Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/34951038/hygiene-hand-antimicrobial-brass-edc-door-opener-and-stylus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Good god. I've got this flat ring with a tapering edge on my keychain, basically a rudimentary flathead screwdriver for when a thumbnail won't cut it and you haven't any pocket change. I thought it was clever when I got it at the Home Depot ages ago, but now I just feel kind of dirty.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

That darn virus!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bieeanshee posted:

Good god. I've got this flat ring with a tapering edge on my keychain, basically a rudimentary flathead screwdriver for when a thumbnail won't cut it and you haven't any pocket change. I thought it was clever when I got it at the Home Depot ages ago, but now I just feel kind of dirty.

If it's a useful item you have on you and use without making a fuss about it, it's not an EDC item.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

What are you supposed to do when you run into a door with a standard round doorknob?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Knormal posted:

What are you supposed to do when you run into a door with a standard round doorknob?

Stand there kicking it until some unprotected chump opens it for you.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Knormal posted:

You punch a hole in it with your other edc poo poo and then use the hook in that, duh

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Knormal posted:

I don't want to defend this crap, but how many of those do you see these days? Especially in public areas or businesses? Round doorknobs aren't ADA compliant, so they're not used much these days.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
slapping my dick and ball tool all over grandfather knobs across the country

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Karia posted:

I don't want to defend this crap, but how many of those do you see these days? Especially in public areas or businesses? Round doorknobs aren't ADA compliant, so they're not used much these days.
True, but they're still the default in houses and other non-public areas, at least in my area, and you still run into them in smaller businesses from time to time.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Seems like it would make much more sense to make that thing slightly hook shaped so you could use it to hang things off...things. As well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Perhaps some sort of disposable hand covering made of an impermeable material such as latex

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Perhaps some sort of disposable hand covering made of an impermeable material such as latex

im all for encourage less usage of those

privileges should be revoked for all glove ground disposers

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alan Smithee posted:

im all for encourage less usage of those

privileges should be revoked for all glove ground disposers

Yeah we really need to work on non-disposable gloves made of brass.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Well I'm glad they cleared that up.

No fuckin' way do we need that many keychains.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

World Peace achieved by forcing everyone to carry around 150 keychains.

Bosun's Edge by Oceanus Brass:

Small blade, BIG functionality. The Oceanus Brass Bosun’s Edge is sharp, eye-catching and built to last. We set out to make a timeless utility tool that was both rich in history and classic in design. One that you would want to own and take with you on your day’s journey, either on the open ocean or the daily commute. The result is a solid brass knife that has achieved elegance through function.

Watch them almost cut themself in their Kickstarter gif and then try and imagine using it when it's wet:unsmigghh:
Congrats you reinvented a utility knife with a hobby knife blade and called it a sailing knife

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Apr 7, 2020

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Design philosophy: X-Acto knife, but less useful. Also, that retractable marker is ridiculous but I have to give them credit for actually putting thought into the design. The price isn't outrageous for something with a lot of moving parts made from milled titanium.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have used utility knives in a saline environment. The blades rust overnight.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
This will never be used in any environment but the crafting cave where the buyer carefully sculpts warhammers, so don’t worry.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The fact that there is such a thing as an EDC spinning top tells you everything you need to know

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sweevo posted:

The fact that there is such a thing as an EDC spinning top tells you everything you need to know

They really like Leonardo DiCaprio?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I still can't get over the fact that they're billing the tiny useless bullet screwdriver as waterproof. You know what else is waterproof? A regular goddamn screwdriver.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yay for more kickstarter dowsing rods

that won't even get shipped

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sunswipe posted:

If it's a useful item you have on you and use without making a fuss about it, it's not an EDC item.

EDC are what happen when someone looks at a leatherman multi-tool or swiss army knife and decides "yes but what if we took it apart and made each part terrible while using a bunch of silicon valley techbro buzzwords?" I usually have a knife or multi-tool with me but I use it regularly. Every time I see some EDC poo poo I just pray I'm not near the person when they do something like disembowel themselves with their artisanal toothpick made from aircraft-grade titanium that was folded over a hundred times by certified Japanese swordsmiths or whatever stupid poo poo they're using.

Hub Cat posted:

World Peace achieved by forcing everyone to carry around 150 keychains.

Bosun's Edge by Oceanus Brass:

How the hell is that thing having such a hard time cutting cardboard? :psypop:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I know someone who doesn't understand the basic concept of EDC being something light and portable and, y'know, can carry everyday wherever you go. Instead, his "EDC" is a goddamn entire blue IKEA bag full of stuff that he "might need," even for something as simple as "going to a place to put in a job application."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

my EDC is a shopping cart full of samurai swords

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
We jest, but meanwhile...

I mean, compared to other Covid grifts that are out there (Kush's ventilator scam etc.) this might be one I could somewhat applaud.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah tryhards like kush are actually sourcing ventilators (slowly). This isn't even going to leave the chinese factory, 100% ROI!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It probably will, six months after the $2 cast zinc knockoffs appear on aliexpress.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they'll have to remarket it as a "thumbs up bicep" keyring

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Cable Guy posted:

I mean, compared to other Covid grifts that are out there (Kush's ventilator scam etc.) this might be one I could somewhat applaud.

I saw an ad for these on facebook the other night. Someone knows what they're doing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bieeanshee posted:

I saw an ad for these on facebook the other night. Someone knows what they're doing.

That's how I found the link

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Oh boy he forgot to put the latch on that carabiner!

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
The problem with hankies is having to wash them
Behold; disposable hankies
The problem with disposable hankies is the waste
I got this; https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/finalstraw/finalwipe

Not a KS but I also found the mother load of EDC lanyard ornaments.
https://screwpoptool.com/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cable Guy posted:

Yeah when all is said and done I tip my hat to this guy and the life-changing amount of money he's going to get from this even if he actually makes good and ships the things.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

This rebranding of washcloths is just amazing.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Not a KS but I also found the mother load of EDC lanyard ornaments.
https://screwpoptool.com/
At least some of those could be really useful. I have to use security screwdrivers at work and carrying around the magnetic driver with bit on my keychain would be convenient so I didn't have to run and grab a tool if I get a support call. The wishbone wrench looks like a bike tool.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GWBBQ posted:

At least some of those could be really useful. I have to use security screwdrivers at work and carrying around the magnetic driver with bit on my keychain would be convenient so I didn't have to run and grab a tool if I get a support call. The wishbone wrench looks like a bike tool.

A lot of the 'EDC' is genuinely useful. It's just...tools and stuff. It's just the ridiculous community that goes along with it (seriously go check out EDC Instagram. People endlessly posting photos of the things they have in their pockets. For some of them it's literally the same thing every day), and the daft over engineered poo poo.

I think most of them are harmless, I guess. At least the ones from the UK don't include guns in their 'loadout'.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rapulum_Dei posted:

*BIDET NOT INCLUDED

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

taiyoko posted:

I know someone who doesn't understand the basic concept of EDC being something light and portable and, y'know, can carry everyday wherever you go. Instead, his "EDC" is a goddamn entire blue IKEA bag full of stuff that he "might need," even for something as simple as "going to a place to put in a job application."

That's a purse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's a purse.

I'm sorry but I believe it is in fact a Tactical Man Pack™.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jayyoo/bolstr-the-ultimate-edc-bag-minimal-and-perfectly ( this campaign isn't really bad but the man branding is funny )