Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Final Fantasy VII: Relapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Endorph posted:

And like, if you want FF7 again, I have a game for you. It's called FF7.

the story changes are cool as poo poo and I agree with this. the only ballsy as gently caress/borderline questionable move here is squenix advertising it as a straight remake til their final release trailer or whatever

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It feels like this game's ending is writing story beat checks the next episodes won’t be able to cash

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Either that or yeah this is the new kingdom hearts by which there'll be countless spinoffs and mobile games that don’t advance the story at all and only murky the waters and it takes like 10 years for the proper sequel to come out

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Final Fantasy VII: Relapse

Rememorized
Remorse
Rediculous

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Calaveron posted:

It feels like this game's ending is writing story beat checks the next episodes won’t be able to cash

Ooorr... it could be the perfect excuse to compress the story and render fewer assets.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Calaveron posted:

Either that or yeah this is the new kingdom hearts by which there'll be countless spinoffs and mobile games that don’t advance the story at all and only murky the waters and it takes like 10 years for the proper sequel to come out

There's just something about square enix that makes people post like dumbasses

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lessail posted:

There's just something about square enix that makes people post like dumbasses

Is this not the history of square's bigger projects (minus 14 which underwent a different but still catastrophic clusterfuck)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Is this not the history of square's bigger projects (minus 14 which underwent a different but still catastrophic clusterfuck)

it is not even an accurate description of kingdom hearts

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Spermando posted:

Ooorr... it could be the perfect excuse to compress the story and render fewer assets.

I mean I dont think anyone would mind them cutting Fort Condor but the next....five towns are all both very asset-heavy and plot important (well okay not Costa Del Sol but how on earth could you skip beach pimp Hojo)

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Expecting some Last Jedi level discourse over the next few months.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I'm really not looking forward to The Discourse about this one. Given what I'm seeing people say even just based on reading reviews I may have underestimated just how furious FF7 fans are going to be.

For some people I'm sure reading their meltdowns will be fun but I think I'll just find it maddening

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Onmi posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/242093653328134145/696539247204630568/1585915061060.webm

Ending Spoiler, and some context 7 seconds is how long it takes Sephiroth to drop and stab Aerith in the original FF7

RIGHT THREAD THIS TIME

the amount of sexual tension in and around this clip rules. I hope they keep it up.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'm really not looking forward to The Discourse about this one. Given what I'm seeing people say even just based on reading reviews I may have underestimated just how furious FF7 fans are going to be.

For some people I'm sure reading their meltdowns will be fun but I think I'll just find it maddening

I'm not even sure we should be spoilering anything here, but better safe than sorry. The dialogue leading up to the finale is downright terrible. "Destiny's crossroads".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lessail posted:

it is not even an accurate description of kingdom hearts

So Kingdom Hearts didn't have a lot of side games and spinoffs and didn't take a long long time between actual sequels?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My guess is that this'll be more like the FFXIII games than Kingdom Hearts, with like 2 or so years between installments. Could be wrong on that but I think Kingdom Hearts is a... special case.

The thing that might throw a wrench into this is that the next two will almost certainly be PS5 games (or cross-platform at best) so maybe that'll cause some huge delay.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Calaveron posted:

So Kingdom Hearts didn't have a lot of side games and spinoffs and didn't take a long long time between actual sequels?

Not really, because that implies those games were detached from the main story and had minimal impact on it, which isn't the case for almost any of them.

Despite only the most recent game being III, the games that game inbetween it and II were all VERY relevant to the main storyline, including introducing the actual big bad.

Hell, even the phone game, which could be said to be a side thing, has been pulled into the main storyline as the next big poo poo about to go down.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Calaveron posted:

What is an "actual sequel"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

My guess is that this'll be more like the FFXIII games than Kingdom Hearts, with like 2 or so years between installments. Could be wrong on that but I think Kingdom Hearts is a... special case.

The thing that might throw a wrench into this is that the next two will almost certainly be PS5 games (or cross-platform at best) so maybe that'll cause some huge delay.

From...vague osmosis over the last few months, I got the impression the PS5 is pretty drat easy to program for, and that part two of this thing has been in production for some time. Plus they’re using a rock solid engine and have the gameplay groundwork already established. All that really means is “only” writing and asset development being left?

Maybe we won’t actually have to wait whole presidential terms between games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

From...vague osmosis over the last few months, I got the impression the PS5 is pretty drat easy to program for, and that part two of this thing has been in production for some time. Plus they’re using a rock solid engine and have the gameplay groundwork already established. All that really means is “only” writing and asset development being left?

Maybe we won’t actually have to wait whole presidential terms between games.

That's what I'm hoping, yeah. I'm sure there'll be gameplay changes/improvements between installments and there's plenty of assets to make, scenes to plan and animate and record, etc. but I'd bet like 2 years or so between games is reasonably realistic. And I bet at least part 2 will be on both PS4 and PS5.

I'll also be very surprised if there are more than three parts. I'm still betting on the pacing being Midgar as part 1 (obviously), the rest of disc one adapted as part 2, and part 3 being roughly analogous to discs two and three.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

The review thread on /r/Games is in full meltdown mode if anyone wants to gawk:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fvvzqy/final_fantasy_vii_remake_review_thread/

Most reviews talk about how things start changing wildly towards the end and people are not taking it well over there.

Everyone please start posting more of this kind of salty poo poo from wherever you see it. This is awesome.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
A thing I don't get about the "it would suck if it had just been a remake" mentality itt is that that seems to elide the fact that changing the gameplay significantly and expanding on or polishing up the story stuff already there is new content. Like, the reactor mission at the beginning is extremely faithful to the original, but it still feels fresh and different because it plays completely differently, the Guard Scorpion is a much more complicated and different fight, etc. They could've just done that the entire game, and it wouldn't have been boring or pointless.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I agree that a mostly-straight up remake with some expansions and possibly a few targeted changes would probably have been great. But, well, that's not what we're getting and I'm excited, or at least very curious to see how this all plays out from here. It could still be really cool.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

I agree that a mostly-straight up remake with some expansions and possibly a few targeted changes would probably have been great. But, well, that's not what we're getting and I'm excited, or at least very curious to see how this all plays out from here. It could still be really cool.

oh, I agree and I'm not mad, I just think a straighter remake could've also been an excellent game that wouldn't have bored fans

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the game would have been great just for the Honey Bee Inn sequence alone. All this watchers of fate stuff is completely unnecessary and I know they don't have the chops to stick the landing on this whole thing writing wise but I'm very interested to see how it goes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do have to admit that I do feel a small amount of disappointment that we won't see a straight-up remake like it looked like we were going to get. I'm excited for what we're getting and really, really curious if things are going to go totally off the rails starting in part 2, but a part of me wishes we could've seen a fully faithful remake.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like how do you go on and have a goofy military parade where you teach some guys how to do your arm breaking spinny sword victor pose after fighting and ostensibly defeating the living manifestation of destiny

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Rufus owns. He shoots his big shotgun handcannon thing behind him to zip around at high speed lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

Rufus owns. He shoots his big shotgun handcannon thing behind him to zip around at high speed lol

Rocket jumping in 2020. What a time to be alive.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Everyone please start posting more of this kind of salty poo poo from wherever you see it. This is awesome.

Dudes are practically organizing petitions to force square to impeach nomura as president of FF7 or some poo poo, lmao

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

The review thread on /r/Games is in full meltdown mode if anyone wants to gawk:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fvvzqy/final_fantasy_vii_remake_review_thread/

Most reviews talk about how things start changing wildly towards the end and people are not taking it well over there.

There's an interesting comment thread on that link talking about how the original FF7 was the most returned game of all time and people sharing their anecdotes and that was pretty interesting.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Dudes are practically organizing petitions to force square to impeach nomura as president of FF7 or some poo poo, lmao

It's the dumbest thing.

Like, I wanted a straight remake too but after reading about what they did I think it's cool and interesting.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Like how do you go on and have a goofy military parade where you teach some guys how to do your arm breaking spinny sword victor pose after fighting and ostensibly defeating the living manifestation of destiny

Life goes on even after the big wins and that boat won't infiltrate itself.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the dumbest thing.

Like, I wanted a straight remake too but after reading about what they did I think it's cool and interesting.

Same. I’m honestly kind of concerned that they’ll get death threats over this, judging by the reddit threads.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm okay with the idea of the story changing, I just don't want the new stuff to be bad, and I really don't want it to be reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts. I haven't fully spoiled myself by literally watching the ending but from what I've seen, I don't know how the idea of time ghosts or whatever the gently caress is going on is going to enrich the story.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
At the end of the last FF7 Remake part, called The End of Final Fantasy 7, they'll flash on the screen the countless death threats they got during the years of making the games

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the dumbest thing.

This series is probably going straight through a time and space portal directly into its own rear end in a top hat before we see the end and I for one have my assholenaut helmet ready to go

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Onmi posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/242093653328134145/696539247204630568/1585915061060.webm

Ending Spoiler, and some context 7 seconds is how long it takes Sephiroth to drop and stab Aerith in the original FF7

RIGHT THREAD THIS TIME

Just to check if I need to tweak settings, is this supposed to have audio?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Big Scary Owl posted:

At the end of the last FF7 Remake part, called The End of Final Fantasy 7, they'll flash on the screen the countless death threats they got during the years of making the games

I've never played a KH game but a friend told me that in one of them there was a scene where some of the usernames from the KH mobile game flashed across the screen really fast.

It would be cool to do that with salt reddit nerd usernames during the final Omnislash at the very end of the last game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

JBP posted:

This series is probably going straight through a time and space portal directly into its own rear end in a top hat before we see the end and I for one have my assholenaut helmet ready to go