Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cardiovorax posted:

Fair enough. Gotta admit, though, if that is the problem you had with it, I'm not sure why you would say that Jill is better. She's definitely also very much a B-
movie character who just takes things in stride and makes quips about it as she goes.

Bonaventure posted:

'bitch can't even swim' is hilarious and not ridiculously bland, at least

Her being a one-liner pulp B-movie character works better here because the game itself is pulpier. The intro really sets up that Jill is horror John McClane who is going to take an absolute rear end kicking and keep coming. They have to establish that or things like taking a rocket to the chest and not dying are, somehow, even more unbelievable. Fortunately it doesn't dip into punching boulders territory but I would prefer it not go much farther than this, thanks.

Speaking of the intro just the concept of Jill having some PTSD from the Spencer Mansion is more character than Leon or Claire ever get. Despite that and despite her knowing she needs to get the hell out of dodge she's still got too much cop mode in her and regularly makes bad but selfless decisions. It shows a direct contrast to the mercs and puts Carlos neatly between, where he was just a stump in original from what I can remember.

Now, I'll grant that that maybe my memory is causing me to be a little unfair to Re2make because I didn't play it on release and ended up playing CONTROL immediately after followed by Disco Elysium and those games are eye-deep in character and writing. Nothing against the game, I got more than what I wanted out of it and you throw in Sekiro and I've mentioned my four favorite games of last year. They've really exceeded my expectations and they're concentrated doses of enjoyable action horror that I can dip back into for three hours at a time and get a full experience.

A++ would remake again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

weekly font posted:

Her being a one-liner pulp B-movie character works better here because the game itself is pulpier. The intro really sets up that Jill is horror John McClane who is going to take an absolute rear end kicking and keep coming. They have to establish that or things like taking a rocket to the chest and not dying are, somehow, even more unbelievable.

I can see where you're coming from. RE3make is the kind of game that is made for that sort of character, while RE2make isn't and goes more towards trying to portray Leon going from first-day Dork On The Job to 'Dude who blows up sewer crocodiles and makes bad one-liners at them.' I found it really charming, in a goofy kind of way, but there is a degree of dissonance to it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Cardiovorax posted:

That it runs on real-time by long-standing tradition is genuinely one of the best things about the series. You might actually one day see people who are old but still useful and important in it.
someone didnt play revelations 2

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Relin posted:

someone didnt play revelations 2
Barry isn't old, he's in the prime of his dadness. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh yeah I got Revelations 2 on my PS4, unplayed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'd love a 0 or CVX REmake so much.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I'd love a 0 or CVX REmake so much.

Well, Capcom are asking people if they want more remakes.

https://www.asia.capcom.com/qa/re3-sns/

So here's your chance to ask for a CVX or Dino Crisis remake

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

gently caress yeah Dino Crisis.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Re: remake Leon

https://twitter.com/everglaid_/status/1091364677093797889

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

GOG is having a sale on horror games, is The Last Door any good?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yes, I own the collector's edition. It's very nice and atmospheric. Steam currently has it at 65% off, so check if the GOG's is cheaper before you buy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Yes, I own the collector's edition. It's very nice and atmospheric. Steam currently has it at 65% off, so check if the GOG's is cheaper before you buy.

Thanks. I went ahead and bought it, now you're solely responsible for any fun/unhappiness I experience!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Last Door gets increasingly better, btw. I played through it with some friends and they were initially skeptical, but by the end of the first season they were 100% on board with the game. Admittedly they don't play adventure games or have the love for pixel art that I do, so that was some of their skepticism, but it took an episode or two before they were really into it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Last Door really does that Lovecraftian thing well where situations that just start as strange and unusual really blossom into supernaturally terrifying situations over the course of the seasons.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Last Door is interesting because it's as much a Poe game as it is a Lovecraft game

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Black August posted:

Jesus loving skin-crawling christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b69bNslA-II

:siren:Hardcore Body Horror:siren:
and some light jumpscares

If you loved this as much as I did you'll be happy to know the dev is working on a sequel:

https://twitter.com/stretchamstrung/status/1245755763156492293

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pigbuster posted:

If you loved this as much as I did you'll be happy to know the dev is working on a sequel:

https://twitter.com/stretchamstrung/status/1245755763156492293

Oh excellent, great to see a good dev continuing to make good spooky things.

The first one made my stomach twist. That dude was just so HAPPY to be assimilated into a fungal hivemind, it was almost wholesome which made the whole thing even more creepy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh excellent, great to see a good dev continuing to make good spooky things.

The first one made my stomach twist. That dude was just so HAPPY to be assimilated into a fungal hivemind, it was almost wholesome which made the whole thing even more creepy.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Anyone missing Tank Control Horror?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdd_VvJoLvc

e: There's a demo

https://caspercroes.itch.io/alisa-demo

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 19, 2020

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I'm the guy playing RE7 for the first time in 2020 who was genuinely surprised when I just now got to this part where the game is just: here's a bizon and a billion bullets. And this is F.E.A.R. You're playing F.E.A.R.

????? is this one of those 'just change it a little so it won't look like you copied' or did Capcom think nobody played F.E.A.R. or doesn't remember it? :wtc:

I still really like RE7 but golly somebody drive a stake through the heart of the creepy little girl trope please

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Eveline shows up like three or four times throughout the entirety of the game and RE7 otherwise has absolutely nothing in common with FEAR, what are you even going on about.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I miss the atmosphere and style but not the controls.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah ammo conservation is as important as ever in RE 7 so uh

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

Eveline shows up like three or four times throughout the entirety of the game and RE7 otherwise has absolutely nothing in common with FEAR, what are you even going on about.

Sounds like the boat at the very end of the game, it's what 45 minutes long?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Len posted:

Sounds like the boat at the very end of the game, it's what 45 minutes long?
Yeah, okay, fair point. That part goes a bit weird. Even then, though, I don't think Eveline shows up all that much except once or twice at the very end?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Specifically,

'little girl intended to be creepy with nonsensical powers breaks free of unethical scientist types, kills them messily, and is the source of the creepy thing that you, armed with a gun, must address, and she will giggle and run around and you will see her go around corners and stuff,'

this could be describing FEAR, or it could be describing the part of RE7 that I'm at

It's not a big deal, particularly if this is the very end of the game, but I honestly didn't see it coming. I was loving the hell out of the first part.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

MonsieurChoc posted:

I miss the atmosphere and style but not the controls.
The way he has the turning set up is especially clunky, most tank control games just had the character rotate in place instead of walking in a circle, still amazing production values for just one guy. Wish more indies could reproduce that late 90s 3d style.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 20, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

lurker2006 posted:

The way he has the turning set up is especially clunky, most tank control games just had the character rotate in place instead of walking in a circle, still amazing production values for just one guy. Wish more indies could reproduce that late 90s 3d style.

Yeah, I'm all in for PS1/Saturn nostalgia. Just give me slightly better controls and I'm all set.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danknificent posted:

Specifically,

'little girl intended to be creepy with nonsensical powers breaks free of unethical scientist types, kills them messily, and is the source of the creepy thing that you, armed with a gun, must address, and she will giggle and run around and you will see her go around corners and stuff,'

this could be describing FEAR, or it could be describing the part of RE7 that I'm at

It's not a big deal, particularly if this is the very end of the game, but I honestly didn't see it coming. I was loving the hell out of the first part.

Well FEAR was just copying Ringu so it comes full circle of East copying West copying East.

The last part of the game with Mia's tape and the mines is tonally weird. It feels like some exec said the game couldn't be 4 hours long so pad it out with some action. The final encounter in particular goes full Resident Evil ending so I guess without the action segments the tonal whiplash would've broken your neck when the obligatory rocket launcher sequence pops up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I really need to play that again. I remember thinking at the time that it felt like the devs suddenly got cold feet and leaned hard into jumping back into more familiar modern RE territory after all the creepy house and swamp stuff.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Part of me thinks the best part of RE7 was when I was running all over the place punching zombies as an overpowered Swamp Lord. Good times.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

Well FEAR was just copying Ringu so it comes full circle of East copying West copying East.

When FEAR did it The Ring was still pretty fresh and hadn't been run into the ground yet. FEAR also did it a lot better.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The crazy Texas Chainsaw family is also played out but it’s executed so well. I’d rather take a copy when the market isn’t saturated and while RE7’s creepy kid is in a handful of scenes Alma overstays her welcome like 2 hours in.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I really want a horror game using visuals like these, done in PS1 style but with modern controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grIgmz-wGAk

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Is Routine coming out soon or what

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Hey guys did you hear about the game "No one lives under the lighthouse?" It's the most itch.io game that's not an itch.io game. It's really good. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1254370/No_one_lives_under_the_lighthouse/

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Ok I have to ask, what's the Routine joke sbout? It's a reoccurring thing and I'm curious now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hector Delgado posted:

Ok I have to ask, what's the Routine joke sbout? It's a reoccurring thing and I'm curious now.

Routine was a really interesting looking sci-fi horror game that was announced back in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAcAd1fUiy8

They set a release date of March 2017 in a trailer (a trailer that wasn't released until 2016):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XRCYwQw8ss

And they've gone radio silent. The twitter hasn't been active since 2017: https://twitter.com/lunarsoftware?lang=en

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 23, 2020

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Ok thanks! That trailer looks really good, hopefully it's still coming someday.

or not, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Routine was a really interesting looking sci-fi horror game that was announced back in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAcAd1fUiy8

They set a release date of March 2017 in a trailer (a trailer that wasn't released until 2016):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XRCYwQw8ss

And they've gone radio silent. The twitter hasn't been active since 2017: https://twitter.com/lunarsoftware?lang=en

I thought they went on some rant about how Alien Isolation stole their idea and the game was basically dead?