Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Probably would have avoided using the word "liquidated" tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Your arrow points at "Squat squad". Is that what you call your posse when you visit her grave?

e:beaten :argh:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'd approve of clap for Boris, but I suspect he already has it. Wasted effort.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Who on earth could have foreseen that the funding would dry up after Corbyn is ejected? :iiam:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

As far as I can tell from the other coronavirus thread, the IMHE model is kind of trash - it assumes all lockdowns are equal, and that the results of our shoddy lockdowns can be modelled by looking at the results of China and South Korea's sensible lockdowns. Bonus, it's trash that's currently writing US policy!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Arbeit macht frei

I maintain that this needs to be chiseled onto IDS's gravestone, and until that day be displayed on a placard carried by a pantomime chicken which must appear behind him at every public appearance.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I'm deliberately holding off on this until things get more normal. Might do some gardening instead.

I am faced with the dilemma of "I don't want to wire in a RCD protected point in the bathroom for the dehumidifier while there's no hospital space" vs "I don't want to use the dehumidifier in the bathroom on a lovely extension lead with no protection while there's no hospital space" but I'm solving that with "open the window instead" for the moment. Knowing my luck this will lead to a black mold

You're missing the inevitable "Somehow manage to slip and fall through the window getting out of the shower and impale your arse on a garden gnome" option.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're missing the inevitable "Somehow manage to slip and fall through the window getting out of the shower and impale your arse on a garden gnome" option.

I had to go to A&E a month ago with what turned out to be a prolapsed lumbar disc but the way I had to shamble about the place and sit with sort of one arsecheek on the seat and clinging to the back of it made me really self-conscious that people would think i had got something stuck up my bum

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

Vorsprung Durchfall Technik

:golfclap:

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1247848056768344064?s=19

The concept of 60-80% infection leading to a 1% death rate would be worth a lol if it wasn't so loving tragic.

Nevertheless, the authors of the Imperial paper apparently are directly responsible for saving millions of lives

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

pumpinglemma posted:

As far as I can tell from the other coronavirus thread, the IMHE model is kind of trash - it assumes all lockdowns are equal, and that the results of our shoddy lockdowns can be modelled by looking at the results of China and South Korea's sensible lockdowns. Bonus, it's trash that's currently writing US policy!

Yeah

The US is about the only place in the world I'd rather not be right now.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

pumpinglemma posted:

So 66k is based on the prior that our lockdown is as good as South Korea’s? ‘kin ‘ell.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jakabite posted:

This last part shouldn't matter and we wouldn't let this be a reasonable excuse for any other business or institution - if the unis are struggling they need to be putting pressure on government. This is how I see a lot of this working tbh - consumers/workers put pressure on organisations and those organisations push the pressure up the chain, with the ideal being the government eventually being forced to levy a massive temporaroy (or not) tax on mega-corps. Well, that or a breakdown of capitalist society into successful anarchism but I don't think the population is ideologically primed for that.

pretty much agree, it shouldn’t work like this
and wish best of luck to student unions who I assume are organising for putting pressure on for a change of tack

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

I had to go to A&E a month ago with what turned out to be a prolapsed lumbar disc but the way I had to shamble about the place and sit with sort of one arsecheek on the seat and clinging to the back of it made me really self-conscious that people would think i had got something stuck up my bum

Checking in to A&E, clocking the look on the nurses face: "No honestly this time you don't need the three strong men and a stout rope, it's just my back"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I'm deliberately holding off on this until things get more normal. Might do some gardening instead.

I am faced with the dilemma of "I don't want to wire in a RCD protected point in the bathroom for the dehumidifier while there's no hospital space" vs "I don't want to use the dehumidifier in the bathroom on a lovely extension lead with no protection while there's no hospital space" but I'm solving that with "open the window instead" for the moment. Knowing my luck this will lead to a black mold related incident instead.

Are your sockets not protected with an RCD from the consumer unit? I thought RCD outlets in bathrooms were more an American thing.

e. For anyone wondering why I've been doing so much day-posting recently, I developed a persistent cough so I'm off work for seven days. And for bonus isolation I'm staying in one small room to try and avoid giving anything to my wife and baby! :toot:

I don't think it's Covid though, I don't have any fever and otherwise feel fine. But who knows I guess.

jabby fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 8, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gort posted:

If the UK does end up with far higher death rates than the US, I'd suggest that the reasons are that the UK has a population density nearly ten times that of the US, and their houses are triple the size on average.

And also that all the numbers are bollocks because politicians are loving with them and testing isn't being done, so we don't actually know the death toll or the numbers of infected.

The reason is pretty obvious.
Were at Italy levels of hosed (700 per day was when they started to buckle) and the gov hasn't even begun to do anything.

No ppe, no testing, no case isolation, 7 day quarantines for a 30 day illness. The only thing they've done is asked people nicely to stay home.

Its clear the gov isn't actually responding yet coz yesterday they had 1 confirmed case and 2 likely cases all in the same room with the new PM after the old one died.

This is just the herd immunity plan because they've already given up on responding properly coz theyr too far behind.

Funny that its taken this long for the press to start understanding those FT graphs though,
I noticed last week they weren't accounting for population but the UK was 2nd highest.
God help the press when someone tells them what a log scale is

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah

The US is about the only place in the world I'd rather not be right now.

Don't look up the situation in Ecuador then.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

:cheers:

Necrothatcher posted:

I have no kidding been running my daily exercise on my bike past the news crews at St Thomas Hospital in the hope of being vox popped. No luck yet.

"We now go to our resident PM Deathsayer, Necrothatcher, about his thoughts on the demise of Boris Johnson"

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

jabby posted:

Are your sockets not protected with an RCD from the consumer unit? I thought RCD outlets in bathrooms were more an American thing.

wiring regs prohibit 230V outlets of any kind within 3m of a bath or shower, 110 shaver points only.

e: I dont think I've ever seen a bathroom big enough to accommodate this rule.

kecske fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 8, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I feel like if "clinically stable" and "responding to treatment" are the best spin Downing St can put on Boris' condition right now he must be proper hosed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Filboid Studge posted:

So 66k is based on the prior that our lockdown is as good as South Korea’s? ‘kin ‘ell.

Yes. Expect at least 250,000 dead here, more likely 500,000-600,000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't look up the situation in Ecuador then.

Ok, thanks for the warning (genuinely)

Need to take another break I think. Myself and my partner woke up feeling...weird, today. Achey and tired, and I didn't tell her but I was up in the night feeling a bit short of breath and am occasionally still feeling it today. Think it's probably anxiety/weekend withdrawals on my part and her arthritis acting up on hers (yesterday was hideously stressful for her and that always makes it flare), but my heart's going like the clappers today :smith: going to take a chill pill, have a weed, and wait and see what happens

EDIT oh and jabby hope you feel better soon, pal. You are a loving hero.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

peanut- posted:

I feel like if "clinically stable" and "responding to treatment" are the best spin Downing St can put on Boris' condition right now he must be proper hosed.

Doesn't get more clinically stable than when the patient flatlines, surely.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jabby posted:

e. For anyone wondering why I've been doing so much day-posting recently, I developed a persistent cough so I'm off work for seven days. And for bonus isolation I'm staying in one small room to try and avoid giving anything to my wife and baby! :toot:

I don't think it's Covid though, I don't have any fever and otherwise feel fine. But who knows I guess.

Feel better, mate. I've had a cough since 22-Mar which has just now resolved, but like you no other symptoms except for maybe slight increase in my usual orthostatic hypotension. Could well be Covid, but don't really care until testing is available for asymptomatics.

It becomes increasingly obvious with every passing hour that Boris is, at the very least, in a medically-induced coma. The concept that he's in "good spirits" and just chilling out unventilated in the ICU during a pandemic is risible and insulting tbh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

There is a main one, but that turns off the entire house, so that would both be a pain if it tripped and also something that I can't really test every time I use it unless I want to reset the oven clock every time I have a shower (I don't).
They don't often get stuck, but 'not often' is too often.

What I want isn't a plug socket, but a hardwired point like you'd use for a bathroom heater, but also RCD protected so I can test it before putting my damp hands all over the dehumidifier.

Or a dehumidifier with a remote control I guess, but £££ and I'm stuck with this old one for the moment.

jabby posted:

Hoping you get well soon!

kecske posted:

wiring regs prohibit 230V outlets of any kind within 3m of a bath or shower, 110 shaver points only.

e: I dont think I've ever seen a bathroom big enough to accommodate this rule.
You can have hardwired points, or you can have sockets in an area that's only accessible by tools, so I could box off the bottom of the cupboard and put RCD sockets there for it if I really wanted, or just cut the plug off and do a hardwired point.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Barry Foster posted:

Yes. Expect at least 250,000 dead here, more likely 500,000-600,000

Ok, thanks for the warning (genuinely)

Need to take another break I think. Myself and my partner woke up feeling...weird, today. Achey and tired, and I didn't tell her but I was up in the night feeling a bit short of breath and am occasionally still feeling it today. Think it's probably anxiety/weekend withdrawals on my part and her arthritis acting up on hers (yesterday was hideously stressful for her and that always makes it flare), but my heart's going like the clappers today :smith: going to take a chill pill, have a weed, and wait and see what happens

EDIT oh and jabby hope you feel better soon, pal. You are a loving hero.

Pollen count has rocketed in the last few days, I've been sleeping weird and popping more smints to keep my throat feeling a-okay.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Want some (lame and boring) insider medical knowledge? Because there's currently a battle of wills going on between Public Health England and the Resuscitation Council UK.

The Resus Council, which trains and certifies us all in Advanced Life Support (CPR etc.) thinks CPR is an Aerosol Generating Procedure, based on studies showing high infection rates in healthcare workers who performed CPR on patients with SARS/MERS etc. This is largely in line with what everybody thought before the Covid outbreak, and it means they advise full FFP3 mask/gown to perform CPR on suspected/confirmed Covid patients.

Public Health England, on the other hand, have "reviewed the evidence" and decided that none of the studies showing high infection rates were large or powerful enough, so they've decided CPR is not a high risk procedure. They don't have any particular evidence it's safe, they just reject the evidence that it's harmful. This means changing their guidance so you can perform CPR with just a surgical mask and apron. They've distributed this brand new advice to all hospitals.

The Resus Council, uncharacteristically, has stuck to their guns and released a statement in response saying their original advice stands. So two senior bodies, two different sets of guidelines.

Which do you think the hospitals have been pushing on their staff? If you guessed "the one that requires less PPE", correct! Yesterday we had a little group of managers and the resus officer going ward-to-ward informing us that we no longer require full PPE to perform CPR. When a junior doctor asserted that they wouldn't be happy to go against the Resus Council guidelines, managers said in that case they'd want their GMC number so they could be reported if one of their patients didn't get CPR. Basically, you will put your life/your families lives at risk for a maybe 1% chance of saving the patient or we'll gently caress up your career.

So yeah, all going well.

jabby fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 8, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

josh04 posted:

Pollen count has rocketed in the last few days, I've been sleeping weird and popping more smints to keep my throat feeling a-okay.

Oh. Ohhh. I've also had a really scratchy throat over the last 24 hours or so.

Well that might explain that. Gor bless you pal, that might well be a big load of my mind

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

josh04 posted:

10mg cetirizine once or twice a day, my dude

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Feel better, mate. I've had a cough since 22-Mar which has just now resolved, but like you no other symptoms except for maybe slight increase in my usual orthostatic hypotension. Could well be Covid, but don't really care until testing is available for asymptomatics.

Same here, super persistent cough for a few weeks which has now mostly disappeared but no fever / temp etc., so.... who knows? Can't get tested so...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Failed Imagineer posted:

10mg cetirizine once or twice a day, my dude

I also have a nut allergy, so I'm well-stocked on cetirizine, but the smints are nice because I can take them whether it's nuts, pollen, or just feeling a bit anxious. Would probably help with the sleeping though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

josh04 posted:

I also have a nut allergy, so I'm well-stocked on cetirizine, but the smints are nice because I can take them whether it's nuts, pollen, or just feeling a bit anxious. Would probably help with the sleeping though.

I forget the half life of cetirizine, but it seems to be more effective when you build up with a consistent dosing. Someone might chime in that antihistamines can cause neurological problems, but second gen antihistamines like cetirizine don't really cross the blood-brain barrier that well so it's probably ok to :justdose:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

You can have hardwired points, or you can have sockets in an area that's only accessible by tools, so I could box off the bottom of the cupboard and put RCD sockets there for it if I really wanted, or just cut the plug off and do a hardwired point.

You'd have to put the switch to a fixed spur outside the bathroom above the door or something, unless you want to run a dedicated circuit and switch it from the consumer unit every time. I've seen a flat where the guy wanted sockets beneath the feet of the bath behind the panel so he could put a tv in the bathroom, and then the bathroom fitter bodged the seal around the tub and let water bleed through so the RCD would never make. Ymmv with 'outside the zones'.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jabby posted:

Want some (lame and boring) insider medical knowledge? Because there's currently a battle of wills going on between Public Health England and the Resuscitation Council UK.

The Resus Council, which trains and certifies us all in Advanced Life Support (CPR etc.) thinks CPR is an Aerosol Generating Procedure, based on studies showing high infection rates in healthcare workers who performed CPR on patients with SARS/MERS etc. This is largely in line with what everybody thought before the Covid outbreak, and it means they advise full FFP3 mask/gown to perform CPR on suspected/confirmed Covid patients.

Public Health England, on the other hand, have "reviewed the evidence" and decided that none of the studies showing high infection rates were large or powerful enough, so they've decided CPR is not a high risk procedure. They don't have any particular evidence it's safe, they just reject the evidence that it's harmful. This means changing their guidance so you can perform CPR with just a surgical mask and apron. They've distributed this brand new advice to all hospitals.

The Resus Council, uncharacteristically, has stuck to their guns and released a statement in response saying their original advice stands. So two senior bodies, two different sets of guidelines.

Which do you think the hospitals have been pushing on their staff? If you guessed "the one that requires less PPE", correct! Yesterday we had a little group of managers and the resus officer going ward-to-ward informing us that we no longer require full PPE to perform CPR. When a junior doctor asserted that they wouldn't be happy to go against the Resus Council guidelines, managers said in that case they'd want their GMC number so they could be reported if one of their patients didn't get CPR. Basically, you will put your life/your families lives at risk for a maybe 1% chance of saving the patient or we'll gently caress up your career.

So yeah, all going well.

Sounds about right. Can't get enough PPE so redefine what PPE is and what safe is. We're ruled by cunts who think if they change what words mean they can redefine reality.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Failed Imagineer posted:

I forget the half life of cetirizine, but it seems to be more effective when you build up with a consistent dosing. Someone might chime in that antihistamines can cause neurological problems, but second gen antihistamines like cetirizine don't really cross the blood-brain barrier that well so it's probably ok to :justdose:

I am half-asleep today because I just said I'd take a smint in case of a nut reaction, which is, uh, not the case. Good god. I take cetirizine daily in summer when I'm out and about, I'll probably do the same if this persists.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

huh ok

I've been rationing them but it sounds like that's not the best use of resources

Cheers all. This thread is simultaneously the source of my deepest despair and some of my best support :unsmith:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Go Outdoors have rebranded slightly

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

You'd have to put the switch to a fixed spur outside the bathroom above the door or something, unless you want to run a dedicated circuit and switch it from the consumer unit every time. I've seen a flat where the guy wanted sockets beneath the feet of the bath behind the panel so he could put a tv in the bathroom, and then the bathroom fitter bodged the seal around the tub and let water bleed through so the RCD would never make. Ymmv with 'outside the zones'.
Fortunately due to Victorian weirdness my bathroom has a ceiling lower than the bedroom that connects to it, so I was going to stick an RCD and isolator above the door just by drilling through, which gets me into the roofspace above the bathroom. That can then come down into the cupboard space and to an outlet plate.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sounds about right. Can't get enough PPE so redefine what PPE is and what safe is. We're ruled by cunts who think if they change what words mean they can redefine reality.
Remember when Tony Blair of the Tony Blair Institute reduced child poverty by redefining it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Red Oktober posted:

Same here, super persistent cough for a few weeks which has now mostly disappeared but no fever / temp etc., so.... who knows? Can't get tested so...

Cough since 1st March here. Comes in short bursts, especially when lie down to sleep! I have some pholcodeine linctus which gets me off to sleep and keeps it at bay for a few hours.

BUT I get a prolonged cough that goes on for several weeks almost every spring. I remember one I had when I was 14 and living in an area quite dense with blocks of flats in the Ruhr - my hacking cough all night was driving everyone insane.
I have finally wondered whether it is an allergen (hayfever) cough so yesterday bought some non-drowsy hayfever tabs to try. Took one just now will see what happens!

It also means though that I have taken myself off the 'doing shopping for others' list (other than my immediate 87 year old neighbour) because the cough is very alarming to other people!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Can't think of TBI without thinking Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Gonzo McFee posted:

This is what our political system has degenerated into - all it can do is churn out people whose only skills are in PR and media spin. And even those skills have begun to atrophy lately due to the active collusion between them and the papers/political correspondents - they barely even have to try.

Incompetence doesn't even begin to describe it. They literally have no idea how to govern - just how to spin narratives and shift blame while they enrich themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

I enjoy doom-saying about the UKs response as much as the next lunatic internet person but those figures don't look right at all.

It's estimating the UK will have 1.5x the deaths of italy and Spain combined and more than most of the rest of Europe put together. The estimates for yesterday and earlier are miles out from actual reported and even in my darkest moments I can't believe the UK will suffer worse than the US, a country with 6x the population and where hospitals are going bankrupt before they even start receiving significant numbers of covid patients.