Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Magnetic North posted:

I finally caved and bought Tabletop Sim, as it's on sale again. Someone please suggest to me the decent mods. I found a Root one that looks decent, but my brain refused to think of any other games to look up.

Lot of good suggestions here, many of which list the scripting available in each mod

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/fsrzrc/what_are_some_of_your_favorite_scripted_tabletop/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Reported for not using the full names of spirits.

They used the full name of the only one that matters :colbert:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cards Against Humanity have released a beta of their Family Edition in P&P format

https://www.cardsagainsthumanityfamilyedition.com/

Sure hope you like your kids making butt jokes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
burn it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You print it actually.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Print n burn it

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Lot of good suggestions here, many of which list the scripting available in each mod

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/fsrzrc/what_are_some_of_your_favorite_scripted_tabletop/

quote:

Surprised no one has mentioned [Blood on The Clocktower](https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1749093601) it’s an amazing game that I’ve put almost all of my 550 hours on TTS into. The community is *special* to put it that way, but honestly I love it anyways.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

you found quinns reddit account!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Air Land & Sea TTS module pretty much automates the whole game. Which isn't particularly impressive since it's very simple, but it definitely makes it nice to play.

There's two King's Dilemma modules, both are functional but the one called something like "Kings Dilemma Scripted [alternative]" is quite a bit better due to automating the Dilemma deck and making the house stamps much smaller.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Does anyone have any experience with using the Indonesia DLC on TTS? I’m going to be running it tomorrow for the first time and could use some tips.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Countblanc posted:

The Air Land & Sea TTS module pretty much automates the whole game. Which isn't particularly impressive since it's very simple, but it definitely makes it nice to play.

There's two King's Dilemma modules, both are functional but the one called something like "Kings Dilemma Scripted [alternative]" is quite a bit better due to automating the Dilemma deck and making the house stamps much smaller.

Do a lot of games on the Steam Workshop automate the rules of the game? The few I’ve downloaded and tried do not and as someone who is new to TTS I was expecting a little of it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Rad Valtar posted:

Do a lot of games on the Steam Workshop automate the rules of the game? The few I’ve downloaded and tried do not and as someone who is new to TTS I was expecting a little of it.

Almost all of them do NOT. It is a physics simulator first, which gives more to and expects more from the players. Some have automated setup. A vanishingly small number have scripted gameplay--I saw a Carcassone game once that locked all the elements, had you interact with them using buttons, and was almost indistinguishable from a video game adaption, but that's rare.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Any scripted TTS mod usually says so on the tin in the workshop.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

As a semi-frequent player of AdCiv, does Western Empires offer anything new?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Yeah, because it’s just a reprint of MegaCiv.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It's not scripted at all but I've been playing Nemo's War on TTS after seeing Paul Grogan's recent stream of it. Really cool solo game, definitely buying a physical copy once I'm not endangering warehouse workers and delivery people by doing so.

Also been doing a lot of physical solo boardgaming since I'm stuck alone in my house. Mage Knight and Spirit Island still own.

Curious if anyone has much experience with solo AFFO. I've only played it twice solo and not thought too hard about optimal strategies, just enjoyed filling out my islands with stuff. However, I suspect that the almost complete lack of variable setup and randomness means that the solo game can be "solved". Are occupation cards powerful enough to build around and/or shake up optimal play?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ojetor posted:

It's not scripted at all but I've been playing Nemo's War on TTS after seeing Paul Grogan's recent stream of it. Really cool solo game, definitely buying a physical copy once I'm not endangering warehouse workers and delivery people by doing so.

Also been doing a lot of physical solo boardgaming since I'm stuck alone in my house. Mage Knight and Spirit Island still own.

Curious if anyone has much experience with solo AFFO. I've only played it twice solo and not thought too hard about optimal strategies, just enjoyed filling out my islands with stuff. However, I suspect that the almost complete lack of variable setup and randomness means that the solo game can be "solved". Are occupation cards powerful enough to build around and/or shake up optimal play?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664063/feast-odin-weekly-s

This thread has a whole bunch of solos scenarios and I've played a handful of them. Highly recommended.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Is there a DOAM that's good with 2, 3 and 4 players? And doesn't take much more than 2 hours to finish?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Inis is great, and tends towards fast games. It's very solid at 3 and 4; I've never played with 2, but the one time my friends tried it they were undecided whether it worked; they spent the whole game trying to suss out the meta. There's also a pretty good expansion, but it's not necessary.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So I played Caylus 1303. I heard that it was actually really good and that it was trying to be its own thing distinct from Caylus. The latter was true, the former requires elaboration. The game itself is a pretty okay-ish MWE with nothing really exciting going for it. The only mean thing that they left in the game was the provost, but even then losing the resources is less consequential than it would be in the original. In the original, resources are scarce and difficult to come by, especially in terms of the gold. But in Caylus 1303 everyone was flush with resources and if you build very quickly, very early (as two of the players in our 4 player game did), the provost just zooooms up the road and everyone starts having a lot of resources, very early in the game.

So what are my main complaints:
- The game is much more resource rich than the original, to a ridiculous degree, especially if some people build early rather than constructing the castle.
- The above is aggravated by how the castle incentives have been formulated. There's no more 3 step castle construction, going earlier doesn't give you more points, and especially in the earlier rounds, there's no point in going there if someone went there first and they are likely to be able to match you in terms of how many packages you can send. Since you always get the same points and you don't get favour/points for how many you built in a single stage, it's always better to wait a turn and build up resources instead. This adds even more resources to the game.
- The fact that they combined workers and money together, and that there isn't a turn order track or "cheaper placement when someone passes" place, means that it's far easier to get a ton of actions and not get into a financial hole like in Caylus. This feeds into the economy making players have a ton more resources. Especially since the cost to place can only go up to 2 workers and no more.
- And the biggest issue with the game by a long shot, they hosed the turn order so now who passes first gets first player, and also it's always clockwise. This is, by far, the biggest issue in the game, because taking the base of a game that allows you to circumvent turn order effects into one that HAS turn order effects is the biggest :psyduck: poo poo I've ever seen, and even my friends that like MWE complained about this.

Overall, though, 1303 isn't bad, it's just unexciting and takes the tight gameplay of Caylus and turns it into another bog-standard MWE. This is much more friendlier and probably more fun for new people than the original, and I get that they went for that, but for me it just seems unnecessary.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, because it’s just a reprint of MegaCiv.

Hmm, did MegaCiv change the rules in significant ways? If you played on the "normal" AdCiv scale and didn't use the full MegaMap would it be very different?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Krazyface posted:

Inis is great, and tends towards fast games. It's very solid at 3 and 4; I've never played with 2, but the one time my friends tried it they were undecided whether it worked; they spent the whole game trying to suss out the meta. There's also a pretty good expansion, but it's not necessary.

Inis is great at 2p. It’s a different game than 3-5, but still great. Conflicts are very rare and the draft is done in 2 separate 3 card drafts so you have almost perfect information and then it’s a lot of bluffing and playing around Druid and Geis (even more than the regular game).

Hmm, did MegaCiv change the rules in significant ways? If you played on the "normal" AdCiv scale and didn't use the full MegaMap would it be very different?

I’ll let others answer this because I’ve only demoed and watched WC/Mega

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 5, 2020

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Overall, though, 1303 isn't bad, it's just unexciting and takes the tight gameplay of Caylus and turns it into another bog-standard MWE. This is much more friendlier and probably more fun for new people than the original, and I get that they went for that, but for me it just seems unnecessary.

I think it's worth mentioning the variable setup. Did you play more than once? It feels like the special buildings that get set up could change the game a lot more than the original's rearranging the basic buildings. Our game had the gold mine in the default spot, having something else there could be really odd.
I don't think the lawyer/notary always being available is great, and as you said basically every change related to the castle is awful.

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

The rules for MegaCiv are by and large the exact same as in AdCiv. There are some map differences and several new technology additions. On the map, the highest number you'll see for max pop is 4 (I think, there may be one 5). It's going to be a bit tighter than in AdCiv, but then again it's been many many years since I've played AdCiv. The new technologies are great and add more depth to the game IMO.

MegaCiv was designed to be a reprint of AdCiv since it's been a cult classic that hasn't seen a reprint since the 90's (I think?). Easter/Western Empires are just renamed halves of MegaCiv due to legal issues with the 'Civilization' title since Gibson Games reprinted the original Civ last year.

Goldmansack fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 5, 2020

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

rchandra posted:

I think it's worth mentioning the variable setup. Did you play more than once? It feels like the special buildings that get set up could change the game a lot more than the original's rearranging the basic buildings. Our game had the gold mine in the default spot, having something else there could be really odd.
I don't think the lawyer/notary always being available is great, and as you said basically every change related to the castle is awful.
Oh yeah I forgot about that, I think potentially the different setups/available characters will make each individual game feel fresher, that’s a definite plus for 1303. It just that you could have included that (and potentially the favour change) without making other, unnecessary changes, the chief culprits being turn order and the castle.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I haven't gotten to play my copy yet for... Obvious reasons. Could you just houserule the turn order to work like the old game without breaking anything? Like I know that house rules shouldn't affect a game's rating but that seems easy enough to do

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

You can choose which sides to use. Not totally sure what you mean by AdCiv scale but do not play with the full map unless you've got the necessary amount of people but if you do for the love of God be prepared for an all day thing and to be doing tons of work, unless everyone is a veteran but even then the administration and upkeep will exhaust you. It's an incredible experience that everyone who participates in will talk about for a long time but good Lord it's work drat it.

MC/WE is both looser and tighter than AC in a couple of ways. Here's my best attempt to compare them as we did a brief game of AC on the weekend and it was interesting:

- the pop limits. In AC there are some yuge spots that can hold up to 5 units. You do not see those in MC
- AC has less techs to choose from which makes picking slightly easier because you're limited in your selections. MC has way way more which opens up your direction significantly and creates a semi-sandbox approach and can seem daunting since they are (generally) not as powerful but lets you do more things spread out across cards. (For example, Agriculture is insanely powerful in AC because it's a blanket +1 to all spots versus MC where it's only +1 to 2's and 1's. Mining is not even close to as good as it was in AC either.)
- AC and MC have the same trade good hand limit of 8... until you are playing with 12 or more and then MC's limit is 9
- MC adds minor calamities into the mix at 9 players and higher. They aren't too painful but getting one instead of a trade good is the real calamity.
- AC's calamities I think are more painful because you assign more damage with them. For example, Famine in AC is 10 to you and 20 to other people of which one person can't take more than 8 versus MC which is 10 to you and 15 to assign in groups to 5 to 3 other people. In AC Piracy will affect you no matter what, even if you don't have coastal cities. But MC adds the "you got greedy and will probably lose the game now" calamity, Regression. Cyclone is insanely brutal and I think many a player has traded it to someone thinking they dodged a bullet only to realise they gave it to a sea-neighbour or saw it traded to one of them.

Anyway, there are other examples but this is just intended to give you an overview of some differences. It actually has felt interesting going back to AC after playing so much MC and I cannot wait to try the OG Civ and see what that's like.

VVV TTS has a dune module that is apparently okay, if that's something you want to try.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 6, 2020

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I know it's a stupidly long shot, but, does anyone have any ideas how it might be possible to play Dune remotely? It feels like it's probably impossible, but it would be cool not just for the Pandemic sitch, but I have a friend in Malaysia who would really love to play a game with us but can't. I appreciate it's probably easier to set something up for one remote player than all, so open to suggestions for either scenario!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

!Klams posted:

I know it's a stupidly long shot, but, does anyone have any ideas how it might be possible to play Dune remotely? It feels like it's probably impossible, but it would be cool not just for the Pandemic sitch, but I have a friend in Malaysia who would really love to play a game with us but can't. I appreciate it's probably easier to set something up for one remote player than all, so open to suggestions for either scenario!

VASSAL or TTS?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

rchandra posted:

I think having the lawyer around is the way the designers tried to replicate the resource tightness from the original. A player aggressively turning resource buildings into estates can choke resources pretty effectively. From my experience, though, a player who does this is not actually likely to win.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

djfooboo posted:

VASSAL or TTS?

...Ooooooh, I SEE. I heard people banding VASSAL around before but thought it ... Well I dunno what I thought tbh. Ok, sick. Thanks, maybe this could work!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

You can't choke out all the resources in Caylus 1303, but it's pretty easy to choke out one resource in the game. If you build the only stone buildings in the game, you can immediately choke out the stone starters and force everyone to bow to you or get no stone. The castle changes are mostly bad, in that you can't be blocked out of the castle entirely since there isn't a limit to castle building. But it doesn't make castle building less mean, since I've seen favor fights over the better player powers. I think the increase in resources is a natural consequence of the turn limit. Most games of OG Caylus take well over a dozen turns to play through. Since the building costs have barely decreased in Caylus 1303, there needs to be more resources available so the blue buildings can come out in a reasonable amount of time. That said, the change in player order is a pure concession to modern MWE sensibilities.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lost Cities is currently free on IOS. Great port of one of Knizias best 2p

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lost-cities/id465062454

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

golden bubble posted:

Most games of OG Caylus take well over a dozen turns to play through.

There is an absolute limit of 17 turns in original Caylus. Shortest game I ever played was 11 turns, I think, but people do want the Provost to move forward in the early game so I've never seen a game go longer than 15 turns.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The problem for me is that you can push the road extremely quickly, especially in certain setups. I think our setup meant that the road got pushed really really early. People were building a lot of buildings, which was 2 per turn when only the wood building constructor was available, and then from turn 3 because the stone building was the favour, we could potentially go up to 5 buildings per turn (2 wood, 3 stone buildings from favours). Because two players went on a heavy build/meeple strat, by the end of the game we had every single building in the game built, including all of the monuments. The fact that the road got pushed up so quickly meant that really good actions were extremely safe, which lead to a glut of resources for everyone.

I think that's potentially in the setup, but I'm still unsure if I like the fact that the provost gets pushed up according to the number of buildings built.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

What are some good solo-able games that are great for isolation?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Spirit island?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
For those who care, GF9 have released the rules for the two expansion races for Dune, the Tlielaxu and Ixians. (Link to BGG Thread with rules) These are interesting because they're the first entirely GF9 designed houses, the others were all almost entirely just lifts of the old Avalon Hill game houses (with certain rules interpretations / clarifications). I personally think they fit in exceptionally well, and read like they could have been designed alongside the base game! They also both have a lot of really interesting game play implications.

As expected the Tlielaxu get paid when you pay for revive, but interestingly they can at their will up anyone's revive to 5, and can allow someone to revive a leader when they normally couldn't. (And obviously they set their own price for this!) Their traitors work differently, they get 3 and can replace one a turn (!) and can reveal them any time that leader wins a combat anywhere! Instead of them losing, (They still 'win') all of their stuff get's replaced by Tlielaxu units. Pretty scary!

The Ixians are super weird! At the start of the game they get a treachery card for each player, pick one and give the rest out at random. They take all the treachery cards (plus one) before bidding, and put one on the top or bottom of the deck, then shuffle them and lay them out, so they know what they all are, but not which is which, and have some say in what does or doesn't come out. So, yeah, masters of technology. But then also, they have a No-Room fortress that they ride around in, which is an extra stronghold that only they can deploy into, that moves 3 spaces a turn? Wtf? Also their basic troops are worth half, but they have elite cyborgs that are worth double and can move 2 (and take the poo poo ones with them 2 if they accompany them). Seems like it would really really shake things up, but while being totally bizarre feel to me very very similar in weirdness to the Fremen.

There's some other rules about tokens that you can score off other players that I'm less excited about (I kinda feel like there's enough going on already) but I can't wait to see it all and how it plays!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

uncle blog posted:

What are some good solo-able games that are great for isolation?

Mage Knight, Spirit Island - deep puzzly games also good with 2.
Space Empires 4X - wargame/civ game, also good with 2
Thunderbolt Apache Leader - light wargame, a good mix of puzzle and planning
Onirim - Solitaire/Klondike +++ with amazing/terrible art. Sylvion (deck management / tower defense) and Castellion (tile placement) in this series are better for me, I haven't played the later two (Aerion/Nautilion) yet.
Vilticulture or Snowdonia - worker placement with a bot blocking you, also good with 2-4.
Toe-to-Toe Nu'klr Combat with the Rooskies - just enjoy the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My son gave his dad and me Too Many Bones to help with boredom :) Should be here Saturday, any tips for our first game?