Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bump_fn posted:

what does this mean

it means it occurred in the past op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

anyone use pods? thinking of getting one for home any reccos?
the inlaws got me a nespresso thing a while back. the capsules that you can get for it are garbage. but they also got me a bunch of refillable capsules that you put your own, good coffee beans in. with those it makes decent coffee that's quite like an espresso

so i'm reasonably happy with it but i wouldn't get one for myself, just buy a moka pot for a tenth of the price, a fifth of the counter space, and get drat fine coffee at home. if you want an actual espresso go to a shop

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 6, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
but actually i've been using my aeropress almost exclusively the last few weeks and it's v good. just finished an aeropresso and thinking about another

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Agile Vector posted:

thats my understanding. i try to be more mindful of watching the pour to not get the gunk and that seems to be fine

same. i still goober it up though.

Jonny 290 posted:

for lack of a better term, rotor and stator

i understand this :patriot:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

bean time

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hell, same

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I made an affogato with breakfast cause im a naughty little boy

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
just aeropressed

fyi the big problem with blade grinders is the inconsistency. burr grinders will crush to a much more standard particle size, and best of all you can dial it in (different types, processes, and ages of coffee seeds /will/ taste differently with different grinds, it's cool). blade grinders get the job done, but once you go burr, you'll never go whirrr

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
if you're a real true seedhead you can get to an even more standardized particle size by using a set of fine mesh filters to get really precise

some people will even layer different particle sizes from different coffees for a really artisanal brew (e.g. 10g of some 600-micron ethiopian seed particles and 5g of, say, some south american at 400microns). people have won barista competitions with this kinda stuff. me, all coffees are beautiful but i'll die happy if i get ethiopian seeds forever (lol coffee will be extinct well before i die, and that's if i'm quote-unquote lucky)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jonny 290 posted:

nooooo
like per ounce of water for the initial brew you use WAY more yes

but

oh my god yall arent drinking cold brew straight right

like you are supposed to dilute it 4:1 after you brew it

you will DIE just pouring cups of straight up cold brew on ice with a splash of milk

i thought a 10/1 ratio of grinds to water was enoguh that you dont need to dilute it but i also dont drin kthat much? but i fotget what the og recipe is

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Ethiopian beans are good

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
hot coffee + dutched cocoa powder + a little more sweetener&cream than usual = a happy fatty (me)

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Ethiopian beans are good

Agreedo.

I went back and forth and realized that I like beans from Africa much more...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Why not just shake the blade grinder a couple of times (like a cocktail shaker) until you stop hearing beans getting chopped?

:shrug:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Schadenboner posted:

Why not just shake the blade grinder a couple of times (like a cocktail shaker) until you stop hearing beans getting chopped?

:shrug:

that does get better results, but at the end of the day everything just ends up randomly-sized

plus there are differences between slicing vs. crushing in terms of what the end result looks like (surface area for water etc)

tl;dr just use a burr grinder. blade grinders were made to be cheap, not effective.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

French Canadian posted:

I went back and forth and realized that I like beans from Africa much more...

idk what's going on in south america but i swear the seeds i've gotten out of like honduras and ecuador have been much fruiter and african-feeling than past years; maybe climate change or something?

still, yeah, ethiopian and kenyan seeds 4 lyfe

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

psiox posted:

idk what's going on in south america but i swear the seeds i've gotten out of like honduras and ecuador have been much fruiter and african-feeling than past years; maybe climate change or something?

i think african strains are sometimes grown on this side of the atlantic because pests over here don't target them like the do in the region they're from

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

President Beep posted:

i think african strains are sometimes grown on this side of the atlantic because pests over here don't target them like the do in the region they're from

yeah, at least e.g. gesha grown in south america is usually fantastic

(kinda funny that the name comes from an ethiopian city, and man does it Rustle My Seeds to see it spelled 'geisha')

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

psiox posted:

yeah, at least e.g. gesha grown in south america is usually fantastic

(kinda funny that the name comes from an ethiopian city, and man does it Rustle My Seeds to see it spelled 'geisha')
a place I order coffee from sometimes (Corvus, in Denver) sells this in small batches and it’s GOOD

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

a place I order coffee from sometimes (Corvus, in Denver) sells this in small batches and it’s GOOD

whoah, I've had stuff from Corvus before and it was pretty good

might go ahead and order some of this new batch of gesha! https://www.corvuscoffee.com/products/el-fuerte-geisha-bolivia-reserve-150g-tin

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

i use one of these

loud as gently caress but it seems to work well enough.

i have one of these and the little plastic thing you rotate around to clear the grounds has plastic chipped off of it and presumable going into my coffee. i demoted it to spice grinder and got a burr one finally and it does do a better job keeping sludge out of my french press

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

psiox posted:

I love dem fruity flavors but I felt like I didn't get that from Latin America/South America beans???

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

French Canadian posted:

I love dem fruity flavors but I felt like I didn't get that from Latin America/South America beans???
yeah, that's right, but people have bee growing african beans there and it loving Works

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/DannyDeraney/status/1247326087065079809

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
lazy susan of all of them so that i can pick and choose each sip

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

psiox posted:

lazy susan of all of them so that i can pick and choose each sip

But if that's not allowed, 1

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

with the handles all pointing toward the center, something's going to go wrong

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Nothing gets me going in the morning like a hot steamy mug of #8, Elmer's Glue & Wite-Out

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

1 as well and if its 2 – 4 its diner coffee that not very good but not very bad with some cream and maybe a small bit of sugar

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

8 cups of number 1

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also a good range for a diner breakfast after a night of good drinking. a caramel color cup of coffee with eggs over easy on a steak with a side of hash browns and a side of fresh fruit and toast for the table to share

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

wheel! of! FOLGERS!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm trying this flavored coffee creamer I found in the fridge at work.

It's... it's not very good, OP.

:vomarine:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

8 cups of number 1

A nescafe man I see

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

I'm trying this flavored coffee creamer I found in the fridge at work.

why

to every part of this

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

[...] coffee creamer [...] not [...] good

:hmmyes:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

why

to every part of this

as a big old shithead from the midwest i understand why :negative:

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
here come a moka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
look out here come my beans lol