Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
so i've been buildong tanks for about a year and a half and decided to to another m41 bulldog to see how far i've come......

https://twitter.com/JungleClams/status/1246379772654936064?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Would this work with vallejo putty? I kinda tried this and it didn't work out, I'll post new pics.

I've never used Vallejo putty, so I don't know. Any putty can be thinned, but the concern is whether the thinner will melt the plastic, so you have to be careful using it clean up excessive putty when sanding is impossible. The Perfect putty is nice because it cleans up easily with water, but it is delicate unfortunately.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
In todays game. Guess the chasis:

I think this car when its done will look quite nice and it's my first road car in a long time. It's also the first time I've sprayed gloss black on anything and apart from it being difficult to figure out if I had enough coverage I'm happy with the results.

I also tested out microset and microsol on a set of tamiya decals that finally arrived and so far I'm super happy with how it works. Seems to be miles better that the markfit strong I was using before.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Symetrique posted:

If you're using decals you're familiar with, you can often skip the layer of clear before decaling. This is pretty risky and not recommended for decal/paint combos you're not familiar with though. But it is helpful if you want to avoid adding too many layers to a small subject, like a 1/144 plane.

I mostly do military planes and the only reason I clear coat before decals is so I can position them easier. The base coats I use are usually flat, so they have a bit of a tooth that tends to make it harder to move the decal around. With the exception of weathering (oils), 99% of the paint on my models are lacquer, so is it different if you are using acrylics? With lacquers, nothing is going to affect the basecoats other than lacquer thinner, IPA, or acetone, so I don't worry about damaging the basecoat when it comes to decals and weathering.

Ensign Expendable posted:

A more recent result:

That is impressive. I'm going to have to give that a try.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

...road car...

I also tested out microset and microsol on a set of tamiya decals that finally arrived and so far I'm super happy with how it works. Seems to be miles better that the markfit strong I was using before.

Does not compute...

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Does not compute...

It’s a pretty iconic road car but one that was built to race like a lot of sports cars of the time

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'm doing a white and black camouflage which is fairly involved. My plan has been to spray the white, and then... Use a sharpie for the black. Is this a profoundly bad idea? I've used a sharpie to put a border between different camo colors before (I think I actually got the idea from someone here) and it looked fine, but I don't know how it'll look on larger areas. Anyone done something similar? Masking this pattern will be a nightmare.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I think this car when its done will look quite nice and it's my first road car in a long time. It's also the first time I've sprayed gloss black on anything and apart from it being difficult to figure out if I had enough coverage I'm happy with the results.

Porsche 935?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

George Zimmer posted:

Porsche 935?

Correct country

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Correct country

It looks a lot like a 917, but that was never a road car...

Mercedes 300SL?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Slugworth posted:

I'm doing a white and black camouflage which is fairly involved. My plan has been to spray the white, and then... Use a sharpie for the black. Is this a profoundly bad idea? I've used a sharpie to put a border between different camo colors before (I think I actually got the idea from someone here) and it looked fine, but I don't know how it'll look on larger areas. Anyone done something similar? Masking this pattern will be a nightmare.

You can do it, but if you've got any great amount of surface area to cover it's gonna look like you scribbled on your model with a Sharpie. Is it something you can brush on by hand?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Slugworth posted:

Sharpie ink is weird. I wouldn't recommend doing this since it isnt completely black, and will look different than the black paint you use.

A paint marker may be a better choice

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Symetrique posted:

Sharpie ink is weird. I wouldn't recommend doing this since it isnt completely black, and will look different than the black paint you use.

A paint marker may be a better choice
A paint marker might be a good way to go. Maybe it'll help to just explain what I'm doing:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/stompie-the-mandela-way-t-34-tank

I'd like to replicate it as closely as possible, and I can't imagine I'm gonna be able to mask it properly with my very limited masking experience. Tape seems like it would be a nightmare, and I've never used masking putty. If this strikes people as a do-able first puttying project though, I'm open to the idea.

Also, I know a few people have been talking about doing t-34s - Group build idea, everyone does a different Stompie paint job.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Slugworth posted:

A paint marker might be a good way to go. Maybe it'll help to just explain what I'm doing:

I'd like to replicate it as closely as possible, and I can't imagine I'm gonna be able to mask it properly with my very limited masking experience. Tape seems like it would be a nightmare, and I've never used masking putty. If this strikes people as a do-able first puttying project though, I'm open to the idea.

Also, I know a few people have been talking about doing t-34s - Group build idea, everyone does a different Stompie paint job.

Dazzle camo and semi-dazzle camo is neat a.f.

quote:

The tank is thought to have originally been used by the Czech military during the fighting of the Prague Spring in 1968

...I mean?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

George Zimmer posted:

It looks a lot like a 917, but that was never a road car...

Mercedes 300SL?

It is a 300SL. I'm working on adding the hard lines to the engine atm even though they won't really be seen when it's complete. I've also decided to not go with the standard silver colour but a dark blue with tan interior although I may also go with red. I haven't decided just yet

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slugworth posted:

I'd just draw the pattern on with pencil. You'll be able to hand-paint inside the lines fine.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Slugworth posted:

You can easily use silly-putty or poster tack as masking putty, it’s especially good for making more organic, rounded looking camo.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Silly putty would be my recommendation. I'd spray the whole thing white, mask, then spray the black.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Old Swerdlow posted:

You can easily use silly-putty or poster tack as masking putty, it’s especially good for making more organic, rounded looking camo.

Piling on, I did almost exactly this with silly putty and it came out great. Spray white, putty where you want the white to still be, spray black. Ez-Pz.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

It is a 300SL. I'm working on adding the hard lines to the engine atm even though they won't really be seen when it's complete. I've also decided to not go with the standard silver colour but a dark blue with tan interior although I may also go with red. I haven't decided just yet

I had no idea the SL had that crazy of a frame. Very cool. What kit is that?

I mixed up a dark brown that I'm really happy with for the Fox body I'm currently working on but it's really hard to photograph. X-34 and X-1 mixed 1:1 makes a killer dark metallic brown.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I had no idea the SL had that crazy of a frame. Very cool. What kit is that?

I mixed up a dark brown that I'm really happy with for the Fox body I'm currently working on but it's really hard to photograph. X-34 and X-1 mixed 1:1 makes a killer dark metallic brown.

It's how they managed to keep it light for racing and also forced the Gullwing doors to be a thing. It's the tamiya kit and it comes with a clear underbody so that you can see the detail. The kit calls out for painting it but I think part of the beauty of the kit is being able to see the internals. I haven't started serious work on the body just yet but I will later in the week. I'm not sure if I want to do american or euro bumpers yet but if I commit to American ones I can't go backwards.

That'd be a pretty slick colour but yeah hard to get decent photos of

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I started working on a Minicraft 1/144 F-4E model and the few Minicrafts I've done had had their own special, but not insurmountable issues but...

Any suggestions on dealing with gaps THAT big?

Fill in with plastic card or two-part epoxy then some sandable filler putty?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Miliput or apoxie sculpt.

Both can be worked with water, are sandable, and dont shrink

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Figure out what's interfering and re-contour parts for a better fit?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Any advice or materials on painting jet engines? I've only ever painted prop aircraft and I know engine nozzles aren't just black

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

Figure out what's interfering and re-contour parts for a better fit?

Oh, there wasn't anything interfering. The issue was that when put in their proper position, the nozzles were angles down something like 10 degrees. That pic is them glued in the best position I could get to get the nozzles more in line with the plane.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Any advice or materials on painting jet engines? I've only ever painted prop aircraft and I know engine nozzles aren't just black

If you can airbrush lacquers, Alclad has very nice metallics. AK Interactive has their True Metal Paints in a tube that are wax based (same as oil paints as far as I can tell - thin with mineral spirits or turpentine/turpenoid) and brush on with excellent coverage and can be polished after they dry. AK also has their "XTREME METAL" line which I would assume are good based on how good their True Metal paints are, but I have never tried them and have no idea if they are lacquer, enamel, or acrylic.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Hey y’all I got a q about stickers/decals and diy decals
I got a model that has come with stickers on a blue sheet. I want to make them decals - if I take them off the sheet and onto a clear Perspex sheet, could I can the new sheet and get some decal paper and print them on my inkjet! Anyone tried this? Am I mad and should just use stickers?!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulu Carl posted:

Oh, there wasn't anything interfering. The issue was that when put in their proper position, the nozzles were angles down something like 10 degrees. That pic is them glued in the best position I could get to get the nozzles more in line with the plane.
Has it got vectored thrust and the nozzles are supposed to point down for a landed kit?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Dr. Phildo posted:

Hey y’all I got a q about stickers/decals and diy decals
I got a model that has come with stickers on a blue sheet. I want to make them decals - if I take them off the sheet and onto a clear Perspex sheet, could I can the new sheet and get some decal paper and print them on my inkjet! Anyone tried this? Am I mad and should just use stickers?!

Yes but:

- You'd be way better off using a laser printer if you can get your hands on one. I've done that at the local library. Lasers have much better detail and the ink's waterproof; if you use inkjet you'll have to seal it with varnish or something

- printers don't print white, so depending on the design/background you might need to use white decal paper or paint a white backhround for the decals.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Yeah I was rethinking for white.
And sealing with a gloss or semi gloss. And leaving for a good little while
Laser at the mo is probably not such a good idea what with the apocalypse and all :$ I’d love to, but

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Has it got vectored thrust and the nozzles are supposed to point down for a landed kit?

Doing a GIS for Phantoms, the nozzles do seem to be angled down more on landed planes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not sure if that'll fix it for you, but at least that's possibly what the problem is.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Question for the thread, would appreciate quick answers - Where'd that piece I just dropped go?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Question for the thread, would appreciate quick answers - Where'd that piece I just dropped go?

Over there.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
In the ferns under the deck

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Slugworth posted:

I posted almost the exact same question a few weeks ago when I lost an e brake handle in my shag carpet. The response I got was "just make a new one out of sprue material and as soon as you glue it in the model you'll find the original one in the carpet"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Charliegrs posted:

I posted almost the exact same question a few weeks ago when I lost an e brake handle in my shag carpet. The response I got was "just make a new one out of sprue material and as soon as you glue it in the model you'll find the original one in the carpet"
Well... did it work? :ohdear:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

The carpet monsters has it, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Slugworth posted:

Right now, your lost piece is pulsing in and out of reality. Do not search for it, there's only frustration.

Wait for physics to go back to normal.