Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Aw HELL yeah! Not only did my three days of Amiiboing Dotty finally pay off, but she's kicking that dumbass Broccolo out!

Two birds with one stone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FINALLY
I had to strip an entire bamboo island of its resources but I finally caught a spider

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had to strip an entire bamboo island of its resources but I finally caught a spider
Is there a way to do this without going to an island with a nearly empty inventory? I haven't seen a way to get rid of items once I'm on an island, and it seems like if you let bugs go, they just respawn on the island?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

WhiteHowler posted:

Is there a way to do this without going to an island with a nearly empty inventory? I haven't seen a way to get rid of items once I'm on an island, and it seems like if you let bugs go, they just respawn on the island?

If you do it on a bamboo island just drop everything that isn't a net in a bottom corner and chase away the wharf roaches and tiger beetles, no need to catch anything that isn't a tarantula.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I dunno, I probably didn't do it optimally. I didn't bother to clear more than a couple rows of inventory and still got enough to be worthwhile. I guess you don't really NEED anything other than enough to rebuild an axe and replenish your shovel. Mostly I just ignored all the other bugs while I was clearing everything. By the end, it was only tiger beetles and spiders spawning, and running at the beetles chased them away enough to get spider spawns.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How quickly do tarantulas spawn? I felt like the couple of times I tried to make a tarantula island it took forever for them to spawn and didn't feel worth it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kirios posted:

How quickly do tarantulas spawn? I felt like the couple of times I tried to make a tarantula island it took forever for them to spawn and didn't feel worth it.

It heavily depends on the layout of the island. If a lot of tiger beetles are spawning, then you'll eventually get a lot of tarantulas. But if it's mostly giant water bugs, then you're probably better off finding a new island to turn into a tarantula island.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Kirios posted:

They're uncommon spawns so it depends how quickly you can chase away anything that isn't a tarantula. That's why bamboo is ideal since the only other things that can spawn are wharf roaches and tiger beetles. Any map with ponds/rivers will spawn water beetles and they don't scatter when you run near them.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Kirios posted:

It's a lower spawn rate than other bugs, but at least you can chase the tiger beetles and warf roaches away to get another quick chance at a different spawn. It's the stupid ground roaches and water beetles that are annoying and take up a bug spawn. It's still probably the best way to make bells if you don't mind farming, outside of watching the stalk market and especially if you save them for Flick.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i recommend making a tarantula trap with a line of holes, it makes a lot easier to catch them!!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one thing i was missing from the old games was the giant pond that would be halfway down the river. so i went and made one myself and it came out p good. i just wish i could put the little pier on it now

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
How long until/how often/what time does Mabel show up on the island after talking to her in Nook's new store?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Straight White Shark posted:

How long until/how often/what time does Mabel show up on the island after talking to her in Nook's new store?

Daily for three days in my experience. Then she moves in for good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

oddium posted:

one thing i was missing from the old games was the giant pond that would be halfway down the river. so i went and made one myself and it came out p good. i just wish i could put the little pier on it now

You could put a little peninsula there and tile it with wood

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Is the royal crown rare enough that I should be opening up my island for folks or is it not really that rare?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I just stumbled on an island that only has black bass

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

arbybaconator posted:

Oh hey, didn't notice my gates were open

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

arbybaconator posted:

The most metal of fish

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Gnossiennes posted:

i recommend making a tarantula trap with a line of holes, it makes a lot easier to catch them!!

I recommend leaving a single tree because Atlas Moths sell better than Giant Water Bugs, even if they're no tarantula.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Chris Pistols posted:

Sweet, I shall set it to sleep so I can pick up some turtles in an hour & a bit.

9 olive flounders, 12 red snappers, 2 oarfish and 2 tuna. Not a bad haul so far!

From earlier: AFAIK your time / clock is locked in to whatever hour you started the Nook Miles ticket tour.

You can't start an island at 4 PM and stay until night and expect tarantulas, I don't think.

LastGoodBoy posted:

Stole three red cosmos and three yellow roses from you, but I left a fat tip in front of your house. Thanks!

Thank you for your very generous donation to the next incline fund! :patriot: If I could put a plaque down with your name on it I would!

Gates are still open if people want to clothing shop as per my last post. Turnips are 143 too if you want to unload like I did today (I bought at 93).

Dodo code: 4PVJ5 Closed!

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 7, 2020

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Meteor showers going on in my town

2F66Q

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

fit em all up in there posted:

2F66Q

Thanks! Just got here, she is giving out the recipe for a rocket.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Blew 20k on Nook Miles tonight looking for a new villager and settled on Tangy. This game has given me too much power :getin:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/frogorbs/status/1247207406104391681

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Shneak posted:

Blew 20k on Nook Miles tonight looking for a new villager and settled on Tangy. This game has given me too much power :getin:

Tangy is the best. And I just learned the DIY for a hat that looks like an orange, so guess who is receiving a new hat soon

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Nottherealaborn posted:

guess who is receiving a new hat soon

Is it me?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SURELY bringing 240 bait to a Nook Island would be more than enough to catch 3 barreleyes for CJ, right?

Nnnnnnnope. I used every last bait and I caught ONE barreleye. I burned through 9 fishing rods. It was never raining, but I somehow caught 2 coelacanths.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

SURELY bringing 240 bait to a Nook Island would be more than enough to catch 3 barreleyes for CJ, right?

Nnnnnnnope. I used every last bait and I caught ONE barreleye. I burned through 9 fishing rods. It was never raining, but I somehow caught 2 coelacanths.

Congrats on your new 2/3 coelacanth, 1/3 barreleye model

Lol it can be? Would you like an orange hat?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I recommend leaving a single tree because Atlas Moths sell better than Giant Water Bugs, even if they're no tarantula.

Ok now that I'm all done with this island, goons you should absolutely leave a single tree if you've got Water Bugs on your self-made Tarantula Island. It had an Atlas Moth on it on like every other pass, I easily replaced all my water bugs with them by the time I was full up.

Crinklepouch
May 30, 2016

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.

2F66Q

Sweet! Thank you.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’ve got a dumbass question -

What is the difference between a river and a lake?

Do rivers gave to be water connected to river mouths? Are lakes a certain size?

Let’s say I have a non-connected body of water that is 4x50. Is this a river or a lake?

Let’s say I have a 50x50 square of water connected almost directly to a river mouth. Is this a river or a lake?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mordiceius posted:

I’ve got a dumbass question -

Let’s say I have a non-connected body of water that is 4x50. Is this a river or a lake?

Let’s say I have a 50x50 square of water connected almost directly to a river mouth. Is this a river or a lake?

If it connects to the sea, it's a river.

Crinklepouch
May 30, 2016

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.
I'm just sitting here wishing on stars... how many should I do?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Sockser posted:

I made a little waterfall zone of double level waterfalls from three sides into a pond on the base level, and the fish in it are river fish. It doesn’t connect to any river mouths or go anywhere, so I think it might also be the case that waterfalls make a body of water a river even if it doesn’t connect to the sea.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

200 is more than enough

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Barold just gave me the "chocolate soft serve" hat, because he said it looked "interesting."

You little fuckre you know exactly what it looks like.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Hey looks like my game went down. I’m getting ready for bed, but I’ll still open for half an hour in case you didn’t get to wish
1MWPT

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My wife just discovered that Celeste is not a permanent resident and now she is inconsolable. Nintendo you fuckheads t:mad:t

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

2F66Q

Sweet, got this dope rear end Rocket from Celest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Mordiceius posted:

Ive got a dumbass question -

Lets say I have a non-connected body of water that is 4x50. Is this a river or a lake?

Lets say I have a 50x50 square of water connected almost directly to a river mouth. Is this a river or a lake?

Sockser posted:

redcheval posted:

I made a little waterfall zone of double level waterfalls from three sides into a pond on the base level, and the fish in it are river fish. It doesnt connect to any river mouths or go anywhere, so I think it might also be the case that waterfalls make a body of water a river even if it doesnt connect to the sea.

A similar question: I made a thicc portion to my river a la the ponds in the old games, is this a pond or are only the entirely disconnected ponds ponds?