Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

qirex posted:

The fact that the entire country of South Korea is locked the gently caress down* is going to have a big impact on traditionally animated shows, if nothing more than creating a backlog. I think there's going to be a bit of a shakeup of the global animation industry.

* good for them, it seems to be working really well

There will be an impact to be sure, but I was under the impression that a lot of the artists were freelancers that worked remotely anyways.

In a country like South Korea with high speed internet everywhere, I would think a lot of these studios could transition a lot of work to be remote if they weren't setup for it already.

It's actually been fascinating to see production workflows adapt. For example, all of the late night shows are up and running and producing new episodes now 100% remote. It took them about a week and a half to get that production workflow down. There are bumps, but it's working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

luxury handset posted:

venture bros is in legit danger of being canceled now.
I think we're safe for season 8, but yeah, I think the series will end after that one. They better make a good end to the series, I tell you!

bull3964 posted:

It's not like Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick are chomping at the bit to do something new.
Hammer, maybe not, but Publick ? I think his move to the west coast is an indicator that he wants to do something new.

bull3964 posted:

It's actually been fascinating to see production workflows adapt. For example, all of the late night shows are up and running and producing new episodes now 100% remote. It took them about a week and a half to get that production workflow down. There are bumps, but it's working.
Seth Meyer's dress code and constant quest for a good spot in his house to do the show is the best. Good thing that they moved out of the hallway, the room did something nasty to the sound.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It took my wife's company about two days to work out the kinks and they'd never teleworked before. They weren't even sure if they could, because they had a variety of technical issues with no clear solution.

I never realized how high stress producing cable news packages was, until it was happening at the other end of the dining room table.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

qirex posted:

The fact that the entire country of South Korea is locked the gently caress down* is going to have a big impact on traditionally animated shows, if nothing more than creating a backlog. I think there's going to be a bit of a shakeup of the global animation industry.

It seems to me like traditional animation is something that could thrive during current events. Unlike CGI which requires massive and expensive render farms impossible to recreate at home, wouldn't 2D animation be much more achievable from a home environment spread out amongst a lot of individual animators? Especially with other types of productions unable to restart for so long.

If anything, I think the thing that puts VB's future most at risk is Publick and Hammer now living on opposite coasts and only working on the show together remotely. I can't imagine that situation is easy or fun to create a show under, at least compared to the early days where they shared a studio and just had a great time goofing off together. I wouldn't be surprised if Publick wanted to jump to a new show when the opportunity came along, and I also wouldn't be surprised if Hammer got out of the business and just focused on his music and being a weirdo.

Though really I wouldn't mind the next season being the last. As much as I love the show, it's transformed into a very very different thing over the course of season 2 to season 7. It's now a character-centric sitcom that takes place in a comic book world. It's grown, changed, matured, and stretched its wings just about as far as I'd imagine it can. Based on the trajectory of the show I'm not really sure where it goes next other than more of the same. VB was way ahead of its time when it came to the mainstreaming, grounding, and nuanced exploration of big weird comic book universes. It's gotten to the point where it's not really riffing on anything else and is just its own wonderful insular thing. It could stay in that mode forever and I'd still watch it, but I'd rather see it stop than stagnate.

e: Though the next scene I get with Orpheus in it will probably change my mind and I'll be begging for more.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 6, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Part of me kind of hopes the franchise transitions into a digital comic book when the show does come to an end.

Or hell, a Podcast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It'd be appropriate, since it started life as an indie comic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

It seems to me like traditional animation is something that could thrive during current events. Unlike CGI which requires massive and expensive render farms impossible to recreate at home, wouldn't 2D animation be much more achievable from a home environment spread out amongst a lot of individual animators? Especially with other types of productions unable to restart for so long.

If anything, I think the thing that puts VB's future most at risk is Publick and Hammer now living on opposite coasts and only working on the show together remotely. I can't imagine that situation is easy or fun to create a show under, at least compared to the early days where they shared a studio and just had a great time goofing off together. I wouldn't be surprised if Publick wanted to jump to a new show when the opportunity came along, and I also wouldn't be surprised if Hammer got out of the business and just focused on his music and being a weirdo.

Though really I wouldn't mind the next season being the last. As much as I love the show, it's transformed into a very very different thing over the course of season 2 to season 7. It's now a character-centric sitcom that takes place in a comic book world. It's grown, changed, matured, and stretched its wings just about as far as I'd imagine it can. Based on the trajectory of the show I'm not really sure where it goes next other than more of the same. VB was way ahead of its time when it came to the mainstreaming, grounding, and nuanced exploration of big weird comic book universes. It's gotten to the point where it's not really riffing on anything else and is just its own wonderful insular thing. It could stay in that mode forever and I'd still watch it, but I'd rather see it stop than stagnate.

e: Though the next scene I get with Orpheus in it will probably change my mind and I'll be begging for more.

Them working together remotely sounds weird, there’s so many conversations in the show that were just arguments they had in the office, I’m sure there’ll be a noticeable shift in tone now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You can render remotely. Do basic work locally transfer work file to render farm render farm works on CGI remotely. Small IT team that only has to support servers can keep it running.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Them working together remotely sounds weird, there’s so many conversations in the show that were just arguments they had in the office, I’m sure there’ll be a noticeable shift in tone now.

IIRC last season was written this way as well. They talked about it a bit in interviews, though I've yet to listen to the commentaries for 7.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Didn't they say at one point that they somehow managed to talk to each other more now that they're one separate coasts ? Even though now they managed to get distracted by the dumbest stuff... apparently Jackson's cat walked into the frame at one point, the discussion went on a tangent and never recovered ?

Also, I hope Hammer has gotten out of his appartment. As funny as those tales were (seriously some of the funniest times on their panels), I think he ought to find another place considering his back troubles.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

You have this backwards cg from home is way way cheaper then 2d animation

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

You have this backwards cg from home is way way cheaper then 2d animation

I'm just imaging folks at home hand drafting ancient animation cells and feeding them through scanners into dropbox.

S08E01/scene 1/frame 10312 v4.5 final final final.bmp

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
According to the guys that run the BaM youtube channel (one of which is a goon that works on Rick and Morty), animation is mostly done on computer now. Based on the stuff they are able to do from their homes for Youtube, I'd figure that the work done in the US on animated shows could be done from home. That just leaves the issue of the rest of the work that gets done from Korea. As long as the render farm can be kept running, 3D animation is probably easier to do assuming that everyone has computers capable of doing it.

As an aside, I wonder if this pandemic will lead to a shift of people just working from home more often and offices starting to go to the wayside. Aside from in person meetings, a lot of what people do can be done on a computer anywhere as long as you can connect to a VPN to transfer files. Aside from classified government stuff, there's no real need to keep everyone in the same building.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

According to the guys that run the BaM youtube channel (one of which is a goon that works on Rick and Morty), animation is mostly done on computer now. Based on the stuff they are able to do from their homes for Youtube, I'd figure that the work done in the US on animated shows could be done from home. That just leaves the issue of the rest of the work that gets done from Korea. As long as the render farm can be kept running, 3D animation is probably easier to do assuming that everyone has computers capable of doing it.

As an aside, I wonder if this pandemic will lead to a shift of people just working from home more often and offices starting to go to the wayside. Aside from in person meetings, a lot of what people do can be done on a computer anywhere as long as you can connect to a VPN to transfer files. Aside from classified government stuff, there's no real need to keep everyone in the same building.

But how will the boss wander through the cube farm with a cup of coffee and ensure the peons are working and not shirking?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The "will this be the last season" phase of the thread - that means there's light on the horizon :pray:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The "will this be the last season" phase of the thread - that means there's light on the horizon :pray:

So you are praying that this means they have more free time and can make a season every 6 months so we get way too much Venture Bros and it becomes like the Simpsons?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I assume it takes a small miracle to get us even one season every three years, I'm praying this is season 8's.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

If anything, I think the thing that puts VB's future most at risk is Publick and Hammer now living on opposite coasts and only working on the show together remotely. I can't imagine that situation is easy or fun to create a show under, at least compared to the early days where they shared a studio and just had a great time goofing off together.

Astrobase: Go! is going to need to add a Remote Communication Station.

Now let's see who watched the BluRay extras.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just pray that the season finale will actually be part of the season.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

LashLightning posted:

Then again, they announced a couple older shows getting a new season in the upcoming fall lineup - like 10 ounce mouse or whatever it's called. It's be a bit weird if they brought back a few nostalgia trips only to cancel a popular, (well, popular for a Adult Swim show, it's not like it does gangbusters like Rick and Morty but, eh) long running show like Venture Bros.

I was shocked and delighted that tigtone is getting a season 2

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just want Season 8 to be Bat-Hank vs. Nano-Spider-Dean while Doc and Malcolm clean out Jonas’ secret lair and find all his evil schemes. After that I would honestly kind of like the show to end and maybe just provide some semblance of closure.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just want some closure on Rusty and Malcolm's past together. I feel like they don't really want to do things like that, but I still want it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I just want some closure on Rusty and Malcolm's past together. I feel like they don't really want to do things like that, but I still want it.

They seem more willing to do it lately, especially with them detailing how Jonas died finally.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

They clearly live lives between seasons. I'd be up for a series of 1-2h specials every few years to be honest. What is the year in the show anyway? I know they play age loose due to clones but we've been with "the last clones" for awhile now. Real Rusty was born in 1960, he'd be 80 right now he looks fantastic for that age. I assume clone Rusty is closer to 50-60.

I really just want to see Malcolm's reaction at Rusty's funeral so good there, if the series doesn't end with it it absolutely has to be a special. Everything feels like it's leading up to it. They don't need full seasons to keep the current feel of slice of life in a crazy super science world.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 7, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

People born in 1960 are turning 60 this year, not 80.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Clone Rusty was born in 68-69 just like Malcolm.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

People born in 1960 are turning 60 this year, not 80.

Wow I'm not sure how I hosed up the math that badly, I think I hit 60 then added 20 because 2020 assuming I only went 1960 to 2000 first.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
2020-1960 = 60

But I doubt they are following any real calendar. It's whatever year they want it to be.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Rusty's funeral still has a lot of comedic potential and at the current release schedule he'll be 80 in no time assuming a real world calendar. Which yeah they don't seem to be following directly but years have clearly passed between just about every season.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I wonder if the sequence of events is something like Malcolm knew original Rusty, clone Rusty didn't have a full set of memories due to prototype technology and didn't remember him, child Malcolm gets pissed off due to his best friend/half brother not remembering him at all (possibly right after his parents died and he tried to reunite?), and held a grudge for the rest of his life even though the memory of exactly why faded.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They play pretty loose with what year it is though, don't they? I assume the show is still set in the early to mid-2000s, and all technological advances that make it look like today (like smart phones) are because of super science.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Best not to think about such things but if you want an on-screen datapoint, Rusty says he's 43 in Mid Life Chrysalis. Of course that's from his perspective and depending on what kind of clone shenanigans took place, his original birthdate could be earlier.

I still maintain that Rusty's cloning situation wasn't the same as Hank and Dean. Where Hank and Dean were clones to replace them as they died, I think Rusty is a failed clone of Jonas Venture Sr and there was only ever one of him. Jonas Venture Jr was the other outcome of that failed clone. The attributes were split early on in the gestation process. That's why Rusty was never good enough for Jonas, he was supposed to be an exact copy and anything else wouldn't live up to expectations. That's also why he sort of treats him like a failed experiment too. He cares enough about his general well-being to keep him around, but doesn't do much beyond that. It's very similar to the Blue Morpho. He kept him around as a cyborg until he became too much of a problem, then he dumped him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Malcolm is angry that he sees a photo of him and Rusty playing together on a blanket and he doesn't remember it happening, so it's likely they both have memory loss from their various traumas.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

They play pretty loose with what year it is though, don't they? I assume the show is still set in the early to mid-2000s, and all technological advances that make it look like today (like smart phones) are because of super science.

The whole thing is a riff on the Marvel Universe anyway. I don't see why the floating timeline wouldn't apply here as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TVs Ian posted:

I wonder if the sequence of events is something like Malcolm knew original Rusty, clone Rusty didn't have a full set of memories due to prototype technology and didn't remember him, child Malcolm gets pissed off due to his best friend/half brother not remembering him at all (possibly right after his parents died and he tried to reunite?), and held a grudge for the rest of his life even though the memory of exactly why faded.

Nah. Malcolm is definitely born in 68 or 69. Original Rusty was originally born in the late 50s early 60s. Clone Rusty is about the same age as Malcolm and was a freshman in college in 1987.

bull3964 posted:

Best not to think about such things but if you want an on-screen datapoint, Rusty says he's 43 in Mid Life Chrysalis. Of course that's from his perspective and depending on what kind of clone shenanigans took place, his original birthdate could be earlier.

I still maintain that Rusty's cloning situation wasn't the same as Hank and Dean. Where Hank and Dean were clones to replace them as they died, I think Rusty is a failed clone of Jonas Venture Sr and there was only ever one of him. Jonas Venture Jr was the other outcome of that failed clone. The attributes were split early on in the gestation process. That's why Rusty was never good enough for Jonas, he was supposed to be an exact copy and anything else wouldn't live up to expectations. That's also why he sort of treats him like a failed experiment too. He cares enough about his general well-being to keep him around, but doesn't do much beyond that. It's very similar to the Blue Morpho. He kept him around as a cyborg until he became too much of a problem, then he dumped him.

Rusty is 45 or 46 now because only a couple of years have passed in universe since then. Hank & Dean are currently 18-19 although they were originally born 22 years ago.

I don't think your clone theory is right, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just don't buy Jonas caring enough about Rusty as a kid to clone backup copies, Rusty being a vanity project gone wrong that he just tolerates feels more like his personality.

I don't think the timeline is enough supporting evidence for missing years since I doubt things were thought out that concretely.

To be clear, I doubt even Jackson and Doc have made a decision on how all of that fits together yet. It's not like they have a bible that sets all this stuff in stone, it can all change on a whim. We'll just have to see.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I just don't buy Jonas caring enough about Rusty as a kid to clone backup copies, Rusty being a vanity project gone wrong that he just tolerates feels more like his personality.

I don't think the timeline is enough supporting evidence for missing years since I doubt things were thought out that concretely.

To be clear, I doubt even Jackson and Doc have made a decision on how all of that fits together yet. It's not like they have a bible that sets all this stuff in stone, it can all change on a whim. We'll just have to see.

Right, but because of cloning there's ways to explain it that will make sense there's several. Right now there is likely very little thought put into it other than Rusty would be in college at roughly this time period. It doesn't make it less fun to try and find a coherent timeline in the mess.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

bull3964 posted:

I was wondering whether or not doc knew he was a clone and this would explain how he might not know but was able to know about and work with the facilities doc sr had to make Hank and Dean backups. I sort of wonder if doc and Malcolm aren't both clones as that would account for the loss of memory of their past. Did the Blue Morpho mention doc sr. having a son during their meeting about him being unable to get his wife pregnant? Could Malcolm and doc both be failed doc sr. clones?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

pixaal posted:

Right, but because of cloning there's ways to explain it that will make sense there's several. Right now there is likely very little thought put into it other than Rusty would be in college at roughly this time period. It doesn't make it less fun to try and find a coherent timeline in the mess.

It's not roughly when he's there. They explicitly set out a timeline for some events. Jonas died Rusty's freshman year. Movie night was in 1987. Malcolm was born in ~69 based upon conversation Jonas has with Vendata. Rusty is a clone of the original, who was a live in the early 60s, but is seen in pictures the same age as young Malcolm.

Warbird posted:

I was wondering whether or not doc knew he was a clone and this would explain how he might not know but was able to know about and work with the facilities doc sr had to make Hank and Dean backups. I sort of wonder if doc and Malcolm aren't both clones as that would account for the loss of memory of their past. Did the Blue Morpho mention doc sr. having a son during their meeting about him being unable to get his wife pregnant? Could Malcolm and doc both be failed doc sr. clones?

It's pretty clear from context that Jonas hosed the Morpho's wife to get her pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Again, anything can change, but it is insinuated that Malcolm is Jonas's actual honest to goodness son created by, um, conventional means.

In this case, Jonas's science is his dick.

We know they had swinger parties, it would be easy for Jonas to conceal that.

I don't buy that Malcolm's lack of memory of the photo is evidence that he's also a clone. I think it's just good old repressed trauma (or in other words a way for them to toss that shocker out there without having to explain it.)