Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

something posted:

after some chatting in my 2nd game's discord, it was suggested to make a view of your production as a theoretical gain/loss for each material over time, so you can set up sustaining setups:

I love this and it's made the game a million times more fun for me even in its current state but! Can I have the option to see the g/l over a discrete period rather than a rolling period?

I find it super hard to work out what my current gl impact is with it flitting about a lot.

LeFishy fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've got my Ring of Apathy to 100. Once I'm ready to fight UUG, do I need it equipped or simply in my inventory?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I've got my Ring of Apathy to 100. Once I'm ready to fight UUG, do I need it equipped or simply in my inventory?

Equipped unless you're autokilling, or you're manual-killing but strong enough to do it before he gets his first turn.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

in NGU, is there any point in keeping old, maxed-out equipment sets? e.g. i'm starting work on the flatland equipment set, is there any reason for me to keep the forest and cheese gear?

There are so many items and so many different stages of the game that it is very difficult to have a generalized answer for this.

The easiest way is to visit the gear optimizer, configure it with all the gear and their levels that you have, and run some optimizers for various attributes

Personally i have the following gear sets:
*Max gold
*max hack speed
*semi-max hack speed but max respawn
*max wish speed
*semi-max wish speed but max respawn
*max ngu stats
*max adventure stats
*max quest drops

Up until recently the "oldest" armor piece i used was the chest with a bunch of NGU stats but that one got outperformed by one of the sadistic chests. Right now i have nothing but sadistic armor/weapons (iirc)
When it comes to accessories i have a huge amount from all stages of the game.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
NGU

I'm autokilling it hungers v1 and feeling like it's time to do multi-day rebirths until I can afford another R3 potion, since hacks are one of my only significant growths areas left, and to boost AT, does it make sense to give up on some xp gain for that?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

LeFishy posted:

I love this and it's made the game a million times more fun for me even in its current state but! Can I have the option to see the g/l over a discrete period rather than a rolling period?

I find it super hard to work out what my current gl impact is with it flitting about a lot.

I believe thats what my latest change does - it's examining your building ratio's and telling you in general, what will tend towards gain/loss per second, on average. So tl;dr cyan or white = sustainable over time in general.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Cavernous is modeled after Idle Loops and while very rough I'm having fun with it and made it to 50.7 mana so far.

Three things that aren't the most obvious: W is a toggle with multiple options for changing automatic restart behavior, you can mouse over tiles to figure out what they are (though your character has to have move actions putting them on a tile for detailed info), and stuff you automatically pick up is not bound by the normal laws of physical space (this makes more sense after you use a certain floor feature).

This is an interesting enough game, but unless I'm missing something there really isn't enough automation for me. Like, I can make a macro and my dude can automatically run it, cool. But if I want to do something like, run a set of commands until it fails and then run a different set, I'm not able to.

What I'm saying is there's a lot of busywork switching between which mana rock you're farming, and I'm not a fan.

This did get me playing Idle Loops though, and that's a pretty slick game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Arzaac posted:

This is an interesting enough game, but unless I'm missing something there really isn't enough automation for me. Like, I can make a macro and my dude can automatically run it, cool. But if I want to do something like, run a set of commands until it fails and then run a different set, I'm not able to.

What I'm saying is there's a lot of busywork switching between which mana rock you're farming, and I'm not a fan.

This did get me playing Idle Loops though, and that's a pretty slick game.

Well, on that particular note, my finding was that I got by just fine only farming one rock until it petered out and not touching it again until I had some way to be sure I'd get more than one or two extra fractions of mana. You can try to squeeze every last drop out of the rocks you've found by checking obsessively, but it's not strictly necessary and for a while you're actually better off just trying to explore the cave more if you've mostly tapped out your current resources.

That said, yeah, there's not a way to set that up which sucks, and the busywork feeling is exacerbated by the design having four rocks at the start that you still at minimum are farming twice each. The game is decidedly alpha both by version number and design, but I thought it was worth sharing anyway as something that with polish could turn out really cool.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
How do you beat the goblin?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Cavernous is modeled after Idle Loops and while very rough I'm having fun with it and made it to 50.7 mana so far.

Three things that aren't the most obvious: W is a toggle with multiple options for changing automatic restart behavior, you can mouse over tiles to figure out what they are (though your character has to have move actions putting them on a tile for detailed info), and stuff you automatically pick up is not bound by the normal laws of physical space (this makes more sense after you use a certain floor feature).

At first I thought what the game was missing was a way to copy existing macros. Then I realized I really want a "debug" button that copies the macro into the main line. Then I can edit and/or copy. As it is I keep on making scripts that are way too expansive so it is a real pain to switch things up.

^^2nd bridge, build a sword

extra 2nd bridge in the same general area, but the upper right. Bring 3 iron bars.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

On those notes above the far upper left also has a shield forge which takes 5 iron bars. I got kinda stumped at figuring whether I should try to beat the goblin or try to figure out how to get three clones, though the map may have changed since I last looked at it. The dev indicated elsewhere at an earlier version the goblin was basically the end game, but I don't know how much things have changed since I last played.

I hear you on the expansive script problem, I had trouble with that too. I did better with making scripts to solve basic issues first (i.e. making the first bridge and vaporizing gold), then building the rest of the commands in the main queue with Wait until any completes and pausing so that my clones could coordinate as much as possible where that was better than having them be split up.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

explosivo posted:

I think I'm just about finished with most of the mechanics in Idle Skilling, I'm onto the "Dairy Isle" which is what feels like the last part of the game and are a bit like challenges in NGU (do it again but with less power this time) and the rewards are new perks but.. I'm fairly certain there's nothing left to *do* but chase some of the crazier achievements with those new perks. I'm still going to be playing it because I like the mechanics but it definitely is getting a little old having to re-assign everything after a rebirth and the UI still gives me problems after playing it for a month and a half. It's weird though because I have a whole bar of locked trainer perks and the new perks/potions locked behind the ice cream mechanic and unless a whole new thing opens up that I don't know about and the Wiki doesn't cover (which is entirely possible) I don't know what I'll be using those locked things on other than making numbers go up for no additional gameplay reasons.

Edit: For real though the UI is abysmal. There's menus you can't get to from certain screens because the tab just isn't on that screen, so you have to switch to a different tab for it to show up to go into that menu. There's also a number of screens you can't get out of because you have to go in one further for the exit button to show up. It's just sort of a maze even getting around in the game which is not the best.

I'm at basically the same point of the game. I just completed the 5th ice cream challenge which took about of day of smithing stuff, a fully upgrade battle deck, and legendary equipment with a 2nd necklace.

There doesn't appear to be anything else to the game but your numbers do go up much higher than before. All the icecream unlocks are extremely powerful.

And yes the UI is loving awful.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shwqa posted:

I'm at basically the same point of the game. I just completed the 5th ice cream challenge which took about of day of smithing stuff, a fully upgrade battle deck, and legendary equipment with a 2nd necklace.

There doesn't appear to be anything else to the game but your numbers do go up much higher than before. All the icecream unlocks are extremely powerful.

And yes the UI is loving awful.

It's a bummer too because I only have about half of the pets discovered, half of the training perks still locked because I haven't gotten enough levels to open them up after unlocking with AP, spelunking is *there* but doesn't feel like it's doing much either.. Like I have a bunch of stuff to see yet but if there's no reason to keep pursuing a goal other than number go up I dunno how long I'll be keeping up with it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

explosivo posted:

It's a bummer too because I only have about half of the pets discovered, half of the training perks still locked because I haven't gotten enough levels to open them up after unlocking with AP, spelunking is *there* but doesn't feel like it's doing much either.. Like I have a bunch of stuff to see yet but if there's no reason to keep pursuing a goal other than number go up I dunno how long I'll be keeping up with it.

Yeah I literally just unlocked pet 20. They have been just merely okay for me the entire time.

I'm starting to get to the point where spelunking being useful. It took me like weeks to figure but you access the new potions in the alchemy by press the gray half circle. Those potions are pretty good. And the blacksmith upgrades are permanent through rebirths so that is handy.

Right now I'm mostly chasing mastery points and ice creams but I don't think that is gonna last long.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I could use a nudge on cavernous, i'm on 19.9 mana and able to make a bridge using both clones in sync but I can't reach either of the visible mana squares afterwards. I'm only a second or two off - do i just need to grind skill? Feels like it'll be a long time to get there

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Also the vaporiser does it do anything except give magic XP? I seem to get a million times more just by trying to use the closest magic spring instead

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

xiw posted:

Also the vaporiser does it do anything except give magic XP? I seem to get a million times more just by trying to use the closest magic spring instead
Vaporizing gold gives you five mana. Generally pretty inefficient, yeah.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

crime weed posted:

Vaporizing gold gives you five mana. Generally pretty inefficient, yeah.

One gold nugget is inefficient, and doubly so if you are trying to use both clones together for collection and vaporizing, but if you instead time the second clone so that the one clone is getting 3 gold while the other works its way to the vaporizer (and they aren't too far out of sync afterwards to work together on mana collection), you can get more time to farm the starter mana rocks than you would just by heading straight for them. It definitely gives more time to use a bridge and cross over to the other side.

e: if it's just not coming together, these scripts should show what is possible. UDLRS = Up/Down/Left/Right/Space, #1 = RRDRRRRUUDRRUUUDRLDDRRRLLLDSSRS, #2 = RRDRRRRLLLLDDDRRRRSSSLLLLUUURRRRURRRRRLLLDSSRS

e: Also of note, you can edit saved scripts now! You still edit only from the end of the script, which is not great, but you can edit them like you would the main queue by clicking on the the script's symbols list.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 3, 2020

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’ve just started playing idle loops and I like the idea of it.

What tips does anyone have for Beginnersville? I’ve unlocked the dungeon, but should I be trying to complete it as many times as possible or should I be trying to max my observation and discussions? I’ve maxed available pots and locks.

Seems like I need to smash all the pots first, then buy mana - but what should I do next?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The loot from dungeons is what you want to progress, if I remember right Stopsign (the dev) stopped working on it because he felt they made progress too fast and nerfed them a few times while the player base wanted them faster and he realized his vision wasn't fun and he didn't find it fun to make what players wanted so he wrapped it up and left it. Another dev picked it up (you can import your save) and I'm not sure how that project went but I know it was supposed to be a pretty good continuation at least a few months into the new dev. Pretty sure the mod it's still in Stopsign's discord which is linked from within idleloops. If you are already on the mod / continuation yeah dungeons are a power spike. You may have to train your stats a bit before they really pay off.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011
The dungeons will help raise your stats but the story goal is to buy the supplies and continue on. Pots and lock picking are efficient ways to get mana. Long Quests aren't.

I always found the game way too slow personally. But you can open the console and set gameSpeed to whatever you want. ;)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Idle Loops by Omsi6. I'd thought it'd been dropped too, but it got an update last month (after nearly a year of nothing). No idea if further development is happening though.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Lufia posted:

The dungeons will help raise your stats but the story goal is to buy the supplies and continue on. Pots and lock picking are efficient ways to get mana. Long Quests aren't.

I always found the game way too slow personally. But you can open the console and set gameSpeed to whatever you want. ;)

I cant get that to work in Chrome, is it F12? Where should I be looking?

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Oodles posted:

I cant get that to work in Chrome, is it F12? Where should I be looking?
Yeah, F12 and then the console tab. Literally just type gameSpeed = 5 (or whatever number) and the game speed is multiplied. Works for me on chrome with both versions of the game.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

NGU patch dropped with more accessories added to previous zones. Anyone have any luck finding which zones? The new items got added to the end of the Item List, so it's not possible to scope the zones by noting where they were slotted, had they been added to their zone's item listings in the Item List.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
every zone from forest => end of evil

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
Something I love you and thanks for the update but drat that accessory slot is expensive and whyyyyyyyy do the new acc drops go from every mob to like every hour at bdw 😞

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

wrong thread

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Did you forget to remove the sale text when clicking away from store page 4?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

something posted:

every zone from forest => end of evil

Whoa, neat! Thanks for the confirmation!

e.: Man, that transition from guaranteed drops to % drop chance per mob that happens between Beardverse and BDW sure is noticeable in retrospect and with maxed Drop Chance, yikes.

e.2: Oh wow some of these new accessories are bonkers good!

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 6, 2020

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Do I understand beards correctly in NGU? My understanding is that active beards soak up a percentage of the excess Energy/Magic generated by your Speed/Bars when you're at cap, modified by Power and divided among active beards if you have multiple active beards on the same resource. All beards that have been active during a given run give you the bonuses you've earned thus run, plus their permanent bonuses. Then when you rebirth, your active beards add their levels to that beard's permanent bonus and any levels gained on inactive beards are lost.

Is that right?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Pope Guilty posted:

Do I understand beards correctly in NGU? My understanding is that active beards soak up a percentage of the excess Energy/Magic generated by your Speed/Bars when you're at cap, modified by Power and divided among active beards if you have multiple active beards on the same resource. All beards that have been active during a given run give you the bonuses you've earned thus run, plus their permanent bonuses. Then when you rebirth, your active beards add their levels to that beard's permanent bonus and any levels gained on inactive beards are lost.

Is that right?

You've got the gist, correct. Once you have all the beard slots and the last beard unlocked it becomes a tab you never really click on anymore.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
Yes there’s a little strategy with beards at first but later on they, along with macguffins, are mainly just a way to make all your numbers go up slightly each rebirth.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

KazigluBey posted:

Whoa, neat! Thanks for the confirmation!

e.: Man, that transition from guaranteed drops to % drop chance per mob that happens between Beardverse and BDW sure is noticeable in retrospect and with maxed Drop Chance, yikes.

Yeah, oof. man, they get real good real quick in BDW tho!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Don't neglect beard slots as you make the run-up towards Evil, they're one of the few features that keep going full blast when everything else grinds to a halt. I'm grinding towards the Greasy Nerd with five slots, and I'm eyeing the last two.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Don't neglect beard slots as you make the run-up towards Evil, they're one of the few features that keep going full blast when everything else grinds to a halt. I'm grinding towards the Greasy Nerd with five slots, and I'm eyeing the last two.

Nerd was where I got my last beard slots, it's a good timeframe to aim for IMO.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

NGU. ive gone back to normal and knocking out the challenges.

>< 2 min rebirths are too slow :)

I think i have 5 more no ngu's and then back to evil.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

NGU. ive gone back to normal and knocking out the challenges.

>< 2 min rebirths are too slow :)

I think i have 5 more no ngu's and then back to evil.

Now imagine doing this but there's 50 normal challenges

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Some of the new accessories don't have any P/T stats. I don't know if that's intentional or not, but the only accessories without stats I can think of are real oddballs like Triple Flubber and Sands of Time.

Also, Edgy Magicite Crystal has a typo: "It identical"

Francis fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

something i just want to give you a big shout-out for making it so that resources now unallocate from wishes completed offline.