Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

noctua even have 40x20mm and 40x10mm fans so you can make rackmount stuff quieter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol i remember accidentally yanking a socket 939 cpu straight out of the socket when i was trying to pull off the heatsink. got lucky and didn't bend any pins though.

this is still a thing with AMD cpus? lol

yes, this is absolutely still a problem with the AM4 socket, it's a loving relic

that was a 3950x, it survived

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

okay but to be fair to amd whoever did that heatpaste is a monkey

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's just the preinstalled factory thermal paste, mine looked like that too. It was really fiddly to remove all that goop without damaging the pins even more.

It's probably applied by a robot.

https://i.imgur.com/cERKFnO.mp4

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

r u ready to WALK posted:

i made a fan shroud in openscad, there's two 80mm fans behind it sucking hot air from the cpu out of the case

it's neat to see this thing score 7100 points in cinebench and still be almost completely silent, noctua makes good stuff

fans aren't cumulative in series like that, they're just pushing on each other. it will perform just as well with a single fan either on the back of the heatsink under the shroud or on the exhaust port on the case pulling the air through the heatsink and in to the shroud

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

noctua makes good stuff

loving right they do.

It's just the preinstalled factory thermal paste, mine looked like that too. It was really fiddly to remove all that goop without damaging the pins even more.

It's probably applied by a robot.

https://i.imgur.com/cERKFnO.mp4

protip #2: wipe the thermal paste off the cpu while it's mounted in the socket. don't remove the cpu from the socket unless you've got a really good reason.

give the heatsink a slight twist before pulling it up. the cpu won't budge in the zif socket, so the seal of thermal paste will break and you can remove the heatsink without pulling out the cpu

alternative protip: buy a threadripper

they don't ship with an oem heatsink and the latching mechanism screws down

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

fans aren't cumulative in series like that, they're just pushing on each other. it will perform just as well with a single fan either on the back of the heatsink under the shroud or on the exhaust port on the case pulling the air through the heatsink and in to the shroud

for whatever reason noctua actually sells push-pull kits for those tower coolers.

i guess the reason is probably to sell more fans

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I am a messy and clumsy idiot who drops and break things all the time and when I build a PC it's always in haphazard conditions and I never managed to ever bend a single cpu pin even on amds

how the gently caress do you people manage that

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zlodo posted:

I am a messy and clumsy idiot who drops and break things all the time and when I build a PC it's always in haphazard conditions and I never managed to ever bend a single cpu pin even on amds

how the gently caress do you people manage that

i'm guessing it's the same kind of people who, 20 years ago, were destroying motherboards by jamming screwdrivers through traces while trying to install amd heatsinks

some people simply lack dexterity

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

eugh don't remind me how terrible those retaining clips used to be

i never destroyed a motherboard but i've had plenty of scares with screwdrivers that slipped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
IIRC going with a PGA socket for AM4 was a concession to motherboard OEMs in case Ryzen turned out to be as big a flop as Bulldozer so they wouldn't be stuck trying to pay down the cost of LGA tooling using the miniscule profits from their poo poo tier boards that only AMD fanbois would end up buying anyways. AM5 should be an LGA socket like Intel because Ryzen has proven there's a big enough market for AMD boards that have decent profit margin to recoup the extra costs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eugh don't remind me how terrible those retaining clips used to be

i never destroyed a motherboard but i've had plenty of scares with screwdrivers that slipped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4

thermaltake had some coolers that seemed all but designed to destroy either your board or the exposed cpu die.

just stick a slotted screwdriver into this centimeter wide notch with no guards on the side and apply several pounds of force, it'll be fine

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 7, 2020

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i am glad i have only ever dinked around with CPUs that were in slot format or that came with sturdy heat spreaders. an exposed core sounds like the kind of thing i would fat-finger and crush

burning swine
May 26, 2004

SRQ posted:

okay but to be fair to amd whoever did that heatpaste is a monkey

yeah that was just the pre-applied blob of paste on the wraith prism coolers they package with these chips

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
are monkeys good or bad at applying heat paste?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Vomik posted:

are monkeys good or bad at applying heat paste?

well they eat most of it and it only goes downhill from there

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Mr.Radar posted:

IIRC going with a PGA socket for AM4 was a concession to motherboard OEMs in case Ryzen turned out to be as big a flop as Bulldozer so they wouldn't be stuck trying to pay down the cost of LGA tooling using the miniscule profits from their poo poo tier boards that only AMD fanbois would end up buying anyways. AM5 should be an LGA socket like Intel because Ryzen has proven there's a big enough market for AMD boards that have decent profit margin to recoup the extra costs.

this makes sense

the ryzen socket being end of life is the main reason i went for the cheapest threadripper instead. bought the cheapest motherboard ill get a better one when usb4 is widespread

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

for whatever reason noctua actually sells push-pull kits for those tower coolers.

i guess the reason is probably to sell more fans

It can be somewhat beneficial if you don't have a shroud to guide the path of the air, but yeah for the most part they're just selling you more stuff that doesn't really help unless you're doing xxxtreme overclocking trying to drive 200W through the socket or whatever

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

computers are really quiet nowadays compared to the pentium 4 era. my mom used to make fun of my ~*~big loud computer~*~ and would just laugh when i tried to explain that the dumb thing actually did need all those whiny fans

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You used to be able to chop carrots with Delta fans.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Lambert posted:

You used to be able to chop carrots with Delta fans.

yeah don't get your fingers near deltas

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i fondly recall convincing my mom to paypal a stranger on the internet as part of a group buy of sanyo denki san ace fans because they were like the first good + not deafening fan

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

multigl posted:

yeah don't get your fingers near deltas

delta, the fan manufacturer, used to make datacenter network switches

(yes they used incredible shrieking delta fans for cooling)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Bloody posted:

i fondly recall convincing my mom to paypal a stranger on the internet as part of a group buy of sanyo denki san ace fans because they were like the first good + not deafening fan

hahaha, i totally forgot about the sales pitch i did when i wanted to buy computer stuff as a kid. every time i wanted to buy from a new place i did like an hour of research, so i could provide cross-checked references to mom or dad that yes, this store is real and won't steal your credit card number

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol if you didn’t go down to the computer show and do a real time price comparison between the vendors and pick your machine parts on the spot.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so, lol then

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Management posted:

lol if you didn’t go down to the computer show and do a real time price comparison between the vendors and pick your machine parts on the spot.

i grew up in a town of 900 people

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my household just bought prebuilt gateways and dells which I would trick out with a good graphics card and ram from Best Buy once they got slow, until Newegg came around and then I just bought from there

related: the nvidia riva 128 might be the best bang for the buck graphics card I ever purchased. I ran that thing for so long and it kept up really well

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

hell yeah

got my first computer (AMD of course) at one of those

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just go down to the barn where they're having the computer auction, stand in the sawdust jawing with other operators about their rigs and the price of soybeans, and and pick you out a nice healthy computer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

just go down to the barn where they're having the computer auction, stand in the sawdust jawing with other operators about their rigs and the price of soybeans, and and pick you out a nice healthy computer

back when commodities prices were relatively lower they used to just auction pallets full of equipment. go in with some buds and get a literal truckload of old unix workstations for $500

nowadays there are huge scrappers that will take literally anything to try and extract gold / silver / copper

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i grew up in a town of 900 people

in 1400s europe

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

in 1400s europe

in my day you didn't worry about any of this "plumbing" or "rideshare" razzmataz, you just dumped your filth out the window and beat the servants carrying your divan chair

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in my day you didn't worry about any of this "plumbing" or "rideshare" razzmataz, you just dumped your filth out the window and beat the servants carrying your divan chair

martin luther did indeed write many words about his farts and poops. he was the original Poster

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

martin luther did indeed write many words about his farts and poops. he was the original Poster

martin luther loved pretty ladies, strong beer, and a good fart joke

earthy in a classic german sense

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

martin luther loved pretty ladies, strong beer, and a good fart joke

also antisemitism

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

also antisemitism

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

earthy in a classic german sense

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ive never really gotten christians being anti jew given jesus was a jew and they are also gods chosen people

but then again those kinds of christians believe jesus was white

and also believe in an iron age god too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

ive never really gotten christians being anti jew given jesus was a jew and they are also gods chosen people

but then again those kinds of christians believe jesus was white

and also believe in an iron age god too

gotta source your cringe quotes man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fuckin lol