Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Grouchio posted:

If Inosuke dies next chapter I swear...

JESUS gently caress WHY ARE ALL SERIES SO DARK THIS WEEK

One Piece was very cheerful and exciting!

That's pretty much the one exception to the rule though, yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
drat YOU, GOTOUGE! HOW DARE YOU MAKE MY BEAUTIFUL IDIOT BOY CRY! Not fair! NOT FAIR! :cry:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Jim Dwyer posted:

As dramatic a twist as this is, I doubt that Tanjiro is going to cross the point of no return of killing someone and this probably ends quickly with Nezuko saving him as a parallel to the start of the manga.

:same:

This would be a neat way to end the series like in the end Tanjiro is saved by the one person who could understand his suffering.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Jim Dwyer posted:

As dramatic a twist as this is, I doubt that Tanjiro is going to cross the point of no return of killing someone and this probably ends quickly with Nezuko saving him as a parallel to the start of the manga.

Probably, but it is kind of a shame because I would totally go for an arc of seeing Demon-King Tanjiro take over Muzan's role and seeing what he does differently, what his relationship with his demonic sub-ordinates would be etc. Like, if he basically kept his current personality but just had "demons" and "humans" mentally flipped in his head.

Probably just gearing up to the end though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sadly, nezuko is probably going to get gutted instead of inosuke. she's always been a humanoid plot device so why would that change now?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nezuko is going to headbutt Tanjirou any second now

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I loved is that, even with that little introspective bit, Muzan remained a greedy rear end in a top hat to the end. Bra. Vo. :golfclap:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I now want the story to end with a recreation of Goku VS Piccolo at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, only this time it's Tanjiro and Nezuko fighting

Then a time skip, and it's Demon Slayer Z taking place in post apocalyptic 1980s Japan (Demons caused the cold war to go hot) with Nezuko's kid being trained by their cranky with a heart of gold Uncle so that they can fight... let's say Space Demons (turns out the blue spider lily was exo fauna)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wark Say posted:

One thing I loved is that, even with that little introspective bit, Muzan remained a greedy rear end in a top hat to the end. Bra. Vo. :golfclap:

I'll second this. I was genuinely worried Muzan was going to get a post-death redemption like every demon until now has...and then nope, he understood the idea that all life ends and accepted his own death but don't even remotely believe that means he doesn't have a final gently caress you for the entire world.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I'd be more on board for this if we had some info on Demon Tanjirou's perspective or thoughts - even if he's got Muzan's memories and knowledge it should still be Tanjirou underneath that, especially since I doubt that Muzan would have intended to make a mindless demon for his "heir". I guess it's not out of sorts for a newly created demon to be irrational (see Nezuko trying to bite Tanjirou) but it's a bit :nallears: to be like "yes, tanjirou is the demons now"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

It's the same as when Nezuko went demon and it's gonna end the same way but with Nezuko bringing him back.

Cyclical narratives are like writing 101.

Like with the way the series has gone it has to, because to do otherwise means Nezuko has ultimately had no purpose in the story outside of a literal prop that is occasionally a deus ex machina (though you could argue this is just her being a deus ex machina again) and while I'm unimpressed with a lot of KnY I don't think Gotouge would drop the ball on that here at the end.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Nezuko is going to kick his dang head off

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wark Say posted:

the way muzan goes out is so perfect. what a dick, seriously

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wark Say posted:

I love it.

I understand now. I can't be immortal. Everyone must die. But their feelings live on. My eternal rival, you were right. Flesh dies but feelings live on forever. Feelings killed even me. I understand now. So MY FEELINGS WILL KILL YOU ALL.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
It's refreshing to see a popular shonen series that doesn't deliberately drag itself out for 700 chapters. I think it's better to be left wanting more than the alternative, so while I do wish some characters such as the Shinazugawa brothers had a bit more development or screen time, I'm glad we didn't spend literal years having Tanjiro kill a Demon Moon while paired up with a new Pillar every time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

It's refreshing to see a popular shonen series that doesn't deliberately drag itself out for 700 chapters. I think it's better to be left wanting more than the alternative, so while I do wish some characters such as the Shinazugawa brothers had a bit more development or screen time, I'm glad we didn't spend literal years having Tanjiro kill a Demon Moon while paired up with a new Pillar every time.

Conversely, I wish it had another 150 chapters so there weren't scenes of Tanjirou talking to Genya about his brother that we didn't get to see for real and also Zenitsu overcoming his greatest flaw. And y'know, Nezuko could maybe do more things since Hantengu as well.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Conversely, I wish it had another 150 chapters so there weren't scenes of Tanjirou talking to Genya about his brother that we didn't get to see for real and also Zenitsu overcoming his greatest flaw. And y'know, Nezuko could maybe do more things since Hantengu as well.

Nezuko's gonna save her brother, I feel like she's done plenty for a Shonen girl character. She could have had more fight scenes, we could have learned more about her abilities, but at the same time she easily could have just stayed as a cutesy little girl mascot character.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh I don't think nezuko's role or average screen time would have been any different if it had taken way longer to reach this point

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh I don't think nezuko's role or average screen time would have been any different if it had taken way longer to reach this point

I'm just glad it ended quickly so we can move on to the next arc.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

maybe im in the minority here but for this series, that was exactly what I wanted. the first few arcs were extremely good, and though they were followed a formula, it was very good and worked every time. I prefer the arcs of these characters to be given the proper space to be told instead of all at once in a free-for-all climax that comes out of nowhere

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Alder posted:

I'm just glad it ended quickly so we can move on to the next arc.

what next arc

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

afaik it's not confirmed to be ending or anything. there could be another arc for all we know

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Couldn’t zenitsu just heal up and duff tanjiro himself at this point? The jojo route would be boring imo but who knows what’s gonna happen here

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Professorjuggalo posted:

Couldn’t zenitsu just heal up and duff tanjiro himself at this point? The jojo route would be boring imo but who knows what’s gonna happen here

Zenitsu is super beat up like everyone else. Also like Inosuke he just might not be cold enough to kill Tanjiro.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It'd be wild if this goes Tales of Graces at the end of this.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think that if Tanjiro bites Nezuko, he'll get the anti-demon serum from her blood?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

afaik it's not confirmed to be ending or anything. there could be another arc for all we know

but doing what exactly

unless nezuko fails and the new enemy is evil tanjiro, there's nowhere else to go without basically making a new series or asspulling "and now, america satan!" or something

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Patware posted:

but doing what exactly

unless nezuko fails and the new enemy is evil tanjiro

you answered your own question

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah but that would be such absolute trash writing

it would be egregiously ruinous to nezuko's character with the only reward being stretching out the comic past what it should at this point be capable of just to swerve the cyclical narrative expectation

the rewards do not outweigh the costs on that one

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Patware posted:

but doing what exactly

unless nezuko fails and the new enemy is evil tanjiro, there's nowhere else to go without basically making a new series or asspulling "and now, america satan!" or something

It'll end just like the anime did.

The next 80 chapters will just be downtime of everyone recovering and doing their best to move forward despite their losses.

And then it'll cliffhanger on everyone learning about the Blue Spider Lilly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Patware posted:

yeah but that would be such absolute trash writing

it would be egregiously ruinous to nezuko's character with the only reward being stretching out the comic past what it should at this point be capable of just to swerve the cyclical narrative expectation

the rewards do not outweigh the costs on that one

what character

there are a lot of assumptions going on here but fact is, we don't know this wasn't the plan. I don't see why this has to be bad

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like this manga, including the battle which muzan which is apparently the minority opinion around here. but it has never done right by nezuko. gagging her made for a striking visual, but making nezuko mute and largely insensible even when she wasn't comatose was a huge mistake. she never had character development. she barely had a personality.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

what character

there are a lot of assumptions going on here but fact is, we don't know this wasn't the plan. I don't see why this has to be bad

if the plan was to subvert the expectations of a cyclical narrative and take away the only possible payoff of a character who has basically spent 3/4ths of the series in a box for this moment, it's a pretty bad plan

i'll grant that there are ways it can be sold to push out into one last arc that will work out in the end but nezuko would need to be the primary character of that arc being out in front doing dope poo poo and i have no reason to be confident that's what'll happen. if nezuko fails and then evil tanjiro arc is like giyuu/zenitsu/inosuke you can keep it

i don't think kimetsu no yaiba is bad but i think it could drop a really critical ball here and i wish i had confidence it wouldn't

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you think that if Tanjiro bites Nezuko, he'll get the anti-demon serum from her blood?

Yeah this is what I'm thinking. Could go the tragic ending path though

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 8, 2020

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Patware posted:

if the plan was to subvert the expectations of a cyclical narrative and take away the only possible payoff of a character who has basically spent 3/4ths of the series in a box for this moment, it's a pretty bad plan

i'll grant that there are ways it can be sold to push out into one last arc that will work out in the end but nezuko would need to be the primary character of that arc being out in front doing dope poo poo and i have no reason to be confident that's what'll happen. if nezuko fails and then evil tanjiro arc is like giyuu/zenitsu/inosuke you can keep it

i don't think kimetsu no yaiba is bad but i think it could drop a really critical ball here and i wish i had confidence it wouldn't

idk I think you're making a lot of assumptions here based on nothing. actually most of the complaints about this arc seem to be based on assumptions. like "well the series was cancelled and that's why we don't get character arcs for snake guy or whoever!". but where's the proof of that?

I don't understand getting upset over how you assume things went down in editorial or how you think the author will follow follow current events up

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like this manga, including the battle which muzan which is apparently the minority opinion around here. but it has never done right by nezuko. gagging her made for a striking visual, but making nezuko mute and largely insensible even when she wasn't comatose was a huge mistake. she never had character development. she barely had a personality.

She should have been unmuzzled by like, after the spider family arc at latest, when we started seeing more non-Tamayo demons with non-murdery thoughts.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Patware posted:

but doing what exactly

I'm telling you, tournament arc to determine the new pillars

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Whether it ends here or there's a new arc this arc has been deeply unsatisfactory. I don't think I've been engaged with this manga since Azaka died.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they don't really need new pillars unless tanjiro gets loose and starts making more demons. there are no new demons and no more moons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Nezuko exploding Rui/Her blood to help Tanjiro cut his head off was a Great Moment