Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Samovar posted:

I was sick of the constant barrage of holy units from other civilizations; of course, I just downloaded that mod and then got Disco Elysium...

Should've put less points in Electrochemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I want a mod that toggles a hide/unhide on the religious unit layer.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Every single time, I literally remember about buying things with faith after I click "next turn" and say, oh, ok, next turn I will remember to do it

then, I click next turn ...

no surprise that I always disable religious victory in my playthroughs. I mean I like the idea, enjoy the bonuses etc, I just can't be bothered to micromanage it most of the time and if there's other religious civilizations they will literally drown you in missionaries and apostles.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
https://www.playyourdamnturn.com/game/0b63521a-bb29-4f33-9b8b-d814b3b0e8a4

We're looking for a fourth for what is currently a goon v goon v goon violence game. Our last rando ended up exploiting on turn like 5, so we called him out and he disappeared himself off the site. Now we need another non-cheating player. Game speed online, 4 players inland sea, tiny map, religious victory disabled.

pw: faithless

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

https://www.playyourdamnturn.com/game/0b63521a-bb29-4f33-9b8b-d814b3b0e8a4

We're looking for a fourth for what is currently a goon v goon v goon violence game. Our last rando ended up exploiting on turn like 5, so we called him out and he disappeared himself off the site. Now we need another non-cheating player. Game speed online, 4 players inland sea, tiny map, religious victory disabled.

pw: faithless

Victorious warriors cheat first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to cheat.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

yeah, that

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I got the itch to play some Civ, but digging through the last few pages of the thread and checking the first post leaves me really unenthusiastic to try 6 out again. (I put twice the hours into Beyond Earth as I did for Civ 6.) Is the game better with expansions? What would you say is the best Civ game to play, because I've got... all of them.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Just play the civ game you wanna play. People in this thread have four digit playtimes across each, and everyone will argue why their 1,000 hour time investment in title x is superior to y because :words:

VI is cheap as heck on steam right now and is the current release, get that& the expacs if you don’t know which to invest a few hundred hours in. The expansions are good for vi, it follows the usual mode of base game is weak until two expansions are out fleshing out completely ignored systems. Climate change is mostly okay, but some mods can help that. If you bounced off vanilla, idk try again? If you disliked the art style enough to not like it though that’s kinda a done deal I’d imagine.

There will always be the people to say IV and V are the only titles worth playing, but unless you have a serious nostalgia for the old titles just pass on them.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 7, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

onesixtwo posted:

There will always be the people to say IV and V are the only titles worth playing, but unless you have a serious nostalgia for the old titles just pass on them.

you know what i have serious nostalgia for is a readable, sensible ui, which means that i'm good as long as i play anything that predates vi

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

What's better about V's UI over VI? They seem extremely alike to me.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
They're very alike, but 6 just manages to be worse somehow in a variety of infuriating ways. Extra clicks to get anything done after selecting a city, the tourism screen, etc.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

onesixtwo posted:

Just play the civ game you wanna play. People in this thread have four digit playtimes across each, and everyone will argue why their 1,000 hour time investment in title x is superior to y because :words:

VI is cheap as heck on steam right now and is the current release, get that& the expacs if you don’t know which to invest a few hundred hours in. The expansions are good for vi, it follows the usual mode of base game is weak until two expansions are out fleshing out completely ignored systems. Climate change is mostly okay, but some mods can help that. If you bounced off vanilla, idk try again? If you disliked the art style enough to not like it though that’s kinda a done deal I’d imagine.

I've been told that the first expansion for VI, Rise and Fall, has had its features lumped into the second expansion, Gathering Storm. You buy RaF for its leaders now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
6's UI is undersized, hard to use, and barely readable. it almost feels like it doesn't scale to your resolution, like it just slaps static-sized buttons and maps at (width - uiElementSize, 0) and doesn't uprez the font point. so you can end up with a supermassive board space with a tiiiiiiiiny little end turn/next unit button in the corner and a functionally useless world map

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Get Gathering Storm, the Concise UI mod, the mod that does Civ V style terrain graphics, and one of the mods that grants +1 movement to every unit. Turn off religious victory unless you really want to try it once to realize why you should skip it.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

6's UI is undersized, hard to use, and barely readable. it almost feels like it doesn't scale to your resolution, like it just slaps static-sized buttons and maps at (width - uiElementSize, 0) and doesn't uprez the font point. so you can end up with a supermassive board space with a tiiiiiiiiny little end turn/next unit button in the corner and a functionally useless world map

I gotta say, I’ve never felt this way about the UI sizing of vi unless I was playing on my 3440x1440 screen specifically without using the built in checkbox in game setting for UI scaling. I mean, I assume you’ve use the built in UI scaling option, but yeah at a certain point above 1920x1080 it’s gonna be not ideal. Looks totally normal for 2560x1440 but ymmv on personal feel.

I do make use of concise UI mod, which makes it less tedious perhaps?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Get Gathering Storm, the Concise UI mod, the mod that does Civ V style terrain graphics, and one of the mods that grants +1 movement to every unit. Turn off religious victory unless you really want to try it once to realize why you should skip it.

Ok I've played a couple hundred hours of Civ6 but I only just started following this thread so I haven't figured out which of the fun parts of the game are actually in fact bad so forgive me but what's wrong with the religious victory?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh higher difficulties the production bonus the AI gets lets them spam the world with never-ending missionaries. This is good in that the AI can actually get a legitimate win, early in the game. This is bad in that if the player didn't get his own religion, he's powerless to stop it and the other AIs will sit on their hands. Alternatively, if the player either takes a religion or champions someone else's (ugh), they get to spend the rest of eternity fending off a Zerg flood of missionaries.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

RadioPassive posted:

Ok I've played a couple hundred hours of Civ6 but I only just started following this thread so I haven't figured out which of the fun parts of the game are actually in fact bad so forgive me but what's wrong with the religious victory?

The religion mechanic in VI is counter productive to itself.

Let's look at V for a comparision. In V, each religion has founder beliefs and follower beliefs. The founder of the religion gets the benefit of both, and the follower civilizations get the benefit of the follower beliefs. This gives a civilization, that did not found a religion, a reason to spread or simply allow a religion to spread in their empire.

In VI there are still follower beliefs, but if you help spread any religion that you didn't start then you loving lose.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I dunno if this is the right word, but will "passive" mods like UI improvements affect my ability to play online with another player who doesn't have that same mod?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Chronojam posted:

I don't think selling people on the game by telling them to turn off half of the game is gonna work.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Religious victory is not half the game, it's not even half the victory conditions :psyduck:

I'm literally suggesting people add all this cool new content from the creators -- plus the movement mod to smooth things for the AI and make your own workforce maintenance easier.

Things like Concise UI allow you to engage with the game better.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chronojam posted:

Religious victory is not half the game, it's not even half the victory conditions :psyduck:

I'm literally suggesting people add all this cool new content from the creators -- plus the movement mod to smooth things for the AI and make your own workforce maintenance easier.

Things like Concise UI allow you to engage with the game better.

And you even said "unless you want to try the religious victory" so yeah I'm not sure he even read your post tbh.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

RadioPassive posted:

What's better about V's UI over VI? They seem extremely alike to me.

They look more or less the same, but VI's is inexplicably worse. Mostly in a lot of little ways.

-The tourism victory isn't explained anywhere, you've just got a bunch of numbers going up. It's virtually exactly the same as V's, but you're never gonna learn in-game that domestic tourism is based off your culture output.
-There's no way to figure out what improvements can be built on a tile before you have a worker standing there. You can usually suss it out, but there are some arbitrary restrictions like you can't plant a forest next to a lake, and some improvements count mountains as adjacent land tiles, and others do not.
-There's no way to figure out what a wonder or building does after it's built, other than check the wiki.
-Tourism output isn't listed anywhere outside of the tourism map lens.
-The mouseover tile info box is horrendous and makes it a huge pain in the rear end to figure out if a tile, say, has a feature on it when you can't tell from the graphics
-A lot of bonuses straight up aren't listed anywhere. Wanna know if you get the production bonus from the Amundsen-Scott lab, given that you have no idea if snowy mountains count for it? You have to go to a city screen, mouse over its science yield, read "+x from wonders" and then hope it's the bonus you're looking for and not another inscrutable one from elsewhere.
-You won't see unit's combat bonuses until you're in the actual combat preview screen. You can suss some of it out by looking at enemy promotions, but you have to check said promotions on the wiki if you don't know them off-hand, and I still have no idea how to predict how much damage a city does or takes without first getting in bombardment range.
-The only way to find out how air combat works is by finding the specific subsection for "Air Combat" under Gameplay in the civpedia. None of the pages for air units link to this, and none of the commands you can issue are explained in the UI, nor have pages of their own.

None of these are all that terrible in isolation, but there's a lot of it going on. Those are just off the top of my head.

Civ V, in comparison, managed to have all its information exactly where it needed to be, without ever drowning you in extraneous info. Mouse over a thing, and you'll know what you need to know, and no more or less. I've no doubt that a massive amount of development time was spent perfecting it. I never had to check the in-game wiki for anything, but that also was well-written and properly indexed with sensible cross-references.

VI stands out all the more for how sloppy it is, despite being largely copy-pasted from V's.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

-There's no way to figure out what a wonder or building does after it's built, other than check the wiki.

I like that when you build a wonder you can hover over it during the movie and it will tell you some of the info, varying from everything down to "must be built next to a river". Just the kind of detail you'd be really eager to know after already building it...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

VI stands out all the more for how sloppy it is, despite being largely copy-pasted from V's.

I think that's the heart of it. Districts are objectively fabulous and there's a few other improvements here and there, but its foundations are a copy/iteration on Civ5, but somehow poorly done. Sloppy is a very good way of describing it; remember at release when everyone was aghast at the Wonder quotes? First impressions where spot on.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'll add to this that there is no way of knowing a wonder was built unless you remember that there was a notification about it.

I've often chosen a tech just to get a certain wonder without even knowing if that wonder was still available.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

VI's UI has gotten somewhat better from where it was at the start, and a lot of the most glaring omissions and annoyances were smoothed over so it's not all bad.

Unfortunately, it's still a bunch of half-measures at best and Zulily's list is absolutely spot on. I have a lot of issues with Civ V and still think it's overrated in many respects, but perhaps one reason people are fond of it despite these issues is that it has a stellar UI and it makes the actual moment-to-moment play experience pleasant enough that people, including myself, can enjoy it despite its issues.

Civ VI is a chore to play in many respects by contract, and as such there's a lot less forgiving by people despite the things it does right.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Civ VI is a chore to play in many respects by contract, and as such there's a lot less forgiving by people despite the things it does right.

it doesn't help that if i want districts and planning, endless legend is right there, and it doesn't have the glaring problems of civ 6's arbitrary AI

strangely the UI is still absolute poo poo but what can you do

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

-The mouseover tile info box is horrendous and makes it a huge pain in the rear end to figure out if a tile, say, has a feature on it when you can't tell from the graphics

i like how if you turn on Show Resources in civ 5, it shows these hugeass map pins that are almost as big as the tile itself in normal view, and take up half the space in the tile in strategic view; but in civ 6, the Show Resources elements are as small as the microscopic 8px yield symbols

at this point i'm like "that's tea because it produces Science"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 11, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I know that this is a tangent, but what did you feel was poor about EL's UI? If anything I feel that Amplitude's recent GUI's are the best in show.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

The Human Crouton posted:

I'll add to this that there is no way of knowing a wonder was built unless you remember that there was a notification about it.

I've often chosen a tech just to get a certain wonder without even knowing if that wonder was still available.

I’m pretty sure V had that problem as well and it is annoying. If you have the map revealed you can do a search for the wonder and it’ll show you if it’s been built. Of course that’s only if you’ve already explored the area. Still it does help on occasion.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Serephina posted:

I know that this is a tangent, but what did you feel was poor about EL's UI? If anything I feel that Amplitude's recent GUI's are the best in show.

it's just insanely tiny. it's incredibly information dense and it buries a lot of important elements under graphics that don't necessarily mean anything without context for the game, and my first few hours playing around with it learning what is what, i honestly didn't even realize that 90% of the stuff is clickable because it just looks like a part of the info hud

like i can talk poo poo about civ 6 all day but at least a beaker is contextually "this is related to science" and not some orb with pointy lines through it

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 11, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The White Dragon posted:

it's just insanely tiny. it's incredibly information dense and it buries a lot of important elements under graphics that don't necessarily mean anything without context for the game, and my first few hours playing around with it learning what is what, i honestly didn't even realize that 90% of the stuff is clickable because it just looks like a part of the info hud

like i can talk poo poo about civ 6 all day but at least a beaker is contextually "this is related to science" and not some orb with pointy lines through it

The FIDSI symbols are consistent across all amplitude titles, and atoms are about as science-y as beakers are. They're even the same color. There is, btw, an option to make the gui scale up for higher res monitors. Most of what you said there (information dense, yet hoverable/clickable for context) are actually good things, you may be confusing familiarity with good design.

It's ok to bounce off of a title, but perhaps slightly unfair to contrast it to another title you know inside and out.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

there is a map search tool on the minimap in the bottom left corner. you can use that to search for a wonder to see if it's built or currently in progress. though this only works if you have explored the tile where the wonder is.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

It's a stylised atom, which I would have thought is as common a symbol for science as a beaker tbh

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Serephina posted:

The FIDSI symbols are consistent across all amplitude titles, and atoms are about as science-y as beakers are. They're even the same color. There is, btw, an option to make the gui scale up for higher res monitors. Most of what you said there (information dense, yet hoverable/clickable for context) are actually good things, you may be confusing familiarity with good design.

It's ok to bounce off of a title, but perhaps slightly unfair to contrast it to another title you know inside and out.

i actually bounced off endless legend for other reasons (such as the game being wordy and narrative as hell but everything is in that nightmare 8pt italic font, or that busywork-rear end armor system) but the UI definitely isn't intuitive, like my whole point is that i didn't even realize that a good portion of the clickables were clickable at all for some hours because they just look like a part of the unit/city info summary. and these are really important things, like it's how you form your armies and change your equipment. i stuck it out and figured it out eventually, but it took way longer than it would've with sensible design, and pick-up-and-playability is really nice.

like even playing civ 1, no instruction manual on a super nintendo, it wasn't too hard to figure out everything i needed to know by pressing a couple different buttons. my major hurdle starting out with civ was sensible builds and optimization, i didn't have any trouble finding the basic menus

lost in postation posted:

It's a stylised atom, which I would have thought is as common a symbol for science as a beaker tbh

it's been a while but i recall having trouble with other hud glyphs in the game, like they're all in-universe flavored and i'm honestly not that into the setting to care about their sigils and poo poo. like beakers i'm just using as an off-hand example, i didn't necessarily have trouble identifying things that produced science because it's still generally color coded to match civ.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 11, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can anyone give me some generalised advice on how to play?

I like playing as China and building wonders/ making a cool set up that looks nice.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Going for wonders is the best way to play as China. Go for the Pyramids early and you'll basically be able to build any other early wonder for the cost of one builder and 5 turns of production. The hard part is having the time to settle new cities!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Prince is the "fair" difficulty; below that and the player gets big advantages, above that and the AIs do. Early on, your priorities are scouting out the map, settling the best nearby land, and founding a religion. I usually start by building a scout or two, unless it's an island map of course. Scouting out terrain early can give you snowballing advantages from goody huts and meeting city-states. Ranged units are kind of OP, especially against the AI; just build a bunch of archers and keep them upgraded, and you should be able to defend yourself, unless you get completely eclipsed in tech.

Early on, the most important thing for cities is housing, which is dictated by access to water. Try to build on rivers or lakes, or on the coast if you can't get fresh water. Once you unlock aqueducts (fairly early), you can also get the fresh water benefits while being 1 tile away from the river or lake, or from a mountain, so you don't have to build directly on those features if you're willing to forgo a little early growth. Try to build your cities on land with a mix of flat land (for food) and rough land (for production). Also, try to build near mountains, as they buff your holy sites and science districts. If you don't have any mountains, you can also get buffs from natural wonders, forests, and jungles, but those are weaker.

At this point I should talk about which wonders are key and which aren't, but I don't play this game enough to remember, and a lot of them have really wordy, detailed descriptions which don't stick around in my mind. A really nice one for China is the Pyramids, which give all your workers an extra charge. In planning out your districts, you can gain a lot of efficiency by sharing districts. Certain ones, like the industrial quarter and the festival square, apply some of their bonuses to all cities within 6 tiles, so try to locate them centrally. IIRC, district adjancency bonuses kick in the instant you start construction on the district, so you can order a city to build an industrial zone in the midst of a bunch of mines, and the district's own construction will be sped up by the adjacency bonus, even though it's unfinished.

There's a lot of nuance in the tech tree that you can only learn by playing; the feudalism civic gives all your workers +2 charges; there's an early-game tech that gives all your farms +1 food per 2 adjacent farms (so try to build them in triangles); the Enlightenment civic gives you a social policy that doubles the output of all your dedicated science buildings. You should also pay close attention to the Suzerain bonuses of the city-states; some of them are good enough to plan a whole game around, though you can't guarantee which ones will appear in a given game.

RE religion: build a holy site or two, and eventually they'll give you enough Great Prophet points that you'll get one for free. (Or, you can buy one for faith or money). Be warned that religions are limited: whatever the number of players is only half-plus-one religions can be founded (so 5 in an 8-player game). Once the religion is founded, it will slowly spread across the world passively, but you can speed it up massively by making missionaries (must be bought, using faith, in towns with holy sites). Later, you unlock apostles, which are super-missionaries that can also "fight" other religious units (without declaring war), or be spent to enhance the religion by adding new traits.

Make sure to play around with the map lenses in the bottom left: there's a lot of good information in them.

You can make friends with the AI, but be aware they'll betray you in a heartbeat and never face any consequences for it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
How can I tell what a good place to settle is, should I aim my people far away from the starting settlement, or closer by?

Also, is there anything in particular to avoid?

Thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Josef bugman posted:

How can I tell what a good place to settle is, should I aim my people far away from the starting settlement, or closer by?

Also, is there anything in particular to avoid?

Thank you very much!
I had a similar question: How close is too close? In previous Civ games (especially the really old ones) I tried to have few/no overlapping tiles in the city radius, but those used to be pre-defined, rather than growing like they do in VI.