Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I've been playing Far Cry: New Dawn recently and I'm really enjoying it. The plot is very basic but on the plus side you don't have horrific individuals putting their face right in yours and whispering about how good and bad things are exactly the same thing in an ASMR voice. It's very pretty, the post apocalyptic aesthetic is cool and the moment to moment gameplay is improved too (you get a double jump!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

I played New Dawn recently and had a good time, so i picked up Fay Cry 5. I generally knew about the setting and story going in, but it's not a joke when people say it has some bad tonal whiplash. It's far too eager to set up a colorful Americana-flavor action playground while also trying to be very serious about it's religious cult story. It absolutely feels designed by committee in the worst way possible. My fault for having expectations from a shooter game though :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The villain in Far Cry 5 is baffling to me because from what I can tell, he doesn't believe in anything? His entire MO is "do crime, say spooky nonsense, wear ugly-rear end glasses and no t-shirt". Like the only reason people follow him is because he has mind control juice.

And there's this running plot about how he's trying to "convert" the protagonist but like, how? How the gently caress? "confess your sins" means nothing if there is no moral framework to enter into afterwards and there literally is none!

agh sorry I'll stop before this turns into more paragraphs but god damnit FC5 writers, you had an opportunity here and you decided that it would be good if Mr Seed basically is a nonperson!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mothmansplainer posted:

I played New Dawn recently and had a good time, so i picked up Fay Cry 5. I generally knew about the setting and story going in, but it's not a joke when people say it has some bad tonal whiplash. It's far too eager to set up a colorful Americana-flavor action playground while also trying to be very serious about it's religious cult story. It absolutely feels designed by committee in the worst way possible. My fault for having expectations from a shooter game though :v:

"trying to be very serious about it's religious cult story"

but it doesn't HAVE one because the cult is literally about nothing, there's mind control juice. There is no cult to join. There is nothing here except for how the drat peggies are nice cartoonish things to shoot while you go around the map.

:rant:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Spoiler/question about What Remains:

What does everyone think really happened to Molly? Did she die from eating too much toothpaste?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StrixNebulosa posted:

The villain in Far Cry 5 is baffling to me because from what I can tell, he doesn't believe in anything? His entire MO is "do crime, say spooky nonsense, wear ugly-rear end glasses and no t-shirt". Like the only reason people follow him is because he has mind control juice.

And there's this running plot about how he's trying to "convert" the protagonist but like, how? How the gently caress? "confess your sins" means nothing if there is no moral framework to enter into afterwards and there literally is none!

agh sorry I'll stop before this turns into more paragraphs but god damnit FC5 writers, you had an opportunity here and you decided that it would be good if Mr Seed basically is a nonperson!
That part at least makes more sense later.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

Spoiler/question about What Remains:

What does everyone think really happened to Molly? Did she die from eating too much toothpaste?

toothpaste and holly berries, so yeah, it was probably food poisoning

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The biggest problem is the fact that so much is gated through grinding. Once you get a full set of abilities and gear you can pull some crazy poo poo in that game with re-positioning abilities, stuns, and attacks.

I get the feeling you're supposed to play through on normal unlock everything then go back and tear up the maps but at that point you're just burned out.

Edit: I must have not reloaded before posting. I'm talking about Druidstone

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

fwiw walking simulators are generally not just about walking, it's just a derogatory term that would only really apply to something like Dear Esther

I see lots of complaining about this from people who have no better term to call these games

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I expect I will put an hour into Far Cry 1, enjoy it as a historical experience (FPS design history is wild to me) and then drop it like a hot potato.
1's story is basically a late nineties action flick, tough ex-commando guy has to save the girl from a mad scientist. It also has actual monsters in it as opposed to the hallucinatory experiences from later games. A pretty enjoyable game still, but it's very much a classical linear FPS with some levels being slightly more open.
Basically the modern Far Cry formula started with 2.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jacob and Faith Seed's philosophies are so opposed that I really don't know how they can be part of the same cult.

Far Cry 5 is fun but nothing about it makes any drat sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fallom posted:

I see lots of complaining about this from people who have no better term to call these games

Walking sim was originally a derisive term used against these games but that's over now, and the only people who still try to post that as some kind of burn are owning themselves. "Interactive novel" is somehow even less accurate and dumber-sounding, so walky sim it is.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The most stupid thing in Far Cry 5 is that the bad guy is right, the end of the world is coming, and just as you arrest him the nukes start going off around the country

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

"trying to be very serious about it's religious cult story"

but it doesn't HAVE one because the cult is literally about nothing, there's mind control juice. There is no cult to join. There is nothing here except for how the drat peggies are nice cartoonish things to shoot while you go around the map.

Yeah, that's completely accurate. I think the thing that always gets me is how thin the veneer is. It's a complete hodge-podge of religious iconography from votive candles to high-steepled churches to the promo art being a recreation of the last supper. It's a ton of loaded imagery that looks cool from an art standpoint, but it doesn't seem to realize those things can't be placed in a vacuum. It's a game that says a lot about how AAA games are made.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ymgve posted:

The most stupid thing in Far Cry 5 is that the bad guy is right, the end of the world is coming, and just as you arrest him the nukes start going off around the country

so... instead of making an insane mind control juice cult about nothing, he should have helped the local community continue their prepper planning?

yeah I prefer State of Decay 2's take on the end of the world - things are lovely and the apocalypse has happened, but we CAN make a better world, we CAN work together, and nothing is going to stop us! (except for blood juggernauts)

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020
Far Cry 1 is fun schlock and creeping through the jungle in a bright red Hawaiian t-shirt is a good time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You know what's good and on sale? Jewel Match Solitaire. Three bucks and you can enjoy some chill gaming. No stupid plots, no stupid cults, just you and some cards.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mothmansplainer posted:

Yeah, that's completely accurate. I think the thing that always gets me is how thin the veneer is. It's a complete hodge-podge of religious iconography from votive candles to high-steepled churches to the promo art being a recreation of the last supper. It's a ton of loaded imagery that looks cool from an art standpoint, but it doesn't seem to realize those things can't be placed in a vacuum. It's a game that says a lot about how AAA games are made.
Seriously, the thing about the Peggie cult that always struck me as the absolute most stupid thing is that it's explicitly non-denominational. As in, there's no particular religion than they actually follow. In real-world terms, this is obviously so that no single religious group could point at any particular thing about it and complain about the way it portrays them, but it still leaves you with this pile generically religious garbage that isn't about anything specific, just about being as much of a complete turd to everyone around you as you can.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
When FC5 was initially shown I thought the cult would be a take on the American right of the past ten years; stuff like militias, preppers, religious extremists- think the bundy clan or 3%ers. But they kept it more generic and non denominational, maybe to avoid controversy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

far cry 5's story is so atrocious it actively gets in the way of the game, on multiple occasions, not to mention the gross poo poo with the leaders' gently caress bunker and the gimp deputy in the sequel

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

When FC5 was initially shown I thought the cult would be a take on the American right of the past ten years; stuff like militias, preppers, religious extremists- think the bundy clan or 3%ers. But they kept it more generic and non denominational, maybe to avoid controversy.

Ubisoft, the publisher that famously said they don't want to be political while marketing The Division 2.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Far Cry 5 is extremely good because when the murderous rapist cult leader says "you were wrong to oppose me, I'm actually the good guy here" he is 100% correct.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I did the Final Fantasy "mission" in AC Origins last night, without realizing it was Final Fantasy themed until the end when I got a chocobo mount. A flying robot made of swords throws magic blue swords at an anime-hair man who smiles and then jumps up to (into?) the robot and they fly off, and leave a real (not magic blue) sword and shield just sitting there. I'm not very familiar with modern FF (the last one I played was 12, when it came out for PS2, so even that's a bit fuzzy beyond "it's Star Wars with chocobos"), so I was just very confused for a few minutes. I got lucky and got to the temple just as the sun was rising, so even the puzzle was just "shoot that glowy thing right there 3 times."

Then I got back to the actual game. I took drugs and killed a snake in the afterlife, talked to my dead son, then found my heart and put it back in my chest and woke back up, and Aya was outside. Whoever said it the other day was right: she's off having AC plot happen while Bayek's just tooling around Egypt. Whenever she shows up, I half-love it because Aya's cool and it's surprisingly rare to see a protagonist with a living spouse who feels like an actual character and not just a plot device (though she is that, to be fair). I also half-hate it because I know it means I'm about to get a bunch of cutscenes about a bunch of bullshit I don't care about. Cleopatra visiting Memphis wasn't too bad, though.

I've been wearing nothing but the spa towel (hood down) since I unlocked it, and I'm very glad they included a good outfit like that. Also, Bayek has one of the most charming grins in videogames.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

Far Cry 5 is extremely good because when the murderous rapist cult leader says "you were wrong to oppose me, I'm actually the good guy here" he is 100% correct.

I agree. Truly, it's a masterpiece. Rian Johnson would be proud.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

beats for junkies posted:

Also, Bayek has one of the most charming grins in videogames.

Yes! It looks so drat good.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Sloppy posted:

Anyone played Druidstone? It's on sale and it's been on my wishlist a while but don't want to be suckered in by another pretty face.

If you can get over the clichés, bad dialogue, snoozey story and graphical style that reminds me of the Xbox's worst bloom abusing games there's a pretty fun tactical game underneath. But I couldn't, I hate that type of graphics, my eyes just slide right off them and they give me headaches.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
You know, Final Fantasy XV has some breathtaking character designs for the enemy models, but between the lighting engine, the hectic pace of the battles, and the camera orientation, I basically never get to actually see them. They’re just enemy blobs to me. I wish the game had a model viewer or something.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Walking sim was originally a derisive term used against these games but that's over now, and the only people who still try to post that as some kind of burn are owning themselves. "Interactive novel" is somehow even less accurate and dumber-sounding, so walky sim it is.

Death Stranding is technically a walky sim

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MechWarrior is a walking sim

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Anonymous Robot posted:

You know, Final Fantasy XV has some breathtaking character designs for the enemy models, but between the lighting engine, the hectic pace of the battles, and the camera orientation, I basically never get to actually see them. They’re just enemy blobs to me. I wish the game had a model viewer or something.

It does though? The bestiary? You can even put a Noctis model next to them for scale.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

There is nothing here except for how the drat peggies are nice cartoonish things to shoot while you go around the map.

here is the relevant part of Farcry 5. Just shoot stuff oh and explore the map. It's a nice looking game. New Dawn is too. When you get to that one, just shoot stuff there too

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

DrNutt posted:

It does though? The bestiary? You can even put a Noctis model next to them for scale.

Whoa, for real? Where can I find that in the menu?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

MechWarrior is a walking sim

Stomping game, please.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I played Far Cry 5 and had exactly the same frustrating, irritating experience everyone else did, and then at the start of this year I played New Dawn because I am incapable of learning things, and it started off really promising and fun and vastly improved, and then about 40% of the way through it went "but, hey, what about Far Cry 5, though?" and slowly ground the entire game to a halt not just because the story became about Joseph Seed again but because the gameplay goes from "fight dudes and reclaim outposts and have a slow battle of attrition against post-apocalyptic warlords" to "listen to psychic ghosts talk and get repeatedly pulled away from the story because Joseph Seed is more important" and it was like banging my head against 5 all over again.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Sloppy posted:

Anyone played Druidstone? It's on sale and it's been on my wishlist a while but don't want to be suckered in by another pretty face.
How do you feel about tactics games where halfway through a mission, new enemies spawn behind you or a new objective/gimmick gets added without warning?

Because that will happen Every. Single. Mission.

There's the glimmer of an amazing tactics game in Druidstone, but it gets drowned out by the developers feeling the need to scream "HA, GOTCHA!!!!!!" halfway through every level. Not only is that annoying on its own, but it actively undermines the rest of the game, because you never want to use your limited abilities until the "gotcha" moment that you know is always coming. The game soured real fast for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Anonymous Robot posted:

Whoa, for real? Where can I find that in the menu?

Archives menu, under bestiary. I guess it's something that was added in a patch but I didn't know that since I played the game for the first time last year.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

Stomping game, please.

that's Dead Space

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
roguewalker

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Samuringa posted:

roguewalker

Solesborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead