Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

teacup posted:

Isn’t his girlfriend pregnant?

I’ve said this in the Aussie thread as well but the death cheerleading is gross.

His Wikipedia article lists his number of children as "5 or 6".

I know its The Sun, and its a rag, but the article is still up and he's notoriously litigious:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/71984...ecretarys-wake/

One of his exes said: "“Any sensible girl should stay away from him. You’ll get the cheery persistence, then the conquest, but when he’s bored he won’t care about you in the slightest."

Also, that article was made in 2018, and his latest girlfriend/fiancé was known to exist, but they hadn't pinpointed who she was yet, only that he was yet again cheating on his wife at the time.

I'm glad that you care for his unborn child, and the fiancé. But he certainly never did.

He did care for one of the women he was having an affair with, once. In the sense he essentially stole public money to pay her off.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/23/boris-johnson-repeatedly-declines-to-comment-on-claims-he-awarded-public-funds-to-friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The way everyone is talking about him on the news its totally like he's died already

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Skarsnik posted:

The way everyone is talking about him on the news its totally like he's died already

If Kirky says so, it has to be true...

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Big wet daddy dementia is going to save him.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1247278859554349058

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Disgusting Coward posted:

That's the thing that keeps striking me as of late. I know "Just A Flu Bro" is an eye rolling meme at this stage, but it basically kinda is. It's a slightly pepped up flu. It's the cold, with muscles. A disease that the majority of folks might not even notice they've contracted. Yet it's become this world-threatening, society buckling motherfucker purely because everything's been run so shoddy and cheap for so long. We can't test people because the tests are shoddily-made poo poo. We can't handle all the sick people because the NHS has been slashed to the bone. Doctors and nurses gonna start croaking because eh fuckit why would we need PPE. We can't hunker down because we gotta send folks out to make Number Go Up, and their jobs still require hella manpower because eh fuckit automation's expensive. It's going to gently caress up people who, by rights, should shake it off because public health is a luxury society never bothered investing in, and looking after yourself is only for wealthy folks. We didn't get on top of the Bojo Buggerer 4 months ago because eh, don't wanna offend the Chinese money or harm the tourist trade. We don't have a vaccine because the research didn't seem profitable so nobody bothered their arse. There's no slack or resilience in anything, because that would require expenditure and effort. Clap for the NHS tho! Pray for Bojo! Look, here's the Queen to make reassuring noises!

It's all just bloody ridiculous. I think I might go vandalise a Wetherspoon's.
To be fair, the reason it's really loving the NHS isn't the 1-2% who die from it, it's the 10-20% who need to be hospitalised. That's way worse than a pepped-up flu. Also vaccines specifically take 12-18 months minimum because a) they're hard to make, b) you have to grow them and that takes time, and c) they need really thorough testing because if the vaccine makes 1% of people go blind and you give it to the whole population then welp.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 6, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tarnop posted:

How do the "you've no spine if you quit Labour now" lot feel about illustrious leader appointing a TERF to the NEC? Trans folk and allies just need to grow a backbone or no?

I think if trans people no longer feel safe in that party that's really sad, and more than enough reason for them to quit.

Trans allies, I wonder what they think is going to be achieved by giving up their vote for the other positions on the NEC, or for the next leader, and basically abandoning the field entirely. You can argue quitting in protest helps support trans rights, but I think at the stage we're at we need people present and fighting for them instead.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

He's essentially calling the caretakers of a head of state to shill his miracle cure, isn't he?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think we can conclusively call the claim I saw on youtube, that cocaine use prevents coronavirus, busted.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't want to go to sleep. I wish there was a service I could subscribe to that'd call my mobile if he dies.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I will literally never stop laughing if trump manages to get Boris pumped full of that malaria drug

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Azza Bamboo posted:

I don't want to go to sleep. I wish there was a service I could subscribe to that'd call my mobile if he dies.

You can always set breaking news updates through app like the Guardian and just make your ringtone really loud

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I wonder if this means Trump has been briefed specifically about this, and knows it's urgent. He always barfs up state secrets after a briefing, it's kind of a tell at this point

fingers crossed!!!

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
If he was dead it would've been leaked out to the press by someone other than Kirky

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

XMNN posted:

I will literally never stop laughing if trump manages to get Boris pumped full of that malaria drug

It is certainly possible.

Just as possible is the image in my head of a crew of doctors, frantically working to keep Boris alive, suddenly all have their cellphones go off and a very excited man on the other end shouting "HEY I GOT YOU ALL A GREAT DEAL, LISTEN!" and they all as one toss their phones out a nearby window.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chuka Umana posted:

If he was dead it would've been leaked out to the press by someone other than Kirky

Where's Gibbo when you need him?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Azza Bamboo posted:

PM me your number, i'm up all night at work and i'll text you once he bites it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This is hell timeline. Trump will force them to use that malaria medicine and it actually appears to work. Boris completely recovers.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Continuity RCP posted:

Can't wait for Britain to be first across the finish line, easily claiming the prize for first dead head of government. Britain still leading the world

The Queen must basically think she's invincible now.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They're going to make the queen do a "Boris is really poorly" speech aren't they?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

I think if trans people no longer feel safe in that party that's really sad, and more than enough reason for them to quit.

Trans allies, I wonder what they think is going to be achieved by giving up their vote for the other positions on the NEC, or for the next leader, and basically abandoning the field entirely. You can argue quitting in protest helps support trans rights, but I think at the stage we're at we need people present and fighting for them instead.
It does make me wonder what the percentages look like compared to the other major parties and general society. It wouldn't surprise me if Labour was both better than Tories and Lib Dems and the general news pop but also a bit poo poo.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

jabby posted:

Britain is going to be a Monarchy again by the end of the month. Coronavirus is scared of the Queen and she's going to take charge.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Gatts posted:

Britain is going to be a Monarchy again by the end of the month. Coronavirus is scared of the Queen and she's going to take charge.

We are a monarchy

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

jabby posted:

There is no evidence that Lizards are suceptible to Covid19

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Continuity RCP posted:

We are a monarchy

I mean, not really.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Continuity RCP posted:

We are a monarchy

Wait...like...OH YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. *harumph*

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Gatts posted:

We're a constitutional monarchy

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

jabby posted:

Everyone has their own line though, right? At some point a group stops being something that you think can be changed into one worth supporting. For example, you presumably wouldn't advocate to join the Conservative party in order to fight for change from within.

Let's say I look at the vote breakdown for leader and decide that it's pretty strong evidence that the membership collectively cannot stomach the idea of a woman in charge. Or I look at the deputy vote and realise that they definitely don't want a person of colour anywhere near the leadership. At what point does it become acceptable to the party membership police for me to say "this party no longer represents me or the people I care for"?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
this is from the mail, so im not gonna link it:

he's potentially killed himself because he didn't take this seriously until he literally was gasping for breath

quote:

It had been against all Boris's natural instincts to bow to coronavirus: Come what may he wanted to battle through.

To start, he had ignored all the evidence: The cough that wouldn't clear up and the temperature that did not go down.

But the moment when he recognised that common sense had to take precedence over bloody-mindedness – lest he risk compromising his long-term health – came perilously late.

Reluctantly, and on doctors' advice delivered remotely, he agreed to admit himself to hospital. For a Prime Minister who models himself on the stoic heroism of Winston Churchill, it also meant a moment of brutal introspection.

As with the old phrase, however willing the spirit, the flesh was weak. Just how ill is our Prime Minister? Bulletins from officials insisted his stay in hospital is a mere 'precautionary step'.

------------------------------------

Mr Johnson had been intimately involved in the planning of the Queen's speech to the country, an event he felt vital to national morale.

The last thing he wanted was for his personal situation to overshadow the vital importance Her Majesty would have in only the fifth such broadcast of her reign.

This, then, was the background to the moment when the Prime Minister's coronavirus diagnosis became more serious.

Certainly, we understand, his fellow ministers were concerned enough about his appearance to raise it themselves. He was urged to seek fresh medical advice, but he ploughed on insisting it was only a minor temperature and that there was too much work to be done.

After the Cabinet meeting broke up on Sunday morning, Mr Johnson returned to the Downing Street flat. He continued to take calls and worked on official papers in his Government red boxes.

He went for a walk in the Downing Street garden. But with his health seemingly getting worse by the hour, he was coughing and finding breathing more difficult, he backed down and agreed to speak to his GP if he hadn't improved after a siesta of an hour or two.

When there was no improvement, he spoke by video conference link to the doctor, who saw that the PM was markedly worse than when they had spoken midweek.

Mr Johnson, who by his own admission had ignored the physician's advice to take maximum rest, was finding it more difficult to breathe.

Uppermost in the doctor's mind was that the Prime Minister has suffered in the past from pneumonia-type symptoms – though there is no suggestion he has this condition now.

A second source said: 'Do not underestimate the macho nature of the Westminster political Establishment. Boris will not have wanted to look weak.' When the PM ended his call to his doctor, his mind was made up.

The GP had effectively ordered him to go to hospital or run a real risk to his health. After a minor argument with his officials, he agreed to go.

An overnight bag was packed and Mr Johnson was driven the short journey to St Thomas', accompanied by his bodyguards.

As one of our sources said: 'It's been admirable the way he's wanted to carry on with the job, leading from the front, and making sure he is on top of every decision. But in the end he's not done his health any good. He has to give in to the virus and rest.'

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The only thing I hope is that when Johnson's bloated rotting carcass finally croaks, his putrified remains don't infect any doctors or nurses or cleaners or any hospital staff or other patients i.e the people who actually matter.

I do find it pathetic people pull the :decorum: card the second one of these evil fuckers either dies, or is close to death - being dead or dying doesn't make all the twisted poo poo they've done in life, and all the misery, deaths, and needless cruelty they've inflicted on others suddenly not matter.

It'll be hilarious if after a lifetime of chasing his dream of being Prime Minister, he dies due to his complete lack of fucks given about a pandemic, because he thought it would only impact people he considered lesser.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

quote:

"He has to give in to the virus and rest."

harsh but fair from the Daily Mail

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lambert posted:

I mean, not really.

Okay

I wonder who will be the next appointed head of Her Majesty's Government.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think the Lib Dems could well position themselves as the party of turbo trans rights, particularly as this is a wedge issue for Labour that they could drive. The Tories can comfortably say or do gently caress all on the issue and not lose any political capital, so why not? That puts Labour under the heat here. It's a wedge issue for the party's politicians as well as members and voters. I think it's morally the wrong policy, but I won't be surprised if they go for wanting to change the GRA to bring things closer to self identification and away from medicalisation, but doing so with some kind of gesture toward segregating shelters by birth designation. Given that this is the likely outcome, I can absolutely understand if there's a Trexodus should something like this get announced.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 6, 2020

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just so you're all aware as well, his death will be a casus belli for the NHS to be sold off and fully privatised. It will be held up as somehow having literally killed the head of the country by being so inept, inefficient and badly run by the NHS trusts.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

Just so you're all aware as well, his death will be a casus belli for the NHS to be sold off and fully privatised. It will be held up as somehow having literally killed the head of the country by being so inept, inefficient and badly run by the NHS trusts.

no it won't

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Continuity RCP posted:

Okay

I wonder who will be the next appointed head of Her Majesty's Government.

Parliament has all the power, it's the sovereign. The monarchy part exists for ceremonial reasons, it doesn't have any actual power.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Tarnop posted:

Everyone has their own line though, right? At some point a group stops being something that you think can be changed into one worth supporting. For example, you presumably wouldn't advocate to join the Conservative party in order to fight for change from within.

Let's say I look at the vote breakdown for leader and decide that it's pretty strong evidence that the membership collectively cannot stomach the idea of a woman in charge. Or I look at the deputy vote and realise that they definitely don't want a person of colour anywhere near the leadership. At what point does it become acceptable to the party membership police for me to say "this party no longer represents me or the people I care for"?

I think your argument is a good one, but who are they going to support if not Labour, though? You're not likely to get more social justice from the Lib Dems and the Tories certainly aren't a safe haven either. You might as well stay in the political party most likely to lead to positive change otherwise you lose all influence.

Bardeh posted:

this is from the mail, so im not gonna link it:

he's potentially killed himself because he didn't take this seriously until he literally was gasping for breath

Assuming this is true and not just some puff piece to create a hardworking martyr narrative, it's striking how much little he trusts his subordinates. I don't think anyone in the country would give a proverbial if he went on sick leave for a few days and handed over the reigns to his deputy - it's what the rest of us do. But he's terrified of leaving them in charge.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tarnop posted:

Whenever you want to. No-one is making you stay, obviously lots of people would prefer if you did, and if you want to leave that's fine. But I think it ignores a lot of people who are trying to do their best. The problem being of course is that we can't know what effect our action or inaction can have until we take it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If Boris Jonson dies, Brexit gets canceled, right?

Britain has still quite a year before it. Remember how everyone said that one year of negotiation will never be enough to make that reasonable. I think those negotiations have been a bit less efficient lately.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Oh, my mistake here was me thinking that the tories have been pushing for that for 10 years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Telegraph is working on it already.