Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Post a screenshot of your policies and the options for your robot species? Maybe someone will spot a solution

My AI-policies. Right down at the very edge you can see my empire only allows "displacement" purges. Fun fact: I set those to "no purges at all" after the fact, but it didn't change anything. The purges continue.

All my robot-types look like this under species rights.

This here was set to "extermination" when I first looked into here. Manually setting to "displacement" and forbidding all purges made the extermination-option disappear. The rest didn't change.

Setting back to default rights also didn't do anything, and after the first try the game told me I have to wait the obligatory 10 years for the next attempt. So that's basically it, this game is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You should've set it to 'Neutering' instead and waited to see how the game handled all those robo-balls being removed.

Also, you should post the save on the Paradox forums and ask for a fix.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I've filed a bug report. Also, like three other people have filed this exact same bug, as it turns out. This happens since 2.3.3, according to people on the forums.

Apparently, if Paradox hasn't fixed this bug yet, it must not be very important to them. But if the next Beta patch includes a fix, I'll be surprised and thankful!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Aethernet posted:

I built one of these, discovered it was immensely slow and then left it somewhere and forgot about it. Has anyone found a use for them, given you can repair at captured bases?

I don't have the DLC, but recent patch notes suggest that Jugg's now self-repair in 2.6.3?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Libluini posted:

Apparently, if Paradox hasn't fixed this bug yet, it must not be very important to them.
You do realize that they have limited resources and a lot of bugs to fix, right? Saying "if its not fixed it must not be important to them" makes you sound like a petulant child. You have to understand that if THREE out of the dozens of thousands of people playing the game after the release of this expansion have reported it, that is an incredibly small percentage of the playerbase affected. Just because you reported it doesnt mean they know how or why it is happening and how to fix it. Just because they havent fixed it doesnt mean that they dont want to or will refuse to; its just that some bugs are actually pretty hard to fix.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm just going to point out, that other major studios that have a vested interest in keeping their product bug free (Blizzard and their e-sports titles such as Starcraft) don't seem to have problems squashing bugs with extreme prejudice. "Completely bug-free" is an unrealistic goal, but that's not what players are asking for with Stellaris.

fake edit: I just realized that tiny studios keep on top of it too, stuff like Cogmind and Qud have devs that are super-active and responsive to bug reports.

real edit: I've also run afoul of that bug, several times too. It's kinda ruinous but I've played on. To be very clear here, Stellaris has a huge backlog of known major bugs that are languishing. Any given bug might only affect a minor slice of the vocal player base, but the sheer quantity of them all will all but guarantee that you'll be bumping into them.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 8, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You do realize that they have limited resources and a lot of bugs to fix, right? Saying "if its not fixed it must not be important to them" makes you sound like a petulant child. You have to understand that if THREE out of the dozens of thousands of people playing the game after the release of this expansion have reported it, that is an incredibly small percentage of the playerbase affected. Just because you reported it doesnt mean they know how or why it is happening and how to fix it. Just because they havent fixed it doesnt mean that they dont want to or will refuse to; its just that some bugs are actually pretty hard to fix.

Dude, I was joking. I do not actually care enough about a video game to get angry at the devs. Also the third one made his bug report for 2.3.3, so it's only two official bug reports for the newest patch. Last time I checked, that is. Back when I posted my own, I couldn't see anyone else, but then suddenly people started to post in that old one and at least a new one popped up the next day, so people are apparently noticing this issue. Also I don't know if I should count the additional people posting about the bug in those three threads, since they haven't "officially" filed a bug report, after all.

In fact, I think I'm kind of lucky. I put 30+ hours into Stellaris in just three days, until this bug stopped me cold on Tuesday. Now I'm doing actually worthwhile poo poo like hanging up a new bird feeder in our garden, and reading books.

Without that bug, I'd still try to force myself to finally complete a run of Stellaris. :shepface:

Anyway, I recommend going outside and switching your computer off, as calling people "petulant child" over a video game bug is beyond parody and a sure-fire way to identify terminal internet poisoning, heh.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 8, 2020

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Libluini posted:

Without that bug, I'd still try to force myself to finally complete a run of Stellaris. :shepface:

Lol, finishing games of Stellaris, who actually does that

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lol, finishing games of Stellaris, who actually does that

5.3% of the player base, apparently? lol

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
After they removed the... 70%(?) Conquest victory and only had this score victory (as well as 100% conquest) i've only ever finished one, maybe two games.

2400+ is just so booooring. Even if you have won so hard that you could fight the entire galaxy including fallen empires and the crisis at the same time, actually doing so is such a slog.

I dislike the war in heaven for that reason - it's the definition of a hellwar and good god is miserable to actually play out. It doesn't even stop when you kill both awakened empires.

:negative:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
A lot of making this game interesting is setting the midgame/endgame dates correctly and playing on a small enough map.

On default settings I can usually wipe out the marauders before they awake, and there's a ton of waiting around before the crisis starts.

I'd suggest knocking something like fifty years off both midgame and endgame dates and playing on tiny maps - you get pretty much the same experience but it's compressed so you get more interesting stuff happening and less waiting around for it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Libluini posted:

Dude, I was joking. I do not actually care enough about a video game to get angry at the devs. Also the third one made his bug report for 2.3.3, so it's only two official bug reports for the newest patch. Last time I checked, that is. Back when I posted my own, I couldn't see anyone else, but then suddenly people started to post in that old one and at least a new one popped up the next day, so people are apparently noticing this issue. Also I don't know if I should count the additional people posting about the bug in those three threads, since they haven't "officially" filed a bug report, after all.

In fact, I think I'm kind of lucky. I put 30+ hours into Stellaris in just three days, until this bug stopped me cold on Tuesday. Now I'm doing actually worthwhile poo poo like hanging up a new bird feeder in our garden, and reading books.

Bro, I'm not your dude (this is me trying to be funny because I wasnt trying to be some hardass, just point out that what you said sounded a bit extreme). You really didnt sound like you were joking - there was nothing in your post to indicate that there was sarcasm or lightheartedness. If you were indeed joking I'm sorry for calling you out.

Libluini posted:

Anyway, I recommend going outside and switching your computer off, as calling people "petulant child" over a video game bug is beyond parody and a sure-fire way to identify terminal internet poisoning, heh.
Thankfully I didnt call you a petulant child, I said that what you said makes you sound like one. I was giving you an opportunity to walk it back, which you have done. What you said sounded like "terminal internet posting" to me, hence why I said something :shrug:

Serephina posted:

I'm just going to point out, that other major studios that have a vested interest in keeping their product bug free (Blizzard and their e-sports titles such as Starcraft) don't seem to have problems squashing bugs with extreme prejudice. "Completely bug-free" is an unrealistic goal, but that's not what players are asking for with Stellaris.

fake edit: I just realized that tiny studios keep on top of it too, stuff like Cogmind and Qud have devs that are super-active and responsive to bug reports.

real edit: I've also run afoul of that bug, several times too. It's kinda ruinous but I've played on. To be very clear here, Stellaris has a huge backlog of known major bugs that are languishing. Any given bug might only affect a minor slice of the vocal player base, but the sheer quantity of them all will all but guarantee that you'll be bumping into them.
Oh I completely agree but Stellaris has been in this state since its release so why should we start to expect anything different?

edit: I work in software as a service for a decently large company and we live in a constant state of buried under more bugs that could be fixed in the amount of time shareholders would be okay with so we do the same thing PDX does - just make our users deal with it and use work-arounds for stuff that cant be dealt with, all so we can work on the next big release.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 8, 2020

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Another bug.

The "pull the lever" anomaly that generates a wormhole? You can't explore it.

:killing:

i've actually stopped pulling the lever because 9 times out of 10 the wormhole was inconvenient

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Aethernet posted:

I did like the change that lets you colonise the Rubricator relic world and still do the excavation without losing the colony.

How? I colonized the planet, then did the dig and it immediately slagged my planet, no choices for me.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Fhqwhgads posted:

How? I colonized the planet, then did the dig and it immediately slagged my planet, no choices for me.

You need to be using the beta patch.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I got a funny error. I'm playing Fanatic Xenophobes with a side of Pacifism who started on a Gaia world. I turned off starting planets, drastically reduced the number of starlanes but jacked up Gates and wormholes to max. The first planet I settled was a Relic World and I got the text for slamming into it the way the rock people do. No penalties but the description of my peaceful tomato people hurling themselves into the planet as entire continents are obliterated was fairly startling.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
attack of the killer space tomatos

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Man, trying the old, "Build robots everywhere" strategy feels like it leaves you hella weak now. There just aren't enough building slots to have roboticists, amenities, and meaningful production on small worlds in the early game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sloober posted:

i've actually stopped pulling the lever because 9 times out of 10 the wormhole was inconvenient

Yeah pulling the lever is a trap option if I've ever seen one.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Sloober posted:

I disable wormholes in all my games and never pull the lever, because they are almost always inconvenient. 9/10 one of the wormholes in my territory would link to a xenophobe FE, and after I started disabling wormholes I just find that I don't miss them. Maybe I'll enable them again one day and see if it significantly changes how the game plays... without linking to the xenophobe FE.

The materials you get for tearing the lever apart will pretty much always be more useful than a random wormhole anyway.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Wormholes are the easiest way to not have any threats that matter while still having rivals etc. because it really does seem like most of the time the empire on the other end is jerks who the galaxy would be better off without. Also they're readymade chokepoints and chokepoints are the best. If I end up with one that connects to a FE i just jettison that system and have a gap.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I like wormholes if I'm hellbent on conquering something, galactic shortcuts are nice to have before I can build gateways.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So I'm having an issue with my current xenophobe/materialist void dwellers. I have gene-modded the hell out of my entire race but now I can't alter anything about their rights without taking away their citizenship because "they're too alien". This also happens with my original race template because, I assume, my race has become so different from it :shrug:

I'm not exactly hosed by this because I have a huge tech and economic lead, but it would be nice to have the option to change living standards.

Besides this one hiccough though, I'm really enjoying the latest expansion (doubly so now that me and my friend I play multiplayer with aren't having desyncs every 15-30 minutes). Origins are good, new federations are good, Juggernaut seems cool but making Colossus Project a mandatory ascension perk for it feels lovely when you're not planning to build the drat colossus.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

I like wormholes if I'm hellbent on conquering something, galactic shortcuts are nice to have before I can build gateways.

yeah i dont know what it is but almost every time i seem to find a wormhole it just leaps a constellation to a rival empire and i gotta bastion yet another spot up

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Jugg seriously needs a speed buff, or the ability to have a bunch of corvettes tow it around.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

And Tyler Too! posted:

The Jugg seriously needs a speed buff, or the ability to have a bunch of corvettes tow it around.
I would just love it if we could customize our ships more. I would like to sacrifice Armor/Shield slots for additional Afterburner slots. Or sacrifice Gun slots to add more Armor/Shield slots.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
This is by far the most popular Paradox game on this forum. I don't really understand it though. I don't think it has improved that much from its flawed release. Guess many people like the sci-fi setting.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Hryme posted:

This is by far the most popular Paradox game on this forum. I don't really understand it though. I don't think it has improved that much from its flawed release. Guess many people like the sci-fi setting.

I guess a large part is because it starts with an empty map.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

uXs posted:

I guess a large part is because it starts with an empty map.

Starting with the map unexplored, all the little anomalies and events, and exploration organically leading to you filling out your understanding of the galactic political map are all great in the very beginning. Honestly, being real-time-with-pause is a MASSIVE quality of life thing, especially in multiplayer where you're not all hamstrung by the one guy who'd be obsessively micromanaging every. little. thing. every. loving. turn.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hryme posted:

It's definitely a lot the setting/4x elements. I'm not really a huge fan of them which is partly why it's only my third favorite paradox game (behind vicky 2 and eu4), but I think it actually has improved massively since the release. It's certainly changed a lot a least.

There are still a lot of problems though, I agree. Combat is my least favorite part of this game by a large margin and there are a ton of bugs, but I think the FTL, tiles, and diplomacy changes have all been steps in the right direction.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I prefer the EU4 style, with the map filled and you can chose your own challenge from what kind of nation you play. And after the first year or so the exploration got boring to me. I am probably not the target audience.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I opened up the L-Gates, built an outpost in Terminal Egress, and immediately pirates spawned in the system. I'm a machine empire.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The exploration is largely pretty window dressing and fluff with almost no substance beneath, and if you know anything about popular video games you should know that poo poo is BIG.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Deuce posted:

I opened up the L-Gates, built an outpost in Terminal Egress, and immediately pirates spawned in the system. I'm a machine empire.

Probably someone elses unguarded trade route passing through your space

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I would just love it if we could customize our ships more. I would like to sacrifice Armor/Shield slots for additional Afterburner slots. Or sacrifice Gun slots to add more Armor/Shield slots.
I'd like the armour and shield stuff to be moved to the basic side thing like power and engines and instead have more augment slots.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i'm mostly chafing for more augments that matter than just afterburners. regen hulls, shield capacitors. why bother?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Can you stop trade routes from passing through your territory by closing borders to whoever is running that trade route? I'm playing a hive mind and for some reason there is now a trade route going from one entrance to my empire to the only other entrance to my empire. I don't want to have to "secure" a dozen or so systems for no good reason and I don't even know whose trade route it is.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Splicer posted:

I'd like the armour and shield stuff to be moved to the basic side thing like power and engines and instead have more augment slots.

In my ideal world, ship designs would automatically include the best reactor (they don't cost enough to ever make it worthwhile to downgrade them), and then engines, shields, and armor would be sliders. Engines would cost a lot of power but speed up the ship and increase evasion; shields also draw power but don't affect speed; and armor wouldn't cost power but would slow the ship down/make it evade worse. All three would also reduce the available space for actual components, meaning weapons and auxiliaries. That way you can choose to make a flying brick, a super-fast high risk/high reward interceptor, or a slow but really powerful gunboat, etc etc. Engine/shield/armor upgrades would make increasing the sliders more efficient.

Of course, none of that would make much difference given the way combat currently works, but one step at a time...

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Aethernet posted:

I built one of these, discovered it was immensely slow and then left it somewhere and forgot about it. Has anyone found a use for them, given you can repair at captured bases?

It's explicitly a support ship I think.

I use it to great effect as a mobile citadel (hang back and hold a choke point in enemy territory so they can't flank you) and to repair fleets deep in enemy territory. You should have jump drives by the time you get it which helps a lot but it definitely is annoyingly slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

It's explicitly a support ship I think.

I use it to great effect as a mobile citadel (hang back and hold a choke point in enemy territory so they can't flank you) and to repair fleets deep in enemy territory. You should have jump drives by the time you get it which helps a lot but it definitely is annoyingly slow.

The mobile citadel is a good idea; preventing easy backcapping without spending a whole fleet is nice.