Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kraftwerk posted:

I think the current generation of Camry is great in higher trim levels and the only thing you need to do is justify the cost.

The Accord is also excellent and seems deeper discounted around these parts, and if used is an option you can directly cross shop new or lightly used Camrys vs low-mileage used Kia K900 / Hyundai Genesis Sedans. I know we just had the "Koreans are not perfect", but the luxury Korean pricing is directly comparable to higher trim Honda / Toyota:

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1432718

Heck, I need to dig to find it again but freaking Carmax had a 30 month old K900 for $20k the other week.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

You ever drive the Accord 2.0T side by side with the Camry V6 XSE?
All the auto review sites say the accord is the better car but my personal experiences put the Camry as the more comfortable and ergonomically friendly car.

I’m convinced that auto review sites are just outsourced product marketing companies for the manufacturers and the reviews are full of bullshit and hot air.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kraftwerk posted:

All the auto review sites say the accord is the better car but my personal experiences put the Camry as the more comfortable and ergonomically friendly car.

I’m convinced that auto review sites are just outsourced product marketing companies for the manufacturers and the reviews are full of bullshit and hot air.

Nope, I cross shopped the Accord & Camry recently, but only lower Hybrid trims.

The experience there is that Camry hybrid pricing is $4500 higher sticker across the board, and Honda has more incentives & discounting on top of it too. Real world price difference between Camry and Accord in base hybrid trims here is that the Accord was $6000 cheaper.

I ended up buying a plug-in hybrid Kia at the end though!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Frond posted:

I generally feel that Subaru is one of (if not the worst) reliability wise when in comes to Japanese cars

In a world where Nissan and Mitsubishi exists, this feels like you're being edgy.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there suspicion that the upcoming subcompact truck from Ford will be based on the Ecosport? Because it didn't review well at Car and Driver and while some things, like cramped rear seats, won't carry over, interior quality might and engine performance even more so.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Sweden, land of the wagons. Mine is in blue.

It says a lot about the American car market that I'm jealous of your Kia Optima PHEV wagon.

:sigh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kraftwerk posted:

yeah this does not track with my experience with those two cars

but i care about shifting my own gears so i'm not gonna buy the loving camry no matter what

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there suspicion that the upcoming subcompact truck from Ford will be based on the Ecosport? Because it didn't review well at Car and Driver and while some things, like cramped rear seats, won't carry over, interior quality might and engine performance even more so.

not quite. it will be based on Ford Global B which covers all Ford B-segment cars, including stuff that IS well regarded like the 7th gen Fiesta. so the platform can be made good. The EcoSport is also on Ford Global B and isn't very good.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

In a world where Nissan and Mitsubishi exists, this feels like you're being edgy.

Eh, Subaru has had some spectacular recall issues.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

As has Toyota, but they seem to always get a pass when it comes to perception.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Heck, I need to dig to find it again but freaking Carmax had a 30 month old K900 for $20k the other week.

:drat:

Although, I've only ever seen one in the wild (i.e.: not at the dealership), and it was murdered out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

I think it's because they mostly get it right and when they do it's really good.

They all have recalls at one point or another, but when you have recalls and your cars are still meh then you don't tend to get a pass like Toyota does.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Twerk from Home posted:

These were like 40k new right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

These were like 40k new right?

Started at $60,235

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Powershift posted:

Started at $60,235

So like, 45k OTD?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

So like, 45k OTD?

Yeah, you can get a new 2019 for $47,595

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/775070368/overview/

I like how they didn't even bother wiping the massive amount of dust on it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Seems like the kind of car that you see diplomatic tags on because the SK embassy owns a few and that's about it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Legit good looking car, though. There's a guy who drives one around Vegas that prooooobably doesn't have the original motor as it sounds like an LS with a very lumpy cam and glasspacks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

probably just a massaged Tau V8, they can sound pretty aggressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNEkVxG52iI

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

I dunno. Half a million engines that may eat themselves seems more severe than what i recall from Toyota.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Murgos posted:

I dunno. Half a million engines that may eat themselves seems more severe than what i recall from Toyota.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/toyota-lexus-recall-replace-engine-avalon-camry-rav4-es/

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/toyota-recalls-3-4-million-vehicles-worldwide-says-air-bags-n1120141

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/toyota-recall-nearly-700000-cars-fix-faulty-fuel-pumps/

There's also been brake recalls, accelerator sticking open recalls.......

Every single car maker has recalls for millions of vehicles for various faults ranging from hilariously silly to issues that are outright dangerous. Singling out one particular manufacturer to point and laugh at is dumb because it turns out making cars is loving hard and mistakes can escalate into millions of cars very easily.

edit : Except the one where a manufacturer deliberatly tried to hide the defect and it killed someone. See ; Ford gearbox scandal, GM ignition locks, the well known Takata fiasco, VW emissions scandal......

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
VW did nothing wrong. It wasn't sporting of them, but it's bullshit they got nabbed for that when every manufacturer in existence does (and is allowed to) recommend absolutely bizarre shift points, and designs gear ratios around testing cycles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They literally changed the ECU map when the system detected it was being tested for emissions, which means that it's literally impossible for the car to hit those numbers on the road regardless of how you drive. I'm sure they weren't the only ones doing it, but they sure as poo poo were guilty.

It would be the exact same thing if a car manufacturer only let their engine hit rated power when on a dyno, and gave you 50hp less at all other times because they know the engine will blow up if they try to run it like that all the time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PT6A posted:

VW did nothing wrong. It wasn't sporting of them, but it's bullshit they got nabbed for that when every manufacturer in existence does (and is allowed to) recommend absolutely bizarre shift points, and designs gear ratios around testing cycles.

I seem to recall my mother teaching me that "everybody is doing it" doesn't make it right (or legal).

They played chicken with the law and lost. If others get caught, they should be punished similarly.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

I seem to recall my mother teaching me that "everybody is doing it" doesn't make it right (or legal).

They played chicken with the law and lost. If others get caught, they should be punished similarly.

Yeah but pollution doesn't hurt anyone so what's the problem. Not to mention lying to consumers about running cost... dodging taxes for emissions...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PT6A posted:

VWs with the smaller 7-speed DSG are the absolute poster child for that. I've never been able to get even close to the (very impressive) official numbers whereas it's pretty easy in a Corolla or Mazda3 or whatever.

Also to whoever was complaining about the AC controls on a 200 series: Meanwhile in Australia:

We get a lap timer, stopwatch, alarm clock and the worlds worst reversing camera.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

100% full of poo poo poster right here

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus Christ there are dieselgate truthers now what the gently caress

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

PT6A posted:

VW did nothing wrong.

Yeah nah bro. VW was waaaaaaaaay beyond any fiddles other car makers were doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvokGhOaHGg

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

dissss posted:

VWs with the smaller 7-speed DSG are the absolute poster child for that. I've never been able to get even close to the (very impressive) official numbers whereas it's pretty easy in a Corolla or Mazda3 or whatever.

Also to whoever was complaining about the AC controls on a 200 series: Meanwhile in Australia:

We get a lap timer, stopwatch, alarm clock and the worlds worst reversing camera.

Is that a 70 series? That’s amazing. I have made the 200’s reversing camera useless by leaving it behind the rear tire on the carrier. I think Slee sells a kit to relocate it, I should have them do that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm one of the people that had a TDI that got bought back that pretty much never hit the epa estimated mpg and I did quite a few long trips and put around 22k miles a year on it. I hit the epa mileage 2 times that I owned it, one of which was a trip back from southern oklahoma when I had a kayak on the roof and like a 30 mph tailwind.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Jack B Nimble posted:

Well the Ecosport is literally a third world car

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

It would be the exact same thing if a car manufacturer only let their engine hit rated power when on a dyno, and gave you 50hp less at all other times because they know the engine will blow up if they try to run it like that all the time.

Slightly but not really related, but let us call it fact of the day; when the Audi S4 B6 came out it turned out that if you got it with a slushbox the max revs before upshift (even in manual mode) was 6.7-6.8k. That left auto owners somewhat short of a full life since the engine was rated at 344hp/7000rpm, meaning that if you got the car with an autobox you would never under any circumstances reach 344hp. No biggie maybe, except for Audi pushing that certain number really hard (since the contemporary E46 M3 has 343hp).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Kraftwerk posted:

The Accord is a lot better than the Camry.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

terrible, awful, incorrect take

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

The Accord is also excellent and seems deeper discounted around these parts, and if used is an option you can directly cross shop new or lightly used Camrys vs low-mileage used Kia K900 / Hyundai Genesis Sedans. I know we just had the "Koreans are not perfect", but the luxury Korean pricing is directly comparable to higher trim Honda / Toyota:

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1432718

On one hand, the G80 is pretty good, and would be on my shortlist for replacement cars if my car were suddenly totaled tomorrow.

On the other hand, the first-gen K900 and Equus are Korean Lincoln Town Cars: boats designed to be driven around in, not to drive yourself. Replacement body parts for a K900 may also be difficult to find in the future given how few of those were sold.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Remember the Amati? Oh man.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

drgitlin posted:

The Accord is a lot better than the Camry.

Yeah but dude, haven't you heard? You're just a product marketer full of bullshit and hot air so we clearly can't take your opinion as valid.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Jesus Christ there are dieselgate truthers now what the gently caress

Yeah, check the comments on Regular Car Review's long-form essay on Dieselgate.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Even if everyone is doing it VW should have cheated better, then they wouldn't have got caught.

Either way they hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The "Hard NOx" episode of Dirty Money on Netflix does a deep dive into dieselgate and was a very informative watch. It was willing and complicit fraud from the top down.