Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

As I said earlier, I dislike subscriptions because I feel like I'm being coerced into playing whether I want to or not at the time, otherwise I'll be wasting money I've already spent, or at least not making good use of it. If subs work for you then that's great, but not everyone has the same perspective.

:same:

I re-sub for holidays or MSQ but meantime I have a voice in the back of my head telling me I should play FFXIV since I paid already regardless if I have anything to do in-game or not. It could be super basic like doing DR but I do a feel like maybe $13 wasn't worth it if I'm just repeating old content and there's no real update for me as a solo player.

F2P MMO already has managed to add fatigue system so I can't say it's MUCH of a difference just customer service is better in FFXIV than there. Also, they're poisoned by the gacha system for any decent outfits.

For knee-length skirts there's the Plain Long Skirt which is a lvl 1 glam item and I found it easier to just wear shorts/pants when I had a female character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Elder Scrolls is a first person game.

Nothing stopping you from playing ESO in first person.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If the FFXIV expansions had come with more free months of play, I would have bought them. It's a decent MMO but not worth a sub imo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FFXIV is a single player game with lots of people in it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

FFXIV is a single player game with lots of people in it.

Dude for the last time you don’t get to call every game a single player game just because nobody wants to party up with you

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

Dude for the last time you don’t get to call every game a single player game just because nobody wants to party up with you

lol

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I have to ask, does this mean you like Elder Scrolls games for their first-person combat?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No.

But that's because I don't like the games at all.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

No.

So coming back to your original post you think it’s stupid that elder scrolls online is not more like this thing you don’t like? You think it should be more like this first person game that you can play third person if you want instead of being a third person game that you can play first person if you want. Got it. Cool good points man thanks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Alder posted:

For knee-length skirts there's the Plain Long Skirt

nah, that's ankle length
e: jimquisition today is on xp boosters, and i feel basically the same about subscriptions

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 6, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Comrayn posted:

So coming back to your original post you think it’s stupid that elder scrolls online is not more like this thing you don’t like? You think it should be more like this first person game that you can play third person if you want instead of being a third person game that you can play first person if you want. Got it. Cool good points man thanks.

Why does my liking something have to do with the MMO version of a game being nothing like the series. The perspective is just the most obvious bit.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Groovelord Neato posted:

wow

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i heard wolfenstein can only be a sidescroller, never a fps

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You can't capture the full essence of Elder Scrolls in an MMO, but you can make a boilerplate theme park out of it and make some dosh, and so they did.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

No.

I never liked those games either but you have to admit there's a cetrain charm in Daggerfall and Morrowind (a little less in Oblivion and a lot less in Skyrim, but still there is some charm)

ESO hosed the franchise over because it is a trivialized watered down version of the single player games.
Even in Skyrim, the world is dangerous and adventurous until you reach midgame (then you start owning everything and the game starts to suck), and that's what's missing from the online game - the sense of danger you feel as a lowbie starting out.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Mr. Pickles posted:

ESO hosed the franchise over because it is a trivialized watered down version of the single player games.
Even in Skyrim, the world is dangerous and adventurous until you reach midgame (then you start owning everything and the game starts to suck), and that's what's missing from the online game - the sense of danger you feel as a lowbie starting out.

Yeah... I have fond memories of starting off in Morrowind and being overwhelmed, excited, terrified, etc. When I tried the free week where you start in Seyda Neen, there was just none of that feeling. Other dumbass players with pets jumping around everywhere and no meaningful challenge in wailing away at sacks of HP. The world was gorgeous but the immersive part was cut right out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

I never liked those games either but you have to admit there's a cetrain charm in Daggerfall and Morrowind (a little less in Oblivion and a lot less in Skyrim, but still there is some charm)

It's a shame they didn't stick with Morrowind and went with more generic fantasy as it went on - it had one of the more interesting worlds in fantasy gaming.

And yeah I can't talk poo poo about one of the all-time greatest final bosses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-K2rUP86M

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Freakazoid_ posted:

You can't capture the full essence of Elder Scrolls in an MMO, but you can make a boilerplate theme park out of it and make some dosh, and so they did.

It seems exactly like where the series is at to me. You run around a really big area doing random poo poo because you want to kill time. None of the characters are particularly memorable and most of the areas are archetypes. But it's an okay way to waste your free time. I'll give them credit that they did a pretty good job replicating the look of Morrowind, but I don't see any real difference between ESO and Skyrim or Oblivion except that more than one person in the entire world is capable of doing a single thing in ESO.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 10, 2020

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Pickles posted:

I mean having played ESO it's definitely easy to get overwhelmed in the early game if you go too hard in the paint.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I've reinstalled ESO like 5 times now and can never get any further than about an hour in before becoming utterly bored out of my mind

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

StabMasterArson posted:

I've reinstalled ESO like 5 times now and can never get any further than about an hour in before becoming utterly bored out of my mind

I've been playing ESO for the first time over the last week and a half. There appear to have been a lot of really odd decisions made with One Tamerial and later. Side quests give one mobs worth of xp making them entirely pointless. Main zone quests are long and only give xp at several break points making the total xp gain pretty low for actually doing story content, especially considering a lot of it is traveling around and talking to multiple people instead of being combat focused. The main story quest is clearly broken up so that you come back to it while leveling through the classic zones, but now the prophet just yells at you as soon as you run 10 feet from harborage to come back and do the next part. The daily pvp and daily dungeon give an absurd amount of xp compared to everything else in the game.

If you're going to go to the trouble of making a lot of story content, make it rewarding to do. If doing side quests and zone quests were as rewarding as doing the daily pvp/dungeon (or honestly just running dungeons regularly) I'd be a lot more excited to do it. Instead when doing story stuff I feel like I'm wasting my time because I'll do 30 minutes of running and talking and get 1/20th of a bar of xp for it.

Also, having to have skills on your very limited to bar to level them sucks. Not only do you have to keep one of several skill lines on your bar at all times while leveling (3 class lines + weapon + off weapon) only giving xp for the active bar means you can't just push stuff you want to level onto the back bar and use skills that work well together. The game really forces you to play sub optimally for the entire leveling process because they have the clunky "must use skill to level it" system which works ok in the single player elder scrolls games but doesn't work well in an mmo with a lot more abilities. Just have all the skill lines level with character level so I can put together a build that's actually fun and not worry about not leveling x or y skill line.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
ESO was one of the games that suffered from loot cave spam. I just love the idea of setting a macro and ignoring my game for 5 hours while my skills level up.

O wait the skills are also capped by player level and loot caves won't work well till I'm done leveling? Sigh. I could just go back to everquest for this abuse.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Frustrated posted:

Also, having to have skills on your very limited to bar to level them sucks. Not only do you have to keep one of several skill lines on your bar at all times while leveling (3 class lines + weapon + off weapon) only giving xp for the active bar means you can't just push stuff you want to level onto the back bar and use skills that work well together. The game really forces you to play sub optimally for the entire leveling process because they have the clunky "must use skill to level it" system which works ok in the single player elder scrolls games but doesn't work well in an mmo with a lot more abilities. Just have all the skill lines level with character level so I can put together a build that's actually fun and not worry about not leveling x or y skill line.

Yeah, they have this weird artificial difficulty, where you basically gimp your options because you want to level skills, so trivial content becomes actually challenging because of whatever ragtag assembly of skills you're currently leveling.

Also having to pay gold to redistribute skill points hampers the enjoyment of the game. Instead of the joy of experimentation you're more or less getting punished by having to pay a non-trivial amount of gold.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

apostateCourier posted:

I mean having played ESO it's definitely easy to get overwhelmed in the early game if you go too hard in the paint.

I did play it too, but quit when I hit lvl 50 because it sucked

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
My favourite memory from ESO was finding a big group of RPers and following them about as they did all their RP junk in local chat.
They'd come up with their own quest line to save some guy's daugther and it was involved.

We sat and listened to them for like half an hour. The rest of the game is junk.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i got bdo for free on steam a month ago and finally got around to it last week and the action combat is pretty fun so far.

no opinion on whether it's good/bad yet, but i'm having fun. community is loving out there tho, and i don't mean this in a good way

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Truga posted:

i got bdo for free on steam a month ago and finally got around to it last week and the action combat is pretty fun so far.

no opinion on whether it's good/bad yet, but i'm having fun. community is loving out there tho, and i don't mean this in a good way
I loved BDO up until 70. The action combat was great, I really liked the life skill poo poo even if it was kinda grindy in the later levels, and the world had a bunch of cool poo poo beyond the starting areas to go explore.
After 70 though the brakes went on hard and it was just like "OK do you want to be competitive? Either grind for weeks of your life or spend money" and I just lost the will. Even with the guild guys who were really chill and helpful, just looking at the numbers I needed to get to the high level content was soul destorying.
And I hear it's even worse now. Which sucks, because I had a load of fun doing dumb poo poo in that game, but I don't think I'll ever go back to it now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think you mean 60, but you get TRI (+18 or some poo poo?) gear just by hitting level 60 now, so i don't think it's too bad anymore. There's only one tier of gear higher, and the difference isn't that big I think.

I'm still raiding ff14 for my ~serious pve~ needs, but I think I'll be playing bdo when I just want to grind on a field. The pve conent quality seems pretty bad in bdo, but holy moley is the map well made.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

is Rift good again or is it still dogshit?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Frustrated posted:

I've been playing ESO for the first time over the last week and a half. There appear to have been a lot of really odd decisions made with One Tamerial and later. Side quests give one mobs worth of xp making them entirely pointless. Main zone quests are long and only give xp at several break points making the total xp gain pretty low for actually doing story content, especially considering a lot of it is traveling around and talking to multiple people instead of being combat focused. The main story quest is clearly broken up so that you come back to it while leveling through the classic zones, but now the prophet just yells at you as soon as you run 10 feet from harborage to come back and do the next part. The daily pvp and daily dungeon give an absurd amount of xp compared to everything else in the game.

If you're going to go to the trouble of making a lot of story content, make it rewarding to do. If doing side quests and zone quests were as rewarding as doing the daily pvp/dungeon (or honestly just running dungeons regularly) I'd be a lot more excited to do it. Instead when doing story stuff I feel like I'm wasting my time because I'll do 30 minutes of running and talking and get 1/20th of a bar of xp for it.

ESO is basically best played like SWTOR, just for the story.

If you aren't interesting in questing for the sake of questing, just uninstall the game...

On the other hand if you're down to quest for the sake of questing in a massive fairly well made world, it's pretty drat good.

Yes the combat while leveling is clunky but just like SWTOR the normal content is very easy even in crap gear with crap skills.

All the concerns about leveling a specific skill line are kinda moot as well because really if you cared enough about maxing out a line you'd eat an exp scroll and go hang out at a dolmen grind - but then what? You're 50 CP 810 and the best content in the game is still the quests which you can do just as well at level 1 in white gear.

The ESO content beyond the quests isn't special and you don't need to min max to do the quests - and if you don't like the quest - it's not a game worth playing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I thought eso was pretty great for questing and expiration. Having five guilds made it easy to have people to shoot the poo poo with.

I don’t really give a gently caress about endgame anything, that usually seems to be the territory of the most painful people so eso has been pretty great for me.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I jumped to the last two pages hoping for an answer that I could play right now, and not only is that not here, you fuckers are still talking about ESO, same as on page one

a shameful fuckin subforum. now please point me to a good mmo. thx.

(also I have no idea if it was mentioned but someone on page 1 or 2 said an mmo with goals, where once achieved someone goes on a leaderboard, and it stretches the meaning of MMO but Curious Expedition has that in its free Rivals expansion where you can try to outscore other human explorers in each world and also get a high score across worlds, with persistence across worlds)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The genre sucks now. I play conq blade sometimes still and I hear goons love lost oasis

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Eso is good

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Anarchy online is still alive, op. And Everquest 1 as well.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

blatman posted:

is Rift good again or is it still dogshit?

It's still like it was, but Gamigo is actually trying to start pushing out new stuff, so we'll see how it goes. The new developers and CMs are way better at communication though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I jumped to the last two pages hoping for an answer that I could play right now, and not only is that not here, you fuckers are still talking about ESO, same as on page one

a shameful fuckin subforum. now please point me to a good mmo. thx.

(also I have no idea if it was mentioned but someone on page 1 or 2 said an mmo with goals, where once achieved someone goes on a leaderboard, and it stretches the meaning of MMO but Curious Expedition has that in its free Rivals expansion where you can try to outscore other human explorers in each world and also get a high score across worlds, with persistence across worlds)

If I was gonna play an MMO it would be either Eve for that "total immersion in my second life/job" factor, or Guild Wars 2 for the best "theme park" experience.

It still surprises me that nobody's managed to mesh Eve's territory control mechanics and a fantasy world to draw the punters in.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gort posted:

If I was gonna play an MMO it would be either Eve for that "total immersion in my second life/job" factor, or Guild Wars 2 for the best "theme park" experience.

It still surprises me that nobody's managed to mesh Eve's territory control mechanics and a fantasy world to draw the punters in.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
no MMO is good, unfortunately

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

That looks like complete poo poo