Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

True, and that’s why Powered Positive Air Pressure Respirators are preferred in industry.

Wow she’s really doubling up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The gloves are the screen door in her suit of armour.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Platystemon posted:

True, and that’s why Powered Positive Air Pressure Respirators are preferred in industry.

where can i loot one of these?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I found this comment from a hospital administrator’s report funny:

quote:

Furthermore, patients can see the worker's face more easily when the worker is wearing a PAPR than when the person is wearing an N95 respirator, so patients are not as frightened.

Yeah, no. If I don’t understand what’s wrong with me, and someone shows up at my bedside dressed like a space marine, I would be concerned.

owlhawk911 posted:

where can i loot one of these?

You could pickpocket it off a medical professional, but that’s bad karma.

They’re in the loot table at Amazon warehouses. Low spawn rate.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 6, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can anyone identify the rapper at 2:15 of Sick by Astronautalis?

https://youtu.be/87esfXiITF0?t=2m15s

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 7, 2020

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

tuyop posted:

Not sure the vid works

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Robokomodo posted:

Not sure the vid works

Oh, post got all weird and embedded my video between url tags. Should be fixed now.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm moving from Oregon to Washington.

I have a few furniture items ranging from $5-$12k and I want to have them covered for their replacement cost if they become damaged in transit. None are electronics. I'm hiring movers, but their insurance (60c per pound or like $1 per pound for the upgrade) is inadequate, and the FVP policies I can find still work through poundage (like $6 a lb--still too little). My renters policy doesn't cover items in transit, nor do they have additional coverage I can purchase.

Nothing is irreplaceable (that is, I can go and buy it again), and the pieces I'm concerned about run about $30k in total.

What should I be looking to buy and from whom?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

What should I be looking to buy and from whom?
If the moving company doesn't offer full replacement value coverage call around, others will. They should have an insurance company they deal with regularly, I'd be mildly worried if they don't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I see tweets like this all the time:

https://twitter.com/summerbrennan/status/1247369953856143360

asking for people to just tell them random bits of personal-but-not-private trivia. And hundreds of people respond. What is the goal here? What do the people asking get out of it and what do the people responding get out of it? The whole thing just seems like a complete waste of time for all parties to me. :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Humans crave social contact, OP.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

asking for people to just tell them random bits of personal-but-not-private trivia. And hundreds of people respond. What is the goal here? What do the people asking get out of it and what do the people responding get out of it? The whole thing just seems like a complete waste of time for all parties to me. :confused:

engagement

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Memento posted:

engagement

social media (and youtube) algorithms give you popularity credits when people comment or otherwise react to your 'content'

so you're incentivized to mass produce trivial inquisitory garbage.

See also: push notifications being counted as a Daily Active User

Methanar fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 7, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tiggum posted:

What do you think a “social network” is? People interacting socially.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Methanar posted:

social media (and youtube) algorithms give you popularity credits when people comment or otherwise react to your 'content'

so you're incentivized to mass produce trivial inquisitory garbage.

See also: push notifications being counted as a Daily Active User
A friend was a model with an agency and part of her social media training was to include a question in the caption of every Instagram post. Didn't really matter what the question was, just gotta get those numbers up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FCKGW posted:

What do you think a “social network” is? People interacting socially.

There's no conversation happening though. It's just a pointless survey for no one?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tiggum posted:

There's no conversation happening though. It's just a pointless survey for no one?

it's for the algorithm op

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Tiggum posted:

There is, though. At least for a while the op is responding to posts. Though in a cynical marketing sense, they do that to encourage more people to respond, because they too want the conversations.

For some people, yeah, it's just curiosity and social interaction, as people do. For others, it's marketing to try to become an Influencer and make those sweet sweet pennies.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Methanar posted:

it's for the algorithm op

Please like and subscribe and leave a comment below.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Shut up Meg posted:

Please like and subscribe and leave a comment below.

What do you think about this guys.

Please leave a comment below and let me know what you think. I really do read all the comments it means a lot to me.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The customer service AI that is trained on all this highly engaging bullshit puffery is going to be so loving annoying

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

greazeball posted:

The customer service AI that is trained on all this highly engaging bullshit puffery is going to be so loving annoying

unsubscribe

confirmed

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

tuyop posted:

https://youtu.be/87esfXiITF0?t=2m15s

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Are the heart rate sensors on any fitness trackers worth a drat these days? I know the first ones that came out years ago were basically worthless, bit did they get any better with time?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are the heart rate sensors on any fitness trackers worth a drat these days? I know the first ones that came out years ago were basically worthless, bit did they get any better with time?

The one on my Apple Watch is pretty solid.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

What’s your use case? Chest straps offer the most accuracy and fastest response time. Anything optical will always lag, which is fine if you’re doing steady state stuff but nearly worthless for anything high intensity where your HR will go up and down rapidly.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
What's the best place to read about immigrating to Canada from the US?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

olives black posted:

What's the best place to read about immigrating to Canada from the US?

Are you looking for something specific or just the process in general?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

CzarChasm posted:

Are you looking for something specific or just the process in general?

Process in general. If there's a thread with expatriates from the US talking about their experience then that'd be even better.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
tips for folding normal sized paper into thank you card sized envelopes

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

tips for folding normal sized paper into thank you card sized envelopes

Fold over the center once to make a vertical crease, then bend the top edge down gently until it is at the halfway mark between the bottom edge and the remaining length. Crease, then fold once more so it's almost in perfect thirds.

Also works the reverse way (horizontal, then vertical). Depends on the dimensions of the envelope.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I didn't see a better thread for this so... I paid for some prescriptions with my HSA but since I was past my out-of-pocket max the insurance company sent me a check for the amount. Do I have to put the money back in the HSA?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

I didn't see a better thread for this so... I paid for some prescriptions with my HSA but since I was past my out-of-pocket max the insurance company sent me a check for the amount. Do I have to put the money back in the HSA?

There's an insurance thread too even though the OP is banned you'll probably have a shot asking there if you don't get an answer here.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

I’m not sure what this thing is that you’re using but thanks!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I have an old laptop that's not doing anything so I thought I could put it to some use by making it just tell me the news all day. What I want is just to have it show the most recent few posts from https://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/

There is an RSS feed, which seems like it would be perfect for this, but I'm having trouble finding an RSS reader that will do what I want. The closest I've come is one that only shows the headlines and cycles through them too quickly to be useful. What I want is basically that actual ABC webpage but auto-refreshing and without all the headers and menus and sidebar. Does anyone know of a website or program that does this?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You might be able to hide the headers with uBlock origin. Refreshing could be done through another browser add-on.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
If someone has two jobs that offer health insurance, could they just take both and file with whichever one covers more? I can find some info if a person has two options for insurance (your plan + your spouses plan, for example), but I'm wondering about 2 policies with the same person on it as the main... person.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maybe, but if one covers more than the other why would you pay for the lesser one you’d never use?

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
The only way to get out of the first one, outside of open enrollment, is a life event like getting married or whatever, and nothing planned for the future qualifies. I'm just worried that having two of them is against the T&C of most insurances and would invalidate claims from both or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

life is a joke posted:

The only way to get out of the first one, outside of open enrollment, is a life event like getting married or whatever, and nothing planned for the future qualifies. I'm just worried that having two of them is against the T&C of most insurances and would invalidate claims from both or something.
I don't see why, you'd be a more valuable customer to both companies.