Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's cool, but I have to admit it's not very useful for how I, and I assume a fair few others, do low level characters. Double XP to 22 -> get some fast inf from an alt/selling converters -> craft a bunch of 25 IOs and stop caring about enhancements until 50.

I'm also predicting a non-zero number of people who are going to mindlessly mash that button every single level not realizing how much more inf that costs and then get mad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
"Oh no I outleveled my accuracy enhancers I'm whiffing real bad"
[flexing] HRRRRRGH [plop]
"Okay ready to go"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Fearless_Decoy posted:

[list] * lots of game pad support options

And now I'm envisioning a future where NCSoft successfully brought CoH to consoles.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And now I'm envisioning a future where NCSoft successfully brought CoH to consoles.

I had it setup in the original release between a combination of manually editing the config file and some in game macros.

Left stick to move and turn, right stick for camera. Right stick click to jump.

D pad was each set to open a specific bar, each bar would have 1-4 mapped to a face button and then would swap to 1-4 of the 2nd bar with the left trigger. Then I'd macro my rotation for that character to switch bars when needed.

Shoulder buttons were target next/target closest.

Right trigger + right joystick was move the mouse, right trigger + shoulder buttons were mouse click. Once you got it positioned, teleporting wasn't hard. Definitely needed Hover to go with it though.

It took a bit to learn but

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Relentless posted:

I had it setup in the original release between a combination of manually editing the config file and some in game macros.

Left stick to move and turn, right stick for camera. Right stick click to jump.

D pad was each set to open a specific bar, each bar would have 1-4 mapped to a face button and then would swap to 1-4 of the 2nd bar with the left trigger. Then I'd macro my rotation for that character to switch bars when needed.

Shoulder buttons were target next/target closest.

Right trigger + right joystick was move the mouse, right trigger + shoulder buttons were mouse click. Once you got it positioned, teleporting wasn't hard. Definitely needed Hover to go with it though.

It took a bit to learn but

This sounds pretty loving rad.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

NachtSieger posted:

This sounds pretty loving rad.

There was some Xbox Controller software floating around that let you map things to whatever the hell you wanted, so playing around with Shift+Whatever, Ctrl+Whatever and Alt+Whatever let you get away with a LOT of nonsense.

Still needed to grab the mouse for crafting and leveling and whatnot, but it was great to just sit back as a tanker or scrapper and do your rotation and chillax.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I snagged the name "Porklift" for a pig-themed SS/Inv Brute and I couldn't be happier.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

John Murdoch posted:

It's cool, but I have to admit it's not very useful for how I, and I assume a fair few others, do low level characters. Double XP to 22 -> get some fast inf from an alt/selling converters -> craft a bunch of 25 IOs and stop caring about enhancements until 50.

I'm also predicting a non-zero number of people who are going to mindlessly mash that button every single level not realizing how much more inf that costs and then get mad about it.

New people are still jumping into this game, several MMO players I know started trying it this week for example. Plus, now you don't have to level like that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FrostyPox posted:

I snagged the name "Porklift" for a pig-themed SS/Inv Brute and I couldn't be happier.

I got both Boneflex and Fear Leader the other day on Exelcisor. Very excited for those two.

Champions let you use a controller is a great way. It would draw up a reticle and whatever enemy was closest to it would count as targeted. It made key-heavy sets like gadgets (?) a breeze to play.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Hmm. Single Origins as rewards. They also sell for a lot, so that'll increase the money about.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm Beef Wizard on ex, SS/Bio tank. I mean, I've got 30 characters there, but that's my latest

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

you could already get low-level SOs as rewards from DfB, getting rid of TOs and DOs just makes sense at this stage of the game

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Crasical posted:

"Oh no I outleveled my accuracy enhancers I'm whiffing real bad"
[flexing] HRRRRRGH [plop]
"Okay ready to go"

That sounds really familiar. Like, this mechanic of resetting yourself/your equipment has existed in something else, with flexing/posing too, only I cannot recall where. It's driving me batty.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
What(if any) is the consensus on Lore pets? I remember back on live that the Cimeroran was the preferred pick, but what I mostly see people with these days is a big spikey thing(Rularu?). What do you think?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Brave New World posted:

What(if any) is the consensus on Lore pets? I remember back on live that the Cimeroran was the preferred pick, but what I mostly see people with these days is a big spikey thing(Rularu?). What do you think?

Cimerororans used to be the hands down best, but they got nerfed a bit towards the end of live. They're still pretty good; their attacks debuff defense, making them good for taking down big targets.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
With the Lore pets, it's not as clear cut as it used to be. There's the better than average sets, like Banished Pantheon and the Carnies, but most of the sets these days are viable. Even 'bad' damage sets like the Seers bring large amounts of control power to the party.

I would look at the list of available sets and look past the obvious damage numbers to see if they have something else you may want. The BP set has -Res on their attacks, Cimeroeans have -Def, etc. I took Rularuu Radial on my bots MM because along with the floating eyeball of death it comes with the Brute that has a PBAoE 50% damage buff.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/7842-incarnate-lore-pet-list-photosabilitiesdps-numbers/

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
It seems like most people take Banished Pantheon, because they are gnarly. Just based on what I see.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

This is exactly what I needed! The big spikey thing I'm seeing all over the place is the Banished Pantheon pet.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Crasical posted:

It seems like most people take Banished Pantheon, because they are gnarly. Just based on what I see.
Yeah, they're popular because they're pretty strong, but the main pet is rather big and just does not shut up, so I'm not a fan.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can't tell if I dislike Elec Affinity or it's just that I keep ending up on lovely teams where all of the melee ATs promptly split up so they can go solo opposite ends of the map, something that's already infuriating but also renders EA loving useless.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

I can't tell if I dislike Elec Affinity or it's just that I keep ending up on lovely teams where all of the melee ATs promptly split up so they can go solo opposite ends of the map, something that's already infuriating but also renders EA loving useless.

With a good team, you are going to be overflowing with end while the enemies have zero.

I've seen AVs drained of endurance!

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

John Murdoch posted:

elec affinity's jump range is painfully short in general, but it definitely is a strong power when your party members arent asleep at the wheel.

which is to say it's really bad most of the time because of that.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Loving my savage energy stalker, the attacks are just so drat snappy. Does anyone have a build kicking around for that combo? I’ve got some cash and lotgs, wanted to get a real big boy setup.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The Beta forums are testing the Single Origin thing, but no one's testing from 0. Everyone's testing with lots and lots of money. Which is concerning.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Started playing on HC about a week ago, rolled a Kin/Sonic defender as that is what i played on live back in like 2008 and i had fond memories (and a bit of nostalgia) of it. Kin/Sonic defender is some of the most fun i have ever had in an MMO.

The trek to 10 was fine but after that i hit a brick wall of frustration and lack of progress and i was about to uninstall the game and attribute it all to wrongfully remembering how fun it was but then i saw a call in LFG for support classes to get powerleveled. An hour later i was level 30 and had ~3m to spend on IOs. Since then i have had fun in 8-player groups doing some wildly chaotic missions. It feels like i have done all this before though so while Kin/ is a ton of fun i am looking for something else to play.

Reading through all the other defender primaries, based on how HC gameplay is, what is the purpose of any of them?
With the exception of Rad/ they all seem so pointless. Take Time/ for example. It has a bunch of single target crowd control, in a game where the meta is to run headlong into gigantic packs of enemies and AoE them all down.

I like the playstyle of hanging back and buffing the team, putting out debuffs etc, what other defender powersets lets me do this (and be actually useful)? I like to run 8 player groups, no endgame stuff or hyper specific stuff that needs hyper specific builds (where perhaps all those useless defender sets shine?)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If you think Time of all things is useless then your estimation of powersets is waaaaay off.

Unless I'm totally blanking on a powerset, every Defender primary involves hanging back and throwing out buffs/debuffs/heals and none of them are bad. I'll even stan for Empathy, Force Field, and Trick Arrow. At the very least Dark should be on your radar right next to Rad.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 16, 2020

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

yeah, individual powersets in an AT tend not to be very far apart. the "bad" defender sets are the heal-intensive ones - empathy and pain - because they require you to play reactively in the limited space you have between "teammate getting shot" and "teammate dead". this as opposed to a buffs-only set like FF, which is boring, but strong, because you're mitigating damage constantly without having to do anything besides keep your buffs up

Time IIRC is powerful because it has little bits of everything - you have buffs to cast on your allies, debuffs and even some control effects for your enemies, and healing to fix situations that go wrong

single-target CC is useful for two reasons:
1) lieutenants/bosses/villains have increasing levels of CC resistance over minions, and the way to get them CCed is to stack multiple effects to overtop their resistance
2) sometimes you just need target motherfucker to stop for a minute

if you want to play CC, play a controller or a dominator. controllers are more defense-oriented, dominators are more dps-oriented. (also dominators will never get Illusion Control, because it'd be too much damage)

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Bloodly posted:

The Beta forums are testing the Single Origin thing, but no one's testing from 0. Everyone's testing with lots and lots of money. Which is concerning.

Given that you can get 400K for selling a single piece of orange salvage, I think the testing has been reasonable.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Started an ice/ice scrapper yesterday and hoarfrost has a default recharge of 5 minutes, that... is not useful.

Also loled and quit the DFB after this defender hosed our badge run twice. First time, okay I didn't specifically say AV only, just no aoe, damage auras, cones, Mu or confuse.

Explained what they did wrong because everyone fucks up now and again.

Second pass through same player is using single target attacks to kill cadavers and tried to pull the "oh i didn't know" card again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's the standard recharge all Dull Pain-style powers have. The main benefit isn't the heal but the 2 full minutes of extra max HP.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a way to double-box in Homecoming?

I have a farm character and I'd like to make my alts sit at the door.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a way to double-box in Homecoming?

I have a farm character and I'd like to make my alts sit at the door.

Yeah, it's not terribly hard. The method I use is HotkeyNet and some rudimentary commands to make my secondary character fire off attacks when the main does, but I guess there's no reason you couldn't just group up your two accounts and park the low-level one at the door.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

That's the standard recharge all Dull Pain-style powers have. The main benefit isn't the heal but the 2 full minutes of extra max HP.

Oh, I didn't realize it lasted 2 minutes, yeah, that recharge isn't so crazy now. Just got spoiled by bio armor

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Started playing on HC about a week ago, rolled a Kin/Sonic defender as that is what i played on live back in like 2008 and i had fond memories (and a bit of nostalgia) of it. Kin/Sonic defender is some of the most fun i have ever had in an MMO.

The trek to 10 was fine but after that i hit a brick wall of frustration and lack of progress and i was about to uninstall the game and attribute it all to wrongfully remembering how fun it was but then i saw a call in LFG for support classes to get powerleveled. An hour later i was level 30 and had ~3m to spend on IOs. Since then i have had fun in 8-player groups doing some wildly chaotic missions. It feels like i have done all this before though so while Kin/ is a ton of fun i am looking for something else to play.

Reading through all the other defender primaries, based on how HC gameplay is, what is the purpose of any of them?
With the exception of Rad/ they all seem so pointless. Take Time/ for example. It has a bunch of single target crowd control, in a game where the meta is to run headlong into gigantic packs of enemies and AoE them all down.

I like the playstyle of hanging back and buffing the team, putting out debuffs etc, what other defender powersets lets me do this (and be actually useful)? I like to run 8 player groups, no endgame stuff or hyper specific stuff that needs hyper specific builds (where perhaps all those useless defender sets shine?)

There's a lot to unpack here...

If you like teaming(like most of us do) you should be running Task Forces or doing radio teams instead of farming in AE- You'll probably enjoy the game even more. Farming is a niche activity which this thread loving loves for some weird reason. Most people don't level that way. There are TFs advertising every 2 minutes in LFG. Hop on board.

Homecoming's economy is controlled in such a way that getting what you need is cheaper than it was on live. Farming is completely unnecessary if you have even a modicum of patience.

Time is near the top of the Support sets. It's numbers are great. Slowed Response is an AoE Defense Debuff. Farsight is a team-wide Defense & ToHit buff, and Chrono Shift is team-wide regen and recovery boost. It also has two heals, one ST the other PBAoE. Then you can add on the other single target hold and slow powers.

All support sets are really good Force Multipliers for any team. Empathy and Force Fields are usually considered to be the "worst", but even those are more than adequate.

Outside of AE, *LITERALLY* no one cares about specific builds. Everything is considered to be viable. It's nice to have at least one support and one tanky melee toon on every team, but no one considers it to be absolutely necessary. In fact, players that focus too much on "do we have a healer?" are almost always outing themselves as being complete noobs.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Probably going to play this again, I was playing when this all went live last year but life got me good.

Where's the majority of ya'll playing and which discord is the best to chat in? (not sure if OP is up-to-date)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Excelsior is where the action is now.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I think the SA Gamers discord link is fully broken, but we still talk on Kuhullan's server

and yeah, everyone still on Indom is talking about moving to Excelsior anyway

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
I'm personally chillin' over on Everlasting because then you get the classic CoH experience of 5 different flavored bios per group all of extremely dubious quality. One is typically some sort of succubus.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
I used to have a Poison defender named Quiltsharts.

But I'm looking to reroll something supporty whether it's a tank / cc / another defender, what's the need right now? (Assuming always healers). Though I'm Aussie anyhow not sure how much I'll get to play with yall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Porklift now lives on Excelsior as well