Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

can't believe we beat this thing. nice job everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

friendly 2 da void posted:

not all dead yet but all dead soon

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

ventilators can do a lot

if the lungs are injured, and you're having trouble breathing, they can put air into the lungs for you. this is important if you get to the point you're struggling to breathe and are starting to crump.

they can do this by a set volume and respirations. in cases of ARDS, you want low tidal volume but increased respirations so you don't get barotrauma

this also passively helps in gas exchange. more oxygen in the lungs means more co2 out. too much co2 leads to acidosis and eventually brain damage.

they can also, importantly, provide positive end expiratory pressure (PEEP) to keep the lungs inflated. There's so much fluid (hopefulyly in boris johnson's lungs) that the alveoli, the place where gas exchange is happening, can't stay inflated. increasing that peep will allow them to stay open and for gas exchange to take place.

this one little magical machine does all of this. they're the coolest things in the world.

as far as him healing, the idea is that this machine will take his breathing out of the equation long enough for his body to fight the infection and him to get better naturally. but there's nothing to say his body is making any progress. meanwhile, other organs are going to start to fail, like his kidneys and liver. Kidneys....isn't great but its manageable. once the liver starts going, that's it.

and that's also assuming he doesn't get a ventilator or hospital acquired pneumonia, which in this case would pretty much be gg.

there less severe reasons to get a vent (rib injuries in the elderly are the big one) but in this case, all we know about boris is he was going to die without one. and he'll still probably die with it because they don't really have way to slow down the virus.

I gather there's basically gently caress all you can do when on a vent aside from your own immune response, either your body is able to take the reprieve and recuperate on its own steam or not. It's not a treatment so much as a hopeful respite. That also doesn't guarantee smooth sailing because if you do recover from two weeks plus on a vent you may well have lung damage. Ventilators are brutal and several weeks on one might mean long term lung damage. Like you may be in the age group where you don't die but you might be left not able to do much before being out of breath, that charity 5k might be right out as you struggle to catch your breath

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

thank you! working hard

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

KaptainKrunk posted:

all deaths are up from yesterday

thats going to happen since they lag but new infections are down in NY, pretty close to the end of day reset on Worldometer

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

right now boris' alcohol ravaged liver is swelling, slowing down the flow of blood throughout his entire body.

Ok maybe I should lose some weight.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

there's an excellent book called "Lincoln in the bardo" where this is kind of a part of the plot. Dead people hanging out in their "sick boxes"

Were those like safety coffins?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_coffin

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Ah, thank God

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009

Dreylad posted:

this is pretty educational because after I had surgery last year my O2 levels didn't come back to normal very quickly and they gave me oxygen for a day until things stabilized. I didn't really understand why, something about getting air right to the back of my lungs to help fight off pneumonia.

i also had a bunch of breathing exercises and was taught to cough with a pillow around my chest to help ease the pain. That stuff helped too, especially the breathing exercises, but it took some time.

essentially, if you aren’t taking deep breaths, the lung tissue compresses aka atalectasis occurs. less tissue is available for gas exchange. it is easier for infections to develop in the collapsed tissue. happens frequently with anesthesia.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Trump country gearing up to get slaughtered in a couple weeks.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

I gather there's basically gently caress all you can do when on a vent aside from your own immune response, either your body is able to take the reprieve and recuperate on its own steam or not. It's not a treatment so much as a hopeful respite. That also doesn't guarantee smooth sailing because if you do recover from two weeks plus on a vent you may well have lung damage. Ventilators are brutal and several weeks on one might mean long term lung damage. Like you may be in the age group where you don't die but you might be left not able to do much before being out of breath, that charity 5k might be right out as you struggle to catch your breath

i wonder if there will be any outcome to the asymptomatic people who come in with shoulder injuries but show 'broken glass' in the lung. but yeah this may be something that thousands of people live with for the rest of their lives. it may turn out to impact overall mortality down the line.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

One out of three's good enough for baseball.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

charity rereg posted:

thats going to happen since they lag but new infections are down in NY, pretty close to the end of day reset on Worldometer

new infections are down! amazing! i sure hope it's not because america tested approximately 100,000 less people on sunday than it did on saturday...

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

charity rereg posted:

lol it just updated and they're up

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
hmm, they made me take down the ghana funeral boris tweet because you're not supposed to wish death upon sick people

I'll put it back up after he's dead I guess

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

new infections are down! amazing! i sure hope it's not because america tested approximately 100,000 less people on sunday than it did on saturday...

what i meant was infections were down TODAY compared to YESTERDAY, but now that are not.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Rah! posted:

covid-19 test came back negative :sad:

guess i gotta wear this garbage bag more who cares not like i was gonna stop i always wear this

All that means is that you didn't have active viral shedding in your nose. Right now I really wouldn't put any faith in a negative covid nasal swab. Which is certainly not helpful advice for people in your situation where it is likely you had it based on clinical symptoms, but now you're left in doubt and fear that you've yet to dehumanize and face to roni.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

charity rereg posted:

what i said was infections were down TODAY compared to YESTERDAY, but now that are not. smh please read.

thank god because i was really hoping that the drop in infections was not related to america's laughable lack of testing, and was instead because the virus just plum wore out and disappeared like a miracle...

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fauci revising the death projection downward and that article about New York's infections dropping really did a number on people.

Everything is over. Back to work. Shutdowns over. We are through it everyone. Good job.

I wonder if this means we will just try to ignore the second wave or own our economy even harder when we realize we can't just pretend a virus doesn't exist.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

Zeno-25 posted:

Don't waste money on a overpriced aerogarden, just build a DIY pvc hyroponic rig like this:

Easily scaled down or

that's a nice looking manifold

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
peepaw is bappin!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

If BoJo dies but I don't I'll be sad :(

Jealous.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
gonna save up my pocket money for an aerogarden and make bitchin rear end madras paste forever

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

thank god because i was really hoping that the drop in infections was not related to america's laughable lack of testing, and was instead because the virus just plum wore out and disappeared like a miracle...

go for a fuckin walk dude, how dare someone point out that for a brief time new infections were down, hoping that the curve was bending and my loving friends and family in NY wouldn't get sick and die.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

twoday posted:

hmm, they made me take down the ghana funeral boris tweet because you're not supposed to wish death upon sick people

I'll put it back up after he's dead I guess

bad man die soon :britain:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

I gather there's basically gently caress all you can do when on a vent aside from your own immune response, either your body is able to take the reprieve and recuperate on its own steam or not. It's not a treatment so much as a hopeful respite. That also doesn't guarantee smooth sailing because if you do recover from two weeks plus on a vent you may well have lung damage.

Well when the patient is on a vent, they're heavily sedated. we use something called the richmond agitation scale, and generally we always put people on a -2 to -3. that's where they're basically asleep but you can wake them up enough to check their ability to track your finger and make sure cranial nerves are intact.

but in that state the patient can be given anti pyuretics to get his fever down, his broken ribs can heal, he can have diuretics to try to get the fluid down, his electrolytes can be monitored so he doesn't get third spacing blah blah blah

but think about how the virus spreads. it gets to one cell, then to five, then to 25, then to 125 and so forth. and eventually it's going to be so widespread that it cna't really be stopped. and it's destroying lungs cells along the way, which is making the immune response worse on the lungs.

it's not looking good for him

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Honj Steak posted:

Johnny Pneumonic

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Honj Steak posted:

Johnny Pneumonic

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

charity rereg posted:

go for a fuckin walk dude, how dare someone point out that for a brief time new infections were down, hoping that the curve was bending and my loving friends and family in NY wouldn't get sick and die.

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Xaris posted:

goondolences, that sucks

lol still gotta worry bout havin a roni

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Honj Steak posted:

Johnny Pneumonic

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

Don't waste money on a overpriced aerogarden, just build a DIY pvc hyroponic rig like this:

Easily scaled down or

Scale it up!

If you use really wide pipe you can grow real veggies like cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes etc

Extra bonus: you can grow weed in the big ones

I'd build one of those if I didn't live in an apartment in a city. That's pretty sick though, I should suggest it to househaving friends

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Come the gently caress on, Henry Rollins is a known liar.

RandomBlue has issued a correction as of 01:14 on Apr 7, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/LAKUTIS/status/1247175099310125056

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Zeno-25 posted:

Easily scaled down or

Scale it up!

If you use really wide pipe you can grow real veggies like cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes etc

Extra bonus: you can grow weed in the big ones

yeah that poo poo would own if the sun existed here :/

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

mint, oregano or marjoram can get really invasive if you don't put them in pots... i lived in a place where i had to weed whack the mint every few months and in my last place oregano had taken over a good portion of the backyard lawn... smelled nice when i mowed it though... thyme is one of my favorites and it's hardy, after a firestorm turned everything into the moon my thyme, raspberries and one of my grapes survived somehow and grew back

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
imagine living in a country where instead of sitting around wondering whether you have the roni you could walk into the nearest med facility and get tested for free, also if you get laid off the gov picks up your salary, also you have no student loans lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

in this time when the rowdy roni is teasing the deaths of prince charles, bojo, rand paul (and potentially a significant part of the senate gop??), bolsonaro, and tigers, let us take a moment to recall that there is a world complicated w events outside of these potential coronavirus fatalities—for instance, rush limbaugh is dying of cancer

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

RandomBlue posted:

Come the gently caress on, Henry Rollins is a known liar.

Holy gently caress I was just transported back to 93 when my friend was saying this exact thing, I tried to warn him about the future but all that came out was "tRONP" and I was pulled back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

my coworker who was out all last week and friday of the week before is back today. she spent some time in the hospital and tested positive for the roni but is starting to feel better