Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The Zombie Guy posted:

Jumping in on crafting chat. Yeah I know it's not dragging it down. So here's something that dragged down FO:NV for me:
Not having more expansions.

Crafting wasn't a problem for me, but repairing was just tedious. First thing I did when I replayed it was to mod that one feature out and it plays so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Picked up Hyrule Warriors this weekend for the first time in quite a while, and remembered an aspect I really don't like. There's so many sub-missions and objectives that pop up during a level that it's easy to lose track in the shuffle. And it's not always obvious in the moment whether areas being threatened are just random strongholds or mission-critical objectives.
What drove this home today was finding out an objective I'd been ignoring during a boss fight was a critical one - and that the checkpointing system can put your restart position at a point where it's literally impossible to even reach that objective before failing again, even beelining there at a flat-out run :arghfist::saddowns:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My Lovely Horse posted:

So people gave Breath of the Wild a ton of poo poo for having to cook meals one at a time yet RDR2 gets of scot free huh

Crafting in games is good when it doesn't get in your way. Ideally you could choose whether to engage with it or just set it to some kind of automatic background crafting routine. I can't think of any game where it was really that kind of good, though. Death Stranding had the right idea letting you break down anything into a managable number of base components; sure sometimes you had to ferry tons of them across the map but that's actually fun in a game where transporting stuff is the core gameplay.

The very worst kind of crafting, I'd say, would have you deliver unique ingredients with random drop rates in real time to location-fixed crafting stations that are both remote and widespread and offer rewards that are largely cosmetic and I'm not even trying to specifically describe RDR 2 but

There are no random drop rates in RDR2, the quality of pelts is immediately visible by looking at the animal and you can easily check to see which type of weapon will keep the pelt intact. When you harvest animals you always get at least one of all the components they drop. If you headshot an animal with the correct weapon the pelt will always be the quality advertised. In fact the game is even gracious and has a chance to keep a pelt intact even if you gently caress up shooting the animal properly, add in the trinket that gives a chance of a pelt being higher quality than what the animal advertises you basically hardly ever have to tediously farm hunts in RDR2 and the game is incredibly forgiving. Pelts even give multiple ticks of the values you need to craft items so it doesn't take very much to craft everything using a particular skin, not to mention the absurd amounts of basic pelts you can stack on your horse, if you catalogue how many of any particular animals' pelts you need to have enough to sell for all the clothing recipes at the trapper you can literally get them all in one go within an hour or two and the trapper will always keep that amount of pelts you sold in reserve.

Say what you want about having to lug the stuff around to the trappers but RDR2 is extremely transparent and consistent about what you get and how to get it and 3 star pelts of any type are easy enough to find. Rare animals like cougars are almost always 3 star pelts so you don't even have to keep faffing about to find a perfect pelt for them. Even common animals almost always have 3 star spawns in any grouping. The map shows where certain animals spawn once you've been there and the Legendary hunts are straightforward and hard to scare off.

Is it all slow? Yes, very, but RDR2 basically has very few of the things that make most crafting systems aggravating. It's virtually entire optional and cosmetic so it can be ignored if you want, the Legendary animals that do allow you to craft beneficial items are easy to find and clearly marked on your map upon discovery of the area (and you always get a perfect pelt from them no matter how they're killed), you don't actually need very much of any given material to craft what you want, the spawn rate of high quality pelts is very common and easy to find, and of all the drops you get to actually craft things you get a hell of a lot of them from any given kill to the point that your inventory will be full to the brim with them.

Its biggest issues are actually exploiting the resources you find, crafting items one at a time, lugging them to camp or to trappers, the skinning animations, but the most irritating aspects like stinginess for high quality drops, randomization of drops, and scarcity of things that give those drops are non-issues in RDR2. The only pain in the rear end are the God drat snakes that are nigh impossible to kill properly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Picked up Hyrule Warriors this weekend for the first time in quite a while, and remembered an aspect I really don't like. There's so many sub-missions and objectives that pop up during a level that it's easy to lose track in the shuffle. And it's not always obvious in the moment whether areas being threatened are just random strongholds or mission-critical objectives.
What drove this home today was finding out an objective I'd been ignoring during a boss fight was a critical one - and that the checkpointing system can put your restart position at a point where it's literally impossible to even reach that objective before failing again, even beelining there at a flat-out run :arghfist::saddowns:

For as great as Hyrule Warriors is the UI is soooooo baaaaad and basically exhausts you into ignoring it by spamming too much random bullshit on screen at all times. So inevitably you will miss important info because most of the time it's just characters jabbering at each other or the game congratulating you on 1000 kills or giving you status updates on cuccos or whatever the hell else. And oh by the way if you don't kill this Dodongo in the next five seconds you instantly fail the mission.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
While we're on Hyrule Warriors, one thing dragging it down for me is the change in selecting items from the Wii U version to the Switch version. In the Wii U version, you could use the touch screen to quick-select what item you had equipped (hold a finger/stylus on the screen, then move it over to the item) - it was very quick, and you could do it on the run, which was super useful! And then they removed it for the Switch version - you now have to use the D-pad to cycle through all of your items, which is especially obnoxious if you have to dodge stuff while doing it - I basically have to prop my Switch against my knees or put it down on a table, then reach over with my right hand while my left hand is controlling my character. For the Ganondorf fights, I've basically gotten used to getting an item ready, then dodging all of his other attacks until he does the one I can counter - it takes too long to cycle to the right one while he's doing the attack.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

If you headshot an animal with the correct weapon the pelt will always be the quality advertised.

Something which incidentally is extremely unethical IRL because of the possibility to leave the animal disfigured and in extreme pain to very slowly die somewhere else. You shoot the animal in the boiler room with a round capable of making it bleed out fast or you don't shoot it at all.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Huh, I guess I was assuming a lot about the pelt quality business, cause it all feels so much like a random rarity drop system. Good to know, thanks for the writeup!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jayme posted:

While we're on Hyrule Warriors, one thing dragging it down for me is the change in selecting items from the Wii U version to the Switch version. In the Wii U version, you could use the touch screen to quick-select what item you had equipped (hold a finger/stylus on the screen, then move it over to the item) - it was very quick, and you could do it on the run, which was super useful! And then they removed it for the Switch version - you now have to use the D-pad to cycle through all of your items, which is especially obnoxious if you have to dodge stuff while doing it - I basically have to prop my Switch against my knees or put it down on a table, then reach over with my right hand while my left hand is controlling my character. For the Ganondorf fights, I've basically gotten used to getting an item ready, then dodging all of his other attacks until he does the one I can counter - it takes too long to cycle to the right one while he's doing the attack.

Yeah, everything besides the Big Poes do their attacks too quickly to counter them.

I'm annoyed that you can't choose other people's weapons for them so you have to sell everything just to force them from using weak ones.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Something which incidentally is extremely unethical IRL because of the possibility to leave the animal disfigured and in extreme pain to very slowly die somewhere else.

Speaking of, if you gently caress up this is exactly what happens in RDR2 and it's extremely distressing.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The only thing dragging down RE3 for me is that I wanted a sickass magnum revolver, not a desert eagle! AGAIN! :argh:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I am really enjoying Syndicate, except I enjoyed it more once I stopped trying to play it like a stealth game. In something like a Deus Ex or Dishonored game, you might sneak between cover but in AC:S I just seem to sit around a while, do a takedown, then move on - there has been very little actual need for stealth so far. You're not sneaking around patrolling guards or offices with people in them, you can just parkour past most people and do a quick takedown on anyone else.

Which is fun and I'm enjoying it - it's just weirdly at odds with the presentation of the game as something stealthy. It's just open world parkour murder simulator I guess?

Yeah, that's Assassin's Creed. Unity was much more about "don't get spotted and succeed in your mission", but even then you spent a lot of time crouching behind boxes stabbing people. I love the series to death, but until Origins it was low on innovation.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Something which incidentally is extremely unethical IRL because of the possibility to leave the animal disfigured and in extreme pain to very slowly die somewhere else. You shoot the animal in the boiler room with a round capable of making it bleed out fast or you don't shoot it at all.
I have roughly 0 knowledge of hunting so genuine question - that sounds like an extremely difficult shot to guarantee, isn't there a very high chance of hitting strong bones like shoulders, or even just rupturing a lung and some ribs?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The only thing dragging down RE3 for me is that I wanted a sickass magnum revolver, not a desert eagle! AGAIN! :argh:

What the gently caress? I haven't been this angry since Claire didn't get the Hi Power until most of the way through the police station!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of, if you gently caress up this is exactly what happens in RDR2 and it's extremely distressing.
...and IIRC makes you lose morality points, even in Online. Same thing if you come across a wounded animal and don't finish it off.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I am really enjoying Syndicate, except I enjoyed it more once I stopped trying to play it like a stealth game. In something like a Deus Ex or Dishonored game, you might sneak between cover but in AC:S I just seem to sit around a while, do a takedown, then move on - there has been very little actual need for stealth so far. You're not sneaking around patrolling guards or offices with people in them, you can just parkour past most people and do a quick takedown on anyone else.

Which is fun and I'm enjoying it - it's just weirdly at odds with the presentation of the game as something stealthy. It's just open world parkour murder simulator I guess?

Syndicate is good because you have one character if you want to stealth and one for brawling but both can play either way. It's certainly not a stealth game in the vein of Thief or a stealth Deus Ex run. I don't think they'll ever beat the high point of Black Flag. I've tried to get into Origins several times and just can't. The forts especially seem to force a level of stealth these games aren't quite suited for (though I probably just suck at it).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I have roughly 0 knowledge of hunting so genuine question - that sounds like an extremely difficult shot to guarantee, isn't there a very high chance of hitting strong bones like shoulders, or even just rupturing a lung and some ribs?

Generally you're supposed to hunt with a calibre powerful enough to not be stopped by the bone in that case. When hunting deer, you're even supposed to aim pretty much at the shoulder blade or slightly behind it. The idea is that even if you're off by quite a bit, you're still very likely to hit a lung or major blood vessels. That way, death/unconsciousness should still occur in a matter of seconds or at worst minutes. By comparison, a messed-up headshot could leave the animal alive and in pain for hours or even days.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RDR2's hunting tutorial did mention something about aiming for the head or the heart and I fully expect Rockstar to have modelled a heart hotspot onto the animals.

Question is, do you still get wolf hearts if you nail them there

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Sunswipe posted:

What the gently caress? I haven't been this angry since Claire didn't get the Hi Power until most of the way through the police station!

I KNOW RIGHT? Claire's main weapon is that ugly rear end dinky snub barrel revolver. BLUNDER OF THE CENTURY.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I KNOW RIGHT? Claire's main weapon is that ugly rear end dinky snub barrel revolver. BLUNDER OF THE CENTURY.

But it's pretty fitting a young girl would carry something like that for self defense. Plus, you can upgrade it to use magnum rounds, which that other pistol can't do!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Out of all the Samurai Shodown characters they could have added to Soul Calibur VI, they picked the most generic samurai man instead of, like, anyone else :argh:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I rag on Original Sin 2 for forcing you, in an un-modded game, to replace 40+ pieces of randomly-generated equipment every time you level up just to keep on par with your enemies. What are games that do equipment sorting and itemization poorly?

The Outer Worlds had an elaborate loot system that felt out of place since the game is too easy and over too soon to make use of it. There are loads of duplicate-weapons and a rather pointless upgrading system, since the cost to upgrade a piece of gear to your is exponential.

AC Unity: There's a staggering number of stats attached to hundreds of pieces of equipment, when the only thing that matters is their level. "Eadle Vision Cooldown 20%"? There's no way I recall to keep track of these bonuses and their implementation is highly vestigial.

Skyrim: In an un-modded game your inventory is laid out like a loving Ikea catalogue. Heavy armour gets left out in the cold because of the Armour cap.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I love Dark Souls 3 and I love playing Fashion Souls in it but the equipment menus are just a total mess. It's pretty much the opposite problem from Skyrim - whereas Skyrim is like "here's a big loving list of text" DS3 is like "here's a giant grid with literally dozens of associated stats for each one and no way to meaningfully sort them so you have to scroll through everything anyway to find something with better Fire protection".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mass Effect 1 is a poster child for bad inventory management.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

food court bailiff posted:

I love Dark Souls 3 and I love playing Fashion Souls in it but the equipment menus are just a total mess. It's pretty much the opposite problem from Skyrim - whereas Skyrim is like "here's a big loving list of text" DS3 is like "here's a giant grid with literally dozens of associated stats for each one and no way to meaningfully sort them so you have to scroll through everything anyway to find something with better Fire protection".

The mistake is trying to find something with better fire protection instead of sticking to fashion souls and being the best dressed

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Another Animal Crossing complaint, I finally got around to crafting a wand, which lets you store up a bunch of different outfits to switch to on the fly. But the dark secret is, for some reason they somehow don't count as regular clothes. This comes into play when you're clothes shopping and try to use a fitting room (where the widest clothing selection is, naturally), the game won't let you use it and you have to go back outside to get out the wand and undress. It's such a needless hassle that basically impacts every shopping trip and island visit, to the point where I don't even want to bother having multiple outfits any more, making the wand useless.
Loving the game, but there's quite a few examples of Nintendo's "90% extremely tuned, 10% stupid needless hassle" approach to interface design.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Skyrim: In an un-modded game your inventory is laid out like a loving Ikea catalogue. Heavy armour gets left out in the cold because of the Armour cap.

Skyrim has the shittiest inventory of all time, especially when interacting with containers. The player inventory is at least arranged by type and alphabetically, but the container interface is just random poo poo with no structure.

Once you've chucked a few levels into Light Armour and Blacksmithing you can piss even mid-tier gear over the edge of the vanilla armour cap without difficulty, so you just have less stamina and move slower for no real benefit. Even the unique perks aren't worth that much.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Nioh dumps dozens of pieces of equipment on you per stage, and they almost all have abilities with unintuitive names like “Jelqing evasion +2%” described as “Improves jelqing evasion chance.”

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

the game won't let you use it and you have to go back outside to get out the wand and undress
You can't access the tool wheel inside, but you can open your inventory.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

You can't access the tool wheel inside, but you can open your inventory.

How dare you make me look like a fool Nintendo :arghfist:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I like how some Resident Evil games do item-management. If you've picked up all the resources in a room, barring the odd secret or Easter Egg, then the place is color-coded to be completed. Key Items that have exhausted their use can be discarded without issue. gently caress Resident Evil 0 though, let's not talk about that game.

Games are getting more graphically detailed with every year, but they still need to be games that are focused on delivering on a certain experience. It helps to some visual short-hand to nudge the player onward, as opposed to having detective-vision or the UI travesty seen in every Ubisoft game. They had to tone down the bat-vision after the first Arkham game because it was too useful not to leave on, meaning the game's graphics went to waste and Batman spends the entire run-time punching skeletons.

My problem with The Outer Worlds is that it emulated the open-spaces and loot-system of a Bethesda game, when it should have focused more on the role-playing with intricate outcomes that Obsidian do best in their other games. I prefer it when games narrow their scope to deliver an intended experience. The Witcher wouldn't have worked with a blank-slate player, and Leon Kennedy spends his nights best killing zombies instead of getting distracted by coffee-mugs like that idiot from Shenmue.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

darkwasthenight posted:

Skyrim has the shittiest inventory of all time, especially when interacting with containers. The player inventory is at least arranged by type and alphabetically, but the container interface is just random poo poo with no structure.

Once you've chucked a few levels into Light Armour and Blacksmithing you can piss even mid-tier gear over the edge of the vanilla armour cap without difficulty, so you just have less stamina and move slower for no real benefit. Even the unique perks aren't worth that much.

i was gonna say 'hey it wasn't that bad' then i remembered i was thinking of SkyUI. Oh god vanilla skyrim inventory was so, so bad.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fallout 4 gave more information, but squashed the whole inventory into 30% of the screen.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fallout 4 gave more information, but squashed the whole inventory into 30% of the screen.

Fallout 4's inventory system is the worst in the history of video games

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

Fallout 4's inventory system is the worst in the history of video games

Mass Effect 1 would like a word.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

pentyne posted:

Mass Effect 1 would like a word.

Calling Mass Effect 1's an 'inventory system' implies that it's a system.

Mass Effect 1 is an inventory pile.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's not my genre so I don't actually know. Who decided Resident Evil horror is gross now? It was definitely a big part or RE7 but it's been continuing to happen with these remakes.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Listing Mass Effect 1's inventory management system in a list of worst ever is unfair for the exact same reason that you never rank professionals and amateurs in the same list. I played through ME1 for the first time since 2011 last week and it's not as bad as you all remember.

It's worse. It's so much worse. There's no way to deal with items collectively. So every 3-4 hours you have to stop what you're doing and spend 10 minutes very tediously destroying items one by one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DoubleNegative posted:

It's worse. It's so much worse. There's no way to deal with items collectively. So every 3-4 hours you have to stop what you're doing and spend 10 minutes very tediously destroying items one by one.

Oh I see we're talking about the new Assassin's Creed games now

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If you're quick, you can make the little "I'm breaking stuff" sound effects overlap. Yes, that was an awful thing. Why didn't they give you a "destroy all items below purple that aren't engraved" button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RareAcumen posted:

It's not my genre so I don't actually know. Who decided Resident Evil horror is gross now? It was definitely a big part or RE7 but it's been continuing to happen with these remakes.

I think that’s just the better graphics. I mean RE1 was full of rotting corpses chewing on people