Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Strep Vote posted:

Jesus Christ loving postpone the goddamn elections

God-President Trump denies your motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

luv 2 live in a failed KKK TV jesus state

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Rah! posted:

luv 2 live in a failed KKK TV jesus state

Will you pray with me as we put the homeless in the ovens?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/MarcACaputo/status/1247672346783232002

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Myron Baloney posted:

Why is Wisconsin so often the scene for bullshit (other than having a population that will always sit and take it I guess)?

On the question of why would either party commit election crimes when they can just do legal suppression - because when they get caught nothing happens and they know it. Remember Kathy Nickolaus? We have stupid and weak systems on purpose to obscure intentional crimes, but whoops it was just a mistake, my bad!

WI Republicans go hard against the paint

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

why the gently caress not

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I take it bernie is suspending his campaign tomorrow?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Asproigerosis posted:

Hey mods, can I keep my gang tag?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

olives black posted:

Hey mods, can I keep my gang tag?

why wouldnt you be able to

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So how hosed are we today?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Asproigerosis posted:

why what happened

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

super sweet best pal posted:

So how hosed are we today?

no results until monday

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pomp posted:

because it would give all voters the ability to vote.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pingui posted:

So I see what you are writing, I understand that you don't think it is possible to see any change in the primary election voting. I don't disagree that so far this election has demonstrate that the MSM is very effective at focusing 2/3 or the electorate in a certain direction. But that was then and extrapolating from the relative normalcy of March until the 17th in to a month that is currently seeing the initial mass graves and could be seeing 20% unemployment at end of month, is complete and utter lunacy. The US went mental on 9/11 and a new normal went into play. 9/11 was nothing compared to the current poo poo storm.

In essence this chaos depresses distribution curve and makes either tail-end more likely. You are saying you think it will make one leg more likely, which is true. But it also makes the other leg more likely which you reject, apparently premised on your gut feeling. I would suggest that this gut feeling is premised on how things normally are. So let me posit this: the one-two punch of Corona and economic meltdown is not normal, it does not make for a normal primary and voters are unlikely to act normally.

What will voters reaction be to mass graves across the country?
What will voters reaction be to 20% or 30% unemployment?
What will voters reaction be to mass looting and rioting?
What will voters reaction be to seeing their friends or family die in droves from lack of insurance?
What will ... you get the idea.

I don't know the answer to any of these questions. Why do you think you do?

A Trump -> Biden shift (or vice versa), is a completely different situation because there's a decent portion of voters who flip between Republican and Democrat, and the current situation is going to have a huge impact on whether people support the status quo (which they perceive as Trump - they don't think of Biden as being the same because the media doesn't tell them that). And people who are so willing to switch parties are also fundamentally different from the sort of person who votes in a party primary (and particularly older people). The problem is that you can't control where these people are getting information, and these people get almost all their information from media propaganda. I can't conceive of any circumstance that would lead older Democrats to decide that voting for Bernie is the way to go, short of the media suddenly rallying behind him. No matter how bad things get, older Democrats would continue to receive the message that Biden is the solution to their ills.

Another way of putting this is to ask if you would say that there's a reasonable chance that a large portion of current Bernie primary voters switch to preferring Trump over Bernie. Even if it increased uncertainty technically made such an outcome less unlikely, I think most people would still agree that it's negligible. I believe that older Democratic primary voters strongly going against media messaging within such a short time frame is fundamentally against their very nature, just as much as it is for Bernie supporters to suddenly start supporting Trump.

The important thing here is that these people don't understand that things like the pandemic and economy have any meaningful connection to differing ideology within the Democratic Party (or to the extent they do understand, they believe it's insignificant compared with the impact of Trump/Republicans). If our current president was a Democrat, this might have an impact in the primary, but they already have someone to blame (and it isn't going to be the Democratic Party, at least during this primary).

This isn't to say Bernie has no chance of winning, but the reason he has a chance is that there's a non-trivial chance that Biden is not able to finish the primary. Older Democrats will never be convinced to support Bernie over Biden, but if you swap Biden for someone else the situation changes. For this reason it's important to continue voting for Bernie (to the extent that people can safely do so via mail voting, etc). There's still uncertainty and small cause for hope - it just has nothing to do with Biden supporters changing their opinions.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

so how many people are going to die because of Wisconsin voting?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Still in it baybeeee

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Jeb won again

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Think anyone dies before their vote is counted?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gumball Gumption posted:

Think anyone dies before their vote is counted?

Plenty of dead people have voted

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/JordanChariton/status/1247702011744849920?s=19

God this loving rear end in a top hat.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He still can't even poo poo talk the Republicans on this one. gently caress this dude.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://mobile.twitter.com/BetaODork/status/1247511492141948931

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

With 0% of delegates reporting, Pete Buttigieg declares victory in the latest primary!!!

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

holy poo poo

as I watched, I kept going "no, those can't all be people... right?"

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Never voting for this piece of poo poo ever

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

that's iran

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wrex Ruckus posted:

holy poo poo

That's from the Iranian CIA/General dude's funeral service (repatriation of corpse or whatever).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Wrex Ruckus posted:

holy poo poo

wisconsin was just really driven to vote by soleimani’s death

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I am a fool.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I am a fool.

in good company based on the twitter replies

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Draxion posted:

that's iran

I can't believe Iran would steal our city.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/sbotcher/status/1247679531454017536?s=20

https://twitter.com/sbotcher/status/1247218215949938688?s=20

bing bong just bribe the post office if you wanna suppress the vote

e: at the same time I’m confused since this is probably white republican country

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

marmot25 posted:

e: at the same time I’m confused since this is probably white republican country

Talked with some family in Wisconsin a while ago and they said the local mail sorting facility was shut down to consolidate at a location 45~60 minutes away. So ballots for their city get routed to another city, post marked, sorted, and then sent back to the first city. Fewer sorting facilities, when an issue arises at one, disrupts distribution to more people. To your point, it also magnifies the effect of malicious actors.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

marmot25 posted:

It's probably just normal incompetence but a key to the effectiveness of the Republican voter suppression machine is that they do hit their own people with these measures as well, they just hit them much less hard on a rate basis

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pomp posted:

Because they're Florida?

Or has Florida gotten an election system that's not among the worst in the world sometime when it wasn't paying attention?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1247543420098433026?s=19

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Haha with bernie not winning the nomination there's literally nothing positive to look forward to politically in this life on this planet for at least another decade or maybe ever since climate change is coming and it's all thanks to liberal idiot american suburbanites hahahahahahah

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Al-Saqr posted:

Haha with bernie not winning the nomination there's literally nothing positive to look forward to politically in this life on this planet for at least another decade or maybe ever since climate change is coming and it's all thanks to liberal idiot american suburbanites hahahahahahah

maybe in the formal structures of American democracy, but you know there's like Amazon strikes going on, right?

in the next few months to the next year, a whole lot of Americans are going to have a whole lot less to lose. if you don't see political opportunity in that arrangement, then I am not sure what else to conclude but that you are a victim of the deliberate narrowing of the US political imagination. you should consider not being that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Ytlaya posted:

A Trump -> Biden shift (or vice versa), is a completely different situation because there's a decent portion of voters who flip between Republican and Democrat, and the current situation is going to have a huge impact on whether people support the status quo (which they perceive as Trump - they don't think of Biden as being the same because the media doesn't tell them that). And people who are so willing to switch parties are also fundamentally different from the sort of person who votes in a party primary (and particularly older people). The problem is that you can't control where these people are getting information, and these people get almost all their information from media propaganda. I can't conceive of any circumstance that would lead older Democrats to decide that voting for Bernie is the way to go, short of the media suddenly rallying behind him. No matter how bad things get, older Democrats would continue to receive the message that Biden is the solution to their ills.

Another way of putting this is to ask if you would say that there's a reasonable chance that a large portion of current Bernie primary voters switch to preferring Trump over Bernie. Even if it increased uncertainty technically made such an outcome less unlikely, I think most people would still agree that it's negligible. I believe that older Democratic primary voters strongly going against media messaging within such a short time frame is fundamentally against their very nature, just as much as it is for Bernie supporters to suddenly start supporting Trump.

The important thing here is that these people don't understand that things like the pandemic and economy have any meaningful connection to differing ideology within the Democratic Party (or to the extent they do understand, they believe it's insignificant compared with the impact of Trump/Republicans). If our current president was a Democrat, this might have an impact in the primary, but they already have someone to blame (and it isn't going to be the Democratic Party, at least during this primary).

This isn't to say Bernie has no chance of winning, but the reason he has a chance is that there's a non-trivial chance that Biden is not able to finish the primary. Older Democrats will never be convinced to support Bernie over Biden, but if you swap Biden for someone else the situation changes. For this reason it's important to continue voting for Bernie (to the extent that people can safely do so via mail voting, etc). There's still uncertainty and small cause for hope - it just has nothing to do with Biden supporters changing their opinions.

Data shows 2/3 of voters voted on electability, roughly half of Biden's voters say they are willing to change and massive shifts are occurring between the parties (way beyond and at a timescale that are both unheard of - I reject your notion that this is more likely than intraparty shifts and am confounded that you specify old people as particularly unwilling to change, when said interparty shift is +7/-8 in the 65+ cohort). These all show that the election is extremely fluid. Meanwhile your gut says otherwise. Well, I can't argue with your gut.