Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Playing from 769/867 to the end.

Oh man but I love doing that just for fun. It's probably easier when you RP in your head more than blob though. I've done 769-1453 twice; first time was non-Ironman as the Basque house Louping. Second time was ironman as house Participazio in Venice. Playing that early as an MR seemed to make it harder to expand, especially since all the other MRs tend to be in the Byzantine Empire. It's fun picking apart Lombard Italy though. I think I documented most of that run in this thread too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

you can change succ laws immediately after changing crown laws if you meet all the requirements.

Cool, this turned out being very easy to get through. High Crown was approved almost immediately and I only had to bribe a couple of counts to get them on side. I was even able to make it happen in Bohemia. Then my ruler promptly died because I forgot he was Infirm.

So now imbecile son is in charge and immediately eating a huge usurper faction from matrilineally married daughter. I'm like -50 on opinion with everyone that matters. I may need to eat the usurpation and re-unite the country once imbecile ruler's son takes over. Problem is Bohemia will probably want independence or something too. poo poo. Should have gotten imbecile son killed.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Look Sir Droids posted:

Cool, this turned out being very easy to get through. High Crown was approved almost immediately and I only had to bribe a couple of counts to get them on side. I was even able to make it happen in Bohemia. Then my ruler promptly died because I forgot he was Infirm.

So now imbecile son is in charge and immediately eating a huge usurper faction from matrilineally married daughter. I'm like -50 on opinion with everyone that matters. I may need to eat the usurpation and re-unite the country once imbecile ruler's son takes over. Problem is Bohemia will probably want independence or something too. poo poo. Should have gotten imbecile son killed.

were you able to change your succession law? what’d you go with?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

binge crotching posted:

Playing from 769/867 to the end.

I’ve invested 100s hours of my life into this game - all ironman - and still never managed to finish any game from 1066 never mind the earlier starts.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

were you able to change your succession law? what’d you go with?

Yes, I was able to do it immediately. Got it over to primogeniture.

Update: I had to fiddle with it a bit, but I had imbecile son grant his son Bohemia right off the bat. For some reason I could not do this until I gave him one of my own holdings. I ended up having a revolt for the matrilineal sister, but I had been saving money expecting that so I merced it to death. And in the process, I had imbecile son as a flank commander with his 0 marshal. He got in two duels, won one with -50 personal combat skill, and that left him horribly disfigured and severely injured. He died right after the war and Bohemia son inherited everything. Made Pomerania my primary title again, boom, everything back to normal.

Vassals not happy though, but half of them are in jail now. I forgot to arrange Bohemia son's marriage first, so he did that on his own in the interim, and he has an illegitimate son already. Not his own. His wife cheated on him.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So, uh, are crusades supposed to be this lucrative? because at this point the middle east has just become a giant gold/prestige/piety pinata and my ireland game has just become a cycle of crusade>figure out what to spend my nigh infinite money on>crusade

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

How does one Crusade? Can you just send a token force down there and rake it in by piggy backing on larger armies? I've chickened out both times the Pope has called one. I def can't afford to send all my demesne troops down there. My political situ is always too dicey when the Crusades are called.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You should definitely at least send a token force so you can slap yourself in as commander for a day and get the Crusader trait.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ive also figured out one of the easiest ways to get rid of troublesome powerful vassals is to make them into spymasters (the shittier their intrigue the better) and send them to spy on the muslims/Byzantines who will inevitably throw them in prison forever

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Oh man but I love doing that just for fun. It's probably easier when you RP in your head more than blob though. I've done 769-1453 twice; first time was non-Ironman as the Basque house Louping. Second time was ironman as house Participazio in Venice. Playing that early as an MR seemed to make it harder to expand, especially since all the other MRs tend to be in the Byzantine Empire. It's fun picking apart Lombard Italy though. I think I documented most of that run in this thread too.

Hah yeah, I'm in the same boat as you, on that. To be honest, now that I think about it, the only start date I haven't got that achievement for is the 1066 one. :v: (Although pre-ironman/-achievements I did complete an Irish MR game from 1066>1453. I also imported it into EU4 and continued it through that, too)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

AnEdgelord posted:

Ive also figured out one of the easiest ways to get rid of troublesome powerful vassals is to make them into spymasters (the shittier their intrigue the better) and send them to spy on the muslims/Byzantines who will inevitably throw them in prison forever

Oh I’m definitely doing that. Bet it works making them your court chaplain and sending them there to proselytize.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Jabor posted:

You should definitely at least send a token force so you can slap yourself, your sons, and all your powerful vassals in as commander for a day and get the Crusader trait to get a massive opinion boost forever

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Don't you get a huge opinion boost just for being on crusade? Also same faith won't attack you either. Just go on crusade lol.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Don't you get a huge opinion boost just for being on crusade? Also same faith won't attack you either. Just go on crusade lol.

if you’re neighbors with some powerful infidels then it can leave you pretty vulnerable to send a sizable force.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Where does the money etc. that gets distributed after a Crusade come from? Does it just get generated out of thin air?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

if you’re neighbors with some powerful infidels then it can leave you pretty vulnerable to send a sizable force.

How many Christians are in that position come crusade time? At 1066 there is barely a handful. If you're still hanging on by the skin of your rear end after playing for 150 + years at the earlier dates then you are probably a noob and should just Leeroy Jenkins it and learn something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

Where does the money etc. that gets distributed after a Crusade come from? Does it just get generated out of thin air?

I've never been very clear on this - I think it comes from the various donations that people can make to the crusade effort, which includes the Pope, but I feel like the way the numbers work out there is some "out of thin air" gold in there as well because often the starting amount of money in the pool is something like "2500" or some other very "a designer set this as a baseline" number.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Remember the Pope literally is constantly vacuuming up taxes from every Catholic bishopric on the map that likes him better than their current liege. He's got shittons of gold most of the time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

megane posted:

the initial bomb of prestige and piety are generated from thin air, based upon the moral authority of catholicism at the time the crusade is called. after that, rewards are donated by rulers or the pope himself to sweeten the pot for everyone else.

the big balance change for holy fury was that initial prestige and piety bomb. if catholicism has any kind of moral authority, it's sizable enough to get AI rulers interested, which will mean that it snowballs to more AI rulers, and before you know it it's a full on catholic clown car.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ah, okay. It does seem pretty nuts, you can easily end up with disgusting piles of cash.

Shame the other religions don't get to use the Big-rear end Shield Screen for their GHWs. Jihad are pretty anemic in comparison.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the intensity of other kinds of GHW don't even compare, yeah. jihad will always force me to abandon my current offensive actions, but beyond that it's tuesday. crusades chill my guts to ice every single time.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How many Christians are in that position come crusade time? At 1066 there is barely a handful. If you're still hanging on by the skin of your rear end after playing for 150 + years at the earlier dates then you are probably a noob and should just Leeroy Jenkins it and learn something.

iberia?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Remember the Pope literally is constantly vacuuming up taxes from every Catholic bishopric on the map that likes him better than their current liege. He's got shittons of gold most of the time.

The Pope's personal loot is considerable, but Crusades are chiefly funded by rich merchants who aren't represented on a game level. The rest is donations from people buying piety, sometimes because they can't go on Crusade and don't want the Pope to get pissed at them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

To counterbalance things, as long as you have boats it's ridiculously easy to defend yourself against Crusades vs Jihads. You know when a Crusade will come down, so just have your men ready to take a Roman vacation and siege the pope down for an easy war. Meanwhile the Caliph will actually have a kingdom/empire so you actually need to fight it out.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stupid question, probably, but does the Caspian count as a sea for merchant republic purposes?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Stupid question, probably, but does the Caspian count as a sea for merchant republic purposes?

It actually counts as a river. You can only enter it by boat if your religion allows river sailing and you can't build trade posts there.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 7, 2020

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Eimi posted:

To counterbalance things, as long as you have boats it's ridiculously easy to defend yourself against Crusades vs Jihads. You know when a Crusade will come down, so just have your men ready to take a Roman vacation and siege the pope down for an easy war. Meanwhile the Caliph will actually have a kingdom/empire so you actually need to fight it out.

they fixed the whole siege rome to win crusade thing, i think

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Various Meat Products posted:

It actually counts as a river. You can only enter it by boat if your religion allows river sailing and you can't build trade posts there.

well, poo poo. thanks, dude

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

Oh I’m definitely doing that. Bet it works making them your court chaplain and sending them there to proselytize.

you can also make a bad steward collect taxes to get his rear end kicked by peasants

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

A Crusade got called again, but of course I was in the middle of a revolt. And my ruler was underage. Before I could wrap it up, the Pope got mad. Lost 200 piety. Then a peasant revolt happened. Put it down quickly. Finally turned 16, sent a token force down. Pope got mad again while I was on the way. I'm in negative territory on piety now. My token force hit a doomstack, and the Crusade ended. I got like 2000 gold and I'm +800 in piety now. Check my character traits? Excommunicated. Wtf. I had tried to declare repentence before the Crusade was up. I said no to the prestige hit. And I never could get the option to ask again.

Well, doesn't matter. The Black Death is sweeping through and that ruler died. Now I am a 2 yr old girl.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

A Crusade got called again, but of course I was in the middle of a revolt. And my ruler was underage. Before I could wrap it up, the Pope got mad. Lost 200 piety. Then a peasant revolt happened. Put it down quickly. Finally turned 16, sent a token force down. Pope got mad again while I was on the way. I'm in negative territory on piety now. My token force hit a doomstack, and the Crusade ended. I got like 2000 gold and I'm +800 in piety now. Check my character traits? Excommunicated. Wtf. I had tried to declare repentence before the Crusade was up. I said no to the prestige hit. And I never could get the option to ask again.

Well, doesn't matter. The Black Death is sweeping through and that ruler died. Now I am a 2 yr old girl.

The Pope really likes to excommunicate people who refuse a call to a crusade unless he already really likes you. Although often you can get said excommunication lifted by joining the crusade so the timing must have been weird on it for you to still have it after the crusade was over.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I cannot complete SPQR, I have conquered most of Europe as an Immortal Hellenic God King of Rome. However for some reason it refuses to fire and the save file keeps crashing. I am sure its something stupid like a single independent Holy Order Barony ruining the achievement which makes me sad.

Legend of the Indo Norse, took 4-5 tries, but finally got it

Haestein of Nantes. > Crete > Africa > whatever small power within diplo range of Sri-Lanka > Prepared Invasion of Sri Lanka > 1 province becomes norse from an invasion so set that to your cap and form Kingdom of Sri Lanka. I tried to play on, but it ended up a nightmare all my kings kept dying of disease in their early 20's and a big blob formed north of me I couldn't deal with.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 7, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Holy poo poo the plague lasted for almost a whole decade. My 2 year old ruler contracted it and was cured. I went through a councilor a week. I had like 32 people in my court, now I have 8.

Got rid of some troublesome vassals though. My ruler is almost come of age and she has....no traits. Not a single trait.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

Holy poo poo the plague lasted for almost a whole decade. My 2 year old ruler contracted it and was cured. I went through a councilor a week. I had like 32 people in my court, now I have 8.

Got rid of some troublesome vassals though. My ruler is almost come of age and she has....no traits. Not a single trait.

The plague has cleansed her of her sins. She is the blank slate upon which the new world will be written.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Reaper's Due made the plague a lot less deadly. I remember starting as Lombardy in a fairly late start and my entire family line was wiped out in a couple years.

Pandemics suck.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Pandemics suck.

Saddest thing is your character being on quarantine, meanwhile irl being on quarantine

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

benzine posted:

Saddest thing is your character being on quarantine, meanwhile irl being on quarantine

Both the best and worst post.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Are there any good video LPs of CKII? I've just started getting into the game and would like to learn more about the mechanics (beyond the basics) and see how others play the game. Sorry if this gets asked often, I checked the OP and the LP Archive, but the only ones I found were image LPs, which I don't have the attention span for any more.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

A ‘good’ video LP of Ck2 is a very squishy thing because the game is frequently not that exciting to watch in a basic sense so you have to do something to keep it interesting. Some folks edit out the boring parts (which can make the action jarring), others adopt some sort of schtick (which can be annoying and detract from the game), etc. A lot of the recommendation will depend on what you do and don’t enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Eh! Frank posted:

Are there any good video LPs of CKII? I've just started getting into the game and would like to learn more about the mechanics (beyond the basics) and see how others play the game. Sorry if this gets asked often, I checked the OP and the LP Archive, but the only ones I found were image LPs, which I don't have the attention span for any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMtkcXS3QJM

Here is a noob tutorial by quill18 that is up to the current patch. Watch it and go from there. I remember him being good years ago when I watched LPs to learn things.