Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was incredibly sweet, I really liked it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was very very good and clever and yes-I-called-the-twist because there-was-always-gonna-be-a-twist but who cares.

Best 13th Doctor story, yeah?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He’s really got a handle on 13’s voice.

Another one:
https://twitter.com/emily_rosina/status/1247185616246317057?s=21

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Doctor Who: “Woo-hoo,” said the Doctor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I can't believe that years after he left the show and described his time on it as a "death march" Moffat will just pop back in to have the Doctor give a little monologue about the heroic narrative of the show's theme music. This right after RTD revealing that great prologue to Rose. Maybe since these guys are under quarantine now they can do a few more...

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I can't believe that years after he left the show and described his time on it as a "death march" Moffat will just pop back in to have the Doctor give a little monologue about the heroic narrative of the show's theme music. This right after RTD revealing that great prologue to Rose. Maybe since these guys are under quarantine now they can do a few more...

I can't believe that Moffat has a better handle on the specific incarnation that Chibnall created dashing out a couple-page short story than Chibnall himself has had after two full seasons of show running.

I mean, I can, but I shouldn't.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Class3KillStorm posted:

I can't believe that Moffat has a better handle on the specific incarnation that Chibnall created dashing out a couple-page short story than Chibnall himself has had after two full seasons of show running.

I mean, I can, but I shouldn't.

We still don’t know who wrote the Doctor in the cupboard selfie film. :thunk:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

We still don’t know who wrote the Doctor in the cupboard selfie film. :thunk:

I'm confident The Doctor ad-libbed it herself :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/juanmao1997/status/1247648133288353794

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God if that isn't just the sweetest thing :3:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's all fun and games until someone tries to net a Silurian or Ice Warrior

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I need more "Oh, gently caress, one of my old enemies" 13th.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MaddoxProTweets/status/1247846227494014976?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

She’s definitely got the outfit at home.

https://twitter.com/bbc/status/1247930996156219399

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love how actors who take the role end up just straight up becoming the Doctor for real, it's the best :allears:

Well, except Tom Baker who is legitimately just straight up the Doctor in real life and accidentally stumbled into being cast as himself.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I love how actors who take the role end up just straight up becoming the Doctor for real, it's the best :allears:

Well, except Tom Baker who is legitimately just straight up the Doctor in real life and accidentally stumbled into being cast as himself.

As that twitter thread showed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That Troughton pic will never not astound me. The guy was an actual Don Draper and somehow they turned him into Moe Howard.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Deep cuts. I think I choose 4, 6 & 10.

https://twitter.com/dwpageofficial/status/1247651277724672000

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
1/5/10 for me, I think. 1 has some rough edges, but it’s the only Eccleston season we got and he’s still My Doctor. 5 is self-explanatory. 10 was a toss-up with 9, but I think overall it’s the better season even though there are still obvious gems like Heaven Sent.

One thing sorting through those choices did hammer home for me is how Capaldi, Smith, and Tennant all have about a 1:1 good:bad ratio for episodes.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I'm enjoying this gradual in-character tour of Jodie Whittaker's house. Maybe we'll get to see her garden next!

Hmm.... 1, 4 & 10. Eccleston's my favourite modern Doctor, Donna's my favourite modern companion and makes Tennant tolerable, 10 is Capaldi's most consistent season and has Bill and Nardole. I'm not as passionate about Series 5 as others, but if I had a fourth pick it'd be that.

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 9, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

4, 5, 10.

I like Eccleston but with 5 doctors and 3 choices people are going to miss out.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
1, 4, 10 + Day of the Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

4, 5 and probably 8 but maaaaybe 10. I hate to lose 1 though :smith:

Also yes, Day of the Doctor gets kept no matter what :colbert:

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
That's really tricky! The only easy choice for me is series 10: the first five episodes are consistently great, and the dynamics between the Doctor and the companions (including Missy later on) are fantastic.

Beyond that I'll be a bit soppy and say series 1 and 11. They're both quite variable in terms of quality, but I personally find each of those Doctors so exciting to watch. Something about the energy they each bring to the role just appeals to me, and makes even pedestrian stories a bit more fun. It's something I didn't really feel about Tennant or Smith, though I still like them both.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Also yes, Day of the Doctor gets kept no matter what :colbert:

Oh yeah, DotD is a given.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

4, 6, 9.

The second half of 3 has some of the best episodes and greatest moments of the show, particularly the last 2 episodes, but the first half season is too weak and it takes too long for Martha to hit her stride. 4 though, has such a solid run of classic episodes where even the weakest are really good. Donna remains one of, if not the best new series companion. She has fantastic interactions with 10 and a different dynamic, breaking the moonstruck companion in love cycle, and her arc is great and tragic. The return of Davros at the end is probably the second best return of a classic character besides the Master, with Rassilon (as played by Dalton) being a close 3rd.

It was tough choosing between 5 and 6. 5 has such a good run of consistent episodes with the Ponds, though they had some greater moments in 6. On the other hand, the series got so wrapped up in Moffat's worst tendencies for convoluted arcs, tricks, and epic moments moving into twee. 7 would have been a good pick because you get 5 great Pondisodes and then Clara, but Clara and Eleven is just no contest when compared to Clara and Twelve.

8 and 9 was also a difficult choice. 8 has a solid run of great episodes much like 4, but with 9 they balance classically great episodes with a Moffat Mystery Arc which is more subdued than 6 and sticks the landing. And Heaven Sent is one of the best episodes of the series hands down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I chose 6 over 5 because of Rory’s presence. 5 is really good, but Rory being there for 6 sold it. He’s such a good character, deflating the Doctor’s bubble.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

As much as I disliked Moffat's run on DW, I always give the man credit for three things:

1. Encouraging NuWho actors to head over to Big Finish
2. Bringing back Paul McGann so they could film the 8th Doctor's regeneration
3. The Day of the Doctor

And now I have to give him credit for a fourth thing, with this story. :v:. As others have already said, he captured 13's voice far better in one story than her showrunner has managed to. And it was a nice little story that I think kids would especially enjoy. :)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BBC/status/1248270443926171649

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/WhoMinusContext/status/1248326804458389505?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

but Clara and Eleven is just no contest when compared to Clara and Twelve.

I have the complete opposite take. Clara and 11 never really seemed to gel for me until Day of the Doctor at which point their run together was almost at it's end, though I largely blame the decision to keep the Ponds (much as I love them) around for an extra half season for why Clara and 11 didn't really get a chance to find their stride. 12 and Clara, however, I absolutely loved. Their relationship running from it's breakdown to the glorious moment in Mummy on the Orient Express where she sees the Doctor really is absolutely 100% still THE Doctor tells a really good story, and then from there they just seemed to gel perfectly. Though the Danny Pink stuff was hit and miss, I did love her arc of becoming a bit too enamored with the lifestyle and so wrapped up on wanting to be like her own idealized version of the Doctor that she started putting herself into terrible danger. Plus it leads into Heaven Sent where she permeates every second of the episode despite largely not being in it.

I think of Clara/11 a bit like 3/Sarah Jane. Yeah they traveled together and liked each other, but it wasn't until 4/Sarah Jane that the relationship really deepened into something special.

Doctor: So Cyber-Leader, how's isolation treating you? How are you feeling?
Cyber-Leader: ...... EXCELLENT!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 9, 2020

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Man wha t is it with people and wanting to rewrite the doctor who backstory

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Namtab posted:

Man wha t is it with people and wanting to rewrite the doctor who backstory

RTD and Moffat didn’t rewrite the Doctor’s backstory any further than “why did the Doctor leave Gallifrey in the first place?”. Chibnall, however, did a Looms.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I have the complete opposite take. Clara and 11 never really seemed to gel for me until Day of the Doctor at which point their run together was almost at it's end, though I largely blame the decision to keep the Ponds (much as I love them) around for an extra half season for why Clara and 11 didn't really get a chance to find their stride. 12 and Clara, however, I absolutely loved. Their relationship running from it's breakdown to the glorious moment in Mummy on the Orient Express where she sees the Doctor really is absolutely 100% still THE Doctor tells a really good story, and then from there they just seemed to gel perfectly. Though the Danny Pink stuff was hit and miss, I did love her arc of becoming a bit too enamored with the lifestyle and so wrapped up on wanting to be like her own idealized version of the Doctor that she started putting herself into terrible danger. Plus it leads into Heaven Sent where she permeates every second of the episode despite largely not being in it.

I think of Clara/11 a bit like 3/Sarah Jane. Yeah they traveled together and liked each other, but it wasn't until 4/Sarah Jane that the relationship really deepened into something special.

Naw, you misread me a bit. I fully agree, Clara/12 is superior to Clara/11. For the reasons you give, and also because with 12 she became a much more fleshed out character than The Impossible Girl/Perfect Companion Cipher she was with 11.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahh I see, yes sorry my bad I completely misread you.

Still, at least now I've reminded myself I really need to rewatch Mummy on the Orient Express. Oh, and Flatline. Oh and and Last Christmas. Can't forget Heaven Sent either!

So it's agreed, time to rewatch the entire revival!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Honest, possibly dumb question: has there been a story yet where 13 has to rescue a companion in trouble?

e: Oh yeah, Spyfall.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 10, 2020

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Edward Mass posted:

RTD and Moffat didn’t rewrite the Doctor’s backstory any further than “why did the Doctor leave Gallifrey in the first place?”. Chibnall, however, did a Looms.

Did RTD do anything to the Doctor's backstory aside from saying the Master got that way from looking into a black hole? (Way to make fun of fan theories by having the Doctor dismiss the idea that they're secret brothers then come up with something just as dumb.)

The only concrete thing Moffat did with the Doctor I think was establish that they were scared as a child and either were orphaned or sent to boarding school, which is fine. Anything regarding the hybrid is basically inadmissible due to the Doctor saying it to gently caress with the Time Lords (and purposefully poisoned by having Me bring up the half human thing), and stuff about the Doctor being a little girl/stealing a moon/stealing a wife is kept purposefully vague and unreliable.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The "theory" that they were secret brothers was the original plan for the Master's character before Delgado died. That development was so tied to the original ending for Delgado's version of the character, that I don't think it's particularly weird that later showrunners would distance themselves from it, especially considering how long the character has been running without that being revealed. Besides, one thing Rusty can't be accused of is of not keeping things vague: the whole "looked into the time vortex and made him mad" stuff is specifically explained by 10 as something some people think, and even when we learn what caused the Sound of Drums, you can easily handwave that as *not* necessarily the cause of the Master's actions, and something that wasn't even part of the timeline during the early episodes with the character.

The one thing RTD confirmed is that the Doctor did indeed have a family, which should have been obvious to everybody, but some people became really convinced that, in spite of Susan calling him grandfather, no, the Doctor actually just took a random child out for adventures. ALSO LOOMS. I'm surprised that Chibnall went for the "canonize the Morbius doctors" first rather than just introducing the Doctor's son/daughter or something like that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, I thought the original plan with the Master was that he was the Doctor, a byproduct of the Time Lord's forcing 2 to regenerate. Like he was the Doctor's negative and evil side, kind of like the Valeyard before the Valeyard. Then 3 and Delgado Master would have merged back and regenerated or some such

I could have sworn that was the idea at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Burkion posted:

Wait, I thought the original plan with the Master was that he was the Doctor, a byproduct of the Time Lord's forcing 2 to regenerate. Like he was the Doctor's negative and evil side, kind of like the Valeyard before the Valeyard. Then 3 and Delgado Master would have merged back and regenerated or some such

I could have sworn that was the idea at least

There was the planned final Master story (The Final Game?) that was supposed to reveal something like the Doctor and the Master being different aspects of the same psyche or something, but that was cancelled due to Delgado's death. But I don't think the Time Lords and Two's forced regeneration were supposed to factor into that, after all the Doctor does know the Master from before that already in Terror of the Autons.

The secret brother stuff comes later I think, it's hinted at by Ainley at some point and it's a big thing in the cancelled plans for the 90s reboot.