Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Probably busting up more wood for the fire without an axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

They're rubbing sticks together to start a second fire.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's tough work, but that's how you get a forest fire going.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's like that video of the dog with the long stick trying to get through the gate

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you go camping a few times a year you're almost guaranteed to see that in real time.

A couple dudes will do it successful with some rotten branches and as they get drunker someone finds a trunk and convinces someone else to do the same thing and thus that video.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah can confirm I’ve seen that in person. Usually the people get the wind knocked out of them and they spend the rest of the day groaning.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Still confused about the small fire their plan apparently involved running through.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Still confused about the small fire their plan apparently involved running through.

the plan involved copious amounts of alcohol, does this help? :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey, at least this activity follows social distancing guidelines, they’re doing great imo.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
It finally happened, Mr OSHA nearly lost a finger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGnyaR2B7s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there anything gross in the video? I got to him starting to describe what happened and stopped watching.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfC2lidXiMY

From the short article I saw, the crane operator survived with minor injuries.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

Is there anything gross in the video? I got to him starting to describe what happened and stopped watching.

Nah, he just describes it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Beep beep, coming through!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ptiuGpuOm/?igshid=197raumvkds57

Cargo ship hits unloading cranes on the docks, cranes decide to be more like their namesake bird-friends and take a step into the water.

e: 2 cranes derailed, 1 collapsed, and another ship rammed.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 6, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

The injury starts with "I started to clean it while it was spinning" which should tell you exactly what happened.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

The injury starts with "I started to clean it while it was spinning" which should tell you exactly what happened.

mhm

"this part" is the apron leadscrew and yes he was doing it with a rag

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

mhm

"this part" is the apron leadscrew and yes he was doing it with a rag

"Don't try this at home kids!"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Fumble posted:

It finally happened, Mr OSHA nearly lost a finger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGnyaR2B7s

e: oh wait lol he fixed it himself...LOL, hope it doesn't get infected or nerve damage.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 6, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you watch the video you will find out that the coughing is because of pollen, and he did not go to the hospital after having his finger ripped open because he was concerned about covid-19 and about distracting the doctors, so he fixed it himself in the bathroom with iodine and butterfly sutures

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've seen more than enough gory photos of people getting obliterated on lathes to know never to gently caress with one like that

Jesus Christ he got lucky

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
You guys don't get it, getting injured is just a part of being a "maker".

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
creation requires destruction

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
If you don't lose at least one finger for every 3d printed buttplug you make, you aren't trying hard enough.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LifeSunDeath posted:

If you don't lose at least one finger for every 3d printed buttplug you make, you aren't trying hard enough.

But I thought the idea of printing butt plugs was that you didn't need to risk your fingers up there?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I do not understand how people can be so blasé about power tools. They scare the gently caress outta me

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kith posted:

<snip>

I don't even understand what the plan was here.

Break the log into more-easily-burnable bits?

Pacra posted:

the plan involved copious amounts of alcohol, does this help? :v:

Small disruptive element in their master plan...

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 6, 2020

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

I did not know 3D printed butt plugs were a thing and while I have nothing against the concept I'm neither surprised nor happier for knowing this.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ZeusCannon posted:

I do not understand how people can be so blasé about power tools. They scare the gently caress outta me

Especially the lathe! The lathe wants to kill you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ixian posted:

I did not know 3D printed butt plugs were a thing and while I have nothing against the concept I'm neither surprised nor happier for knowing this.

As an aside, please don't use 3D printers to make anything that could come in contact with a mucous lining or for any sort of food consumption. The process of 3D printing something leaves lots of tiny surfaces for bacteria to hide in, and cleaning the part sufficiently to make it safe to consume anything off of it or insert it anywhere sensitive is not really feasible. Theoretically you can seal a 3D printed object with a resin or something that is foodsafe or nontoxic, but otherwise it's a bad idea.

It's one of the reasons the 3D printed ventilator valves are a bit sketchy; properly sanitizing/sterilizing them isn't something that's tenable. That being said, an improperly sterilized valve is preferable to certain death with no valve at all, but it's definitely not ideal.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dirk the Average posted:

It's one of the reasons the 3D printed ventilator valves are a bit sketchy; properly sanitizing/sterilizing them isn't something that's tenable. That being said, an improperly sterilized valve is preferable to certain death with no valve at all, but it's definitely not ideal.

The basic idea behind the 3D-printed ventilator valves factors in "cheap enough to be disposable".

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

You want to sanitize things before you use them as well.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dirk the Average posted:

As an aside, please don't use 3D printers to make anything that could come in contact with a mucous lining or for any sort of food consumption. The process of 3D printing something leaves lots of tiny surfaces for bacteria to hide in, and cleaning the part sufficiently to make it safe to consume anything off of it or insert it anywhere sensitive is not really feasible. Theoretically you can seal a 3D printed object with a resin or something that is foodsafe or nontoxic, but otherwise it's a bad idea.

acetone dip or vapor treatment can buff this problem right out, depending on the plastic you use

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

The one you're probably thinking of is actually printed out of a medical grade plastic that can be autoclaved.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

As soon as he started off with "So this is my lathe..." you knew where it was going.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Nq38KRq.gifv

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ZeusCannon posted:

Years and years of using them without incident, you start to relax and unconsciously push limits and skimp on safety habits

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

haveblue posted:

Years and years of using them without incident, you start to relax and unconsciously push limits and skimp on safety habits

desensitize and face to bloodshed

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/JucikaDaily/status/1246094129471332353

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfC2lidXiMY

From the short article I saw, the crane operator survived with minor injuries.

I'm no boat driver and I imagine nobody knows at this point anyways but did they just forget to shut off the engine or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

I'm no boat driver and I imagine nobody knows at this point anyways but did they just forget to shut off the engine or what

Boat driver forum suggests they were just coming in way too fast

https://forum.gcaptain.com/t/milano-bridge-allides-with-gantry-crane-in-busan-today/54901