Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Set up a zone and draw it over your alcohol stockpile, invert it, and restrict your animals to it. You have to tell them they can't drink alcohol by making sure the alcohol is somewhere they aren't allowed to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jose posted:

how do i get my colonists to drop their tattered gear for the perfectly fine stuff in a stockpile automatically

Change their clothing profile to only allow clothing with 51%-100% durability. (Its 1-100 by default.)

Clothing profiles are under the "Assign" tab in vanilla, same place as food and drug profiles.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jose posted:

how do i stop my dogs and cats being raging alcoholics and how do i get my colonists to drop their tattered gear for the perfectly fine stuff in a stockpile automatically

Zone the booze or get a mod that lets you adjust food restrictions for pets. I haven't found one that sets it for pets by default though so zoning is probably easier than updating every pet by hand.

Colonists swap their gear automatically based on what has better stats. You can force them to dump gear by changing their outfit settings to have a minimum durability threshold, though this could leave them naked if you don't have replacement options for every slot.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Forbid your animals from where your stuff is stored

Set your default outfit to be between 51-100% quality and they will drop the bad stuff, and grab new stuff

You can always micromanage and make them drop anything, and wear specific things

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I decided to start a chicken factory farm and is it just me or do they eat more then they produce? Even with a lot of grazing they just rip through my hay and human kibble

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I decided to start a chicken factory farm and is it just me or do they eat more then they produce? Even with a lot of grazing they just rip through my hay and human kibble

Correct, all animals eat more than they give back. The benefit is 1) eggs can be used as meat, meaning you don't need to hunt to make meat for fine/lavish meals, and 2) they can eat natural growing grass (assuming they're non-carnivores.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Restrict them away from actual food completely unless it's winter or there's toxic fallout or something, they don't prioritize grazing on their own.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well my dedicated cleaner had dementia, a bad back and was also frail so i harvested his kidney for the colonist who'd damaged his with psychite and both lungs for another with asthma. The one with asthma was in the room at the time and had -4 for seeing an ally die and +2 for my rival kazuya is dead

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
In the beginning I keep some chickens around because eggs are less dangerous than throwing rocks/spears at a muffalo and having someone get their face stomped in by a pack of manhunters. In the mid-late game I use chickens (or eventually a nutrient solution unit from androids++) because it's easier to set up the zones, storage points and work orders to mostly-automate itself than micromanaging a hunter pack to take out and butcher a muffalo herd when I would rather pay attention to other stuff.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yeah but you can produce basically infinite vegetative food, and eggs/milk are considered "meat" for producing fine meals. If you think about it, setting up a sun lamp to produce corn or hay only will produce a shitload of milk/eggs which give everyone a mood boost over simple meals, without risk of danger.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got a brawler who I actually want to use in melee. I got lucky and 2 people from the tribe way advanced than me fought each other in my base so I scored a plasma sword from that and I got silver plate armour from a quest. I've just given him 2 bionic legs to get into combat faster but what else does he need?

Is the protect the monument quest i'm doing the reason I've seen no others for a while?

Jose fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 6, 2020

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
A shield belt, 100%. All dedicated melee fighters should have one.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Silver armor is very expensive and flashy but does not have good stats. You should sell it and make him better armor. Plasteel plate mail or the best power armor your tech level allows.

Jose posted:

Is the protect the monument quest i'm doing the reason I've seen no others for a while?

No, just chance. I've had 3 monument quests and a prisoner rescue all running at once.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 6, 2020

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Cease to Hope posted:

Change their clothing profile to only allow clothing with 51%-100% durability. (Its 1-100 by default.)

Clothing profiles are under the "Assign" tab in vanilla, same place as food and drug profiles.

I do this and then set my tailor bench to "do until you have 1" on all major clothing pieces (button-down shirt, pants, and duster for workers), then set my incinerator to burn all clothes from 0-50%. Works great in that your colonists all automatically trade out used clothing for fresh while keeping your stockpiles open. Almost perfectly automates the process.

The same goes for armor, except that should be smelted for material instead of burned.

Taking it a step further with armors, once you have access to deep drills and don't need to worry so much about raw materials, I also set my fabrication benches (at the lowest level) to always "do until you have" at 80 components and 50 advanced components so that they're always being produced. Keeps your crafters from losing skills over time and also makes sure you always have enough of what you need.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I do this and then set my tailor bench to "do until you have 1" on all major clothing pieces (button-down shirt, pants, and duster for workers), then set my incinerator to burn all clothes from 0-50%. Works great in that your colonists all automatically trade out used clothing for fresh while keeping your stockpiles open. Almost perfectly automates the process.

The same goes for armor, except that should be smelted for material instead of burned.

Taking it a step further with armors, once you have access to deep drills and don't need to worry so much about raw materials, I also set my fabrication benches (at the lowest level) to always "do until you have" at 80 components and 50 advanced components so that they're always being produced. Keeps your crafters from losing skills over time and also makes sure you always have enough of what you need.

Yup basically all this.

At times I set my clothing bills to 10, like when a stupidgigantic cloth harvest comes in, or I haul off 3k elephant leather from a pristine ruin.

On that note, all my dudes must be lookin hella fly in all the elephant gear.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Another thing I like to do with fabrication benches is to add multiple "make until you have X" bills. They'll all still turn off when you hit the limit, but if you have multiple bills you can have multiple components in progress and your bench won't sit there useless with an unfinished component on it while one crafter is asleep or whatever. Works well if you divide your pawns into multiple shifts.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Another thing I like to do with fabrication benches is to add multiple "make until you have X" bills. They'll all still turn off when you hit the limit, but if you have multiple bills you can have multiple components in progress and your bench won't sit there useless with an unfinished component on it while one crafter is asleep or whatever. Works well if you divide your pawns into multiple shifts.

Can I recommend No Job Authors
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2009825774&searchtext=no+author

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yo thank you

Always been a pet peeve of mine but i never thought to look into a mod for it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The cults mod has been updated. Time for a new tribal start!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

The cults mod has been updated. Time for a new tribal start!

But I just got my colony where I want it!!!!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

kiss me Pikachu posted:

Right before the Royalty patch I had an early item stash quest guarded by a pack of man hunting chickens. Sent three guys with middling weapons, took out the marauding chickens and went to open the big building in the middle of the map. Directly behind the door was a very angry Allosaurus that bit off two limbs of the door opener and decapitated the next before being brought down. 10/10 would recommend Dinosauria for surprise big chickens

You think that's bad? I downloaded that Monster Hunter Rimworld mod and it bugged out so there was a permanent storm on the map.

So I had hygiene installed too. And I noticed that this one ruin (from real ruins) had working latrines in awful one tile large rooms. We're talking, there's the door, there's a tile to go inside, and there's a latrine to poo poo in. To keep my team from going nuts I proceeded to shelter inside the mostly intact building, redoing everything to be modern since I like my colonies to not be stone little shitshacks.

But then. But then it happened.

One of my colonists went to go to the shitter and opened the door. Out exploded a Kushala Daora from this one tile room, an Elder Dragon sometimes referred to as a god of storms. This massive behemoth about 4x4 tiles large had been chilling in the room, taking increasing angry shits as it rained down increasingly more lightning bolts outside, and slowly but surely going mad with hunger. Guess what happened?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 6, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Let's say someone wanted to do a zombie survival sim. What mods would you throw in the basket to make it as immersive as possible?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Technically you can exploit this by having your unskilled workers do 99% of the work then have your expert finish it to mass produce masterwork pieces, but the drat is the job authoring system annoying sometimes.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

isndl posted:

Technically you can exploit this by having your unskilled workers do 99% of the work then have your expert finish it to mass produce masterwork pieces, but the drat is the job authoring system annoying sometimes.

I could also dev tool myself in most whatever I want, its all about level of :effort: and self control. :shrug:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jose posted:

how do i stop my dogs and cats being raging alcoholics

People mentioned the vanilla method (disallow the stockpile area from animals) but I prefer Drugs are not Food because I like to have fridges with cold beer in them and I hate forgetting to disallow them and all the chickens getting alcohol poisoning.

Technically a slight nerf to beer because it no longer provides a fraction of a percent of nutrition but gently caress it, nobody should be drinking beer for sustenance anyway.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I always have my animals disallowed from most indoor areas anyways, including kitchens and dining rooms and storage. I don't want my muffalos making GBS threads on the dining table, I want them out eating grass. Is it common to just let them filth up the place? I thought everyone did this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
dogs and cats are not dirty animals and people frequently just let them walk wherever. this is especially true with dogs as they can be trained to haul.

but yeah it's really not hard to just have a zone set for the beer storage and assign them to everywhere EXCEPT THAT PLACE, and that's if you don't want to just assign them to inside the base or inside the compound - which i tend to prefer if you're on a map with anything even approximating dangerous wildlife because your domesticated animals WILL get attacked by a cougar otherwise.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I tend to keep the barnyard animals locked in the barn, but the dogs, cats and other small pets can go anywhere in the base to up their nuzzle chances.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Vengarr posted:

People mentioned the vanilla method (disallow the stockpile area from animals) but I prefer Drugs are not Food because I like to have fridges with cold beer in them and I hate forgetting to disallow them and all the chickens getting alcohol poisoning.

Technically a slight nerf to beer because it no longer provides a fraction of a percent of nutrition but gently caress it, nobody should be drinking beer for sustenance anyway.

Wasn't that the point of beer? Basically liquid bread much safer then drinking straight from a random water source

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Roundboy posted:

Wasn't that the point of beer? Basically liquid bread much safer then drinking straight from a random water source

making you drunk was also a pretty big point

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

But I just got my colony where I want it!!!!

I think you probably can add it to an existing save without any ill effects. Might want to back up the save first though.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Roundboy posted:

This is actually a thing with dubs bad hygiene, they'll prefer stuff like coffee, tea, beer, etc before untreated water for drinking.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

making you drunk was also a pretty big point

I don't mean to start a huge derail but I thought beer in the time of 'keep you alive' was pretty low alcohol. Like a breakfast stout 2-3%

But this is now the extent of my knowledge

Back on topic. I'm kind of finding the royal stuff to be annoying. Thinking about starting a new game without it in play, but I forget exactly what else it added

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Uncheck the accept favor box and never look back I guess?

I like most everything that came with it excepting the royal speech. That is annoying as poo poo.

Also for the person asking about zombies, I haven't played with it but I did see what looked like a fairly in depth zombie mod. Night time activity, "hearing" activity, different kinds of zombies like fast/smart/weak ones that call for backup, lumbering boomers that charge at walls etc. It was on my list to try, haven't wanted to take my current set of tribal into crazy land yet. Pheasant just decreed that his dominion has spread out to the entire planet from his orbital space station that was launched but claimed an astronauts life through freezing to death. I thought radiating off heat would be the concern since I saw space radiators and that's how physics works.

The astronaut is well preserved until we can launch a shuttle with some heaters.

isndl
May 2, 2012
If I remember right there's at least one zombie mod that phones home every time you launch with it active, check the fine print if that's something you care about.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ah yes, Rimworld, a single player game that surely needs outbound access.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
He was always up-front with it tbf but that scared me off too.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Roundboy posted:

I'm kind of finding the royal stuff to be annoying. Thinking about starting a new game without it in play, but I forget exactly what else it added

the royal faction, psychic powers, the spacertech melee weapons, all of the researches that are unlocked with research notes (about half of these are new items, the other half are old items that weren't craftable before)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Some of the new implants are awesome as hell. Soon all of my worker bees will have absolutely no need for sleep. :science:

A hellish life of haling poo poo and making space coke 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arrath posted:

Some of the new implants are awesome as hell. Soon all of my worker bees will have absolutely no need for sleep. :science:

-15% consciousness is a huge penalty that makes a pawn worse at everything, including move speed. Plus it means you can't just bomb your dudes in melee with mechanoids with EMP grenades because sleep implants make you vulnerable to EMP.