Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what is this surrender bull shite. nobody is even close to a majority yet, the narrative that biden has won is being desperately pushed. bernie is behind but it is NOT over

no surrender motherfuckers

You'll know when it's over because either Bernie will be the nominee or DNC types will stop frantically tweeting that he needs to withdraw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It can not be stressed enough, and I should maybe even be using a stupid clap emoji every other word, but:
The primaries are not over. Over half the country still has yet to vote.
Get your absentee and mail-in ballots, get them loving yesterday, tell everyone you can to do the same and pass the word along.

The DNC is absolutely banking on their ghouls to die for Biden while everyone else stays home.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I wonder how the state with the most delegates this month (Ohio) being a state with just absentee ballot voting, no in-person stuff, is gonna affect things. The other 2 non-Wisconsin states (Alaska and Wyoming, both with a small amount of delegates) are also no in-person as well

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Now we just need the Mr. Skin guy downgrading the boob scenes in Embrace of the Vampire and that one Outer Limits from four boners to three.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

the_steve posted:

It can not be stressed enough, and I should maybe even be using a stupid clap emoji every other word, but:
Get your absentee and mail-in ballots, get them loving yesterday, tell everyone you can to do the same and pass the word along.

The DNC is absolutely banking on their ghouls to die for Biden while everyone else stays home.

This is true, but my personal worry is that the dnc will cut the number of delegates for the states that postpone their primary, thus reducing the number of available delegates. Maybe I'm misinformed though so idk

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

the_steve posted:

Similarly, you know who sets the rules at the convention? National delegates. You know who picks the nominee if Biden doesn't get a majority, or drops out, or dies? National delegates.

Anyone who's worried about Them stealing the convention has absolutely no excuse: go to your county party's website, contact your county party, become a delegate to your state convention. Campaign to become a national delegate. Save democracy. Save the world.

Rainbow Knight posted:

This is true, but my personal worry is that the dnc will cut the number of delegates for the states that postpone their primary, thus reducing the number of available delegates. Maybe I'm misinformed though so idk

admittedly committee membership gets a little Weird if this starts happening, but that makes the delegates that do get on that much more important

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

You might want to read that post again.

Ugh. In my defense I got like four hours sleep last night :negative:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

A4R8 posted:

https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1247540886885543936?s=21

The general election is going to be loving priceless.

Joe Biden is only qualified to bag my groceries at Publix and make small talk about Ebbets field.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Also if anyone cares, john lewis endorsed biden, because of course he did.

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1247456581077233666

Yeah, the next generations going to speak out, all right.

i like the reply with the picture that says people want results not a revolution. What a moron. Biden is going to start from a right wing position and then compromise even further to the right. I bet they will claim victory for legislation that is passed because it is only slightly less theocratic death cultish than usual. gently caress thse people

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Enigma89 posted:

Any Sander supporters still think a win is possible? I've pretty much given up all hope. :(

I think the only thing coming down the pike for us is a Trump win and I bet we are going to lose some house seats because a lot of people are going to stay home.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Campaign to become a national delegate.

okey dokey.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 7, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/repjohnlewis/status/751432205826715648?s=20

ManBoyChef posted:

i like the reply with the picture that says people want results not a revolution. What a moron. Biden is going to start from a right wing position and then compromise even further to the right. I bet they will claim victory for legislation that is passed because it is only slightly less theocratic death cultish than usual. gently caress thse people

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Similarly, you know who sets the rules at the convention? National delegates. You know who picks the nominee if Biden doesn't get a majority, or drops out, or dies? National delegates.

Anyone who's worried about Them stealing the convention has absolutely no excuse: go to your county party's website, contact your county party, become a delegate to your state convention. Campaign to become a national delegate. Save democracy. Save the world.

This is very real and very true, and it's why I'm glad Bernie is staying in the race. We need Good People elected delegates to this thing, because there's a non-zero chance that neither Biden nor Bernie are in shape to run. Wild and scary times.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

How are u posted:

This is very real and very true, and it's why I'm glad Bernie is staying in the race. We need Good People elected delegates to this thing, because there's a non-zero chance that neither Biden nor Bernie are in shape to run. Wild and scary times.

It's also why I continue to support Sanders in general not really campaigning, just raising funds for the healthcare workers and functionaries. I expect his campaigning arm to light up again once the delegates start meeting and hashing out an agenda though whenever that is decided to go forward in the summer.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/es_snipes/status/796711963917094912?s=19

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

God it's so unfair she had to die.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

This is such a stupid thing to say, holy poo poo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deviant posted:

okey dokey.

:toot: Thank you!

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Mr. Lobe posted:

God it's so unfair she had to die.

what? I thought it was eric garner that died?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

admittedly committee membership gets a little Weird if this starts happening, but that makes the delegates that do get on that much more important

As a (state) delegate, aren’t you beholden to voting as you’re told though? I guess you get more power in the national, assuming it makes round 2, but otherwise?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ManBoyChef posted:

She died last year I think.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

As a (state) delegate, aren’t you beholden to voting as you’re told though? I guess you get more power in the national, assuming it makes round 2, but otherwise?

The idea is that maybe no one gets a majority which means it makes it to the 2nd vote.

Still wont matter though, because of the super delegates.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ManBoyChef posted:

She had a difficult pregnancy, had a heart attack soon after the child was born, then had a second heart attack a few months later and died at 27.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

That is heartbreaking.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Apogee15 posted:

The idea is that maybe no one gets a majority which means it makes it to the 2nd vote.

Biden getting an outright majority is nearly certain. We want delegates in place in case he drops dead or his brain turns into so much pudding that his team pulls the plug on his campaign. If that happens, the first round becomes a free-for-all.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ManBoyChef posted:

That is heartbreaking.

There is lots of coverage about the victims of police brutality (or at least there used to be) but very little about the shockwaves and aftereffects on families and communities. It is not uncommon for family members of victims to fall ill or die because the grief of losing a loved one plus dealing with all the attention and pressure and stress can knock you down and you can't get back up.

Erica Garner was left to shoulder the burden of keeping her father's name alive (including conflicts with her father's wife over who was his advocate), fighting with NYC and the federal government for justice, trying to find her own way in activism, while also navigating the larger nonprofit/political world where plenty of people and organizations were happy to trade on her notoriety in order to use her as an attack dog or a firebrand but very few were willing to make a way for her so that she could take care of herself and her family.

She did an interview not long before she died talking about how she wanted to get educated and be a journalist and be an advocate for people who came from similar circumstances as her. It should've been easy to set her up with a scholarship or some nice entry level writing gig somewhere but nobody did. IIRC she was tweeting about housing difficulties and trying to come up with subway fare not long before her second heart attack.

Just bleak all around. I hope her children are being well cared for.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Erica Garner was left to shoulder the burden of keeping her father's name alive (including conflicts with her father's wife over who was his advocate), fighting with NYC and the federal government for justice, trying to find her own way in activism, while also navigating the larger nonprofit/political world where plenty of people and organizations were happy to trade on her notoriety in order to use her as an attack dog or a firebrand but very few were willing to make a way for her so that she could take care of herself and her family.
Those positions are all earmarked for board members' relatives. (I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, please forgive me.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Apogee15 posted:

only around 15% of total delegates in the second round are supers (and not all supers are evil, just lots of them), but yeah, the reason we need delegates is in case Biden doesn't get the majority or doesn't make it to the convention, and also to influence the party platform and the 2024 presidential rules

even if you're bound as a biden delegate (which, again, is imo the correct strategic choice for goons who can stomach it), you're not bound to support and advocate for his policies, and we can try and make President Ocasio-Cortez's 2024 run that little bit easier.

edit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3288_story.html

quote:

“If Bernie remains in the race, he will undoubtedly be over the 25% threshold necessary to get enough members on the Rules and Platform Committees who can fight for our vision of a progressive party,” said the email, which was signed by Larry Cohen, board chairman of Our Revolution.

The rules changes that Sanders allies fought for after the 2016 race, including one that prevents automatic “superdelegates” from voting on the first ballot of the convention, would expire unless agreed to by the key committees this year.

“Things like that would be at risk if the senator doesn’t hit 15 percent in the remaining primaries,” said Paco Fabian, a spokesman for Our Revolution. “We have very little confidence, if not zero, that the rules implemented last time would remain in place. We need to make sure they’re made permanent.”

Inferior Third Season posted:

Biden getting an outright majority is nearly certain. We want delegates in place in case he drops dead or his brain turns into so much pudding that his team pulls the plug on his campaign. If that happens, the first round becomes a free-for-all.

as i recall the rules don't actually cover that eventuality lol

the rules committee would have to make a decision (unbind the bound delegates, decide whether supers get to vote on the new first ballot, etc), and is almost entirely made up of... convention delegates!

sort of; right now it's made up of DNC types

Waltzing Along posted:

I went to the DNC website to register as a delegate in CA. I can't do it as I am not registered as a democrat nor will I ever register as a democrat again. Oh well.

yeah rules and deadlines vary which is why i'm pushing people to do it now, in case they still can but their time's up next week or whatever

thanks for trying :)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 8, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I went to the DNC website to register as a delegate in CA. I can't do it as I am not registered as a democrat nor will I ever register as a democrat again. Oh well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't see how you could expect to be a delegate to the Democratic Party Convention if you're not, in fact, a Democrat :lol:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

only around 15% of total delegates in the second round are supers (and not all supers are evil, just lots of them), but yeah, the reason we need delegates is in case Biden doesn't get the majority or doesn't make it to the convention, and also to influence the party platform and the 2024 presidential rules

even if you're bound as a biden delegate (which, again, is imo the correct strategic choice for goons who can stomach it), you're not bound to support and advocate for his policies, and we can try and make President Ocasio-Cortez's 2024 run that little bit easier.

So start local in hopes of moving to national later? And how does being a delegate help in being an advocate? Just trying to understand.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

So start local in hopes of moving to national later? And how does being a delegate help in being an advocate? Just trying to understand.

I think in Texas you have to be a state delegate to become a national delegate. It's what I'm doing, anyway. :v: I guess technically you could bug the national delegates as just a rando citizen but it probably helps to actually be a part of the convention.

fake edit: some national delegates are elected at the district level, some are elected at-large

i'm not completely up on the district election process yet (but i better fix that lol), but it looks like at-large election takes place at the state convention.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
When do the results from the Wisconsin sham start coming in?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RasperFat posted:

The commonality is that Biden likes to force his finger inside both of them.

"...they're small and I can sneak 'em"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Haha pretty cool if John Lewis to pick Strom Thurmond’s eulogizer over someone who marched with MLK and carried his ideals very cool of John Lewis to reach us the meaning of hypocrisy 👍

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Liberals love a good road to Damascus conversion story as much as the evangelicals, it’s just that they put capital in place of God.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/mooncult/status/1247694391491223552?s=20

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Brony Car posted:

When do the results from the Wisconsin sham start coming in?

you really don't want to know the answer to that, but I will spoiler text it for your blood pressure's sake

no earlier than next Monday

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I tried to register as a district level delegate in Georgia. Apparently the election of these delegates is happening from 7 AM to 7 PM on April 11 at the following location:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

you really don't want to know the answer to that, but I will spoiler text it for your blood pressure's sake

no earlier than next Monday

Great so we have to rush to the polls during a pandemic because the election can’t be delayed, but as far as the results?

Hey, what’s the rush? Relax, big guy!