Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

EBB posted:

Give me something to have hope for

Here:

https://twitter.com/mj_lee/status/1247541685573148675?s=19

There are somewhat early signs that New York is hitting their peak earlier than expected, with a lower peak than expected.

Deaths are the most lagging indicator, the current best indicator for where things actually are involve new hospitalizations and new ICU admissions. Both are significantly down in the past few days. Hospitalizations/ICU admissions are also lagging indicators, tracking back to how successful the mitigation actions were 2-3 weeks ago. There's significant evidence that social distancing is working and a lot of models are getting more optimistic.

Get better TCD's dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The word in Chicago is we’re doing much better than expected and this week is critical for people to seriously not go outside.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1247564949133672448?s=20

Fry "I'm shocked" meme

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Same for Colorado. This thing's not over by a longshot, and we'll keep getting more outbreaks until testing and targeted isolation become practical, but it is manageable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah mea culpa. Decided to burn one down and listen to one love internet radio and am feeling much recovered

I haven't been able to smoke in almost a month because my lungs got so hosed by minor pneumonia. I had much gnarlier pneumonia in 2009, but this poo poo has got me still hosed up a month later. Tried to take a puff yesterday and my chest hurt like a motherfucker. Still can't do too much strenuous activity without getting winded.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think things will get better soon in areas where the state and local government isn't incompetent and realized they couldn't count on the federal government. Of course if we suddenly get all complacent things could get really bad.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The cities starting to level out are going to be all the reason the idiot states need to relax restrictions again. This will of course, affect the cities the worse

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It’s going to be the time after the peak to ensure there are no flare ups that’ll really loving bother people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Here:

There are somewhat early signs that New York is hitting their peak earlier than expected, with a lower peak than expected.

Deaths are the most lagging indicator, the current best indicator for where things actually are involve new hospitalizations and new ICU admissions. Both are significantly down in the past few days. Hospitalizations/ICU admissions are also lagging indicators, tracking back to how successful the mitigation actions were 2-3 weeks ago. There's significant evidence that social distancing is working and a lot of models are getting more optimistic.

Get better TCD's dad.

This doesn't just mean that hospitals are full, right?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't been able to smoke in almost a month because my lungs got so hosed by minor pneumonia. I had much gnarlier pneumonia in 2009, but this poo poo has got me still hosed up a month later. Tried to take a puff yesterday and my chest hurt like a motherfucker. Still can't do too much strenuous activity without getting winded.

I had an upper respiratory infection for two months that I couldn’t shake starting back in late November. Nothing super serious, but anti biotic and rest during the winter break didn’t shake it. I still have a cough anytime I’m work out or exert myself too quickly.

Casimir Radon posted:

I think things will get better soon in areas where the state and local government isn't incompetent and realized they couldn't count on the federal government. Of course if we suddenly get all complacent things could get really bad.

This is my thought as well. I think the south is in for some trouble. If my small town in NC is any sign, not a lot of people are taking this seriously still. A number of people on my street have had gatherings/parties and when I went to the grocery the other day to pick up my daughters rx I was one of two people with a mask or actually giving people space, in a store of about 50 people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bloops posted:

It’s going to be the time after the peak to ensure there are no flare ups that’ll really loving bother people.

M_Gargantua posted:

The cities starting to level out are going to be all the reason the idiot states need to relax restrictions again. This will of course, affect the cities the worse

Yep. I’m very worried about the chuds going “See? It wasn’t so bad” and going back to their old behaviors immediately.

However, I can still focus on doing the right thing for my family. No movies, concerts, large gatherings, etc. for us until there’s a vaccine. Period.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

FYI Mandela is the Lt. Governor of WI and he's pretty cool.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Charlotte had like a week were people had almost entirely abandoned the roads between 7pm and 7am, traffic is coming back but is still not as heavy as it normally was. Nc is going to get hit really hard soon i think

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.
When Centrists Sounded Like Bernie

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Are you in my parents’ town :v:

I’m on the NC outer banks, where the 2 main counties that make up the area banned visitors and even non-resident property owners. Shockingly, we’ve had very few cases...and in the ones we have had, the people either listed somewhere out here as their alt-address, or moved and never updated it.

I think this is probably the most-restricted area in the country right now. They were still rebuilding from hurricane Dorian in Ocracoke, and now the corona is making things even more difficult. Another hurricane would be the absolute last thing this area needs, and guess what the prediction is for hurricane season this year?!

above average activity :(

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Stravag posted:

Charlotte had like a week were people had almost entirely abandoned the roads between 7pm and 7am, traffic is coming back but is still not as heavy as it normally was. Nc is going to get hit really hard soon i think

I have a feeling that is going to be most places. I only go to the store when needed, keep my distance etc.

Then we have my HOA. They have decided to support local businesses and get a taco truck to show up for the community. While I am the FIRST guy to stuff my face with taco truck food, there is NO WAY, I am leaving my home to go to that. We have actual neighborhoods actively putting people in danger.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

facialimpediment posted:

Here:

Get better TCD's dad.

I honestly don't believe that.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

EBB posted:

I'm starting to doubt the 2020 federal election will be held

delaying it would be what a functional democracy would do, so

Casimir Radon posted:

i am unable to believe that the governments and people of every state will remain consistently vigilant for the bare minimum two years it will take for a vaccine to be produced, and thus expect rolling patchwork waves of death and half-hearted temporary shutdowns, paired of course with an absolutely titanic economic depression

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fallom posted:

Yep. I’m very worried about the chuds going “See? It wasn’t so bad” and going back to their old behaviors immediately.

this is not just a chud thing. most people need to work to eat, and everyone has trouble understanding abstract dangers.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1247562039691796480?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

hobbesmaster posted:

This doesn't just mean that hospitals are full, right?

That's why these are only positive signs, rather than a trend! The hospitals are still loving packed and there are a lot of people at home that shouldn't be in ideal circumstances.

Yeah, there's a significant weekend reporting lull nationwide. That's why Cuomo's Tuesday reporting data was expected to drastically beat Monday's, but it mostly didn't. That said, the EMS call volumes are still really, really high. Thus, the signs are hopeful, not quite fully believable.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Doc Hawkins posted:

delaying it would be what a functional democracy would do, so

Disagree about delaying the election. Multiple states have figured out vote-by-mail and almost all states have some semblance of an absentee voting system. It's not hard to federally fund that effort nationwide to have enough printings, poll workers, and time to pull it off.

One party is against that effort. Thus, Wisconsin.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A whole lot of people in my "essential" workplace are getting let go. A lot of the older folks within a few years of retirement just got packaged out, and the majority of the contract people are gone.
They also packaged out our Occupational Health Nurse who was the first one to take this poo poo seriously, she was sending chunks of departments go if people had coughs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

this is not just a chud thing. most people need to work to eat, and everyone has trouble understanding abstract dangers.

I'm talking more about going back to old behaviors of not social distancing, not wearing masks, not washing hands, etc. People have to go back to work but it doesn't have to look like it did 6 months ago.

Yeah it's hard to deal with abstract dangers, but the Chuds are the only ones I've seen calling this whole thing a hoax and insisting on shaking hands, calling people to gather in crowds to support businesses, and flaunting guidelines.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 7, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

ASAPI posted:

I have a feeling that is going to be most places. I only go to the store when needed, keep my distance etc.

Then we have my HOA. They have decided to support local businesses and get a taco truck to show up for the community. While I am the FIRST guy to stuff my face with taco truck food, there is NO WAY, I am leaving my home to go to that. We have actual neighborhoods actively putting people in danger.

People in this apt complex were actually saying that the complex should arrange for food trucks to show up because of this. This complex also finally put out a "people can ask for forgiveness on their rent if theyve been affected" statement like 3 days ago but they arent just putting out a blanket heres 100 bucks off rent for a month policy because that would be useful. Between people in charlotte being dumb and this and other apartment complexes refusing to do anything past "shutdown common areas" we're still looking at some real bad times coming. I have either a cold or the regular flu atm but it still skeeves me out because of whats going on atm. Thankfully i have a wet cough instead of a dry cough and my job doesnt have me interact with people.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1247581001079021570

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Going to vote after I finish work, wish me luck. I've got my WI Voting Starter Kit:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flying_Crab posted:

Going to vote after I finish work, wish me luck. I've got my WI Voting Starter Kit:

Godspeed.

Got any eye pro?

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

That Works posted:

Godspeed.

Got any eye pro?

Gucci shades

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MA-Horus posted:

A whole lot of people in my "essential" workplace are getting let go. A lot of the older folks within a few years of retirement just got packaged out, and the majority of the contract people are gone.
They also packaged out our Occupational Health Nurse who was the first one to take this poo poo seriously, she was sending chunks of departments go if people had coughs.

My mom is a COTA, who was teaching OTAs, before this poo poo went down. They cut a bunch of teaching staff from her school, her included, right after they put their class poo poo online. She's nearing 60, type 1 diabetic, and I've been telling her to just collect collect unemployment what with the $600 extra a week they're giving now. She wants to find another job, go back to a recovery wing or something, but I think she understands better now that people are going to need her after this is over and recovery for some of the harder hit is going to be needed. Until then, she just needs to hang out with the grandkids and plant a garden while raking in unemployment.

She really wants to get back out on the job market though, and she trends conservative leaning politically, so who the gently caress knows.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That Works posted:

Godspeed.

Got any eye pro?

Unfortunately just eyeglasses/sunglasses, although I have sunglasses that are fairly close fitting and have wide coverage.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Flying_Crab posted:

I'm one of these people who didn't get a ballot. This is so incredibly hosed, this single act has shaken my faith in this country more than any other event in recent history. The notion of this nation being a true democracy at all is now in question.

Class action lawsuit against SCOTUS, buddy

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/paulszoldra/status/1247587503738982400?s=21

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Someone school me on this:

How are local/state agencies making their predictions for cases? With testing being so low, how is a county saying they predict, say, 100,000 cases? Is it contact tracing of the cases they know? Did they take flu data an tweeked the numbers for the COVID rate of infection?

Bonus points if you have a link so I can learn more.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Doc Hawkins posted:

i am unable to believe that the governments and people of every state will remain consistently vigilant for the bare minimum two years it will take for a vaccine to be produced, and thus expect rolling patchwork waves of death and half-hearted temporary shutdowns, paired of course with an absolutely titanic economic depression

This is what is going to happen unless we chance on a miracle cure like yesterday. Even then there's gonna be a lag time while they ramp up production I'd imagine

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I know this isn't about Joe Biden so sorry if it is too far off topic:

https://gothamist.com/news/surge-nu...HiwhTqJ_WgHu8as

COVID deaths possibly being undercounted because lots of people are dying at home and not being tested.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

photoshop goatse into the reflection

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1247601182312366081

:lol: gently caress off clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

Someone school me on this:

How are local/state agencies making their predictions for cases? With testing being so low, how is a county saying they predict, say, 100,000 cases? Is it contact tracing of the cases they know? Did they take flu data an tweeked the numbers for the COVID rate of infection?

Bonus points if you have a link so I can learn more.

Here's information on the IHME model out of the University of Washington that has been driving some talk: http://www.healthdata.org/covid/faqs

Another on how localities are partnering with universities to make their own models, with different assumptions, and why DC thinks the IHME model is bad: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/coronavirus-peak-dc-maryland-virginia/2020/04/03/0636bc6c-75cf-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html

Here's a longread about where the Trump presser model came from and why epidemiologists think the model was suspect / hot garbo https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/02/experts-trumps-advisers-doubt-white-houses-240000-coronavirus-deaths-estimate/

The trouble is that there's so much we don't know, and no federal government model/standard, and each model is based on assumptions, so localities are pulling from a gazillion different sources. We're so far behind that contact tracing really isn't A Thing in the hotspots.