Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

potatocubed posted:

On the subject of TTS, I'm going to do my broken record bit and say that it handles cards way better than Roll20 if you're trying to play a card-based game.

But that is basically the only use case where it wins out for RPGs.

Oh yeah this is very true. Roll20 blows for cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

I’m sure this is a dumb question that’s been asked a hundred times - but what’s a good online store for board games for someone that doesn’t really wanna throw money at Amazon?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It would help a lot if you said where you're located physically. I could, for example, tell you to buy from Leisure Games, but that won't help you if you're not in the UK.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
e; whoops, double post.

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

It would help a lot if you said where you're located physically. I could, for example, tell you to buy from Leisure Games, but that won't help you if you're not in the UK.

My bad. I’m in the US (Boston-area to be specific)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Roll20 has definitely progressed a lot since I was putzing around with it I wanna say 5 years ago, though if I actually do the math it's probably even longer. I ran the first session of a dungeon world game over it today. I think I've mentioned it before, but it seems very much a good fit for folks I know as a way of kinda starting at "Well sure, it's a bit like D&D but..." and weening them more into the weirder games I enjoy. I fully accept it's pretty much just "roll 2d6 and wing it: the system" with some d&d trappings but that works for these people pretty well.
I was happy to hear from a more enthusiastic player their husband who joined as a sort of "Well I guess I have nothing else to do," and was pretty much looking for excuses to bail before we started is now very onboard with his first RPG. Geeze do my friends always go with with the 'wacky murder hobo' vibe in the games I run though. I think it's probably because I let them, and the other friends when they GM kinda force everyone to be more serious, so I'm the relief valve where they play stuff like a Joe Exotic inspired ranger, drug running friar, or a tap dancing bard with knives on his feet.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sorry to go back to this but I actually remembered that I have the TBZ illustrated setting book with art of the oni and

totally definitely not aesthetically based on the ainu, not at all

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm working on an RPG for a BYOB RPG podcast to run on the front page which is basically "Post-apocalyptic steam-cyber-punk The Simpsons" and here's the class list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RjdoALWIB1Hjgnqa224eYX19PE6jqHljCS9JYnw4BFg/edit#gid=727150420 classes are made by combining two classes from the list, so you get poo poo like "naruto wizard" or "snack hibbert." you get the unique abilities for both, and two combo powers made by combining one modifier from each class, so your "snack hibbert" has "persistent therapy" and "forage magick."

what does any of this poo poo do? good question. who the gently caress knows, i'm throwing it at the players and daring them to surprise me. no gods no dungeon masters.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I'm working on an RPG for a BYOB RPG podcast to run on the front page which is basically "Post-apocalyptic steam-cyber-punk The Simpsons" and here's the class list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RjdoALWIB1Hjgnqa224eYX19PE6jqHljCS9JYnw4BFg/edit#gid=727150420 classes are made by combining two classes from the list, so you get poo poo like "naruto wizard" or "snack hibbert." you get the unique abilities for both, and two combo powers made by combining one modifier from each class, so your "snack hibbert" has "persistent therapy" and "forage magick."

what does any of this poo poo do? good question. who the gently caress knows, i'm throwing it at the players and daring them to surprise me. no gods no dungeon masters.

So Bartkira then;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SWt6OQ4Nl4

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Oh my g-d that's brilliant. yes. Yes, exactly that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Whybird posted:

I think part of the problem is that at the point a sourcebook tells you how to do it, it stops being surrealism.

Warthur posted:

The problem with games which just lift the surface aesthetics of Twin Peaks or Silent Hill or whatever isn't that they are trying to tell you how to do surrealism, it's that their authors don't understand how to create an original surrealist thing, they're just mimicing some stuff which seemed cool to them at the time when they experienced those media. It's cargo cult surrealism.
Yeah, the example that sticks with me is Heaven & Earth, which suggests stocking your town with eccentric characters, and hoping that people randomly acting eccentric will be Lynchian.

A major problem is that most of the inspirations for these games are not in written form. How do you translate, for example, the cinematography of Tarsem Singh into the act of describing scenes out loud to people sitting at a table with you?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

katatonic posted:

My bad. I’m in the US (Boston-area to be specific)

Check Pandemonium Books and Games when the Pandemic is over.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

Check Pandemonium Books and Games when the Pandemic is over.

Alpha Omega in Quincy is good too.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
:frogsiren:

Hey folks! It's been a good five years, but it is time for me to return to my home planet. I am stepping down as Trad Games moderator and focusing on my game dev work.

As of now, Reene is the new Traditional Games mod. Please see her for all your goon probating and thread renaming needs. I'll still be a regular goon from here on out, but it was an honour rolling with you. :rolldice:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ettin posted:

Hey folks! It's been a good five years, but it is time for me to return to my home planet. I am stepping down as Trad Games moderator and focusing on my game dev work.

As of now, Reene is the new Traditional Games mod. Please see her for all your goon probating and thread renaming needs. I'll still be a regular goon from here on out, but it was an honour rolling with you. :rolldice:
awwwww

congrats on getting out, ettin

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Thanks, Ettin, and congrats Reene!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
F

F

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ettin posted:

cya! sometimes you were good sometimes you were baffingly bad

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Wait, we had moderators?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ettin posted:

So when are you restarting the EP game, now that you've got all this copious spare time?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Ettin posted:

Thanks for all your hard work, Ettin - it's been noticed and appreciated. You've left some big shoes.

The King is dead! All hail the King!

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Grats Ettin! I'm really looking forward to Hard Wired Island.

Now that Eclipse Phase 2e has been out for a bit, what's the general opinion on it? One of my gaming friends says it's mostly an improvement on 1e, particularly in terms of building characters, but still requires a lot of group buy-in to work.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Finally, my time has come.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zeerust posted:

Now that Eclipse Phase 2e has been out for a bit, what's the general opinion on it? One of my gaming friends says it's mostly an improvement on 1e, particularly in terms of building characters, but still requires a lot of group buy-in to work.

Building characters is way easier, you can actually swap between morphs now, they trimmed a bit of fat off the skill list.

In general, it's still a clunky, crunchy mess, just slightly less clunky and crunchy than 1e.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's still got a good bit of jank but it's a smoothing out of 1e in a lot of ways. If you liked what EP was doing and want a less clusterfuck of a system it's 100% worth it.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Reene posted:

Finally, my time has come.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

Smell ya later.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I've taken a look around the forums trying to find some guidance on this, but couldn't, so I'll go ahead and throw it out here.

I'd like to participate and/or DM in a PBP game. However, there isn't much information out there for someone who's never participated in an RPG PBP before - I've had mafia experience, but I'm sure it's nowhere near the same thing. What kinds of tools do DM's get ready? How do they prepare for their sessions? What would I be looking for in players? That kind of thing, I suppose. I really want to run Storm Kings Thunder or Tomb of Annihilation. Possibly Curse of Strahd.

I wouldn't mind being a PC in one either, but it feels very intimidating. So, are there any concise guides or how to's or wikis for PBPosting?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The key is to recruit, build hype, then ghost everyone on page 3.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

tokenbrownguy posted:

The key is to recruit, build hype, then ghost everyone on page 3.

:drat:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

What kinds of tools do DM's get ready? How do they prepare for their sessions? What would I be looking for in players?

This varies a lot by game and format. For PbP you don't need to do a ton of stat prep work because you aren't exactly holding up the game if you just look up/write up stats and stuff when you need them. Generally, you should have an idea of the main plot points and set pieces and themes of your game; easy if you're using a printed adventure path. Maintain a dialogue with your players about their mechanics and their character rp, and work that in whenever possible. For something awful PbP you should be looking for people who seem invested in their character's storyline; not backstory, but an arc for their characters, because those are the people who are more likely to stay invested long term.

DMing is a learning process, but if you talk openly with your players and don't stress out if you do something badly, you should be fine.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lucas Archer posted:

I've taken a look around the forums trying to find some guidance on this, but couldn't, so I'll go ahead and throw it out here.

I'd like to participate and/or DM in a PBP game. However, there isn't much information out there for someone who's never participated in an RPG PBP before - I've had mafia experience, but I'm sure it's nowhere near the same thing. What kinds of tools do DM's get ready? How do they prepare for their sessions? What would I be looking for in players? That kind of thing, I suppose. I really want to run Storm Kings Thunder or Tomb of Annihilation. Possibly Curse of Strahd.

I wouldn't mind being a PC in one either, but it feels very intimidating. So, are there any concise guides or how to's or wikis for PBPosting?

Do Asynchronous Discord instead. Will be able to get a better grip on your players that way because that's going to kill your game in less than 3 pages like others said.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Do Asynchronous Discord instead. Will be able to get a better grip on your players that way because that's going to kill your game in less than 3 pages like others said.

Yeah I've had more luck with ansync discord than forums games. It's harder to ghost when your DM can pm you and ask what's up.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool of sound posted:

Yeah I've had more luck with ansync discord than forums games. It's harder to ghost when your DM can pm you and ask what's up.

And the players can do the same to the DM... Moved towards it the last few months and actually got more RP activity like that than I did on PBPs or even in weekly roll20 games (and it helps a lot with the sheer boredom of quarantine). Disclaimer: A good chunk of those were ERP

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 7, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ettin posted:

I'm pretty sure we still need to tie you up on the night of a full moon and have a level 15 cleric cast Remove Curse on you until you pass your Will save before you can quit.

:colbert:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ettin posted:

Thanks Ettin, and good luck Reene!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm pretty sure we still need to tie you up on the night of a full moon and have a level 15 cleric cast Remove Curse on you until you pass your Will save before you can quit.

:colbert:

this is the trad games forum, not the carcosa forum

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arivia posted:

It can be two things.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

So, this is a weird question, but..

way back just before the release of 4e edition dnd, there was a super long thread on the old wotc forums discussing warlock pacts, comming with examples of how they work and what a pact might look like. this one guy began writing small dialogues between a warlock and his patrons as examples. and eventually it grew into a really wierd and wild narrative eventually decoupled from getting new pacts. I know there was a pdf made to gather it in one place and I once had it.
I anyone has a clue what i'm talking about, do you have *any* idea of where i could dig it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

Look, I support traditional and non-traditional games, so long as it's all between consenting adults