Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm putting my bet on you saving her. and things completely going to poo poo afterwards. Like she doesn't finish calling Holy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Blockhouse posted:

I absolutely do not know what you mean by "it's not real"

Within the confine of the video game's story all of this is happening. "Well it's not the original FFVII storyline" doesn't matter because you're not getting any more things set in the 'original''s timeline.

Then its real like dissidia final fantasy opera omnia is or mobius final fantasy. So not at all. Making it take place in some alternate reality is a mechanism of cowardice. Cause theyre afraid to retell ff7. But they shouldnt be! Even if they made an error it wouldnt ruin the original game. Just like if you have a bad adaptation of Dracula its not gonna mess up Bram Stoker's original book or make it less impactful. But you dont have to bend over backwards and say "well this all happened on a different planet in some other galaxy but mirrored the events". Then you're just taking the edge off your own content because you are afraid.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's just as real as the original timeline. Hell, we're probably going to end up spending more time with this timeline's version of the world and characters by the time this is all done.

We also have no idea how much things will change in the future parts, or whether it even is an alternate timeline. We know it's an alternate canon, in that they've said before they're not holding themselves to the original universe's canon for the remake (including Compilation things), but for all we know this is just a version of the story where Sephiroth and/or Jenova can see the future and not actually about time travel or alternate universes.

Unless there's something in the game I'm unaware of that outright states (or at least strongly implies) Sephiroth is from a post-Advent Children future or something like that, in which case hell, maybe there are two Sephiroths this time :v:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

No its not just as real because theyre doing it specifically the way they are so the risks theyre taking with the story arent really risks. Its cowardly. Make a remake and do those things. Retell the story! You can't hurt the original game because its marinated in our consciousness for long enough. And if its a badly received effort then so be it. Look how many superman movies there are.

"Its real, but alternate canon" this is wishy-washy and fake and makes no sense.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kawalimus posted:

No its not just as real because theyre doing it specifically the way they are so the risks theyre taking with the story arent really risks. Its cowardly. Make a remake and do those things. Retell the story! You can't hurt the original game because its marinated in our consciousness for long enough. And if its a badly received effort then so be it. Look how many superman movies there are.

"Its real, but alternate canon" this is wishy-washy and fake and makes no sense.

They are doing a remake and doing those things. It's called "FFVII Remake". As FFVII is also a thing that is real, it will never be able to change or alter that. They could have every single living member of the team that made FFVII come down and say "This is the one true sequel and everything in it trumps FFVII" and it doesn't matter, FFVII will still be there for people that want to ignore the remake.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do you think fictional stories are real in some material way and exist separate from the telling? Because that's, like, the only way your argument makes sense.

This is a new story, that's all "alternate canon" means. It's a new story and can do new things. Whether it's a parallel universe, alternate timeline, or just a new version of the story with some meta twists, it's just as real as any other fictional story.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kawalimus posted:

finally *cracks cined knuckles* canon is fake

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ill try to form my thoughts better later. But if they are acknowledging the old events then no its not a remake in my mind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Look at it this way:

Like any story, Final Fantasy VII exists in multiple forms. It exists in its original text, and in the translated texts, and in your reading of it and mine, and in our memories of it, and it's different in every single one of those versions. This is just one more version added to the pile, this time told in a way that seems to want to comment on the nature of retelling stories in the first place.

Is it explicitly, in-universe, an "alternate timeline?" I don't know, maybe. I don't think that's ever explicitly said. Maybe it's just a version of the story where the villains have had a vision of the future and can use that knowledge to manipulate the heroes, while the forces of destiny push back. Maybe the original timeline doesn't exist in this universe at all--does that make it more "real?" If the original events haven't actually happened in-universe but the villains can see a potential future where they do, is that more "real" than if they did and the villains are trying to avert it through time travel?

What I'm saying is that they are retelling the story, and they threw a new metatextual twist on top. You don't have to like it, obviously, but to argue that somehow it isn't "real" is just arbitrary as hell.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's their story to tell. They own it. They could have made Sephiroth and Cloud gently caress (and they should have) and you could have hated that but it doesn't mean it's not real or didn't happen or doesn't exist. They get that right by owning the IP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Dave posted:

They could have made Sephiroth and Cloud gently caress (and they should have)

There's at least two more parts coming, plenty of time for this dream to become real

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

So the whole game is gonna cost $180?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

The Dave posted:

It's their story to tell. They own it. They could have made Sephiroth and Cloud gently caress (and they should have) and you could have hated that but it doesn't mean it's not real or didn't happen or doesn't exist. They get that right by owning the IP.

And people have a right to say when retelling or addition to the story, lore etc is horseshit, Is gackt also participating in the loving or just watching?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Is there a term for the ability of a work of fiction to be both the parent and child of itself? A game being both remake and sequel in one? Because it comes up in movies a fair bit with the trending of remakes lately and it's specifically happening here and in other games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dexo posted:

I'm putting my bet on you saving her. and things completely going to poo poo afterwards. Like she doesn't finish calling Holy.

Truly this is the Rebuild of Final Fantasy VII.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

This game is 30-40 hours long. It's a full game. The next parts will be like sequels.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Harrow posted:

This game is 30-40 hours long. It's a full game. The next parts will be like sequels.

the next parts are never coming out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the next parts are never coming out

They are in our hearts

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Realistically we're not even going to be able to carry over our progress into the next installments. You end part 1 of the Remake with max-level spells, tons of special attacks and abilities, and a bunch of summons that you get way, way earlier than you do in the original (where you don't even know summon materia exist until after you leave Midgar). They have to leave some room for your characters/abilities to continue to grow so I fully expect level/ability progression to start over each time, probably with no explanation at all, like Xenosaga.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

If you assume it'll be a trilogy, sure.

But that seems optimistic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The pessimism window has progressed from "well it's never coming out" to "well it's going to suck" to now "well the next episode's never coming out"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Plus part 2 would be coming out on the ps5 and who knows what connectivity will look like there
That’s not taking into account this plague just delaying everything indefinitely

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
4chan has embraced the timeline ghosts as a meme, maybe there's hope for this game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wouldn't be too surprised if part 2 ends up being both on PS4 and PS5, sorta like how Persona 5 was both PS3 and PS4. But yeah I doubt there'll be any sort of save game transfer, or if there is it'll just give you some small bonuses, extra starting gil, or like something cosmetic.

My expectation is still 2 or maybe 3 years between parts, like with the FFXIII games, though admittedly the next parts of the FFVII remake might be more ambitious than this one due to the wider variety of environments and the possibility of including more (and larger) explorable areas.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In every single Kingdom Hearts game there is always an explanation for why Sora loses all his amazing super powers at the start. I can give Nomura as much poo poo as anybody, but I trust him to explain away any power reset.

EDIT: If you believe the idea that now, with Part 1 done, they have a solid groundwork of assets ready to go and an engine they are comfortable with to realize the next few games in, I think it would take a gross amount of incompetence to have the next few games in this series take forever to come out.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 7, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Assuming Part 2 has already been in development for a while (I think I read that that was the case?) I'm guessing they're gonna try to get that out the door within 2 years at the absolute most. Diablo 4 is slated for cross-platform PS4/5 and that's coming out at the end of this year supposedly (though Blizzard always seems wildly optimistic about that stuff), but I can't imagine anything getting released more than a year from now is going to be bothering with that, especially since everyone is gonna be trying to show off all the PS5's shiny new tech.

Edit: I think the smart play would be to make sure the whole thing comes out on PS4 and then (knowing SE) just do a lazy upscale for PS5 because some people would absolutely double dip and it would seriously piss people off if they couldn't finish the story without buying a new $500 console.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 7, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No way diablo 4 is coming out this year, it'll be late 2021 at the earliest up to 2022.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Blockhouse posted:

The pessimism window has progressed from "well it's never coming out" to "well it's going to suck" to now "well the next episode's never coming out"

I wonder if we can get people to toxx for a part 2 release

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No way diablo 4 is coming out this year, it'll be late 2021 at the earliest up to 2022.

Yeah that's pretty much my expectation, though at that point I imagine they kill the PS4 release. Which is probably for the best - I'm still bummed about Phantom Pain getting shorted because of the instance on making it run on a PS3.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It took 2 years to release XIII-2 after XIII came out and that was one hell of a terrible engine for a terrible console. Even with the increase in complexity of development in general, I'd say thats the timeline they are going to be going on.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

So if they make at least 3 games for this and they release them every 2 years (this is all speculation), do y'all think they will make them all available for the ps4 or will the later parts be exclusive to the ps5?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51az0LDdnvE

Why are FF games afraid of massages? This was a gag in FFXV, too.

It's cute, I just don't understand it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

So if they make at least 3 games for this and they release them every 2 years (this is all speculation), do y'all think they will make them all available for the ps4 or will the later parts be exclusive to the ps5?

My guess is that part 2 at least will be both PS4 and PS5, but with part 3 at least 4 years away it might well be PS5 exclusive. Then again, Persona 5 came out like 3 years into the PS4's lifecycle and it was cross-platform so :shrug:

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Gologle posted:

On one hand, it would be kind of stupid in the next game if Aeris still dies and Zack is still dead considering this game's finale with defying fate, but on the other hand it would be funny as hell if all this speculation comes to naught.

the twist will be that in the new timeline Zack is still alive, sephiroth kills cloud, play the rest of the game as Zack

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It just occurred to me that this game isn't called Final Fantasy 7, it's called Remake.

The next "part" is Advent Children: Remake (or Before Crisis, the phone game prequel that never made it to the US)

also, this is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCylMf_F3I

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Weird BIAS posted:

Is there a term for the ability of a work of fiction to be both the parent and child of itself? A game being both remake and sequel in one? Because it comes up in movies a fair bit with the trending of remakes lately and it's specifically happening here and in other games.

the closest I can think of is "soft reboot". so things like jurassic world, the newest blade runner, etc.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51az0LDdnvE

Why are FF games afraid of massages? This was a gag in FFXV, too.

It's cute, I just don't understand it.

Rather have a Puff-puff myself.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

It just occurred to me that this game isn't called Final Fantasy 7, it's called Remake.

The next "part" is Advent Children: Remake (or Before Crisis, the phone game prequel that never made it to the US)

also, this is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCylMf_F3I

Did they replace his actual original theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rV40ypje7o

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

X-2's Shinra in X-2 and VII-R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Kawalimus posted:

this is reddit tier nonsense