Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Mirko doesn't like teamwork, but does teaming up with other Mirkos count as teamwork?

Now I'm just imagining Twice copying Mirko but none of them get along with each other and keep fighting each other over who deserves to be the leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Next chapter Mirko successfully takes out Shigaraki before he wakes up and brings about the end of the League, cut to Mirko narrating this story in the future.

Mirko: "And that's how I became the greatest her of all time!"
Kid: "But I thought this story about about Izuku Midoriya?"
Mirko: "Shhhhh."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rhonne posted:

Next chapter Mirko successfully takes out Shigaraki before he wakes up and brings about the end of the League, cut to Mirko narrating this story in the future.

Mirko: "And that's how I became the greatest her of all time!"
Kid: "But I thought this story about about Izuku Midoriya?"
Mirko: "Shhhhh."

Kid: How did you know the parts your weren't there for?
Mirko: *kicks kid in the jaw*

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mystic Mongol posted:

So let's briefly touch on Uraraka.

She's poor as gently caress. Her parents own a construction company, and her quirk to make things weightless would be incredibly useful for them. This is a competitive edge that should let her family make mad bank. But there's no regulatory body that will let her use her quirk to haul girders up to the third floor. There's no training system, there are no guidelines for her to use her quirk for industrial purposes. OSHA isn't there to tell her how many high visibility flags she needs to attach to her zero gravity loads. If she wants to use her quirk to enrich her family or herself, she has to be licensed as a hero.

This is completely incorrect and based on a bad translation. What actually happened is that Uraraka, who wanted to be a hero as a kid, was going to give that up to use her quirk for the family business, but her parents refused to let her give up her dream. She wants to make money as a hero because she wants to repay her parents sacrifice by ensuring they can retire early and never have to work again.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mirko is taking a shot at the main antagonist and was getting hosed up pretty badly in the process. Her life hangs on how horny Horikoshi is for her, which seems to be extremely. He could off her just to eliminate the temptation to keep drawing her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mystic Mongol posted:

In the Villain/Army showdown, we see Geten's childish might makes right attitude, Curious trying to redeem society's opinions towards people with debilitative or mind affecting quirks, Trumpet's patriarchal calls towards collective responsibility, and Skeptic's meritocratic vision. They don't go together... which is why I kind of ignored the grade school dropout. But now the fact they don't have a coherent ideology makes a lot more sense to me.
I love this manga so so much.

None of them contradicted each other. Curious just wanted to spin Toga's story to help them, Trumpet and Skeptic were just arrogant assholes.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Fabricated posted:

Mirko is taking a shot at the main antagonist and was getting hosed up pretty badly in the process. Her life hangs on how horny Horikoshi is for her, which seems to be extremely. He could off her just to eliminate the temptation to keep drawing her.

No matter what happens to Mirko in the story, Horikoshi is 100% going to keep drawing her.

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Rabbits are well known to rapidly regenerate from any injury so she will be fine by the next chapter.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Momo and Mirko are gonna have a fantasy medieval spinoff for the horny bastards (apparently most of the fanbase)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Y'all need more Jesus and less Mirko.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Junpei posted:

Y'all need more Jesus and less Mirko.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Professorjuggalo posted:

Momo and Mirko are gonna have a fantasy medieval spinoff for the horny bastards (apparently most of the fanbase)

Who's Momo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Who's Momo.

The one that got stabbed by Aizen?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Professorjuggalo posted:

This is a weird generalization to make about most of the readers Professorjuggalo. Please don't take your fantasies and assume that most people share in your apparent lust for the teenage girl, thanks.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Viridiant posted:

Who's Momo.

:confused:

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I was going to jump in and defend Momo but then I realized that I had the names mixed up and thought the pink acid girl was Momo.
True Momo is the one that I always forget exists.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Julias posted:

This is a weird generalization to make about most of the readers Professorjuggalo. Please don't take your fantasies and assume that most people share in your apparent lust for the teenage girl, thanks.

Yes, my primary lust is for the adult bunny, tyvm.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm a fan of Mt. Lady and think it's a shame her power sucks and it's a shame that we're never going to get to see her elbow dropping a villain.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mt. Lady's power would be fine if she didn't get greedy and move to the city.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Mt. Lady's power would be fine if she didn't get greedy and move to the city.

Yeah, this critical mistake means we're never going to see her helping anymore.

Unless she gets shrunk and works on Antman logic afterward.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mt. Lady would have been perfect for the island in Heroes Rising.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm a fan of Mt. Lady and think it's a shame her power sucks and it's a shame that we're never going to get to see her elbow dropping a villain.

Her power is perfect because it allows for her name to exist, which is the best name in hero society.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Mt. Lady is helping with the mansion raid, so she's probably going to end up being the first to fight(and fall to) Gigantomachia when he wakes up. You know, giant vs giant.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, this critical mistake means we're never going to see her helping anymore.

Unless she gets shrunk and works on Antman logic afterward.

Can’t she already switch between human and giant sized at will? I remember her doing that a few times in the anime at least, though I don’t imagine she could really do a whole lot of good in either form of course since as mentioned her Quirk isn’t exactly that suitable for city life.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mt. Lady and Mirko are my favorites and I do not see this raid working out well for either one of them

E: Bit of trivia, apparently Mt. Lady’s design was basically the proto-Ochako back when Horikoshi was planning out the manga, I wonder why she got shuffled out to being an ancillary character

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 8, 2020

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

That's been explained. He thought that growing to an incredibly inconvenient size would be a problematic power for a main character and difficult to write scenes around, so Ochako got a new quirk.

And eventually got relegated to side character anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Larryb posted:

Can’t she already switch between human and giant sized at will? I remember her doing that a few times in the anime at least, though I don’t imagine she could really do a whole lot of good in either form of course since as mentioned her Quirk isn’t exactly that suitable for city life.

Yes, how could you have forgotten her entering a room rear end-first?

I mean like, really teeny-tiny Honey I Shrunk the Kids sized and then when she uses her power she's like a knock-off All Might because she's got her giant-sized strength but without the hassle of knocking over a building and crushing a car if she doesn't look where she's going.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheKingofSprings posted:

Might as well intersect the thread’s two favorite topics of discussion and suggest that there is an alternate universe out there where Twice is a hero and the VA just got attacked with a swarm of infinite Mirko

Given what rabbits are memetically known for, that doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility...

And anything rabbits can do, Mirko does better

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Twice and Mirko start a fighting league premised around whether or not you can even beat a Mirko clone. Mirko occasionally fights herself.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Twice starts a disturbingly realistic version of Celebrity Deathmatch

Sindai fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 8, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mystic Mongol posted:

So let's briefly touch on Uraraka.

She's poor as gently caress. Her parents own a construction company, and her quirk to make things weightless would be incredibly useful for them. This is a competitive edge that should let her family make mad bank. But there's no regulatory body that will let her use her quirk to haul girders up to the third floor. There's no training system, there are no guidelines for her to use her quirk for industrial purposes. OSHA isn't there to tell her how many high visibility flags she needs to attach to her zero gravity loads. If she wants to use her quirk to enrich her family or herself, she has to be licensed as a hero.

70% of everyone in the setting, including 98% of people in her generation, have super powers. But the only people allowed to use them are heroes... people who use those powers on behalf of the state to suppress anyone who tries to use their powers without being government soldiers. And as we've seen with Gentle, just being talented with your power and working hard is not good enough to get that title. For nearly everyone in setting, using your unique ability that makes you special is a crime.

Heroes are more than just a symptom of the civil unrest we see.

e: I am reminded of the existence of Black Hole user Thirteen, a hero who explicitly does not engage in combat. So you can be a licensed super power user without necessarily being willing to hurt people, which is nice. I stand by the analysis that using your powers legally is out of reach for most people.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Wait, if you're allowed to use your quirk in your everyday life, what's the Semiconscious Liberation Army even talking about?

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

That was from the training camp arc. The Pussycats offhandedly mention that cause the camp is their private property the kids can use their quirks as much as they like. Presumably that's how businesses function and there are various regulations in place that allow professionals working in their place of business to use quirks that the comic doesn't go into because it would be boring.

Quirks are explicitly regulated to protect capitalism just as much if not more than for public safety reasons. "Uncompetitive advantages" from quirks are not allowed much of the time, Momo states that she would never use her miracle of a quirk to its fullest potential so that she doesn't destroy the market through the creation of otherwise scarce materials, etc. The status quo is, on numerous occasions, stated to be enforced at the expense of the general well-being and societal progress.

This isn't subtext, it's text, if possibly unintentional text at times because the manga doesn't always frame it as a bad thing.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Momo states that she would never use her miracle of a quirk to its fullest potential so that she doesn't destroy the market through the creation of otherwise scarce materials, etc.

She states she wouldn't, not that sh4 isn't allowed to. That's not society, it's the fact that Momo comes from an insanely wealthy family. (Also, it's not scarce material, it's consumer goods and she's probably half-lying for the chance to play dress up on a mission, but putting that aside).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adder Moray posted:

She states she wouldn't, not that sh4 isn't allowed to. That's not society, it's the fact that Momo comes from an insanely wealthy family. (Also, it's not scarce material, it's consumer goods and she's probably half-lying for the chance to play dress up on a mission, but putting that aside).

I think her quirk and its applications come up on more than one occasion, not just that one, but I could be mistaken there. Been a while since I reread the earlier chapters.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Roland Jones posted:

Quirks are explicitly regulated to protect capitalism just as much if not more than for public safety reasons. "Uncompetitive advantages" from quirks are not allowed much of the time, Momo states that she would never use her miracle of a quirk to its fullest potential so that she doesn't destroy the market through the creation of otherwise scarce materials, etc. The status quo is, on numerous occasions, stated to be enforced at the expense of the general well-being and societal progress.

This isn't subtext, it's text, if possibly unintentional text at times because the manga doesn't always frame it as a bad thing.

Christ, and I thought the state murdering outgroups was dark.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1247766740018192384?s=20

Looks like we're getting the chapter this weekend as usual, but then a 1 week break before a double issue.

I wonder if this will affect digital updates..?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That said, I'm having trouble finding exactly where some of this was; given that a fair chunk of the manga I read when it was still being fan-translated much faster than the official translation, I could be remembering some things based on questionable translations.

However, it is explicitly said in some of the omake in one volume that quirk regulations are broad and heavy handed, as trying to regulate for every possible scenario and quirk is nigh-impossible, but how strictly that's enforced can vary. Which isn't a good thing, even if it seems reasonable on the surface; it being up to a cop or whatever whether they crack down on you is asking for abuse.

We also know, based on Uraraka's backstory, that she would need to get a license of some sort in order to use her quirk to help her family; it's not a matter of being able to do whatever you want on private property, like one person said. There is some form of regulation on commercial/industrial usage of quirks even outside of just using them in public, though I'm trying to find where further detail has been given; some of the world building details being in volume omake and all that, and other bits being offhandedly mentioned in conversations about other things, is making it hard to find.

In general, though, it's established that the government's approach to quirks is just a blanket ban on use outside your home, with you having to come to them if you want an exception while any violations are dealt with at the discretion of those enforcing the law, and that they support a status quo that is very obviously not working for a lot of people. It's more than just an equivalent to laws banning the open carrying of firearms and such like some were comparing it to when discussing the MLA.

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1247766740018192384?s=20

Looks like we're getting the chapter this weekend as usual, but then a 1 week break before a double issue.

I wonder if this will affect digital updates..?

Probably, though I guess we'll see soon.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 8, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The replies note that a double issue doesn't necessarily mean two chapters at once and that Jump's double issues usually have one chapter that covers two weeks, so one double length chapter.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

The replies note that a double issue doesn't necessarily mean two chapters at once and that Jump's double issues usually have one chapter that covers two weeks, so one double length chapter.

OK, so we're definitely getting the 38 page chapter for Shigaraki breaking out of the test tube.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

SKULL.GIF posted:

OK, so we're definitely getting the 38 page chapter for Shigaraki breaking out of the test tube.

Horikoshi: I did not plan for this, but I am so taking advantage of this. Assistants! We're gonna need, like, four two-page spreads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The fun times that is the Golden Week release schedule is coming early.