Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Wow! The US has tested 1.8 millio people, that's

*checks notes*

.56% of the population!

drat Spaniards! Stealing our infected-per-capita-record!
Still #1 in tests per capita.

People around here seem to be staying at home... Let's wait this poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Warthog posted:

drat Spaniards! Stealing our infected-per-capita-record!
Still #1 in tests per capita.

People around here seem to be staying at home... Let's wait this poo poo out.

Not even top ten in tests per capita, USA is 41st.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Wisconsin governor suspends in-person voting for Tuesday's election

..well thank goodness. Dang.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Supermarket trip report. People have wisened up to markets being empty just before closing. Which means that is now not a thing anymore.

However, on the plus side, there are way more people wearing masks, most of them self-sewn. I'd say almost 1/4 of people wearing masks as opposed to nearly no-one last week.

Still, gonna have to go shopping even earlier in the morning to dodge crowds.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

A friend of mine said 1800 contacts was filling orders without an updated prescription.

that's cool. I've been ordering contacts from overseas vendors since 2009 because a) an injury in my left eye back in 2006 messed up my vision and "US health care" b) i hate faking it on vision tests for the opportunity to get an rx c) it already takes extra weeks to get my contacts because that rx i have isn't kept in store.

only just recently did i have an issue where a vendor was blocked from accepting US cards and paypal, but they emailed me with info if another company to use, and they've been great.

i an currently waiting on 4 boxes of acuvue 2s that i ordered a month ago thinking it was time to stock up.

ive kept using the same rx for the last 11 years (I'm a gen x'er) and the only thing I've recently noticed is: with both my contacts in I'm now becoming farsighted, which i think just comes with old age, though. i guess that's why reading glasses exist. but if i only wear one contact (i do this a lot) then I can read up close small print and also things 50 feet away, with a hint of blurriness thrown in.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Grocery shopped at supper time yesterday, it was nearly empty. All of the stores now have arrows to guide you and lanes are one way. Some folks did not pay attention to that. I watched a young couple pick up and put down multiple items and the lone other shopper told them off (from a safe distance).

There was a limit on frozen vegetables and a few canned goods. Pretty much every item was stocked just fine aside from baking supplies. Could not get baking powder

Wasn't sure if I'd be out of place in a mask. A good third of people I saw were masked up. Cover up in public

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I made a call

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

10K deaths in the US as of today. Seems fine.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

its gunna be fought in court lets hope the judge doesnt suck

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Hopper posted:

Supermarket trip report. People have wisened up to markets being empty just before closing. Which means that is now not a thing anymore.

However, on the plus side, there are way more people wearing masks, most of them self-sewn. I'd say almost 1/4 of people wearing masks as opposed to nearly no-one last week.

Still, gonna have to go shopping even earlier in the morning to dodge crowds.

I went to a grocery store in NC today and the stock was better than usual, the only things they were totally out of were eggs and flour, which I’m fine on.

There wasn’t more than 1 person in each aisle, most of them had masks and they had a person in self checkout wiping the screens after each use.

All in all it was much better an experience than a week ago.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Sure, Covid-19 is horrible but we're going to get a sweeeeeeet memorial out of it

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/apr/04/medics-in-brazil-fear-official-coronavirus-tally-ignores-a-mountain-of-deaths

Brazil coronavirus: medics fear official tally ignores ‘a mountain of deaths’

“What’s happening is enormous underreporting,” said Isabella Ręllo, a doctor working in emergency and intensive care in Rio de Janeiro hospitals, in a widely shared Facebook post challenging official numbers. “There are MANY more,” she wrote.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Trump gunna push elections to 2021 now.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MattO posted:

Sure, Covid-19 is horrible but we're going to get a sweeeeeeet memorial out of it

Its gonna be... beautiful. Some are saying the most beautiful. More beautiful than the 9/11 memorial? I dont know. Some people are saying that. We'll see.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
15k bronze toilet paper rolls stacked in a massive pyramid

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s going to be some horribly ageing avant‐garde poo poo.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Another Bill posted:

Its gonna be... beautiful. Some are saying the most beautiful. More beautiful than the 9/11 memorial? I dont know. Some people are saying that. We'll see.

We're gonna have the most deaths, the bigliest number

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

quote:

Bats are speculated to be reservoirs of several emerging viruses including coronaviruses (CoVs) that cause serious disease in humans and agricultural animals. These include CoVs that cause severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), porcine epidemic diarrhea (PED) and severe acute diarrhea syndrome (SADS). Bats that are naturally infected or experimentally infected do not demonstrate clinical signs of disease. These observations have allowed researchers to speculate that bats are the likely reservoirs or ancestral hosts for several CoVs. In this review, we follow the CoV outbreaks that are speculated to have originated in bats.

QuarkJets posted:

Most modern disease outbreaks have come from domesticated animals, not bats. I think it makes sense to not eat bats I'm just saying that your risk profile is all janked

And yet the most recent and most dangerous diseases globally have come from bats, primarily. Not to mention that unlike domesticated animals which we need for food, we can comfortably cease most contact with bats and be little worse off. That isn't true of livestock, nevertheless new laws concerning sanitation and livestock care shouldn't be out of the question. The more conscientiously we handle and distribute these animals the more protected we will be, and bats is a very good place to start it seems, despite your ranting about risk profiles and how you are the only one who can understand them.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ve found that by checking the instacart app a couple times a week meant I could see when bulk items like rice that sold out get restocked and make a big order

also canned goods weren’t limited for online orders (limit 4 in person, all you what online)

gave my delivery guy a big tip

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
batman fuckin up

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Spinz posted:

We're gonna have the most deaths, the bigliest number

'member how earlier in this thread people were bitching that "both sides equally bad, come on now?" And how Trump's been pushing for people to just start taking Hydroxychloroquine because in his own words, literally, "whats the worst that could happen", despite it being proven to have pretty awful potential side effects?

Major Producer of Hydroxychloroquine Once Paid for Access to Trump

Both sides bad. Remember.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Global bat eradication program seems reasonable. Do bats have a important ecological niche? Probably not.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Both bad but one badder

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

'member how earlier in this thread people were bitching that "both sides equally bad, come on now?" And how Trump's been pushing for people to just start taking Hydroxychloroquine because in his own words, literally, "whats the worst that could happen", despite it being proven to have pretty awful potential side effects?

maybe they're donating 130m pills as penance for giving money to a icky lobbyist

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Big Beef City posted:

It's idiots or assholes. At least the assholes are not idiots, sometimes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NihilismNow posted:

Global bat eradication program seems reasonable. Do bats have a important ecological niche? Probably not.

“Bats are our friends! They eat lots of bugs!” is the stump speech, but right now I’m feeling like taking my chances with the bugs.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cue the worst year on record for mosquoto-borne illness. West Nile virus is what will kill us all in the states this summer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
"We don't really see that bats are eating a lot of mosquitoes," said Tim Carter, associate professor of biology at Ball State University who studies bats. "Sometimes when biologists say things like that, when they're actually saying is 'mosquito-sized insects.'

"Do bats eat some mosquitoes? Absolutely, but it's not a major part of their diet."

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Why are bats so disgusting? Why don't we give them a bath sometimes

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I got back from Target for a couple essentials and maybe 1 in 10 people are wearing masks while they're out and about. I think everyone is still afraid of looking dorkey. I don't care I feel like a ninja, a big fat ninja

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/1247240492288483330

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Stop talking about doing things and start doing things, people.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I built a bunch of bat boxes over the summer for the state park because bats are losing their habitat I’m sorry guys it’s all my fault

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Bats are fine, it's the wily pangolin we have to worry about.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

NihilismNow posted:

They eat bugs but we’re gonna kill all those too.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It was not a good idea for Boris Johnson to wash his face in COVID-19 viral particles and then drink some for all those weeks. Really have no idea what he was trying to prove by doing that

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
whats the pokemon that looks like a pangolin, i bet it's taking a popularity hit

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

I forget what step this was in the herd immunity plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well that sounds like the safest place to be! Better than being in the "No one gives a poo poo" Ward, I'd say! All good here!