Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

RockyB posted:

RE: Boris, and the discussion last month about having no decent modern tunes to chant to

I've heard this sung as "Why are we waiting/we are suffocating", but that's perhaps a bit too on the nose at the moment

e: google searching for 91 gives an entire three results before something about coronavirus, there are presumably still words and/or phrases that are not yet inextricably linked with covid-19 so enjoy that while it lasts

Angepain fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Oh Come All Ye Faithful, it's common around Christmas.

Once saw a Salvation Army band marching through the red light district in Amsterdam playing this, which was a pretty amazing song choice to top off one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Edit: In retrospect, I don't know why I posted this

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 8, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

winegums posted:

It will forever stick in my craw that this bad faith bollocks was seriously allowed to unseat Jeremy.

The only thing making this easier to swallow is knowing the board of deputies are going to throw a bitch fit realising their value and influence is spent and they're not going to have calls returned again. I hope they choke on the indignity.

If it helps the anti-semitism smear wasn't any kind of specific killing blow, it actually had very little impact on the wider electorate but it was never intended to. It was targeted at the PMC and wealthy libs to give them a moral fig-leaf to continue making GBS threads on the poor and the disabled and the homeless. It was a manufactured moral stance, they could ignore the actual moral reality because now by stamping on the Corbyn movement they were actually fighting nazis donchaknow; even better it was poor uppity nazis that were also rude online.

Like if this has made you realise that the leaders of every single IdPol organisation ever are the most cynical evil fucks in a broader sense then good but don't single out the board of deputies cunts as worse than any other, all of them are cynical scum be it the MCB or white nationalist leaders or NUS gobshites or the pieces of poo poo that are holding sway in British hindu communities.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably narrow that down to established organizations, ones that are given prominence by the government and the press, because necessarily they can't threaten either with subversive positions.

Which is a trend that also extends, as we are seeing, to non-idpol groups, that's what the whole last five years have been about, putting labour back into the box.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

If it helps the anti-semitism smear wasn't any kind of specific killing blow, it actually had very little impact on the wider electorate but it was never intended to. It was targeted at the PMC and wealthy libs to give them a moral fig-leaf to continue making GBS threads on the poor and the disabled and the homeless. It was a manufactured moral stance, they could ignore the actual moral reality because now by stamping on the Corbyn movement they were actually fighting nazis donchaknow; even better it was poor uppity nazis that were also rude online.

Like if this has made you realise that the leaders of every single IdPol organisation ever are the most cynical evil fucks in a broader sense then good but don't single out the board of deputies cunts as worse than any other, all of them are cynical scum be it the MCB or white nationalist leaders or NUS gobshites or the pieces of poo poo that are holding sway in British hindu communities.

I don't think this issue hurt us directly, but it let the media put Corbyn on the backfoot about a manufactured controversy. We didn't lose votes because we were seen to be anti-semetic, we lost votes because Corbyn didn't get the chance to talk on issues he wanted to talk about.

All these organisations are shite, don't get me wrong, but I don't think BOD had a seat at the table up until the run up until the last election, and they've very quickly lost that now.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Once saw a Salvation Army band marching through the red light district in Amsterdam playing this, which was a pretty amazing song choice to top off one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

That's so loving on point I have to respect it.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Hey all. Hope you’re okay. I’m good, but not following the thread. Running my mouth off in the discord though :D

Dropping this thing wot I writ just now in here cos I think you’ll like it:

Keir Starmie, I choose you!
“Not battling for battling’s sake.”
Boffing used Savile attack!
It’s super effective!
Keir Starmie fainted!
What?
BOFFING evolved into WHEEZING!
WHEEZING evolved into DEAD!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Vitamin P posted:

i feel like i'd probably be happier not knowing what you're referring to here

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Azza Bamboo posted:

Oh Come All Ye Faithful, it's common around Christmas.

Video thumbnail looking like a particularly religious Terminator choosing its opening line after knocking on your door

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
There was a massive anti-muslim don't vote for Labour movement among 'British Asians' back in the December election, if I remember rightly. Modi stirring poo poo up. Made for an interesting article about the Brahim caste who came across to Britain in the 70s all being tory poo poo bags which is how we ended up with people like Rishi Sunak. That I can't be bothered tracking down while drunk at 2.30 in the morning.

Re: All the faithful Cummings, the only lyric I could remember was 'god in the hiiii-iiii-ggggghist', which it turns out isn't too useful in a Google search.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
if Boris dies on Good Friday we might get our own second coming cult.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know he's lazy but it seems like a lot of effort to avoid having to be PM for a couple of days.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Azza Bamboo posted:

if Boris dies on Good Friday we might get our own second coming cult.

I might be getting on in years but I can manage more than twice for an occasion like that

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 8, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Out of curiosity, would the people running the UKMT hardship fund consider something like seb's situation an appropriate thing to ask for help with?

Idk what the specifics of their situation are so I'm not saying it is necessary/should be done, I am just wondering. If so though, might be worth asking for a bit of help if you want to get something more powerful?

Idk just a thought.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

bessantj posted:

New Labour leader Starmer praised by Jewish groups for 'good start'

Starmer off to a good start by flipping everyones switch from anti-Semite to pro-Semite or some such.

I presume he was very careful not to comment on this:
https://twitter.com/TimesofIsrael/status/1247200906178772992

and then that statement comes out or am I being too cynical?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

DesperateDan posted:

I might be getting in in years but I can manage more than twice for an occasion like that

:golfclap:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
All my best lines come with typing errors

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vitamin P posted:

That's certainly... a take.

Going to disagree with you here buddy. I don't think organising around identity is inherently less worthy than organising around class.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I organise by weight

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

That's certainly... a take.

Going to disagree with you here buddy. I don't think organising around identity is inherently less worthy than organising around class.

Maybe not inherently, but practically identity politics has been heavily co-opted by liberals as a weapon against the left. The exact same pattern is playing out in the US, where bullshit IDPOL reasons are conjured up to manufacture justifications for liberals ignoring Sanders, before being immediately thrown by the wayside with regards to Biden. Anyone pushing a genuinely transformative, class-based agenda is going to be hit with the exact same smears.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

I still don't know what "organising around identity" or indeed "identity politics" actually means. It seems that no politician anywhere ever mentions the word "identity", at least not explicitly, and instead "identity politics" or whatever is like a derogatory term?

Identity as a concept seems like an appeal to emotions kind of thing, which in politics is potentially dangerous imo

(Maybe my lack of understanding stems from the fact that I've myself never "identified" with any political group, not very strongly anyway; direction yes, many specific semi-detailed things yes, but parties or such? Nah)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1247644177988554752?s=20
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1247661862847741953?s=20

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The thing is, have they? We just have no idea at all, the guy just makes poo poo up all the time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1247720946800222208

Good to see that the police have their priorities straight in these difficult times. I'm certain breaking up a long-established traveler camp is exactly where they need to be concentrating their reduced strength.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Ms Adequate posted:

Out of curiosity, would the people running the UKMT hardship fund consider something like seb's situation an appropriate thing to ask for help with?

Idk what the specifics of their situation are so I'm not saying it is necessary/should be done, I am just wondering. If so though, might be worth asking for a bit of help if you want to get something more powerful?

Idk just a thought.

I think I must have missed a post while catching up as I don't know Seb's situation, but we will absolutely consider all requests. We've already helped a goon cover rent this month in fact!

By way of a mini-update, we're currently making initial enquiries about setting up the final multi-signatory bank account, so that people who are waiting to set up standing orders can do so. That process is likely to take a few weeks though, especially right now. In the mean time we still have over 3k banked from the opening surge.

E: just read back and see Seb's issue, which has reminded me: this probably isn't any use to a southerner like Seb, but a goon based in the south Manchester area has offered two PCs up to goons in need:

Verizian posted:

I've got two old PC's that I need to clear out for room.

An i5 2500k with a GTX 970 GPU

and some old Zacate APU board that's good enough for 720p gaming or basic WFH stuff.
To be clear the zacate is an all in one mobo/cpu/gpu that's really low power. From the time of Crysis 2 and was able to run it on medium at 720p

Neither have storage so whoever wants them will be advised to order a cheap HDD or SSD. Also pickup only with the need to come up with an excuse like "collecting equipment to work from home"

If interested I suggest pinging Verizian in the Solidarity Fund channel on the Discord (pm etc will also work, but this way would help us track what's been claimed, if anything)

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 8, 2020

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

jaete posted:

I still don't know what "organising around identity" or indeed "identity politics" actually means. It seems that no politician anywhere ever mentions the word "identity", at least not explicitly, and instead "identity politics" or whatever is like a derogatory term?

Identity as a concept seems like an appeal to emotions kind of thing, which in politics is potentially dangerous imo

(Maybe my lack of understanding stems from the fact that I've myself never "identified" with any political group, not very strongly anyway; direction yes, many specific semi-detailed things yes, but parties or such? Nah)

Broadly, identity politics refers to like.... queer rights, feminism, disability rights, etc etc.

There is something to be said about liberal identity politics which is very much about putting those identities above class analysis. The best example I can think of would be the stuff around Hillary & Warren? Like, how people acted like their actual policies were essentially not that important because we NEED a WOMAN! I'm a bit spaced out on painkillers currently so I'm not sure how well I'm explaining this lol

The flipside though is you get a lot of people who also use the term to suggest that talking about specific issues you face as a member of a disprivileged group is detracting from discussions of class, or is like, ivory tower academic stuff.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Katty! posted:

I guess since I'm in the middle of working on my dissertation and it's happened at a pretty crucial point I'm just a little highly strung and want to complain. I do agree with you that just emailing over some powerpoints is the best way to go - we tried some live lectures but a) I don't think anyone showed up, and b) it was mired with technical problems - though it does come after years of being told that simply reading lecture slides after the fact is no substitute for the real thing and that's why we pay fees lol

I suppose on a more general, fundamental (and totally unsolvable) level, I would prefer the content of my degree to be a little more than official proof that I'm good at reading things and then writing words down in a good enough order, but that's just the way it is. Comparatively I'm getting it pretty good, my fees are only ~£4,300 a year and my course directors are decent enough - anecdotally I've heard the responses by some universities, especially regarding accommodation, is absolutely dire. up until a week or so ago a friend's uni was trying to get them to pay around £2000 in rent for a place they had already left, and prior to this they were saying that the only way they could offer a refund is if they managed to get someone else to start renting the place. I can only imagine how many people are getting scammed by their landlords and universities themselves
Yeah, fees are a bad joke for universities that don’t put any effort in. I think well-presented slides with audio* and maybe a facecam give you 95% of the value of even the best lecture, and MOOCs can do that a hell of a lot cheaper and better than conventional universities. The only academic reason to favour conventional universities over MOOCs is stuff that can’t be done just as well virtually, which in STEM means labs, problem sessions and office hours. Well, that plus the fact that you need a piece of paper to get a job anywhere, even at the supermarket, and no-one trusts the MOOCs to give out the right sort of paper. (But relying on that to stay true forever would make us both assholes and idiots.)

* The audio is important! Without that you’re getting 20% of the value tops. With it the main reason to go to the lectures is psychological, establishing a daily routine to make sure you actually do go rather than trying to inhale the entire course from scratch the day before the exam.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1247720946800222208

Good to see that the police have their priorities straight in these difficult times. I'm certain breaking up a long-established traveler camp is exactly where they need to be concentrating their reduced strength.

Different versions of this all over the place. Most are saying it’s an attempted murder arrest.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...y-a4409696.html

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

bionic vapour boy posted:

Broadly, identity politics refers to like.... queer rights, feminism, disability rights, etc etc.

That ship has kind of sailed though. "White Identity" and "White Identity Politics" is part of the discourse these days. As is often the case the language and expressive power of the powerless is being appropriated by the powerful.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jaete posted:

Identity politics is a way to stop class consciousness from developing and ensure that people organise in atomized and manipulable groups. These groups will then inevitably begin infighting, effectively bucket of crabsing each other.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The right wing will always coopt the successful strategies of the left.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

bionic vapour boy posted:

The flipside though is you get a lot of people who also use the term to suggest that talking about specific issues you face as a member of a disprivileged group is detracting from discussions of class, or is like, ivory tower academic stuff.

Things went wrong at around the time Marx neglected to coopt some Latin term for ‘housewife’ for the socioeconomic class that does domestic labour on a non-market basis.

Hence you get ‘feminism is a distraction from class politics; make me a sandwich while I plan the revolution’.

Rather than ‘the class structure of society clearly varies by gender; anything that ignores that is wrong’.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, fees are a bad joke for universities that don’t put any effort in. I think well-presented slides with audio* and maybe a facecam give you 95% of the value of even the best lecture, and MOOCs can do that a hell of a lot cheaper and better than conventional universities. The only academic reason to favour conventional universities over MOOCs is stuff that can’t be done just as well virtually, which in STEM means labs, problem sessions and office hours. Well, that plus the fact that you need a piece of paper to get a job anywhere, even at the supermarket, and no-one trusts the MOOCs to give out the right sort of paper. (But relying on that to stay true forever would make us both assholes and idiots.)

* The audio is important! Without that you’re getting 20% of the value tops. With it the main reason to go to the lectures is psychological, establishing a daily routine to make sure you actually do go rather than trying to inhale the entire course from scratch the day before the exam.

I think that many people misunderstand the situation, due to deliberate muddying by Tories, like this:

- In the before time when fees were zero, universities received X income/year from I dunno, somewhere

- Now, universities receive X income plus £9000/student, so they're raking it in and we demand amazing service!

While the reality as I understand it is they still receive roughly X, but the Tories have ideologically shifted the burden onto the "consumers". See also the railways.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

The right wing will always coopt the successful strategies of the left.

Like calling themselves "socialists".

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

radmonger posted:

Things went wrong at around the time Marx neglected to coopt some Latin term for ‘housewife’ for the socioeconomic class that does domestic labour on a non-market basis.

Hence you get ‘feminism is a distraction from class politics; make me a sandwich while I plan the revolution’.

Rather than ‘the class structure of society clearly varies by gender; anything that ignores that is wrong’.

This is reminding me I never finished reading Marx on the Margins oops
I know he definitely developed his views on racism for example but I don't know if there's anything mentioned about women's issues.

(Though I guess it doesn't matter that much if Marx did or not, there's been plenty of leftists since who've covered things like social reproduction, unwaged labour etc etc)

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Bobstar posted:

I think that many people misunderstand the situation, due to deliberate muddying by Tories, like this:

- In the before time when fees were zero, universities received X income/year from I dunno, somewhere

- Now, universities receive X income plus £9000/student, so they're raking it in and we demand amazing service!

While the reality as I understand it is they still receive roughly X, but the Tories have ideologically shifted the burden onto the "consumers". See also the railways.

Actually Universities receive substantially less as the fees haven't increased in line with inflation (nor have the central contributions).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobstar posted:

Also, check out how much deputy chancellors earn compared to other positions.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Idpol is when people get to fight for how the groups they are a member of are regarded by others rather than having that decided for them. It's no wonder it pisses off right wingers and liberals: it deprives them of the sense of control and expertise respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Other universities do have more engaging teaching methods, I think. I did maths at Cambridge, and most of the lectures were just copying things down, but that was OK because most of the actual learning happened via grappling with the exercises and then talking them over in one-on-two supervisions.

I did History at Oxford and in my time at least, lectures were strictly optional. I think I went to, like, two, both in my first year. You get your essay topic and reading list, you go to the library and get your books, you read them and write your essay, you go to the tutorial and read it out to your tutor, and then he eviscerates you for an hour or so. Lather, rinse and repeat for three years.