Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
My parents have been readers of the Motley Fool for a long time. They've made a lot (to me) of money since they started buying individual stocks after 2008/2009. Probably 400k to 500k. Motley Fool has helped them quite a few times, but there were also tips that they've invested $1000 or $5,000 in, where they took a bath on it and lost 90% of what they put in. On other tips, if they'd invested $10,000 or $20,000, instead of $500 or $1,000, they'd have made a fortune. To me, it seems hit or miss, but from what they told me, it's more hit than miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

The Dark Project posted:

Yeah I was thinking it might be a trap as well, which is why I'd hold off myself. But I don't have much to go on other than the fact that the virus isn't likely to subside anytime soon and the after-effects will still be around.

How reliable are stock market tips from places like the Motley Fool? I've read a bit from them, but I am not well enough in the know to see if they're trustworthy at all. They recommend buying Opthema, apparently a new drug treatment for vision loss, but it's really hard to tell whether things are a good buy if you know nothing about the market.

Those recommendations are probably ok, you don't really have a lot else to go on unless you are familiar with the company. I guess any time someone recommends a small pharmaceutical company with a promising but unproven new treatment there's always going to be a bit of risk involved compared to a company in the ASX100 with a track record of good performance.

It might be worth having a chat to a financial adviser in this case, just to get a feel for your level of risk tolerance and maybe get some tips from a professional on diversifying etc as well.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
only reliable way to beat the market is to have material nonpublic information.

"unreliable" may mean "works for decades straight and fucks you in decade 4" tho. and "you shook hands with the board, had lunch, and realized they are all to a man and woman idiot fucksticks" is material nonpublic and you can totally trade on it. other stuff, maybe not so much

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was feeling good, long ES to grab a handful of points before bed and then WHOOSH

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/08/fears-of-crisis-in-uk-car-finance-market-as-owners-seek-payments-help

Guessing US hire purchases are similarly subprime?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I assume the 60 day freezes are more to give the government time to bail them out than any kind of expectation that this will be over and people will be back working again.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pivotal Lever posted:

You’re looking for depth of market. You can see this in thinkorswim, go on the website into the subscriptions area and enable NASDAQ Level 2 data. Then in the client you can see orders in the depth tab. Order amounts at different levels don’t really tell you all that much, it’s the order flow that matters.

Thanks. There's a couple different 'depth' things in thinkorswim. On the charts tab, there's "product depth", which is showing me implied vol on various options. But I also found the "market depth" widget which lives in left panel, which is showing me some bid/ask flows. They're near current market price though, so I assume this is the order flow you mention. I can't see any standing limit orders far from market price, e.g. sells at 275 or buys at 260. I guess that information is just not available?

I'm basically wondering if I can see the number of standing limit orders at various exchanges/brokerages, for milestones away from market price. To see resistance levels. Yes, those orders could be cancelled, but presumably there's a small transaction/effort cost to doing that. Since I don't see other posts or web articles about this I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

The Dark Project posted:

Yeah I was thinking it might be a trap as well, which is why I'd hold off myself. But I don't have much to go on other than the fact that the virus isn't likely to subside anytime soon and the after-effects will still be around.

How reliable are stock market tips from places like the Motley Fool? I've read a bit from them, but I am not well enough in the know to see if they're trustworthy at all. They recommend buying Opthema, apparently a new drug treatment for vision loss, but it's really hard to tell whether things are a good buy if you know nothing about the market.

If the stock pickers at the Motley Fool (or anywhere else that sells stock ideas) were really good at picking winners they wouldn’t need to run a news site that sells stock ideas. They’d just buy the stocks and reap the rewards.

Bored As gently caress posted:

My parents have been readers of the Motley Fool for a long time. They've made a lot (to me) of money since they started buying individual stocks after 2008/2009. Probably 400k to 500k. Motley Fool has helped them quite a few times, but there were also tips that they've invested $1000 or $5,000 in, where they took a bath on it and lost 90% of what they put in. On other tips, if they'd invested $10,000 or $20,000, instead of $500 or $1,000, they'd have made a fortune. To me, it seems hit or miss, but from what they told me, it's more hit than miss.

From 2009 to February 2020 we had the longest bull market in history. It was extremely hard not to make money. The question your parents would want to ask themselves is whether they were able to outperform whatever benchmark index they were trying to beat that was running over the same period.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

From 2009 to February 2020 we had the longest bull market in history. It was extremely hard not to make money.

This gets said as if everyone wasn't screeching about THE FED and QE!!! and FAKE MARKETS and BUYBACKS and BUBBLES the whole loving way up. A lot of people missed out on a lot of those gains. It was easy to make money if you sat on your hands, but mostly people don't do that.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
This is true. My critique of the stock picking website does presume that its readers are using it to pick stocks.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I mean you’re almost certainly better off getting your advice from Motley Fool than HERE

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

doingitwrong posted:

If the stock pickers at the Motley Fool (or anywhere else that sells stock ideas) were really good at picking winners they wouldn’t need to run a news site that sells stock ideas. They’d just buy the stocks and reap the rewards.

From 2009 to February 2020 we had the longest bull market in history. It was extremely hard not to make money. The question your parents would want to ask themselves is whether they were able to outperform whatever benchmark index they were trying to beat that was running over the same period.

More to the point, the question would be whether they were able to outperform that benchmark index without taking on an absurd amount of risk. It sounds like they were very much doing that, given that some of their picks lost 90% of their value during a very extended bull market. If all of this going on right now had hit while they were trying to do that, chances are they would've lost their rear end in short order.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

paternity suitor posted:

This gets said as if everyone wasn't screeching about THE FED and QE!!! and FAKE MARKETS and BUYBACKS and BUBBLES the whole loving way up. A lot of people missed out on a lot of those gains. It was easy to make money if you sat on your hands, but mostly people don't do that.

I don't agree with this. The data we have since the invention of index funds says that holding broad market index funds and doing nothing will outperform active management.

I think if you're going to pick stocks you have to look at your opportunity cost objectively. You have an alternative whereby doing nothing you can match the markets performance. That means that A. you have to be beating the market or else you're losing money, and 2. you have to be beating the market by enough that you're also getting a good enough return on your time spent, because the alternative is literally doing nothing and matching the market returns.

It's fine if people that have their retirement sorted out want to pick individual stocks for fun. If someone can beat the market year after year they should do it with all their money. Hell, they should probably start a hedge fund and do it with other people's money. I just feel like anybody doing it should be taking a sober look at their actual performance

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Asleep Style posted:

holding broad market index funds and doing nothing will outperform active management.

Isn't that exactly what his post meant by "it was easy to make money if you sat on your hands" ?

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/EricBalchunas/status/1247636945179729926?s=20
https://twitter.com/EricBalchunas/status/1247640643830194180?s=20

yeah I'd buy this ... two weeks ago. not sure if I'll buy it when it's actually available to trade.

how much money (in both person-hours for putting poo poo together and initial investment pool) does it take to actually create a new ETF that is listed for trade, anyone know?

I'd be all over an ETF like that if they scrapped the insanely overvalued gimmick stocks of zoom and peloton. About everything else there is staged to grow well over the next few years.

pixaal posted:

Is this serious, or are you trying to eat posts on this page with a powerful argument and derail? We can find a better derail.

Our only solace in this dark time is knowing "holy poo poo we would be even more turbo hosed if Joe 'alzheimers' Biden was trying to run the country"

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

flowinprose posted:

Isn't that exactly what his post meant by "it was easy to make money if you sat on your hands" ?

Yeah, I just meant that sitting on your hands should be taken as the baseline scenario

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I mean you’re almost certainly better off getting your advice from Motley Fool than HERE

:hmmyes:

As far as beating index fund returns goes:
1) that's not the point of this thread
2) go cash while a well-documented viral plague is ravaging China, then hoover up distressed blue chips from the rubble

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

futures just spiked right when this tweet showed up

https://twitter.com/DeItaOne/status/1247873234697158657?s=20

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Asleep Style posted:

I don't agree with this. The data we have since the invention of index funds says that holding broad market index funds and doing nothing will outperform active management.

I think if you're going to pick stocks you have to look at your opportunity cost objectively. You have an alternative whereby doing nothing you can match the markets performance. That means that A. you have to be beating the market or else you're losing money, and 2. you have to be beating the market by enough that you're also getting a good enough return on your time spent, because the alternative is literally doing nothing and matching the market returns.

It's fine if people that have their retirement sorted out want to pick individual stocks for fun. If someone can beat the market year after year they should do it with all their money. Hell, they should probably start a hedge fund and do it with other people's money. I just feel like anybody doing it should be taking a sober look at their actual performance

I’d be very interested to understand how OP’s parents tracked SP500’s performance, but I doubt he’d easily get that info.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

The sort of counterpoint is that retiring with $0, $50,000, and $250,000 are all almost the same thing so you might as well try to get rich quick.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Trading jobs numbers is generally a stupid idea because its a lagging indicator. however the setup looks pretty good now considering we have 1) government stimulus priced in yesterday, and now 2) potential COVID turnaround being priced in.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I've been expanding the data in my little spreadsheet to derive out first and second derivatives and their 5 day averages.

The 5 day average acceleration has been trending up from a low ~3/22/20, but still sub 1.0.

It's definitely reading tea leaves area, but if acceleration IS picking up, we're probably not at peak badness this week.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

pmchem posted:

futures just spiked right when this tweet showed up

https://twitter.com/DeItaOne/status/1247873234697158657?s=20

Now even Fauci's buying options and manipulating the market!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/Stocktwits/status/1247886536818823170?s=20

nice chart (correlation does not imply causation, etc.)

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1247884920304746500

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

[bangs fists on table] Number! Only! Go! Up!

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Staples: "Yeah, we've got that" except rent

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Cheesecake Factory and Staples are acting as the vanguard of our revolution by rebelling against landlordism.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nintendo :allears:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

The sort of counterpoint is that retiring with $0, $50,000, and $250,000 are all almost the same thing so you might as well try to get rich quick.

Are those the only options?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

ima take two fiddy

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

No the other is having more money. Most people aren’t going to get 2 million for retirement investing in indexes and if you’re not you might as well gamble pretty aggressively. A 6-figure investment account will pay for your first retirement trip to the hospital and you’ll spend 5 figures on self-insuring pretty fast.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Motley Fool is so funny, I remember many many years ago I read through one of their books (which was quite good), railing against actively managed funds and pushing index funds. Now they run an actively managed fund. That $ turns you.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Residency Evil posted:

'dignified retirement' is increasingly out of reach of 'most' people. If you were making an 'average' income of $61937 in the U.S. when you got out of college (which, 50% of people aren't), and saved 8% (most people have less than $1000 saved) and got 2% COLA adjustments each year, every year, and social security is solvent when you retire, and you can get by on 75% of your pre-retirement income, THEN you get to make it to the ripe old age of 100 before you're destitute:

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/retirement/retirement-plan-calculator.aspx

Remove any one of those possible but precarious criteria and you'll be bust before 100. Yeah, you probably won't make it to 100, but things fall off FAST, if you can't live on 75% and need 90% (which is fairly in line with saving 8%) then you're bust at 89.

If you're making good money while working then retirement is an option. If you're not then you've got a long exhausting life in front of you.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

No the other is having more money. Most people aren’t going to get 2 million for retirement investing in indexes and if you’re not you might as well gamble pretty aggressively. A 6-figure investment account will pay for your first retirement trip to the hospital and you’ll spend 5 figures on self-insuring pretty fast.

Moving past the fact that many people can't save for retirement at all in this country, this forum at least is primarily full of computer touchers who are able to earn high five figures/low six figures and can hit that $2M number investing in index funds.

But sure, gamble aggressively with a portion of your portfolio once you've satisfied those initial savings.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

brutal

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

WallStreetBets is open again after a mod coup. Jartek was banned for taking money to promote some kind of financial training or stock picking service on the sub. No word on whether he still plans to hold a live options trading tournament in an e-sports arena.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
are we just ignoring the existence of medicare in this scenario

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are we just ignoring the existence of medicare in this scenario

Yes, that and social security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Residency Evil posted:

Yes, that and social security.

I don't expect either to exist in any usable form when I retire.