Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Look don’t misunderstand me I’m completely on board with the game and its theoretical sequels going balls to the wall insane because it’ll either be a train wreck in slow motion or it has the teeny tiny microscopic remote possibility of pulling it off and that’s fucken awesome too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Look don’t misunderstand me I’m completely on board with the game and its theoretical sequels going balls to the wall insane because it’ll either be a train wreck in slow motion or it has the teeny tiny microscopic remote possibility of pulling it off and that’s fucken awesome too

As long as it’s not a boring train wreck it will own either way.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tallgeese posted:

Just to check if I need to tweak settings, is this supposed to have audio?

No.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I've never played a KH game but a friend told me that in one of them there was a scene where some of the usernames from the KH mobile game flashed across the screen really fast.

It would be cool to do that with salt reddit nerd usernames during the final Omnislash at the very end of the last game.

There's an entire sequence dedicated to it in KH3, but it was also a contest they entered.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just beat hard air buster. Only Tifa alive, whole team on no mp, Tifa on 400hp remaining. What a stressful game! I love it!

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug
I remember being an rpg fan in the late 90s and the hardcore FF7 fans were the absolute worst subset of gamers to interact with. I am de-lighted that the ending of this entirely new game is making their logic circuits overload two decades later.

From what spoilers I've read, I think it's a pretty cool risk to take.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I'm not really down on some of the plot changes, but this video convinced me that it might be good

https://twitter.com/xSyrious/status/1245484885525045253

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Calaveron posted:

Like how do you go on and have a goofy military parade where you teach some guys how to do your arm breaking spinny sword victor pose after fighting and ostensibly defeating the living manifestation of destiny

There's a ton of weird tonal dissonance in the original too, so I'm sure they can figure out a way to tie it together. If anything, what I've seen of the Honeybee Inn segment makes me hope they go even campier for stuff like the parade.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There's a ton of weird tonal dissonance in the original too, so I'm sure they can figure out a way to tie it together. If anything, what I've seen of the Honeybee Inn segment makes me hope they go even campier for stuff like the parade.

Yeah they've turned all that poo poo up to 11 so I can't imagine the dolphin ride is getting cut. If anything the dolphin will be wearing a cape.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I hope they can pull it off, because I adored the original game being unapologetically goofy and I can’t wait how they go from visiting the edge of creation to riding a dolphin up a support strut to participate in a real silly parade

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Edit: Wrong thread, disregard. Didn't realize there was two of 'em.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 7, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Not sure if I missed this in NG but I did another few of the Chadley battle analysis things and now I have a battle to get a Leviathan summon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The new line on Reddit appears to be that calling this a remake is "blatantly false advertising" and that consumers are being cheated.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harrow posted:

The new line on Reddit appears to be that calling this a remake is "blatantly false advertising" and that consumers are being cheated.

I have also seen people screaming about getting a lawsuit against square for "false advertising" only to be reminded that, nah, what they did still technically falls into the purview of 'Remake'

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lmao imagine getting that emotionally worked up over a video game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Square really is playing with fire here a bit. I mean, think about just how anticipated this is, how excited people were for a remake of Final Fantasy VII believing that it would be faithful to the original, after years and years of people hoping this day would one day come. And even though we all thought it would be terrible, the E3 2019 gameplay reveal and the demo showed that actually it seems like it's going to be good, holy poo poo!

And then

Well, here we are.

I'm expecting some truly apocalyptic nerdrage here. Probably not as widespread as The Last Jedi rage but I'm betting it'll be more intense and longer-lasting. And don't get me wrong, it'll be dumb as gently caress, but oh boy. Hardcore FFVII fans got built up so high and there's gonna be a very sudden drop.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Imagine hunkering down during a global pandemic where the incompetence and malice of numerous world leaders is on track to get countless people killed and the thing you’re maddest about is a questionable narrative decision in a video game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at the same time i think people are really underestimating how many new fans this will bring in. not just people who only ever played the remake. the entire premise of this means that rather than ff7 remake replacing the original, the original is almost supplemental material for it. knowledge of the original enhances your understanding of the remake's new material. there'll be a lot of new people playing the original for the first time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Imagine hunkering down during a global pandemic where the incompetence and malice of numerous world leaders is on track to get countless people killed and the thing you’re maddest about is a questionable narrative decision in a video game.

Nerds are the worst

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If it assuages or changes anyone's feeling about the game, it's only at the end does the plot swerve at a 90 degree angle away from the original. Up until basically storming Shinra it does in fact seem like a really good remake with a few extra mysteries introduced like the plot ghosts and expanded story bits, like Jessie's backstory.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Harrow posted:

Square really is playing with fire here a bit. I mean, think about just how anticipated this is, how excited people were for a remake of Final Fantasy VII believing that it would be faithful to the original, after years and years of people hoping this day would one day come. And even though we all thought it would be terrible, the E3 2019 gameplay reveal and the demo showed that actually it seems like it's going to be good, holy poo poo!

And then

Well, here we are.

I'm expecting some truly apocalyptic nerdrage here. Probably not as widespread as The Last Jedi rage but I'm betting it'll be more intense and longer-lasting. And don't get me wrong, it'll be dumb as gently caress, but oh boy. Hardcore FFVII fans got built up so high and there's gonna be a very sudden drop.

I knew they were never going to do it "right" by these people's definition of "right." But having seen the reviews and reactions, I am satisfied that they did it Right in a way I could've never imagined.

I'm a huge FF7 fanboy, I spent hours torrenting Advent Children and trying to get the lovely subs to work before it was released in North America, but one time I tried, more as a writing exercise than anything, to write a novelization of FF7. And I tried a number of different ways to do it. It never worked, and the reason it never worked is [that I'm a poo poo writer but also] that it's fundamentally impossible to perfectly re-create what made FF7 magical at the time, or even the nostalgia that made it magical on replays. It's a fool's errand to try. The only way forward, to make more than the pale shadow of what came before (with glorious graphics or otherwise), was to make something new, and polarizing, and batshit insane.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hellhouse on hard mode. I know all this thing's tricks. Should be able to *Tonberries shoot out the door*

:catstare:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hell yea this game has tonberries

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

JBP posted:

Hellhouse on hard mode. I know all this thing's tricks. Should be able to *Tonberries shoot out the door*

loving lol this game is awesome

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

JBP posted:

Does hard mode actually have different enemies/patterns, not just cranking up the damage/hp? If so, that's awesome

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Does hard mode actually have different enemies/patterns, not just cranking up the damage/hp? If so, that's awesome

Up to now there have been slight changes, maybe a new big move or greater aggression. This completely caught me off guard and left me laughing/horrified then quickly dead.

Hell house is obviously a labour of love for the devs. Everything about it is just incredible.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What are the biggest wildest story changes? I've read some of the last 3 pages, and I don't wanna click on a clickbait article. I want the straight dope scoops from the sleuths here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

What are the biggest wildest story changes? I've read some of the last 3 pages, and I don't wanna click on a clickbait article. I want the straight dope scoops from the sleuths here.

It's a sequel, not a remake

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Onmi posted:

It's a sequel, not a remake

Well I'll be damned. Glad I heard it here and not from some scallywag on YouTube.

I'm one of those weirdos who is gonna wait and play this later, so spoilers are cool. Other than that notable note there, any key interesting beats throughout the story play out super differently? Other than Sephiroth being around more, and some background characters (forgive me) having different outcomes?

Edit: I read the pastebin thing from the reddit link last page. Sounds kinda cool, but maybe that redditor is just a drat fine storyteller.

The only thing that concerns me is people saying Kingdom Hearts-ish cutscenes, and I don't know that those games are bad or anything, I just gather it means long exposition stuff that is crazy sounding. I watch anime, but I do think "less is more" with some of the mystique and vibe of the story. I'm cool with the idea in general though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 7, 2020

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
So FF7RE is essentially Sephiroth playing a New Game + then?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tupperwarez posted:

So FF7RE is essentially Sephiroth playing a New Game + then?

Sephiroth is Doctor Manhattan

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sephiroth is Doctor Manhattan

FF7 is Infinity War, FF7:Remake is Endgame?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aerith's clothes become more or less fancy in wall market based on how many side quests you do. At least I think this is it. I just skipped them and she's in a basic outfit versus a much more ornate one from my NG run.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What about Tifa's outfits? Am I gonna have to buy a DLC, fighting game style? Put me out of house and home?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah Tifa really gets em out at Corneo's.

I'm pretty sure all the outfits change if you don't do the sidequests at this point.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Can you make Cloud wear the dress for the rest of the game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Apparently there is a photo in the game with Shinra from FFX2 so if you ever wanted that connection made explicit, there ya go.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

maybe a global pandemic and the resultant economic collapse have made people, I dunno, comfort-seeking and irritable

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

maybe a global pandemic and the resultant economic collapse have made people, I dunno, comfort-seeking and irritable

It's just the usual well of nerd rage.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
This is incredible. This is the spirit of 1995-2000 era Fully Psychotic Square erupting out of nowhere. This is going to be better than Spirits Within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Tolth posted:

This is incredible. This is the spirit of 1995-2000 era Fully Psychotic Square erupting out of nowhere. This is going to be better than Spirits Within.

In a graveyard a hand shoots out of the dirt beside a gravestone marked "Squaresoft."