes over to drink some water every time I change the bowls - it really does matter to them.

You might also want to try getting one of those cat fountains, I can bet that will be infinitely more appealing than any water cup or toilet.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Organza Quiz posted:

Dude we mostly know stuff about taking care of pet cats here, not keeping them out of a garden. This is why you don't really get responses when you post about this in this thread. The plants thread might be better, or the small questions thread, or pretty much any thread other than the pet cat thread, aside from having some idea of what's toxic or not.

Don’t y’all also have a pretty decent knowledge of what cats don’t like, that also won’t kill them? That’s why I’m asking these questions here.

That, and because none of the other threads you mentioned know important details like “citrus oils are potentially toxic to cats”, whereas this thread does. Nobody in DIY seems to be aware of that fact, or else they would have mentioned it (or not suggested I use lemon oil at all) since I specifically told them I didn’t want to harm these cats when I asked there (and I’m still asking there FYI, but multiple perspectives is still useful so I ask here too).

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

drunken officeparty posted:

I got a new kitten recently who is now about 3 1/2 months old. He got all his shots and stuff fine but the vet says he has a heart murmur and it’s a risk to get him neutered??? They keep suggesting I do a blood test for ~$300 or a ultrasound or whatever for another $7-800. I don’t really have the money for that on top of the $300 they want to neuter. I love him so much and I just don’t know what to do. My other cats have gotten neutered at one of those quick chop shops for cheap. Maybe just pay for the vet to neuter because they will be aware and I guess more careful? Anyone have any experience with this?

Also his teeth are so, so orange and he snores and breathes so heavy but thats another thing.

Heart murmurs can be very serious, or they can be no big deal. It's not a matter of the vet being "more careful." It's that the vet is worried your cat's heart might fail during a normal procedure if they don't know the extent of the problem.

If it's a minor defect that's causing the murmur, the kitten might even grow out of it, but my cat didn't. The risk in neutering, at least from my experience with our cat, is that some seemingly normal things just aren't safe. For example, subq fluids are a very common, safe protocol for most cats. But my cat's heart defect means she can only have low subq fluid doses, to not overload her heart, and the cardiologist gave us a list of meds she can/can't have, also because of the impact on her heart.

My cat is "lucky" in that her murmur comes from a hole in her heart that makes blood re-circulate in the heart in a way that picks up extra oxygen before it gets pumped out into the body. But some heart murmurs are caused by holes that lead to bloodflow in the other direction, meaning blood doesn't get enough oxygen before it goes out to the body, and that can cause serious health problems if it's not managed. Some heart murmurs require medication to manage.

Blood tests are also normal before spaying/neutering. The vet probably wants to know if there are any indicators that might change which meds they use.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Cross posting from the vet thread.

My partners cat has had this occur. Looks nasty. To those in the know, shall I just suggest the same advice? (Go to vet) I’m clueless on pet related advice as I do not have one and there are issues with Vets and Covid at the moment.

Edit: in particular, is there anything she can do to stop the cat scratching at it? She suspects allergy or fleas at the moment. The cat is fairly young, and she’s only had it 3 months from a rescue place. It is an indoor cat.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah that warrants a vet visit. Or at the very least calling one to ask for advice.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone have litter box recommendations for a big cat? My guy is 15 lbs, and I'm pretty sure his current litter box is a bit too small for him. Also any recommendations for cat furniture that will stand up to him, I literally haven't been able to find a scratching post that is both tall enough for him and stable enough for him not to knock it over.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Get a plastic storage bin for the litter. Way easier to find one that is the right size. Will also be much cheaper.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Got my kitten spayed, vet has new corona protocol so she wasnt held over-night. She has fed, peed, and most importantly pooped. All is well in the land. Unfortunately her kitten energy is going full throttle, and she desperately wants to play. As its been 24 hours since the spay, whats some ok types of play that wouldnt have a negative impact on her recovery?

Edit: the boxes are forming a blockade so she cant just dissapear up into my box spring while she is such a state.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 3, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yep that's a kitten. Just try stuff that doesn't involve jumping on things? If you can figure out brainwork games that might tire her out mentally that might help. But it's basically impossible to get a kitten to actually rest so it's mostly just keeping an eye on the stitches to make sure they look okay still.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Hey also just an fyi to the cat thread, your babies can get it

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/cats-can-infect-each-other-with-coronavirus-chinese-study-finds?CMP=share_btn_tw

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

"The paper, which is not yet peer reviewed-" THEN SHUT THE gently caress UP

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Deviant posted:

"The paper, which is not yet peer reviewed-" THEN SHUT THE gently caress UP

Actually these pre-print articles are really important during this pandemic. It takes months to conduct peer review so there is a bunch of unreviewed COVID-19 research being used because it's literally all we have.

Take it with a grain of salt*, but it's not worth dismissing offhand because it hasn't gone through review yet. If you read the linked article, there are quotes from a couple UK researchers including an observation that SARS (a closely related virus) was transmitted to cats. But you should be worried about transmission to/from other people, not your furry idiots.

Source: I'm a PhD research scientist.

*Chinese research has a reputation for being kinda crap and is not generally well-regarded, but in this instance the pandemic started there and they have the most experience with the virus and potential transmission to pets. So, y'know, don't accept or reject things uncritically.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Fritz the Horse posted:

Actually these pre-print articles are really important during this pandemic. It takes months to conduct peer review so there is a bunch of unreviewed COVID-19 research being used because it's literally all we have.

Take it with a grain of salt*, but it's not worth dismissing offhand because it hasn't gone through review yet. If you read the linked article, there are quotes from a couple UK researchers including an observation that SARS (a closely related virus) was transmitted to cats. But you should be worried about transmission to/from other people, not your furry idiots.

Source: I'm a PhD research scientist.

*Chinese research has a reputation for being kinda crap and is not generally well-regarded, but in this instance the pandemic started there and they have the most experience with the virus and potential transmission to pets. So, y'know, don't accept or reject things uncritically.

As a fellow PhD research scientist, all excellent and valid points and thank you for making them.

There are a handful of positive tests for cats outside of China. The problem is we don't have enough tests for humans, so its not like we're testing pets vigorously to catch all cases. Transmission across species is likely rare, and hopefully if they are infected the illness will be as mild for most pets as it is in humans.

Honestly if you are treating this pandemic seriously, your routine shouldn't change a heck of a lot to take into account your pet's safety. Wash your hands, clean your house thoroughly, don't leave the house unless its essential, and get enough sleep/exercise.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Especially if you have an indoor cat because they most likey aren't in contact with anyone but your household and maybe the vet. That this virus can apparently infect dogs and cats is mostly academic, it's useful to better understand how this and related viruses can hop species but it's not super relevant to the spread of the pandemic right now.

Just, uh, don't keep bats as pets I guess.

I've read that having access to all these pre-print articles (which mostly haven't finished peer review) is actually a good thing in this situation, it's a product of publishing moving online/electronic. Yeah you have to be a little more careful but the benefit is you have COVID-19 data being available now as opposed to six months from now. We don't have the luxury of waiting for the regular peer-review process in this instance.

Of course you have bad outcomes too like Trump deciding hydroxychloroquine is the miracle cure based on one really dubious study but that's getting pretty far outside the topic of Cat Thread.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

Don’t y’all also have a pretty decent knowledge of what cats don’t like, that also won’t kill them? That’s why I’m asking these questions here.

That, and because none of the other threads you mentioned know important details like “citrus oils are potentially toxic to cats”, whereas this thread does. Nobody in DIY seems to be aware of that fact, or else they would have mentioned it (or not suggested I use lemon oil at all) since I specifically told them I didn’t want to harm these cats when I asked there (and I’m still asking there FYI, but multiple perspectives is still useful so I ask here too).

Area denial is probably going to work best with the least amount of chemical involvement, so the chickenwire is a good call. If your other plants are in pots on the ground, you're going to have to chickenwire them too or at least elevate them off the ground and be inaccessible from cat parkour. If they're in pots, maybe one of those $24 heavier plastic shelving units from Lowe's.

Cats are also dumb too, so she'll try to get into those plants in front of you, and when you're not looking. The whole "scents" thing of sprays and granuals is more voodoo than science. Motion-detecting sprinklers seem like overkill.

Otherwise, you have a cat. Cat is gonna be dumb and eat plant things.

I do very much recommend setting up a pot or three of cat-edible plants for the little furball to munch on. Lemongrass, catgrass, spiderplants. I like to have my spiderplant elevated so the hanging stems are accessible but the main plant is safe from chew destruction. She'll be less inclined (but still occasionally) to enter a denied area when she's peckish for greens when easier access is available.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, Buddy's pee is getting a little red. UTI time, got an appointment set up for Monday.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Terry isn't keeping food down since this morning. I've fed him smaller and smaller meals and he keeps throwing up. Is it ok if I wait till Monday to get him seen, if he's otherwise in good spirits? What should I do till then?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Terry isn't keeping food down since this morning. I've fed him smaller and smaller meals and he keeps throwing up. Is it ok if I wait till Monday to get him seen, if he's otherwise in good spirits? What should I do till then?

Bean was having trouble keeping stuff down a few months back, we put mineral oil and water down her face and gave her wet food and eventually she started poopin' again

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Len posted:

Bean was having trouble keeping stuff down a few months back, we put mineral oil and water down her face and gave her wet food and eventually she started poopin' again

Like with a syringe? Might be able to give Terry some water or gravy that way. A vet could also give him subcutaneous fluids, so that will be happening Monday if I don't see improvement in the morning.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Like with a syringe? Might be able to give Terry some water or gravy that way. A vet could also give him subcutaneous fluids, so that will be happening Monday if I don't see improvement in the morning.

I used to use an eyedropper but I found down one of the baby aisles this thing and it's done wonders http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ezy-Dose-Kids-True-Easy-Syringe-10-mL/36282226

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A few days ago I had a cat, now I have some pictures of a cat, piles of food and litter, a broken bell and no cat.

IDGI, stay 50 metres from home and you get food and scratches your whole life, out there is just poo poo. Why take that deal kitty?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

massive spider posted:

A few days ago I had a cat, now I have some pictures of a cat, piles of food and litter, a broken bell and no cat.

IDGI, stay 50 metres from home and you get food and scratches your whole life, out there is just poo poo. Why take that deal kitty?

That's terrible.. Did the kitty run away? If he did, I wouldn't totally give up hope and I'd at least try and put some signs up around the neighborhood, make some noise - you never know! When I was younger we had a kitty vanish for 3 weeks (we think he got locked in a garage) and then one rainy night he was just right there at the window, albeit very emaciated and soaking wet and pathetic... One can never tell sometimes. If I am misinterpreting your post and he was hit by a car or something similarly sudden and tragic, I'm very sorry :(

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Cat Wings posted:

Anyone have litter box recommendations for a big cat? My guy is 15 lbs, and I'm pretty sure his current litter box is a bit too small for him. Also any recommendations for cat furniture that will stand up to him, I literally haven't been able to find a scratching post that is both tall enough for him and stable enough for him not to knock it over.

When I still had my 16lb megacat, we had to go horizontal for his scratching needs - this kind of thing: https://www.amazon.com/Kitty-City-Corrugate-Scratchers-Cardboard/dp/B01MZG54L6?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
We also got him a wide-load one of these https://www.squarecathabitat.com/products/modern-cat-scratcher/ but he mostly lay on it instead of scratching.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
My local vet is still doing call-to-drop-off service, which is fortunate because he discovered my 14-year-old cat Shosta has a missing back tooth. Where it used to be is a hole going "all the way up to his eye". The poor cat had been drooling and losing weight but since this was way in the back we didn't catch it at first; we had to explore under sedation after eliminating other "old cat losing weight" possibilities. The vet cleaned it out as best he could including using a laser, but said the angle meant he couldn't reach all the way to the back.

Shosta's going to be on antibiotics for another week and cat narcotics for a couple days to help with the pain. He can only chew dry food on one side of his mouth until the abscess drains and heals so I'm planning to give him wet food for the duration.

Mouth pain is awful and I feel bad he's been suffering for a month or more. He's my first cat; I got him based on advice from this forum back in 2006.

Is there anything else I can do for him?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, the good news is there's no crystals in the urine, so yay on that front.

Waiting to see what the culture result will be. It's a split between a bacterial infection or a behavioral-based problem.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Myok posted:

My local vet is still doing call-to-drop-off service, which is fortunate because he discovered my 14-year-old cat Shosta has a missing back tooth. Where it used to be is a hole going "all the way up to his eye". The poor cat had been drooling and losing weight but since this was way in the back we didn't catch it at first; we had to explore under sedation after eliminating other "old cat losing weight" possibilities. The vet cleaned it out as best he could including using a laser, but said the angle meant he couldn't reach all the way to the back.

Shosta's going to be on antibiotics for another week and cat narcotics for a couple days to help with the pain. He can only chew dry food on one side of his mouth until the abscess drains and heals so I'm planning to give him wet food for the duration.

Mouth pain is awful and I feel bad he's been suffering for a month or more. He's my first cat; I got him based on advice from this forum back in 2006.

Is there anything else I can do for him?

I'm sorry to hear that, but I suspect there's not much further that can be done. Cats are very good at hiding pain and discomfort and it is fortunate you were able to catch it at all given how far back in the mouth it was. The soft foods is a good idea, you may need to give him more than you may think because solid food is usually much more calorie dense. Besides that just continue what you're doing.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Bootcha posted:

Well, the good news is there's no crystals in the urine, so yay on that front.

Waiting to see what the culture result will be. It's a split between a bacterial infection or a behavioral-based problem.

My cat pees red when he's stressed. It's happened three times (in ten years so like, not that often) and I've gotten him x-rays all three times and no crystals, just cat with a stressed out bladder. :catstare:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

It’s finally warm here, and when we opened the windows our cat instantly shifted from winter mode to summer mode. Only problem is that she can’t really reach to look out the window. We used to have a cat perch that was just a metal frame with hooks for over the sill and feet that rested on the wall with a piece of fabric stretched over it. I have no idea what it was actually called, and all the sill perches I see for sale online seem to rely on some combination of velcro, suction cups, or screws. Does anyone know where I can find the type of perch I used to have? With C19 floating around I’d prefer not to have to go to the hardware and craft stores to build one, but we definitely want her to be entertained. I know someone is going to suggest putting a table in front of the window, but we’d prefer not to buy actual furniture and lack anything suitable that’s easily and conveniently rearranged.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Like this?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Idiot bastard cat came back. He’s 6 months old and had previously never shown any interest in going 5 metres from the house but last week got spooked and went on a week long grand tour where people responding to my flyers were claiming he was half a mile away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

No. The “hook and loop” in the description is Velcro. The perch I had before had actual metal tabs that hooked over the sill into the window frame. Maybe no one makes them anymore, idk