Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Prince John posted:

Assuming this is true and not just some puff piece to create a hardworking martyr narrative, it's striking how much little he trusts his subordinates. I don't think anyone in the country would give a proverbial if he went on sick leave for a few days and handed over the reigns to his deputy - it's what the rest of us do. But he's terrified of leaving them in charge.

He's spent his entire life wanting to be Prime Minister, for no reason other than that he wants to be Prime Minister.
He's not going to hand over the reins to someone for a few days just because he's a bit unwell.

Hoist by his own

[edit]
78 is the atomic number for Platinum, compounds containing which can be used in chemotherapy, making the chemical infinitely more useful than Boris Johnson

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cant cook creole bream posted:

If Boris Jonson dies, Brexit gets canceled, right?

The bus must choose a new driver.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

Everyone has their own line though, right? At some point a group stops being something that you think can be changed into one worth supporting. For example, you presumably wouldn't advocate to join the Conservative party in order to fight for change from within.

Let's say I look at the vote breakdown for leader and decide that it's pretty strong evidence that the membership collectively cannot stomach the idea of a woman in charge. Or I look at the deputy vote and realise that they definitely don't want a person of colour anywhere near the leadership. At what point does it become acceptable to the party membership police for me to say "this party no longer represents me or the people I care for"?

The conservative party literally has no mechanism for membership input on policy, and even if it did it is fundamentally antithetical to that cause.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to suggest that because labour has gotten worse due to internal elections going badly, that means you should... stop participating in the elections in the future?

Like what's the end result? Labour is either a desirable result or a threat, and in neither case does not engaging with it help? You can do whatever you want, you're a free person, but what good does a party utterly devoid of anyone willing to fight for what you want, do you? You can't kill labour by leaving it, unfortunately.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 6, 2020

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bardeh posted:

this is from the mail, so im not gonna link it:

he's potentially killed himself because he didn't take this seriously until he literally was gasping for breath

And The Mail of course manages to write that as a puff-piece.

He was just so invested in making sure the Queen's speech went down ok, guys!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Necrothatcher posted:

harsh but fair from the Daily Mail

Necrothatcher as a name is still eternally great, but I'm looking forward to it becoming "NecroBojo" - even just for a few days.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

Assuming this is true and not just some puff piece to create a hardworking martyr narrative, it's striking how much little he trusts his subordinates. I don't think anyone in the country would give a proverbial if he went on sick leave for a few days and handed over the reigns to his deputy - it's what the rest of us do. But he's terrified of leaving them in charge.

these are Tory MPs we're talking about here, one of them probably wiped their covid snot on their hand before shaking hands with him. I guarantee that there are more than a few of them currently licking their lips about a potential cabinet reshuffle if he croaks it

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Azza Bamboo posted:

I think the Lib Dems could well position themselves as the party of turbo trans rights, particularly as this is a wedge issue for Labour that they could drive. The Tories can comfortably say or do gently caress all on the issue and not lose any political capital, so why not? That puts Labour under the heat here. It's a wedge issue for the party's politicians as well as members and voters. I think it's morally the wrong policy, but I won't be surprised if they go for wanting to change the GRA to bring things closer to self identification and away from medicalisation, but doing so with some kind of gesture toward segregating shelters by birth designation. Given that this is the likely outcome, I can absolutely understand if there's a Trexodus should something like this get announced.

Oh my goodness me my friend where have you been. The lib-dems are going to be a lot worse for this sort of thing for the simple reason that a lot of the more "out and out" Terf folks are so strongly remainer. The kind of middle class "wine mum" who just wants to get on with things and "doesn't understand why the Trans Lobby has so much influence" is going to be Lib-dem till the end of days.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

If Boris Jonson dies, Brexit gets canceled, right?

Britain has still quite a year before it. Remember how everyone said that one year of negotiation will never be enough to make that reasonable. I think those negotiations have been a bit less efficient lately.

Absolutely not. If anything, it makes turbo suicide no deal more likely, since while Boris couldn't really give a gently caress about Brexit beyond optics, all of his potential successors are lunatic true believers.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Chuka Umana posted:

Hearing word that Lord Mountbatten is now being considered for acting PM

Explosive story.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chinese Gordon posted:

Absolutely not. If anything, it makes turbo suicide no deal more likely, since while Boris couldn't really give a gently caress about Brexit beyond optics, all of his potential successors are lunatic true believers.

Yeah, I know. Will be an interesting time.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

Boris Johnson has 5 or 6 children, and I hope they all go blind.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gravastars posted:

What? Why?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

paternal blond hair flopping in their eyes

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/phlespp/status/1247260125758468101
:lol: :devil:

[e]: My grandfather sadly passed away on saturday. He did no-one any harm, and did his best to help everyone, even though he was not always in the best of health. Because of the hospital quarantines we were unable to spend his final hours with him, even though the nurses and doctors passed on our messages and did everything they absolutely could to make him comfortable.

There can be no cosmic justice, if Johnson - a man who has never done a decent thing in his entire life, used and tossed people aside - doesn't choke on his own piss.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 6, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"I'm not a tory but..." is the same energy as "I'm not racist but..." change my mind

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Chinese Gordon posted:

I'm also a bit worried that any replacement PM will be worse. Say what you like about Bojo, but he does want to be liked by the country, which may well translate into some cash heading towards key workers after this is over. I'd rather have BoJo as PM than Gove, or IDS.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

"I'm not a tory but..." is the same energy as "I'm not racist but..." change my mind

They're called "synonyms".

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Josef bugman posted:

Whenever you want to. No-one is making you stay, obviously lots of people would prefer if you did, and if you want to leave that's fine. But I think it ignores a lot of people who are trying to do their best. The problem being of course is that we can't know what effect our action or inaction can have until we take it.

There's no decision that doesn't let someone down, abandon someone or implicitly dismiss someone's fears. And staying through giving in to inertia is still a decision.

Wasn't expecting to have such an ethical crisis over this tbh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

There's no decision that doesn't let someone down, abandon someone or implicitly dismiss someone's fears. And staying through giving in to inertia is still a decision.

I find it helps if you don't view it as an identity, labour membership is a tool, you can use it without it defining who you are. Your cause is far bigger and far older than the party you use.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Josef bugman posted:

Oh my goodness me my friend where have you been. The lib-dems are going to be a lot worse for this sort of thing for the simple reason that a lot of the more "out and out" Terf folks are so strongly remainer. The kind of middle class "wine mum" who just wants to get on with things and "doesn't understand why the Trans Lobby has so much influence" is going to be Lib-dem till the end of days.

They might be Lib Dem until the end of days, but the party has historically been ahead of Labour on trans rights promises. They went into the last election saying that the spousal veto should be abolished and that those who have had their marriages annulled should be able to reinstate them. If their base is TERFs, their base either doesn't know or care what the party has been fighting for. Maybe there's some truth in characterising them as wine mums?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
As much as I'm not going to shed a tear if he does peg it, I also don't want Boris to die, the same as I don't want anyone to die of this thing. There's also the matter of the array of ghouls and freaks lined up behind him to take over.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bardeh posted:

As much as I'm not going to shed a tear if he does peg it, I also don't want Boris to die, the same as I don't want anyone to die of this thing. There's also the matter of the array of ghouls and freaks lined up behind him to take over.

If there was a way this could kill his public career without killing him as a human being, I'd be down for that, but there isn't so I think we'll just have to make the best of what comes.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

I find it helps if you don't view it as an identity, labour membership is a tool, you can use it without it defining who you are. Your cause is far bigger and far older than the party you use.

This helps a lot actually.

While I'm here, I want to apologise for taking the way I've been feeling out on Azza Bamboo the other day. Azza, disagreeing with your vote was not justification for me to be (as twisto put it) a oval office to you, and lash out with a lot of bad feeling I've been bottling up. Hope you can forgive, but I'd understand if not.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gravastars posted:

It's a Stewart Lee bit that I can't quite recall, something to do with Gordon Brown. It's just a joke, like on Top Gear.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chuka Umana posted:

Hearing word that Lord Mountbatten is now being considered for acting PM

Did a sad lol at this reference.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

They might be Lib Dem until the end of days, but the party has historically been ahead of Labour on trans rights promises. They went into the last election saying that the spousal veto should be abolished and that those who have had their marriages annulled should be able to reinstate them. If their base is TERFs, their base either doesn't know or care what the party has been fighting for. Maybe there's some truth in characterising them as wine mums?

Promises, but not results or anything close. Plus their entire LGBT section quit not too long ago, I think it was caused by Tim Farron being an active homophobe again.

Tarnop posted:

That's life I am afraid. There are no right answers, just knowing that there are ways for people to critisise every choice you've ever made or not made. The test is to work out which ones are important to you. But even those we can't tell.

"The people who built this world for us intended it to be better, but they failed." So we have to live with it. Every day.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
yeah but on the other hand it’s pretty funny

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Also, that article was made in 2018, and his latest girlfriend/fiancé was known to exist, but they hadn't pinpointed who she was yet, only that he was yet again cheating on his wife at the time.

Well at least one journalist knew *exactly* who it was.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think most of your anger comes from a good place, and to some extent I like being in a place that won't say exactly what I think. Also I was dead wrong on the severity of coronavirus, or the morality of dismissing the lives of "a couple of grannies", which I know was something that stuck in your mind. The only reason I don't forgive you is that, although I felt a bit unwelcome for a time, I never really thought you did anything wrong. You were already in the clear.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
While this is still relevant:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Party Boat posted:

Lol no private hospitals are all about elective surgeries and are poo poo at actual life saving stuff, they punt you to the NHS for that

Ex boyfriend of mine in the mists of time was Senior Charge Nurse in a private London hospital on permanent nights. He did 7 nights on, 7 off, 13-14 hour shifts by the time they had done handovers, alternating with another SCN. There should have been 3 of them on rotation but the hospital was skimping on salaries.
And when he was off, they would often call him in during the day to cover absences.
At nights and weekends, the SCN were the most senior people in the hospital. If a situation arose, they had to decide whether to call in the Consultants from their luxury mansions in the Home Counties, and god help if the Consultant turned up and decided it was an unnecessary call.
Anything 'emergency' happened, straight to A&E at the nearest NHS hospital.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Azza Bamboo posted:

I think most of your anger comes from a good place, and to some extent I like being in a place that won't say exactly what I think. Also I was dead wrong on the severity of coronavirus, or the morality of dismissing the lives of "a couple of grannies", which I know was something that stuck in your mind. The only reason I don't forgive you is that, although I felt a bit unwelcome for a time, I never really thought you did anything wrong. You were already in the clear.

:glomp:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angepain posted:

i don't want boris to die for the sole reason that the daily mail or whatever will find a person on twitter making a joke about it and track them down to their house and print seven pages a day about it for two weeks and drag them into a public square where all members of the public must make a public statement denouncing this behaviour and throw an egg at them or go to jail

I saw a tweet about that earlier, can't remember who by, along the lines of "be careful what you tweet tonight in case the right come after you and doxx you".

Pistol_Pete posted:

Personally, I'd love to see supermarket staff politely but vigorously enforcing keeping the aisles clear and traffic moving along purposefully becoming a permanent thing. Stopping in a chokepoint to stare blankly into space for ten minutes? Blam! £30 fine!

And check out assistants who want to be best friends with everyone passing through and spend hours chatting to Mrs Miggins about Bert's lumbago when your frozen veg is all defrosting in the basket.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1240967372225249280

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1247252373564727301

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Prince John posted:

I'm also a bit worried that any replacement PM will be worse. Say what you like about Bojo, but he does want to be liked by the country, which may well translate into some cash heading towards key workers after this is over. I'd rather have BoJo as PM than Gove, or IDS.

Gove will at least be in favour of doing something to protect the environment to maximise the population offered up to the Old Ones

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Josef bugman posted:

Promises, but not results or anything close. Plus their entire LGBT section quit not too long ago, I think it was caused by Tim Farron being an active homophobe again.

That's a fair point. Admittedly my opinions on Lib Dems and trans issues might be skewed: my main source on the goings on of the Lib Dem party is a transwoman Lib Dem member who I sometimes ride motorbikes with, so I am prone to get the most favorable interpretation of things.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Josef bugman posted:

It was them accepting the defection of Philip Lee IIRC

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

That's a fair point. Admittedly my opinions on Lib Dems and trans issues might be skewed: my main source on the goings on of the Lib Dem party is a transwoman Lib Dem member who I sometimes ride motorbikes with, so I am prone to get the most favorable interpretation of things.

I didn't know you knew tintower or that she rode motorbikes.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

DryGoods posted:

Eric and Don Jr dropping off a soggy cardboard box labeled SERUM-X at the british embassy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Bardeh posted:

this is from the mail, so im not gonna link it:

he's potentially killed himself because he didn't take this seriously until he literally was gasping for breath

Not potentially. If he does/is dead then this is death by misadventure. Like literally if he dies there are only two possible explanations; death by misadventure or suicide. Because it was pearly his own deliberate actions that led to him being infected so literally the only logical conclusions are either he was too stupid to properly parse the danger and this is death by misadventure, or he was aware of the danger and deliberately tried to kill himself via disease. Which I have to say isn’t a method of suicide I’ve ever heard of someone employing before.