Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1247624090955001858

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The "as planned" makes this sound more sinister than it is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All the replies saying the left wants everyone dead. I must have missed that meeting.

OwlFancier posted:

It's hard to see anything happening unless the universities face some consequences, if they're going to sell education as a commodity they can't be immune from consequences when they fail to provide it. And they also can't be allowed to use staff as human shields for their lovely governance.

But I don't think that just levying 30k of debt on everyone who wants anything other than the most basic job, regardless of whether they actually get anything out of it, is an acceptable end state, the consequences have to kick in somewhere, the money has to be going somewhere because it's sure as poo poo not going to the people who work at the universities.
Being as everyone seems to be watching Tiger King instead of going to class, a solution:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

All the replies saying the left wants everyone dead. I must have missed that meeting.

You are a left and I've heard your ideas about giant asteroids.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kin posted:

Granted my Uni might have just been poo poo, but almost all of my mathematics lectures were us just copying down what the lecturer wrote on the blackboard, which they themselves were copying from their notes from previous years. We literally spent about 15 hours a week manually copying formulas and stuff. The economics ones weren't much better as they simply regurgitated what was in the prescribed textbooks. It was like routine for them and when i resat one of the lectures one year it was weird because it was a little like groundhog day.

There was even one year where i skipped all of the economics classes, didn't even do the coursework or final exam, and was all but guaranteed a fail. Over the summer i just read the course textbook and then aced the re-sit which gave me a passing mark. Kind of put things into perspective for me.

I'm not really dissing on universities and whatnot because education is important, but if a class is essentially just churning out knowledge from other sources, what is the justification for the crazy high fees? Do other universities and other courses have more engaging teaching methods or is it secretly about the social network you build up at university which is the real thing that propels you into the next stage of your life?
Other universities do have more engaging teaching methods, I think. I did maths at Cambridge, and most of the lectures were just copying things down, but that was OK because most of the actual learning happened via grappling with the exercises and then talking them over in one-on-two supervisions. In other universities I've been at, the courses seem to change lecturers and syllabi fairly regularly, and it was a fairly common sentiment that the ideal length of time to teach a course for is three years. (Less than that and you're spending all your time writing new lecture materials, more than that and it starts calcifying as you describe.) In the course I teach, I can't really interact with people one-on-one because it's a gigantic class, but I've tried to make up for it with lots of formative assessment - easy weekly quizzes with instant feedback combined with harder fortnightly problem classes, and in-class tests to get people ready for the exam. Also, a good lecturer has one huge advantage over a textbook, which is that you can be informal and point out the motivation of what's going on. So instead of teaching the proof of Theorem 5.7, you teach how to prove things in general, and how you would use that knowledge to prove Theorem 5.7.

Of course, there's a hell of a lot of bad lecturers out there as well, because it's quite rare to find someone who can both a) bend their mind into horribly unnatural shapes to solve incredibly complicated mathematical puzzles and b) successfully explain what they're doing to normal people. And universities are reluctant to hire people who can only do b), because people who can only do b) don't bring in any grant money, but people who can only do a) can still be forced into a lecture hall, and the idea of long-term consequences for poor performance isn't really part for the average vice-chancellor's mindset.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hey nerds, I need a new laptop and don't have much money (maybe £300 at a push.) Thinking probably a refurb rather than shiny new. Don't game much these days, when I do it's unlikely to be bleeding edge stuff anyway. Currently running a 7(?) year old Alienware M14 R2 so anything with better spec than that will blow my aged mind.

Any suggestions/insights?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suspect they might be in rather high demand at the moment owing to the current working from home craze.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You are a left and I've heard your ideas about giant asteroids.
My position on giant asteroids is it's inferior and less reliable than slingshotting a hydrogen bomb into the sun.

Celestial body or press head office, either works.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Google says that's an i7? You're not gonna do hugely greater than that for under £300

Laptops are harder to find atm though because of everyone suddenly stuck at home.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Hey nerds, I need a new laptop and don't have much money (maybe £300 at a push.) Thinking probably a refurb rather than shiny new. Don't game much these days, when I do it's unlikely to be bleeding edge stuff anyway. Currently running a 7(?) year old Alienware M14 R2 so anything with better spec than that will blow my aged mind.

For 300 quid you aren't going to get anything appreciably faster than your Alienware tbh.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nettle Soup posted:

Google says that's an i7? You're not gonna do hugely greater than that for under £300

Laptops are harder to find atm though because of everyone suddenly stuck at home.

Yeah, fair enough. It's not even an upgrade that I need especially, just that my current laptop has 1) a screen smashed beyond use 2) a dodgy charger and hosed battery that won't hold a charge anyway 3) a missing Enter key

It's been through some stuff! But rather than throwing money at fixing it, seems more sensible to just get something newer now and avoid spending twice.

e: Maybe £300 is too tight, I dunno. £500?

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 7, 2020

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

If you aren’t planning on playing games I’d opt for a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad. Well built, stylish, excellent keyboard and the nipple that is far superior to any touchpad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're feeling bold and bored and quarantined you could try making it into a desktop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jeLCQ62vFk

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So Starmer did a Zoom call with some jews and anti-semitism is solved? Why didn't Jeremy just do that?!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

sebzilla posted:

I don't blame you for not wanting to go intoSH/SC but there is a thread for that https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

Also, unless you absolutely need a laptop for whatever reason, if this computer is just going to be sat on a desk, get a desktop. It's way better for your posture etc, and cheaper per unit performance.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bardeh posted:

So Starmer did a Zoom call with some jews and anti-semitism is solved? Why didn't Jeremy just do that?!

Because he hates the Jewish people OP

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Azza Bamboo posted:

The "as planned" makes this sound more sinister than it is.

My sister was told by a consultant that she did not want to work there and avoid it at all costs so

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bardeh posted:

He did, but when they asked him if he felt that Palestinians deserved to exist he gave the wrong* answer.

* FCVO

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1247530229779673097?s=19

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
The people wishing for Boris' death are sick.

I'd really rather he makes a full recovery so he can go on trial and be executed for crimes against humanity, much more satisfying.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord Ludikrous posted:

If you aren’t planning on playing games I’d opt for a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad. Well built, stylish, excellent keyboard and the nipple that is far superior to any touchpad.
I was just about to link this and say go for the high end version.

But yeah, that's only if you need a laptop. I bet there's going to be a bunch of SFF business PCs appearing on auction sites soon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno I genuinely don't think you could make a better refutation of toryism than the boss tory killing himself by torying too hard.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
RE: Boris, and the discussion last month about having no decent modern tunes to chant to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3to8QdXlpU

(i'm sure this is to the tune of some traditional hymn)

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 7, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

sebzilla posted:

Yeah, fair enough. It's not even an upgrade that I need especially, just that my current laptop has 1) a screen smashed beyond use 2) a dodgy charger and hosed battery that won't hold a charge anyway 3) a missing Enter key

It's been through some stuff! But rather than throwing money at fixing it, seems more sensible to just get something newer now and avoid spending twice.

i3 or i5, at least 8gb of RAM, at least 256gb m.2 or SATA SSD.

Those are the key criteria.

Something like the GeForce MX 250 graphics card will provide a very significant boost to performance... but those are generally rare even at £500.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If you just need to browse the net you can get some really solid and performant Chromebooks with great battery life for £250, but you'll only be doing chrome/(some) android/Linux stuff on them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RockyB posted:

Oh come all ye faithful.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The AMD Ryzen range is solid as hell too. Mainly what you need is a current gen CPU, regardless of what power you settle on. Modern CPUs are extremely quick off the mark compared to older gens, so even a relatively cheap one is going to handle day to day tasks well.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bardeh posted:

The right kind of Jews

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Bardeh posted:

Real talk the antisemitism thing was legit the nastiest, most morally disgusting smear campaign in the history of the UK press and it is all so frustrating but phrasing or especially internalising stuff as 'did a call with some jews' even as rhetoric is super reductive and toxic.

There are a lot of young jews that care deeply about the disabled and the homeless and are angry about inequality that shouldn't be lumped in with the scummy Professional Representatives Of Jewishness types or the entirely cynical establishment media scum that concern trolled about anti-semitism so effectively. It's extremely easy for us to differentiate between class analysis and bigotry because it literally is the truth, there's not a single person here that became left-wing because they had animus against jewish people, the entire concept is a spook, but that kind of lazy phrasing is still lovely don't do it make the distinction in your rhetoric too.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno I genuinely don't think you could make a better refutation of toryism than the boss tory killing himself by torying too hard.

Yeah even the Facebook Libs in my life have grudgingly admitted it would be funny as gently caress if the willful architect of https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/uk-will-be-europes-worst-hit-by-coronavirus-study-predicts got got by his own petard.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

incredible shock as "no corbyns allowed" party backs non-corbyn candidate

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

lmao remember change UK?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Butternubs posted:

The people wishing for Boris' death are sick.

I'd really rather he makes a full recovery so he can go on trial and be executed for crimes against humanity, much more satisfying.

1) Not really, for reasons already expressed.

2) He'd never be executed anyway, so settle for what you can get.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

sebzilla posted:

How desperate are you for portability? I just picked up a refurbed Dell Optiplex to use as a media server for under £200 on Ebay. i7 processor, 8GB of RAM, 500GB sata HDD. It's not going to be doing any serious gaming but it seems to be functioning pretty well for all general PC stuff.

You'd need a monitor and a cheap wireless KB/M, but if you've got a half decent TV you can just HDMI it up to that instead so you still get the perks of computing from your comfy living room sofa.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The AMD Ryzen range is solid as hell too. Mainly what you need is a current gen CPU, regardless of what power you settle on. Modern CPUs are extremely quick off the mark compared to older gens, so even a relatively cheap one is going to handle day to day tasks well.

I still don't trust AMD to keep up with driver support.

But yes it's probably better read as "do not get an Intel processor that isn't i3/i5/i7 those things are gaaarbage and so are the AMD APU devices".

EDIT Also, current-ish gen (8000+) i3/i5/i7. Devices predating i5-4xxxx have severe problems in modern systems.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

lmao remember change UK?

Making an in memorandum video for The CUKs with that one photo of them in Nandos with several different crossfades and star wipes all set to Leave the memories alone by Fuel.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Bardeh posted:

It will forever stick in my craw that this bad faith bollocks was seriously allowed to unseat Jeremy.

The only thing making this easier to swallow is knowing the board of deputies are going to throw a bitch fit realising their value and influence is spent and they're not going to have calls returned again. I hope they choke on the indignity.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

pumpinglemma posted:

Sincere question, not trying to dig at you: what do you actually want, beyond for the coronavirus to not be happening?

I guess since I'm in the middle of working on my dissertation and it's happened at a pretty crucial point I'm just a little highly strung and want to complain. I do agree with you that just emailing over some powerpoints is the best way to go - we tried some live lectures but a) I don't think anyone showed up, and b) it was mired with technical problems - though it does come after years of being told that simply reading lecture slides after the fact is no substitute for the real thing and that's why we pay fees lol

I suppose on a more general, fundamental (and totally unsolvable) level, I would prefer the content of my degree to be a little more than official proof that I'm good at reading things and then writing words down in a good enough order, but that's just the way it is. Comparatively I'm getting it pretty good, my fees are only ~£4,300 a year and my course directors are decent enough - anecdotally I've heard the responses by some universities, especially regarding accommodation, is absolutely dire. up until a week or so ago a friend's uni was trying to get them to pay around £2000 in rent for a place they had already left, and prior to this they were saying that the only way they could offer a refund is if they managed to get someone else to start renting the place. I can only imagine how many people are getting scammed by their landlords and universities themselves

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RockyB posted:

Oh Come All Ye Faithful, it's common around Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gonzo McFee posted:

Making an in memorandum video for The CUKs with that one photo of them in Nandos with several different crossfades and star wipes all set to Leave the memories alone by Fuel.

Add that one interview where Anna Soubry was talking about how much she missed Chuka and was very sad about how he suddenly stopped communicating with CUK