Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

It really does seem to come down to shining a spotlight on Big Navy's bullshit and them not liking being seen for what they are.

You're meant to do it quietly after the fact, not two days after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bloops posted:

posting this because it's still the funniest thing I've seen this year and it makes me happy
https://twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1215073526736195585?s=20

edit: betcha lot of those dudes are dead from corona

Its' really really funny and I already forgot about it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You're meant to do it quietly after the fact, not two days after.

Once upon a time, Donald Trump wished he could have a penny for every person he fired. Now he's a millionaire.

Edit:

Tom Dempsey died of covid. For the non-NFL followers, he was a kicker born with no toes on what became his kicking foot, and in 1970 kicked a goddamned 63-yard field goal. That record wasn't broken until 2013 (by one yard, and in Denver).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 6, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Reading the replies startled me because I had no idea that there was such a thing as a hardcore Yang stan.
https://twitter.com/APB_Pa/status/1246996859081707522

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Stultus Maximus posted:

Reading the replies startled me because I had no idea that there was such a thing as a hardcore Yang stan.
https://twitter.com/APB_Pa/status/1246996859081707522

Oh yeah I saw a group of Yang demonstrators at Pike Place Market a few months ago.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Did I hallucinate this, or did Trump make specific medical suggestions involving HCQ and Z packs last night?

huh, guess he did:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/us/politics/trump-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus.html

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Immanentized posted:

Did I hallucinate this, or did Trump make specific medical suggestions involving HQC and Z packs last night?

https://twitter.com/YuriKalzone70/status/1246616372148187141

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What do you have to lose? Take it!

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1247045743468306433

that's a thread with a few other comments and links to other publications coming out / refuting more of the drug claims.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can't wait to find out some day why this particular drug has managed to implant itself in his rotting swiss cheese dementia brain as a super cure. Is it narcissistic "I know best as I am eternal, infallible and all knowing"? Is he in on a grift somewhere making personal money off the sales rush? Is it the authoritarian strong man desire to have a cure to the deep state Democrat hoax that will be gone after 15 cases? There's just so many wonderful possibilities for how it's a self-serving lie I can't choose.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

You remember that cop that broke into *~*her own apartment*~* and shot that dude, and then they said something about how the dude had weed on him or something?

Prepare for hit pieces like that for coronavirus victims or people who die from taking a cocktail recommended by the president. If they had asthma, a cold two weeks ago, or even a broken finger, the cause of death won’t be coronavirus or malaria pills.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Woofer posted:

You remember that cop that broke into *~*her own apartment*~* and shot that dude, and then they said something about how the dude had weed on him or something?

Prepare for hit pieces like that for coronavirus victims or people who die from taking a cocktail recommended by the president. If they had asthma, a cold two weeks ago, or even a broken finger, the cause of death won’t be coronavirus or malaria pills.

Yesterday, I had someone tell me that if they look at all of the younger people dying from this they would find that they vaped or something that they brought on themselves. I cant decide if it was victim blaming or "they were no angel" line of authoritarian thought.

The same person was saying its just the flu last week.

His wife was going on about that lupus medicine and the antibiotic cocktail like it was a cure all.

Facebook is a brain disease.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I can't wait to find out some day why this particular drug has managed to implant itself in his rotting swiss cheese dementia brain as a super cure. Is it narcissistic "I know best as I am eternal, infallible and all knowing"? Is he in on a grift somewhere making personal money off the sales rush? Is it the authoritarian strong man desire to have a cure to the deep state Democrat hoax that will be gone after 15 cases? There's just so many wonderful possibilities for how it's a self-serving lie I can't choose.

It's because Novartis, a Swedish pharmaceutical company that makes a HCQ drug, paid Michael Cohen 1.2 million USD for "consulting" on how Trump would deal with pharma companies back in 2017.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Classic Trump trying to make money off people dying in a pandemic. Lol this guy really sticking it to the libs! Such a great businessman! A real leader!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

one of the most annoying groups of people are those that continue to blindly support a presidential candidate after they've dropped out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How to alienate the average Midshipman in one easy step

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1247176482486706176

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Cool so 3 million N95 masks bound for Ontario got stopped at the US border

We will run out in a week

gently caress your president so hard. This will kill people.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

What's the Secretary of the Navy's deal? I'm guessing he's some chud Mar a Lago buddy?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

He gets to pronounce the big word and look smart, that's it, that's the whole story.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/s...ingawful.com%2F

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
Hell yea start burying folks in central and prospect park; maybe then all the folks out and about will finally get the drat message

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sacrist65 posted:

Yesterday, I had someone tell me that if they look at all of the younger people dying from this they would find that they vaped or something that they brought on themselves. I cant decide if it was victim blaming or "they were no angel" line of authoritarian thought.

The same person was saying its just the flu last week.

His wife was going on about that lupus medicine and the antibiotic cocktail like it was a cure all.

Facebook is a brain disease.

It's not facebook, it's the hypervirulent strain of just world theory that's been circulating in the evangelical community for half a century cutting the gordian knot of theodicy by declaring that bad things don't happen to good people so if bad things happen to you then you are ipso facto a bad person

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

It's not facebook, it's the hypervirulent strain of just world theory that's been circulating in the evangelical community for half a century cutting the gordian knot of theodicy by declaring that bad things don't happen to good people so if bad things happen to you then you are ipso facto a bad person

Fortunately they're still going to church and Liberty U. This problem will sort itself out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When one of theirs dies it was part of God's unknowable plan.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

He gets to pronounce the big word and look smart, that's it, that's the whole story.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/s...ingawful.com%2F

https://twitter.com/BEAT_TWITTAR/status/1247183450278375424?s=20

Nailed it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

When one of theirs dies it was part of God's unknowable plan.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tryzzub posted:

Hell yea start burying folks in central and prospect park; maybe then all the folks out and about will finally get the drat message

The people in the cities aren't on the fence about this and the one's that are are there because of ideology. Hell, they might celebrate it. This thing has a real loving potential to come to a head

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Red Crown posted:

Reported text of acting SECNAV's address to TR over 1MC

this one gets a "holy loving yikes" from me

(I don't think anyone would lie when making this transcript, but it would have to have been made real time by someone in the ship's company)

"And let me tell ya something, the only reason we are dealing with this right now is a big authoritarian regime called China was not forthcoming about what was happening with this virus and they put the world at risk to protect themselves and their reputations. We don't do that in the Navy."

:laffo:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

My guess, aside from what's already been said, is that he said the thing once, and he has to be right, so he's going to do the time honored NUH UH tradition of doubling down until hundreds of thousands of people are dead.

Sacrist65 posted:

There's discussions about why smokers/vapers don't seem to be as impacted by this poo poo, and there's two theories: for vaping, it's the possibility that propylene glycol has sterilizing effects (based on a ludicrously old study so whatever), and for both, it's nicotine observably Doing Stuff to ACE2 enzymes in the lungs specifically, which is what the virus binds to.

I say 'Doing Stuff' because no one can seem to agree on whether it downregulates or upregulates, and there's not exactly a ton of people rushing to study nicotine. People are much happier to just tell smokers/vapers they're hosed.

Mind you, no one will ever say go out and start using nicotine - and no one should - but I'll have a good larf if smoking, for once, turns out to be of some benefit. In a respiratory disease.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

What do you have to lose? Take it!

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1247045743468306433

that's a thread with a few other comments and links to other publications coming out / refuting more of the drug claims.

https://twitter.com/sTeamTraen/status/1247086539454234624

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Good news, the DOW is up so far today! The Market must be very pleased with our offerings of dead grandparents!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tryzzub posted:

A lot of those people have no choice to leave if they have work or are simply poor and can’t swing constant ubers.

Listen I’m all for everyone bunkering in but let’s not throw poo poo at people who don’t have the luxury of working remotely or are low income.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tactical face masks.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Woofer posted:

lol like it hasn't already started

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

golden bubble posted:

Tactical face masks.
HEY THERE PRIVATE! YOU TAKE THAT PURPLE MASK OFF RIGHT THIS INSTANT! I DON'T CARE THAT YOU COULDN'T FIND ANY OTHERS! WHY DON'T YOU JUST GO SPIT ON THE FLAG WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!?

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Tryzzub posted:

I'm getting seriously uncomfortable how well (or poorly) movies like Children of Men and games like The Division have aged, given recent events

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

bloops posted:

A lot of those people have no choice to leave if they have work or are simply poor and can’t swing constant ubers.

Listen I’m all for everyone bunkering in but let’s not throw poo poo at people who don’t have the luxury of working remotely or are low income.

i was meaning specifically the rich folks who live near those parks and hang out in them

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tryzzub posted:

i was meaning specifically the rich folks who live near those parks and hang out in them

Ok well then gently caress them 100%

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/1247198856523198464

:lol:

This is wilddddd.

Tag yourselves, I'm the sailor yelling "WHAT THE gently caress?" when Modly calls Crozier stupid.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ironic historical echo: Theodore Roosevelt himself once did exactly what Crozier did.

quote:

"MAJOR-GENERAL SHAFTER.   

SIR: In a meeting of the general and medical officers called by you at the Palace this morning we were all, as you know, unanimous in our views of what should be done with the army. To keep us here, in the opinion of every officer commanding a division or a brigade, will simply involve the destruction of thousands. There is no possible reason for not shipping practically the entire command North at once. Yellow-fever cases are very few in the cavalry division, where I command one of the two brigades, and not one true case of yellow fever has occurred in this division, except among the men sent to the hospital at Siboney, where they have, I believe, contracted it. But in this division there have been 1,500 cases of malarial fever. Hardly a man has yet died from it, but the whole command is so weakened and shattered as to be ripe for dying like rotten sheep, when a real yellow-fever epidemic instead of a fake epidemic, like the present one, strikes us, as it is bound to do if we stay here at the height of the sickness season, August and the beginning of September. Quarantine against malarial fever is much like quarantining against the toothache.   
All of us are certain that as soon as the authorities at Washington fully appreciate the condition of the army, we shall be sent home. If we are kept here it will in all human possibility mean an appalling disaster, for the surgeons here estimate that over half the army, if kept here during the sickly season, will die. This is not only terrible from the stand-point of the individual lives lost, but it means ruin from the stand-point of military efficiency of the flower of the American army, for the great bulk of the regulars are here with you. The sick list, large though it is, exceeding four thousand, affords but a faint index of the debilitation of the army. Not twenty per cent. are fit for active work.   

Six weeks on the North Maine coast, for instance, or elsewhere where the yellow-fever germ cannot possibly propagate, would make us all as fit as fighting-cocks, as able as we are eager to take a leading part in the great campaign against Havana in the fall, even if we are not allowed to try Porto Rico.   

We can be moved North, if moved at once, with absolute safety to the country, although, of course, it would have been infinitely better if we had been moved North or to Porto Rico two weeks ago. If there were any object in keeping us here, we would face yellow fever with as much indifference as we faced bullets. But there is no object.   

The four immune regiments ordered here are sufficient to garrison the city and surrounding towns, and there is absolutely nothing for us to do here, and there has not been since the city surrendered. It is impossible to move into the interior. Every shifting of camp doubles the sick-rate in our present weakened condition, and, anyhow, the interior is rather worse than the coast, as I have found by actual reconnoissance. Our present camps are as healthy as any camps at this end of the island can be.   

I write only because I cannot see our men, who have fought so bravely and who have endured extreme hardship and danger so uncomplainingly, go to destruction without striving so far as lies in me to avert a doom as fearful as it is unnecessary and undeserved.

Yours respectfully,
THEODORE ROOSEVELT,
Colonel Commanding,
Second Cavalry Brigade."

Roosevelt delivered the letter to Shafter, but, presumably not convinced the corps commander would act on it in a timely fashion, also allegedly handed a copy of it to the Associated Press correspondent who was covering the Cuba beat. That correspondent quickly cabled the letter to AP headquarters and it published nationwide the same day.

The public outcry was overwhelming and unanimous in accusing the McKinley Administration of not caring about the troops. McKinley summoned his Secretary of War, Russell A. Alger, and vented his fury that the letter was leaked and ordered him to do what he could to make the problem go away. Alger ordered the Navy to send transport ships to retrieve Fifth Corps from Cuba and the Army to ready facilities at Camp Wikoff on Long Island to house the stricken soldiers once they arrived back in the United States.

Alger demurred when asked by the press whether the leak had caused him to react faster than he otherwise would have; however, he was on record as previously having asserted that no ships were available to bring Fifth Corps back from Cuba.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 6, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MA-Horus posted:

Cool so 3 million N95 masks bound for Ontario got stopped at the US border

We will run out in a week

gently caress your president so hard. This will kill people.

MA got their shipment yoinked out from under them in a NY harbor by the feds.

Tryzzub posted:

I guarantee you that people like my family will just say that this is what the queers, druggies and sinners in those big liberal cities had coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Teddy may been a poo poo head but caring about your troops and the wilderness makes him almost ok.